The Power That Preserves, ch 17: The Spoiled Plains

LFB, TIW, TPTP

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

babybottomfeeder

Post by babybottomfeeder »

When they look it didn’t work out considering, Foamfollower. Through an inner journey anyone reading this can think of Bannor, weighed, glad he didn’t describe the Giants.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

TPTP 17- The Spoiled Plains

Post by Cord Hurn »

Foamfollower1013 wrote:
"But it is said that hunger teaches many things. My friend, a wealth of wisdom awaits us on this journey."

Covenant shivered. He had had some experience with hunger. And now the possibility of starvation lay ahead of him; his forehead had been reinjured; he would have to walk a long distance on bare feet. One by one, the conditions of his return to his own life were being met. As he tightened the sash of his robe, he muttered sourly, "I heard Hyrim say once that wisdom is only skin-deep. Or something like that. Which means that lepers must be the wisest people in the world."

"Are they?" the Giant asked. "Are you wise, Unbeliever?"

"Who knows? If I am - wisdom is overrated."

At this, Foamfollower's grin broadened. "Perhaps it is - perhaps it is. My friend, we are the two wisest hearts in the Land - we who march thus weaponless and unredeemed into the very bosom of the Despiser. Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing - but who would willingly partake of it?"
At last he rubbed the caked fatigue out of his eyes and sat up. Foamfollower was gazing at him with amusement. "Ah, Covenant," the Giant said, "we are a pair. You are so bedraggled and sober - And I fear my own appearance is not improved." He struck a begrimed pose. "What is your opinion?"

For a moment, Foamfollower looked as gay and carefree as a playing child. The sight gave Covenant a pang. How long had it been since he had heard the Giant laugh? "Wash your face," he croaked with as much humor as he could manage. "You look ridiculous."

"You honor me," Foamfollower returned. But he did not laugh.
-------------------

The little exchanges like those last two are what I love most about this chapter - and the book itself, for that matter. I love the Covenant-Foamfollower dynamic more than any other relationship in the whole series. It makes the books come alive. :)

They are a pair, indeed. 8)

~Foamy~
The exchanges between Foamfollower and Covenant in the passages from this chapter quoted above are why I consider the Foamfollower-Covenant relationship to be one of the best I've ever read in fiction. The writing here is simple, yet it touches me; always makes me smile. :)

Return to “1st Chronicles”