Firelions: Lions of fire or just lava via creative writing?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Firelions: Lions of fire or just lava via creative writing?

Literally massive lion-like creatures of raging molten fire
75%
Plain lava. The Lords were just being poetic.
8%
Something else. I need to explain it though.
16%

Total votes: 61

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Just cast my vote and luckily came out with by far the biggest grouping. Pheww! Not sure my already weak ego would have stood being in any but the top poll result - you can tell the herd instinct runs deep in my blood. :?
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Awww...in the minority again in a poll.

Something else, I need to explain....
Heh...but I'm not gonna...there's that rule..."Never Explain."
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

This is kind of an interesting question for me. I originally pictured them as beings more of fire/light energy, only vaguely animal like in nature. But about a year ago, I was thinking of an idea for a tattoo to get for my wife, who is a Leo and a lion-lover, and a strong, passionate woman, and the idea I came up with is a fire-lion with a banner that read "Kiril Threndor, Heart of Thunder". The fire-lion I pictured for the tat was a realistic lion face with a mane of flame.

Unfortunately, my wife didn't understand and hated the idea. It really hurt my feelings. I still think it was a good idea.

Anyway, I just got done with a re-read of LFB, and this time around, I definitely saw more lion-like creatures.
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Shuram Gudatetris wrote:Unfortunately, my wife didn't understand and hated the idea. It really hurt my feelings. I still think it was a good idea.
Shuram - I know you are going to say 'mind your own business' on this, but I have to say it - I'm with your wife on this.
i) The fire Lions are way beyond the point where they could be represented like this, even by the best tattoo artist in the game. It would have finished up looking like a british soccer hooligans fighting tat, or worse the stamp on the side of an english egg.
ii) Your wife was right to stop you from making a bad mistake - and one that you would have had to look at every day for the rest of your life.
iii) Your feelings should not be so delicate that they cannot stand the right and proper imput of your wife into a thing that not only affects you, but her as well. After all she has to be married to a man who every time he takes his shirt off looks like a Millwall fan on a rumble. Hell - all you would need to do to complete the picture would be to paint a Union Jack on your face and pick up a lump of 4 by 2 and you would be ready to go! :lol:
(Sorry if this is all distastefull to you Shuram, no offence intended - and I do understand the hurt feelings because I know I would be exactly the same - probably worse - but trust me, your wife was right on this one and is your best friend as well for saying what she did).
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

peter wrote: ii) Your wife was right to stop you from making a bad mistake - and one that you would have had to look at every day for the rest of your life.
iii) Your feelings should not be so delicate that they cannot stand the right and proper imput of your wife into a thing that not only affects you, but her as well. After all she has to be married to a man who every time he takes his shirt off looks like a Millwall fan on a rumble. Hell - all you would need to do to complete the picture would be to paint a Union Jack on your face and pick up a lump of 4 by 2 and you would be ready to go! :lol:
(Sorry if this is all distastefull to you Shuram, no offence intended - and I do understand the hurt feelings because I know I would be exactly the same - probably worse - but trust me, your wife was right on this one and is your best friend as well for saying what she did).
Looking like an idiot when I take off my shirt and embarrassing myself and my wife wasn't really an issue regarding a tat, because the issue already existed as I hacked my skin to pieces when I was a teenager. I can't go anywhere around acquaintances who have not seen me in a sleeveless shirt, as every time I do, I get the inevitable question: What the hell did you do to your arms?
peter wrote: i) The fire Lions are way beyond the point where they could be represented like this, even by the best tattoo artist in the game. It would have finished up looking like a british soccer hooligans fighting tat, or worse the stamp on the side of an english egg.
I agree that it would have been difficult to capture the essence of a fire-lion in art work, as I myself tried to draw one once and it turned out retarded looking. What upset me was not that she thought it would be a bad tattoo, but that she thought the concept was stupid. These books had a deep and personal impact on me when I was younger, and my idea related two things in my life that meant a lot to me. I don't know, maybe it is stupid. My wife and I aren't together anymore anyway. Go figure.

I maxed-out Tetris!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I can sympathise with your situation there. I haven't experienced the exact same thing, but I have certainly had a woman who claimed to love me deride something personal and important to me.* It's very hurtful. In your case, I think it's one thing to say "I'm not sure that would really work as a tattoo" but entirely another to say it's a stupid idea. For what it's worth, I like the concept, though I agree that it might not be achievable. You'd certainly need a very skilled artist, at least.

