NationStates2

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Stonemaybe wrote:I can't get on site at all...
Has it started working for you, Stone? I finally received issues about noon here. The site has been up and down since, but mostly up.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

...grumble...

My GPD went down. Why???
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

As did mine. I think I read somewhere that the mods were introducing some sort of new rule re GDP. I know I got a warning along the lines of 'don't worry of your GDP goes down it'll happen to most people' last turn.

and i was 25th in the world re GDP last turn, this turn it mine went down 8million, but i'm still 25th.

I joined the 'cheese producers' alliance yesterday. I'm hesitant to ask the administrator to ask you to join menolly, in case he suspects invasion, but perhaps you can ask to join? there's no rules, all ranks are equal, and you can make up your own rank named after your favourite cheese! I chose 'stinking bishop' not cos it's my fave, but it seemed suitable for a rank, and also fits the other meaning of 'rank', if you see what I mean :biggrin:
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I was invited to join them like two weeks ago...
But I'm not a cheese producer!

???
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Menolly wrote:I was invited to join them like two weeks ago...
But I'm not a cheese producer!

???
No-one is! Cheese is not one of the metrics used on NS2, so they've decided that if possible (and there's no compulsion) you try and take the option to relevant issues that would lead to more food being produced, fine foods if possible.

I just said yes cos it seems like an easy way to get introduced to alliances, and it's a bit of fun, maybe.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Fair enough...

We can still join other alliances as well, such as Andelain once Av joins in and creates it, right?
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

yup

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

8:30-ish here, and no new issues today.
The site did have a database crash mid-afternoon, although I have every thing back that was there before the crash.
Just no new issues yet today.

Maybe I'll wake up to four issues tomorrow...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Oh! Now this is interesting...
game developer Lydias wrote:The good news is that you can now change continent - once and once only per nation. This is done by going to the continent you wish to join and pressing the Move to the this continent button. You should then get a message telling you that you will only get one move. So choose wisely and make sure that you have the correct nation selected!
Stone, do you want to switch over to Australia where danlo is? I'm not too impressed with Asia...

Or shall we wait until the game goes live, or more join us, and choose a continent that most Watchers wind up on?
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I'm easy on the whole continent thing. Not had anything to do with them yet. And no issues here either - 12 hours late!

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Let's wait until it goes live, then.
It says we can only change one time.
May as well choose to be where most Watchers settle, once they join in.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

oh wow I am loving this game! I got a great issue today that had me really scratching my head! 'A clash of industries'. My 2 biggest industries, banana and firearms, both want to develop in the same region, do i support one over the other or split support, limiting both?

My banana industry has a capacity of 6.67 million units, firearms 11.2. But I consume all my own bananas to satisfy food (which I still have unsatisfied needs of every day though it's not as bad as it was), whereas I sell all my firearms (usually to the illumined :D ), and that is my single biggest export, and I use the money to buy materials and energy (of which I still end up with unsatisfied needs).

i have a suspicion that the 50-50 support will end up satisfying neither side, so I've gone with bananas, on the rationale that if I can boost banana production enough, I might be able to use my sheep to provide clothing needs and wine+fish for medical (both of which are also short!), instead of both being used for food.

If there had been any food, clothing, or medical available to buy on the world market, I would probably have gone with firearms.

Edit - one of yesterday's issues was a biggie! 'The Rat Race', if you accept the option to keep the wheels of industry turning and have an unlimited working week, all your industries go up by at least 0.5 million units capacity(some alot more). It also improves your economic freedoms, which means I'm back to being a benevolent dictatorship instead of a libertarian police state :biggrin:

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Stonemaybe wrote:oh wow I am loving this game! I got a great issue today that had me really scratching my head! 'A clash of industries'. My 2 biggest industries, banana and firearms, both want to develop in the same region, do i support one over the other or split support, limiting both?

My banana industry has a capacity of 6.67 million units, firearms 11.2. But I consume all my own bananas to satisfy food (which I still have unsatisfied needs of every day though it's not as bad as it was), whereas I sell all my firearms (usually to the illumined :D ), and that is my single biggest export, and I use the money to buy materials and energy (of which I still end up with unsatisfied needs).

i have a suspicion that the 50-50 support will end up satisfying neither side, so I've gone with bananas, on the rationale that if I can boost banana production enough, I might be able to use my sheep to provide clothing needs and wine+fish for medical (both of which are also short!), instead of both being used for food.

