What if a baby accidentally said, "Nom"?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

jehannum_2000
Stonedownor

What if a baby accidentally said, "Nom"?

Post by jehannum_2000 »

Just a thought! Baby babbling - it's possible one of the Sandgorgon's names could be said.

What would happen?

Pete.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I think that when you say a sandgorgons name you have to know that that's what it is.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

:lol: :lol: spoken like a true Raver Jenannum of course you'd be taking advantage of the natural lisp that babies have by cooing at them: "say numb, say numb, c'mon baby say numb".... "nom" then you runaway laughing :twisted: bwhaha ha ha ha
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

As Variol Son said, I think there would have to be intent. Otherwise whenever "nom" comes up as part of a word, like in "nominate" chaos might ensue. :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

A name is only a name if you know that it is a name. Otherwise you would get some very interesting effects.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

And that's why it's a good thing TC wasn't french.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Hmm, I did wonder about the fact that Nom's name is "name"...if that sentence isn't too confusing :lol:

lol, Dutchess... "And the NOMinations ar-ARRGH!!"

It would certainly make Oscar night more interesting 8)
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

From a poor 80s horror movie "The Evil" :

"To speak the name of evil is to ask evil home"
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

CovenantJr wrote:It would certainly make Oscar night more interesting 8)
Hahaha! *crash* *crunch* *urk*
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

nom........nom............nom..............nom.............I'm still alive because I was saying "name" in French
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I can't remember the name of the haruchai who Kasreyn forced to say "Nom", but I doubt he knew the significance of the word at the time, and therefore would have had no 'intent' to summon the Sandgorgon.
Therefore, dead baby.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

it was hergrom... i think... right? :s now i have a suspision that it was cail :| god damn you! my inevitable correctness is ruined!!!
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

No - you were right, it was Hergrom. If it had been Cail, he probably would'nt have survived till the last book. Hergrom ended up dead, because he said the name. Ceer ended up with a shattered leg because he tried to help Hergrom, but NOM wasn't allowed to kill Ceer, because of the nature of the Sandgorgons Doom. The Gorgons could only escape the vortex if their name was spoken, and then once they killed that unlucky soul, they were not allowed to harm anyone or anything else. They were immediately drawn back to the Doom. Ceer could have stood right next to Hergrom and done nothing, and he would have been fine. He was injured because he interfered.
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Navarino wrote:I can't remember the name of the haruchai who Kasreyn forced to say "Nom", but I doubt he knew the significance of the word at the time, and therefore would have had no 'intent' to summon the Sandgorgon.
Therefore, dead baby.
But Hergrom knew that he was speaking the name of a sandgorgon and that that would summon the creature to punish him, because the Kemper told him so. A baby wouldn't understand that.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Gil galad
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gil galad »

true that
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Yeah Hergrom knew, I reckon.

Live baby.
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

I always found Hergrom's behavior in this scene to be a very interesting insight into the general character of the Haruchai. Through most of the Chrons, we are only ever exposed to Haruchai who do what they do because of a Vow they've taken. All of the Bloodguard, obviously, had the strictures of their Vow to act upon. The second Chrons Haruchai were much the same. They swore a Vow, and thus, their duty was very clear to them. We get very few, if any, other chances to see Haruchai acting outside the boundaries of a very specific set of duties. But in this one instance, we get another tiny glimpse into the Haruchai mind. Hergrom fisrt refused to say the name that would kill him. But when the life of an innocent woman was threatened, a woman who was not counted among the companions of the quest, a woman who was a servant to one who was obviously a threat to the company, and specifically to Hergrom himself, a woman who was not even of the Land, still he was willing to risk his life to protect an innocent.

Not that any of us ever doubted such would be the case if a like situation ever occured, but it was cool to see just such a situation played out. Hergrom died for Lady Alif as much as for any member of the company, because he saw her as an innocent, and he could not do otherwise. It never would have even crossed his mind to allow this woman to die to reduce danger to himself. The very definition of a hero. Hergrom of the Haruchai, HAIL!
:Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail:

*sigh* I think I got my point across, but that really was pretty garbled wasn't it? I have so much going on right now, all logical point-to point discourse has fled me. :roll: ;)
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Nah, very well said. I haven't thought about that in a long time.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Ur-Chico
Stonedownor

Post by Ur-Chico »

Yes, Birdandbear, very well said. I also thought it was intruiging that the other Haruchai hadn't looked on Hergrom's death in anything other than "failure." That kind of blew me away!
Jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

birdandbear wrote:I always found Hergrom's behavior in this scene to be a very interesting insight into the general character of the Haruchai. Through most of the Chrons, we are only ever exposed to Haruchai who do what they do because of a Vow they've taken. All of the Bloodguard, obviously, had the strictures of their Vow to act upon. The second Chrons Haruchai were much the same. They swore a Vow, and thus, their duty was very clear to them. We get very few, if any, other chances to see Haruchai acting outside the boundaries of a very specific set of duties. But in this one instance, we get another tiny glimpse into the Haruchai mind. Hergrom fisrt refused to say the name that would kill him. But when the life of an innocent woman was threatened, a woman who was not counted among the companions of the quest, a woman who was a servant to one who was obviously a threat to the company, and specifically to Hergrom himself, a woman who was not even of the Land, still he was willing to risk his life to protect an innocent.

Not that any of us ever doubted such would be the case if a like situation ever occured, but it was cool to see just such a situation played out. Hergrom died for Lady Alif as much as for any member of the company, because he saw her as an innocent, and he could not do otherwise. It never would have even crossed his mind to allow this woman to die to reduce danger to himself. The very definition of a hero. Hergrom of the Haruchai, HAIL!
I found this worth repeating.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”