For RockSister and Menolly: The First and Pitchwife

A place to share and discuss fan made artwork of the Chronicles.

Moderator: danlo

Kevin164
Giantfriend

For RockSister and Menolly: The First and Pitchwife

Post by Kevin164 »

I was asked on another post about these two so drug out the first sketch I did for the First and Pitchwife. This is a quick sketch to feel out the characters but it's the only one I have. If I get a chance to ever slow down and take some time on my drawings I will submit a more detailed work of these two popular characters hopefully soon.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

*bows*

Thank you Kevin.
I am humbled by your quick response.
This is wonderful, and I look forward to you expanding upon your vision of The First and Pitchwife.
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

My pleasure for a fellow Pernesses trapped on earth.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Ooo...
...now I just gotta ask...
Have you done anything with Pern?

...yeah, yeah...off topic, I know Sheriff...
But I don't know if Kevin would see that question in the McCaffrey thread...
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

Pern was one my most beloved escapes during some harsh times when I was a teenager. I have done some drawings for the original three books and the Harper Hall trilogy. I stopped following the series after The Dolphins of Pern because I think If I could I would partake in the era of F'lar and Lessa and the lead up to the discovery of AVIAS. The newest books somewhat lost me.

but yes I do have sketches of the Dragons, the main riders, your avatar and the Master, as well the Fire Lizards.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Kevin164 wrote:Pern was one my most beloved escapes during some harsh times when I was a teenager. I have done some drawings for the original three books and the Harper Hall trilogy. I stopped following the series after The Dolphins of Pern because I think If I could I would partake in the era of F'lar and Lessa and the lead up to the discovery of AVIAS. The newest books somewhat lost me.

but yes I do have sketches of the Dragons, the main riders, your avatar and the Master, as well the Fire Lizards.
Since this is straying way off topic, I relocated our conversation to the Dragonriders of Pern thread down in General Fantasy/Sci-Fi...
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

:? Can we deduct WGDs from thread derailers? :? If not I guess we'll just have to knock the other planets they live on off course... :P
fall far and well Pilots!
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

danlo wrote::? Can we deduct WGDs from thread derailers?
Oh man, I hope not. If that happens I will likely end up owing Jay a white gold ring...
... nobody I know.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

danlo wrote::? Can we deduct WGDs from thread derailers? :? If not I guess we'll just have to knock the other planets they live on off course... :P
:|

...love you too, danlo...

...and I even moved the conversation on my own without being told first...sheesh...
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Kevin, awesome start! Blackhawk, see you? Kevin is one-upping you! I picture the First with waist-length black/dark gray hair, some smaller braids hanging down in front of her ears, a la Legolas. She has a stern look, but a softness in her gaze. Not a MAD look, just serious. It will be hard to capture that. I see her wearing Xena-esque clothing, but not quite as revealing on top; she is after all a warrior, and that is not practical. Pitchwife makes me think of Quasimodo for some reason. Always smiling with a mischievous look. I picture him with red hair for some reason; I'm not sure that is even mentioned in the books. I don't think her hair color is either, "Iron beauty" is where I got the idea. Metal greaves and gauntlets, too. I'm excited to see where this goes. It looks like most everyone thinks these two characters will be awesome to portray.
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

Found a cool web site for a company that actually makes female armor, chain mail, greaves, gauntlets, bustiers. I am not including the link because this one pic is the best inspiration on the site. Drat it won't me copy it here!!! Bummer!!! So here's the page. Sorry.
www.schmitthenner.com/Female_armor.html[/img]

One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

Actually BlackHawk's work is an art form harder to create using Maya. So I see him as a unique talent unto himself and the format he has chosen to address his creativity. He's one step away from computer animation.

Like I said this is the first and only sketch I have of the First and Pitchwife. I have been considering how to capture her facial expression but I am such a cartoon man I can't quite get it serious without looking like she's ready to kill some little annoying brat at the mall.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

We have faith you will figure her out. :)
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

Second attempt.
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

Very nice, Kevin!
... nobody I know.
Rocksister
Giantfriend

Post by Rocksister »

You got the facial expression better, Kevin. She looks serious, but also feminine. Like "I'm gorgeous and sweet, but you do NOT want to mess with me." I'm not into any kind of art because I can't envision anything in my little pea brain at all, so everything looks good compared to my ruler and pencil stick figures. My cousin used to draw pencil sketch portraits using nothing but a number two pencil and they were museum worthy. I sat for him once and I was blown away. He captured emotion and attitude and insinuation, all with a 10 cent pencil. I wish I had one percent of his talent. It appears that you and Blackhawk, among others whose work I have seen in the Album, have that same talent. I envy you. Feed my poor impoverished soul..........

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Rocksister wrote:You got the facial expression better, Kevin. She looks serious, but also feminine. Like "I'm gorgeous and sweet, but you do NOT want to mess with me." I'm not into any kind of art because I can't envision anything in my little pea brain at all, so everything looks good compared to my ruler and pencil stick figures. My cousin used to draw pencil sketch portraits using nothing but a number two pencil and they were museum worthy. I sat for him once and I was blown away. He captured emotion and attitude and insinuation, all with a 10 cent pencil. I wish I had one percent of his talent. It appears that you and Blackhawk, among others whose work I have seen in the Album, have that same talent. I envy you. Feed my poor impoverished soul..........
^what she said, more eloquently than I ever could^
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Rocksister wrote: Like "I'm gorgeous and sweet, but you do NOT want to mess with me."
Just think Maria Sharipova.

Return to “The Chronicles Art Gallery”