*for the record, a member of this site told me I had some writing talent, and my long-term girlfriend scoffed quite heartily when I delightedly told her.
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

CovenantJr wrote:*for the record, a member of this site told me I had some writing talent, and my long-term girlfriend scoffed quite heartily when I delightedly told her.
Ouch....I feel your pain.

I maxed-out Tetris!
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Shuram Gudatetris wrote:
peter wrote: ii) Your wife was right to stop you from making a bad mistake - and one that you would have had to look at every day for the rest of your life.
Looking like an idiot when I take off my shirt and embarrassing myself and my wife wasn't really an issue regarding a tat, because the issue already existed as I hacked my skin to pieces when I was a teenager. I can't go anywhere around acquaintances who have not seen me in a sleeveless shirt, as every time I do, I get the inevitable question: What the hell did you do to your arms?
peter wrote: i) The fire Lions are way beyond the point where they could be represented like this, even by the best tattoo artist in the game. It would have finished up looking like a british soccer hooligans fighting tat, or worse the stamp on the side of an english egg.
I agree that it would have been difficult to capture the essence of a fire-lion in art work, as I myself tried to draw one once and it turned out retarded looking. What upset me was not that she thought it would be a bad tattoo, but that she thought the concept was stupid. These books had a deep and personal impact on me when I was younger, and my idea related two things in my life that meant a lot to me. I don't know, maybe it is stupid. My wife and I aren't together anymore anyway. Go figure.
Wow Man - I never realised it was your EX wife - you never said that! I was just trying to put a better slant on something that had clearly got under your skin big time and maybe help you to see the incident from an alternative side. That obviousy puts a different face on the whole thing. I agree with you man - the b***h had to go!

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

The Fire Lions could well be a representation of courage. Like with the cowardly lion in Oz.

Or like the bible story of how the disciples were given the courage to face the daylight again.

Maybe white gold magic, the power that preserves, can even tame the Lions.

8O HELLFIRE! Berek's army.
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Maybe the Fire Lions are just a bunch of krazy kats?

I maxed-out Tetris!
Darkdenubis
Stonedownor

Post by Darkdenubis »

Rereading the last pages of LFB, Covenant stares in awe as the Fire Lions work their way down the walls....and in some cases UP the walls, trying to reach Urviles that have fled.

Verdict....living creatures of fire.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Didn't think of it before but the fact that the shape of Mount Thunder hasn't changed over time makes me think that these creature are made of fire and not lava. If they were made of lava they would change the outline of the mountain every time they erupted from it. There would be new rock cover where they passed and blocked areas where they settled and cooled down to rock.
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
Darkdenubis
Stonedownor

Post by Darkdenubis »

There would be new rock cover where they passed
Would that be Fire Lion droppings? :D
Feeling Fine Feline
Servant of the Land

Post by Feeling Fine Feline »

They were lions, man. Big cats. Cats is awesome. I'm a damn cat.
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Rigel wrote:Check the Glossary in the books. They state that the Fire Lions are the lava flow of Mount Thunder.
...but not ordinary lava.

Why am I so sure? Because when Covenant and Foamfollower got to Hotash Slay, neither of them remarked on the numerous Fire-Lions in the vicinity. Nor did the text allude to there being Fire-Lions about.

Therefore, they were special. Probably animated lava creatures.
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Just little doodle I did many years ago.

I present a Fire-Lion of Gravin Threndor:

I maxed-out Tetris!
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Shuram Gudatetris wrote:Just little doodle I did many years ago.

I present a Fire-Lion of Gravin Threndor:
That is legitimately awesome.

I want to see a Skurj take on a Fire-Lion. Epic.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Horrim Carabal wrote:I want to see a Skurj take on a Fire-Lion.
I want to know if Gracie and Josh are still a thing.
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

wayfriend wrote: I want to know if Gracie and Josh are still a thing.
Haha, Grace is my ex-wife's niece. I haven't seen her since I was divorced. She wouldn't have any idea who I am now.

She did "help" with the picture. I started drawing a lion or something like that, and she scribbled some lines on it, and it kind of looked like fire. The light bulb turned on in my head and suddenly we were making a Fire Lion.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

A lion drawn on March 29th? March is IN like a lion, out like a lamb.

But no, actually, I like the doodle, thanks for sharing.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”