If there had been any food, clothing, or medical available to buy on the world market, I would probably have gone with firearms.
I had these same two come up in the past couple of days. My choices were between minerals and hydro-electricity. I went with the energy source. It seems to have been a good choice so far.

Personally, I am still waiting for the option to make firearms illegal in The Illumined, Stone... :twisted:
Stonemaybe wrote:Edit - one of yesterday's issues was a biggie! 'The Rat Race', if you accept the option to keep the wheels of industry turning and have an unlimited working week, all your industries go up by at least 0.5 million units capacity(some alot more). It also improves your economic freedoms, which means I'm back to being a benevolent dictatorship instead of a libertarian police state :biggrin:
This is why you're one of the top twenty (or whatever) economies on World 20, and I'm way at the bottom. I chose the more leisure time option, and my industries went down. In particular my food sources, from an average of 1.43 units of each to 1.0. Not a good choice when food is in such high demand and short supply. But, my people seem happy, if hungry...

My economic freedoms are still "unheard of." At least I haven't "imploded." Yet.

Still holding as a solid "Corrupt Dictatorship." In both versions of the game. :biggrin:
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

After being down a lot of the day since my last post, the site came back up. I am missing the past three days of issue resolutions, which is a good thing, as my GDP and my unit capacity output is back up to where it was before I elected to cut back on the hours in the work week.

But, I had gained a new favored trade partner in the last couple of days, and they are now gone. I don't know if they'll choose to reset trade to favored.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

:? Yes I've lost last two days' worth of gains, incl the Rat Race one which was so great for my economy, and nothing on clash of industries which is very very annoying cos I was really looking forward to seeing what effect that one had.

What a way to start a Monday morning - disgruntled by a computer game :roll:

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Stonemaybe wrote::? Yes I've lost last two days' worth of gains, incl the Rat Race one which was so great for my economy, and nothing on clash of industries which is very very annoying cos I was really looking forward to seeing what effect that one had.

What a way to start a Monday morning - disgruntled by a computer game :roll:
My results from "clash of industries," which I did yesterday...
minerals is in decline in The Illumined as the government recently decided to exert increased control over industrial development. The favored hydro-electric energy industry is thriving.

Industries
Solar cells: 1.00 million units capacity.
Hydro-electricity: 10.03 million units capacity.
Fish: 1.00 million units capacity.
Minerals: 2.81 million units capacity.
Sheep: 2.00 million units capacity.
Scooters: 2.00 million units capacity.
Dancing monkeys: 1.00 million units capacity.
Cement: 2.14 million units capacity.
Minerals was at 6.xx million units and hydro-electricty was at 5.xx million units. So, it's quite a hit to the industry you don't support, and a boost to the one you do. Although the overall number seems to equal the same production, if you understand what I mean.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

All's well in world 20 again!

Up to 9th biggest GDP in the world, back to benevolent dictatorship, most of my population are well fed, hospitals are brimming with medicals supplies.

Major clothing shortage, and minor transportation shortage, but :D I can live with those at the moment!

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Still not so good in The Illumined, but it's a beta so I'll keep playing my instincts and not necessarily what might be the best choice economically.

Today I received...
"Eureka or the government's eka?"

Your well funded government research facilities are starting to bear fruit and have come up with several benefits for the good of the nation. What's still left to decide is, what shall The Illumined do with this new bounty?

"These advancements have incubated well within the research facility, but they've reached a point where they would benefit the public more with the drive and competition of the private sector," comments noted researcher Kerrick Hodge. "A few of us government techies would like to start a software company, 'Lab 72', to create some jobs for citizens and make a little money ourselves."

"Privatize these advancements? Why on earth would we do that?!" questions Colonel S. Anders. "We could transfer a little of this new technology into a great deal of military power and keep this nation safe from our enemies."

"Hey, the people paid for this with their tax dollars so we should all reap the benefits," suggests Ricky S. Tallman. "Open up the knowledge to the public domain and let everyone take whatever they can use."

This is the position that your nation is preparing to adopt.

Dismiss this issue
...and...
"Plague of Irritation"

An outbreak of Severely Irritating Response Syndrome (SIRS) is spreading throughout The Illumined, causing victims to respond to innocent questions with phrases like "Go die in a fire," "Want to buy an hero," and "can has lulz?" Panic stricken citizens are desperate for a government response.

