Torrent
10%
Myste
90%

Total votes: 29

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Skyweir wrote:well his "side" won .. and he came out relatively unscathed ..

the cost of his ruse .. is what has always bothered me ..
I always think of the ubiquitous (there's an SRD word for you) hop-board games...
Joyse had to choose between saving individual pieces and winning the game, between protecting the people he loved and saving the world.

In a way, he did to his daughters what the Creator did to Covenant: maneuvered them into untenable positions to give them the opportunity to do great things. They all made their own choices.

Of all three daughters, I think maybe Torrent was the most free--she'd been manipulated the least. In some ways, that makes her decision to go after her mother the most admirable .

I still like Myste the best though. :D She's the one I could most see myself being friends with.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Yes, tis very easy to like Myste. She would be a good friend, just as she was to Terisa, a frightened stranger. :)
Love as thou wilt.

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

...sort of like the nice people on Kevin's Watch, Duchess.... :wink:
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Myste wrote:
Skyweir wrote:well his "side" won .. and he came out relatively unscathed ..

the cost of his ruse .. is what has always bothered me ..
I always think of the ubiquitous (there's an SRD word for you) hop-board games...
Joyse had to choose between saving individual pieces and winning the game, between protecting the people he loved and saving the world.

In a way, he did to his daughters what the Creator did to Covenant: maneuvered them into untenable positions to give them the opportunity to do great things. They all made their own choices.

Of all three daughters, I think maybe Torrent was the most free--she'd been manipulated the least. In some ways, that makes her decision to go after her mother the most admirable .

I still like Myste the best though. :D She's the one I could most see myself being friends with.
Yeah, I mean Elega is just insufferable.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Maybe misguided, but not insufferable...
fall far and well Pilots!
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

danlo wrote:Maybe misguided, but not insufferable...
...and definitely brave. Brave and proud.

IMO, Elega was the princess most injured by Joyse's choices. She was so very proud of him and his accomplishments--so very proud of her position as the daughter of the man who created Mordant--that when he began to fail, it hit her hard.

In the early conversations she has with Terisa, she chafes at her lack of power. She is full of pride, and completely impotent. Joyse's weakness hits her in her pride ("Father, I am ashamed!"), and when she realizes that the source of all her pride is faulty, she takes matters into her own hands to restore her pride on her own terms--to be proud for who she is, not what she is.

I think her behavior isn't lovable, but it's admirable.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Myste wrote:
danlo wrote:Maybe misguided, but not insufferable...
...and definitely brave. Brave and proud.

IMO, Elega was the princess most injured by Joyse's choices. She was so very proud of him and his accomplishments--so very proud of her position as the daughter of the man who created Mordant--that when he began to fail, it hit her hard.

In the early conversations she has with Terisa, she chafes at her lack of power. She is full of pride, and completely impotent. Joyse's weakness hits her in her pride ("Father, I am ashamed!"), and when she realizes that the source of all her pride is faulty, she takes matters into her own hands to restore her pride on her own terms--to be proud for who she is, not what she is.

I think her behavior isn't lovable, but it's admirable.
Not to me... I don't like her, but then again... I am weird. :?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

what else is new... :screwy: :P
fall far and well Pilots!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

:(
Ninquelote
Ramen

Post by Ninquelote »

Elega is my favourite princess.

Being the oldest sister can't be easy, and Elega carries that "burden" very well. She's aware of her position, and is not afraid of responsibility.
Spoiler
She acts when her sister Myste (for example) rather trust his father, but not knowing that he's actually gone insane. Elega's goal was to save Mordant. She even betrayed her own father to save many more lives.
She's also fighting for her rights as a woman (living in those cruel times, it can't be easy ;)). She's certainly a woman to look up to.

She's not like my really, Myste is more like me. I prefer dreaming and challenges, but still I like Elega the most.
My God, it's full of stars!
-Dave Bowman
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Myste is my favorite.
Ninquelote
Ramen

Post by Ninquelote »

Matrixman wrote:Myste is my favorite.
Why don't you tell me why then? :wink:
-Dave Bowman
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Myste seems like a gal who won't bite my head off if I try to chat with her. :)

(Of course, I could be wrong...)
Ninquelote
Ramen

Post by Ninquelote »

Heh, okey. They both have obstacles and good sides. Yet you can't deny Elega was born to be a queen? :)
-Dave Bowman
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

No, I don't deny Elega was born to be a queen: she is a regal individual worthy of her station. If it's a question of throne worthiness, then Elega wins over her sisters by a landslide. But that doesn't change my feelings about who my favorite princess is. You're talking about political leadership, I'm talking about friendship.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Ninquelote wrote:Heh, okey. They both have obstacles and good sides. Yet you can't deny Elega was born to be a queen? :)
I would, as I pretty much loathe her. :P She´s, but nicely, a cow. Joyse probably wouldn´t have been considered as a person born to be King (Even though he was) :P But he ruled. 8)
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

SPOILERS--don't read if you haven't finished AMRT!

I think Elega will make a great Consort to the Regent of Cadwal. Cadwal is a place where power, and wielding it effectively, are the most important things. If there's anything that Elega understands, it's power--both what it feels like to use it, and what it feels like to be denied it.

I don't think she'd rule as effectively in Mordant, which, when Alend & Cadwal aren't trying to crush it, is more about keeping relations between the Cares diplomatic, and making sure the economy stays on an even keel. She doesn't have the ability to conciliate anyone. Torrent, shy as she is, will be perfect.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Myste wrote:SPOILERS--don't read if you haven't finished AMRT!

I think Elega will make a great Consort to the Regent of Cadwal. Cadwal is a place where power, and wielding it effectively, are the most important things. If there's anything that Elega understands, it's power--both what it feels like to use it, and what it feels like to be denied it.

I don't think she'd rule as effectively in Mordant, which, when Alend & Cadwal aren't trying to crush it, is more about keeping relations between the Cares diplomatic, and making sure the economy stays on an even keel. She doesn't have the ability to conciliate anyone. Torrent, shy as she is, will be perfect.
Hang on, I though Terisa was taking over? :?
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Darth Revan wrote:Hang on, I though Terisa was taking over? :?
Heck no!
Spoiler
She gets married & lives happily ever after, presumably making mirrors & babies and fooling around with Imagery & whatnot.
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Khat »

Myste. .. I like her. .. She dreams. .. and when she follows her dreams great things happen.
[spoiler]"...the loveliness of the Land has only grown more precious to me as my senses have been
opened...To turn homeward now would be to pass from treasure-berries to dust."
-- Liand to Linden [P324 Runes][/spoiler]

Return to “Mordant's Need”