Chamber of Secrets: Chapter 6, "Guilderoy Lockhart"

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Chamber of Secrets: Chapter 6, "Guilderoy Lockhart"

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

We start off at breakfast where the flood of owls bringing students forgotten things brings us something new called a howler. Ron receives a howler from Mrs. Weasley which he opens to his most embarrassed chagrin filling the hall full of Mrs. Weasley's much amplified voice taking him to task for stealing the car. Just afterwards Professor McGonnagall hands out the course schedules and the trio head off to Herbology. As they approach the greenhouses Harry is cornered by Lockhart who boisterously admonishes him about trying to get attention interspersed with self aggrandizing comments about his own fame. Lockhart finally shuts up and Harry manages to get into the greenhouse and join his class to re-pot mandrakes. During this class we meet a Hufflepuff by the name of Justin Finch Flechley and also discover that Justin is muggleborn. After class they head to transfiguration where we discover just how useless Ron's wand has become and also that Ron has not told his parents about it having been broken. He has tried to mend the wand with spellotape.

They then head to lunch and after the courtyard where we meet another student named Colin Creevey. Colin is also muggleborn. Colin is also a shutterbug which is something I can identify with. He asks Harry if he can take a picture with him and then get it autographed. Unfortunately Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle overhear this and start to give Harry a hard time until Lockhart strides into the courtyard and takes over by forcing himself into the picture. Lockhart then gives Harry some more unwanted and vacuous advice about handling fame while pimping himself some more. The trio heads into Defense Against the Dark Arts class and are subjected to a quiz about Lockhart's likes and awards and even a self aggrandizing question about which of his many feats do the students think are his greatest accomplishment. Hermione gets full marks but at least has the grace to blush about it.

Bring on the Cornish Pixies. Lockhart then releases a cage full of angry pixies and mayhem in the classroom ensues. Poor Neville is hung from the chandelier and later falls from his precarious position. Lockhart tries to re-cage the pixies but is completely useless to the point of having his wand stolen by the pixies and thrown out the window. He is saved by the bell and ducks out leaving our fave trio to clean up his mess. Harry complains, Hermione defends Lockhart and Ron casts aspersions on Lockhart's self proclaimed skills.

One vitally important thing about this chapter is that during the course of classes we see how skilled Hermione is but it is also clearly delineated just how much she relies on and how much blind faith she puts into the written word. She is willing to believe every word of Lockhart's books because they are WRITTEN and is blind to what is right in front of her face. Ron is able to see what an ass he is right away. Rowling even uses the phrase "sounding as usual as though she had swallowed the textbook" when describing Hermione's answers in Herbology. This clearly tells us that an important part of Hermione's journey in this series is to learn to think "outside of the box" or in this case, outside of the book.

We also learn something important about Ron. His reaction when Harry tells him to write home about the wand is pretty petulant. He says that his parents would respond with an admonition that it's his own fault and implies that his parents wouldn't replace the wand anyway.

We also learn something about Harry. He feels guilty enough about Mrs. Weasley's anger and Mr. Weasley undergoing an inquiry at work that he gets too nauseous to eat anymore. Harry is a very emotional and compassionate person. He reacts directly in accordance with how people treat him. He hates those who are cruel to him or others, he loves those who are kind to him and he respects those who respect him as well as ignores those who disregard him. Examples? Snape/Malfoy, the Weasleys, Professor McGonnagall, Lockhart.

On a side note, on another thread and I don't remember which one, there was some discussion about moving photographs and how they come to be and in this chapter I found the reference I had skimmed for before. Colin clearly states that if you develop the film in a certain potion the photos will move so it's potions magic that makes this happen in case anyone was still curious.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Re: Chamber of Secrets: Chapter 6, "Guilderoy Lockhart&