"Aargh! The next time my daughter Mariana says, 'OMG' I'm going to drive my car into the ocean," exclaims Lorraine Montgomery. "Increase health care spending so that we can combat this viral menace."

"Enough with the government spending," cries Alex Truberg. "The first victim is known to have walked the sand with the crustaceans; it must be a bacterial issue. We need to let the private sector handle this with our own antibiotics industry."

"The problem with SIRS is that we don't really know enough about it to fight it properly," cautions Francis Black. "We should pump some money into government research to help us find our way."

Dismiss this issue
Looking at Inis Rua's National Happenings from yesterday, and your private sector, I see your antibiotics industry is thriving, Stone; and I suspect you chose choice 2 on the "Plague of Irritation" issue. But, I want to see what happens if I fund government research into the so-called "plague," and what happens if I open the findings to the public instead of allowing a private company to be built. With the repetition of issues, I can always take a different approach next time through, or after the reset when the game goes live.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Menolly wrote:
"Eureka or the government's eka?"

Your well funded government research facilities are starting to bear fruit and have come up with several benefits for the good of the nation. What's still left to decide is, what shall The Illumined do with this new bounty?

"These advancements have incubated well within the research facility, but they've reached a point where they would benefit the public more with the drive and competition of the private sector," comments noted researcher Kerrick Hodge. "A few of us government techies would like to start a software company, 'Lab 72', to create some jobs for citizens and make a little money ourselves."

"Privatize these advancements? Why on earth would we do that?!" questions Colonel S. Anders. "We could transfer a little of this new technology into a great deal of military power and keep this nation safe from our enemies."

"Hey, the people paid for this with their tax dollars so we should all reap the benefits," suggests Ricky S. Tallman. "Open up the knowledge to the public domain and let everyone take whatever they can use."

Dismiss this issue
Result from this choice...
1 hour ago The intellectual circles of The Illumined are all abuzz with the amazing knowledge and technology released by government researchers.
Menolly wrote:
"Plague of Irritation"

An outbreak of Severely Irritating Response Syndrome (SIRS) is spreading throughout The Illumined, causing victims to respond to innocent questions with phrases like "Go die in a fire," "Want to buy an hero," and "can has lulz?" Panic stricken citizens are desperate for a government response.

"Aargh! The next time my daughter Mariana says, 'OMG' I'm going to drive my car into the ocean," exclaims Lorraine Montgomery. "Increase health care spending so that we can combat this viral menace."

"Enough with the government spending," cries Alex Truberg. "The first victim is known to have walked the sand with the crustaceans; it must be a bacterial issue. We need to let the private sector handle this with our own antibiotics industry."

"The problem with SIRS is that we don't really know enough about it to fight it properly," cautions Francis Black. "We should pump some money into government research to help us find our way."

Dismiss this issue
And that result...
1 hour ago Newly opened research facilities are furiously researching cures for SIRS and other national ailments.
My industries were pretty much unchanged today...
Industries
Solar cells: 1.00 million units capacity.
Hydroelectricity: 11.15 million units capacity.
Fish: 1.00 million units capacity.
Minerals: 3.19 million units capacity.
Sheep: 2.00 million units capacity.
Scooters: 2.00 million units capacity.
Dancing monkeys: 1.00 million units capacity.
Cement: 2.45 million units capacity.
So it looks like your choice of going with the private sector with the antibiotics and the research knowledge did no harm and definitely helped your DRP, Stone. Well played.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

So it looks like your choice of going with the private sector with the antibiotics and the research knowledge did no harm and definitely helped your DRP, Stone. Well played.
It gave me an antibiotics industry of six-point-something million capacity, from scratch, which has nearly met my unsatisfied medical needs on its own!

on first check today..grr I've now gone from a benevolent dictatorship to 'Capitalizt' what's that about don't remember seeing that one before!
my GDP has taken another blow (down to 18th now), but that looks to be because the price of everything on the world market has tumbled - maybe due to so many people upping their industries on the rat race issue, though if that's the case there still isn't very much produce available to buy there! Unless alot of alliances are using favored trading status to form closed markets.

got 'clash of industries' again today - hopefully it'll work this time! Chose bananas over firearms again, for reasons above but also because bananas are more than twice the price of firearms at the moment. Menolly - at the moment, I only have 2.8 unsatisfied needs of food a day, if bananas industry increases more than that, maybe i'll be able to sell you some! Unless it changes my sheep from food to clothing.

Return to “Nationstates”