Post by Menolly »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:One vitally important thing about this chapter is that during the course of classes we see how skilled Hermione is but it is also clearly delineated just how much she relies on and how much blind faith she puts into the written word. She is willing to believe every word of Lockhart's books because they are WRITTEN and is blind to what is right in front of her face. Ron is able to see what an ass he is right away. Rowling even uses the phrase "sounding as usual as though she had swallowed the textbook" when describing Hermione's answers in Herbology. This clearly tells us that an important part of Hermione's journey in this series is to learn to think "outside of the box" or in this case, outside of the book.
And that happens ever so gradually over time. I think it will be interesting to take note of the baby steps Hermione takes on this journey as we come across them.
Cameraman Jenn wrote:We also learn something important about Ron. His reaction when Harry tells him to write home about the wand is pretty petulant. He says that his parents would respond with an admonition that it's his own fault and implies that his parents wouldn't replace the wand anyway.
I personally think if he had owned up to it then, the wand would have been replaced. But I also do think Ron may have gotten another Howler over it as well. A tough call for a 12 year old.
Cameraman Jenn wrote:We also learn something about Harry. He feels guilty enough about Mrs. Weasley's anger and Mr. Weasley undergoing an inquiry at work that he gets too nauseous to eat anymore. Harry is a very emotional and compassionate person. He reacts directly in accordance with how people treat him. He hates those who are cruel to him or others, he loves those who are kind to him and he respects those who respect him as well as ignores those who disregard him. Examples? Snape/Malfoy, the Weasleys, Professor McGonnagall, Lockhart.
hmm...
Yet, he tries to ignore Colin Creevy, when he can.
Cameraman Jenn wrote:On a side note, on another thread and I don't remember which one, there was some discussion about moving photographs and how they come to be and in this chapter I found the reference I had skimmed for before. Colin clearly states that if you develop the film in a certain potion the photos will move so it's potions magic that makes this happen in case anyone was still curious.
Well done, Jenn!
Thanks for getting us back on track. :biggrin:
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Well, my take on Colin Creevey. One, Harry doesn't exactly revel in his fame which is part of his reaction to Lockhart as well and Colin is that creepy fan that just won't go away. PLUS, Colin's very introduction causes a majorly embarrassing moment for Harry as well as a run in with Malfoy and crew. It's in keeping with my statement about him reacting to how he is treated and then subsequently treats people. I say this because he meets Colin and is immediately embarrassed, mocked and then admonished. That combo would cause anyone to feel the need to avoid that situation in the future and thus the catalyst, Colin.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

All good points.
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Re: Chamber of Secrets: Chapter 6, "Guilderoy Lockhart&

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Menolly wrote:
Cameraman Jenn wrote:We also learn something important about Ron. His reaction when Harry tells him to write home about the wand is pretty petulant. He says that his parents would respond with an admonition that it's his own fault and implies that his parents wouldn't replace the wand anyway.
I personally think if he had owned up to it then, the wand would have been replaced. But I also do think Ron may have gotten another Howler over it as well. A tough call for a 12 year old.
Not to mention that Ron is probably VERY aware of the family's financial straits as well. Malfoy probably could get his dad to buy him a whole box full of wands where as Ron is at the far end of the extreme. So even a 12 year old knows that buying a new wand would put undue hardship on his already burdened parents. Something I think that is happening deep down inside and at the furthest corners of his mind. If pressed then I would imagine that he'd get angry about it to the person pressing him. [/quote]
Cameraman Jenn wrote:We also learn something about Harry. He feels guilty enough about Mrs. Weasley's anger and Mr. Weasley undergoing an inquiry at work that he gets too nauseous to eat anymore. Harry is a very emotional and compassionate person. He reacts directly in accordance with how people treat him. He hates those who are cruel to him or others, he loves those who are kind to him and he respects those who respect him as well as ignores those who disregard him. Examples? Snape/Malfoy, the Weasleys, Professor McGonnagall, Lockhart.
hmm...
Yet, he tries to ignore Colin Creevy, when he can. [/quote] Yeah but Colin is an annoying little git anyway. Like a kid brother always tagging along. 12 year olds just do NOT want that kind of atmosphere about them.
Cameraman Jenn wrote:On a side note, on another thread and I don't remember which one, there was some discussion about moving photographs and how they come to be and in this chapter I found the reference I had skimmed for before. Colin clearly states that if you develop the film in a certain potion the photos will move so it's potions magic that makes this happen in case anyone was still curious.
Well done, Jenn!
Thanks for getting us back on track. :biggrin:[/quote] Agreed, nice job.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Colin was always a bit annoying, but his heart was in the right place and certainly he showed a kind of courage. I always had a bit of soft spot for him.

It amuses me that Hermione is so ga-ga for Gilderoy Lockhart, which suggests to me this is the first time she's really noticed boys. And while Harry finds her behavior baffling and silly, Ron acts as if this were some kind of personal insult. Well, between the three it'll be Hermione who notices that first. Heh heh.

One of the thing this book does very well, and the business with the Howler is a good example--is portray how children and adults have such totally different priorities. They really do live in different worlds.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Well, at least the boys WANTED to GET to school... but then school for us Muggles was NEVER like Hogwarts! :D
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”