Dark Hope - Chapter 1 - Pan Town

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Thonunian
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thonunian »

Mephiston wrote:"no,no, thanks good elf! you can take it!"
Balpur says
"ok, i think it is a wise idea to go out now!"

Balpur goes toward the stairs to exit the temple.
Thonunian smiles. "I quite agree.

...Old one, I hope we meet again. Let's go, locksmith."

Once he gets outside, Thonunian looks towards the Druid. "What is with that hawk? I did not think that one as inexperienced as you say you are could make a wild hawk trust you that much, and it is certainly not one I have seen before.

...Whatever. Let us go find Arael and see how he is coming with uncovering his armor. I would like to see it."
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

Slowly, step-by-step, the druid and the bard made their way up the staircase, the soft hesitant plodding of Solana's hooves leading the way, with only the occasional slight love tap on her rump from behind needed to encourage her to continue up.

Then the entry to the cavern, with the altar where Solana was slain to the right of the doorway they exited. Though she preferred to look away, Tänya purposely gazed around this cavern, memorizing details as best she could as she had since they went down into the cellars of the Temple of Solaris. Up ahead the gleam of sunlight glittered through the pillar entryway, and as they wound their way through the corpses of formerly undead beasts, Tänya's longing for the light, breeze, and plants of the world above intensified with each step. She had only been underground a few hours, but she hungered for the light of the sun and the scent of green grass on the air.

The mare, bard, and druid made their way to the weathered ruins, and Tänya threw her arms wide and rejoiced in the day. Then, her exhaustion once again beginning to overcome her, she made her way over to one of the fallen stones, and after removing the brown gem from one of Solana's saddle bags, placed a light kiss on Renard's cheek as she handed him the gem and nodded in a direction as if to dismiss him. Settling Solana to graze in a patch of grass next to the stone, she sat herself wearily down and glanced at the hawk she had heard screaming as they made their way through the cavern. She was expecting him, and as she held up her arm and whistled, he winged his way over and wrapped his talons on her forearm, cocking his head from side to side as they gazed at each other.

With her unoccupied arm, slowly, softly, Tänya started stroking the avian, stilling his head and gazing ever deeper into his eyes...
Thonunian wrote:"What is with that hawk? I did not think that one as inexperienced as you say you are could make a wild hawk trust you that much, and it is certainly not one I have seen before."
"He is not mine," Tänya dreamily replies as if very far away, "but I was expecting him."
Thonunian wrote:"...Whatever. Let us go find Arael and see how he is coming with uncovering his armor. I would like to see it."
"Yes, go do that, " the Druid barely murmurs, deep in communication with the hawk. "Renard went nearby. He may also be in the middle of something, but may wish to tag along with you. If you hear singing, I suggest you also leave him be. Solana and I will meet you at the farm or at The Wild Boar in just a couple of hours. If Renard does not come now, he will most likely accompany us." With that, the elf fully slipped into trance, her attention solely on the eyes of the predator in front of her.

How long it took to share all with the hawk she could not say, but eventually her stroking of the avian's head stilled, and the bird's gaze started to shift as his head began cocking back and forth once more. Tänya's eyes slowly regained their focus, but only long enough to raise her arm high so the hawk spread his wings for flight, then jerking her arm upright so the predator took off from her arm, circled once, and then winged his way towards Lastwood.

Settling herself once more, the elf slipped back into a deeper trance, reaching with her senses until she found a passing breeze. Casting her thoughts on to it, she directed it also towards Lastwood, bearing confusion and bewilderment as it went.

Master...it wailed as if almost dejectedly, once again I am weary. Your hawk with my memories is on its way to you to share with the council of elders, although I begin to suspect that may not be necessary after all. There is so much I must share, although it has only been a few days. Yet I think I must rest, and you must see what I have seen before we discuss all. So now, if my suspicions are correct, I ask only why. Why have you deceived me all these years?

No...not that way...
Let us not start with accusations. Tell me first of joy, Beliant. After the past few days, I desire some joy back into my world. If I am not totally mistaken in my suspicions, share with me. Tell me of...Beltair

Softly, the wind drifted with the elven druid's plea towards Lastwood. Slipping deeper into trance, the elven druid refused to allow herself to rest until she received recognition of her sending in some way and sat still until it came.
Ahkash
Ramen

Post by Ahkash »

After a last glance around the temple, Ahkash bowed in farewell to the elemental, and followed the rest of the party above ground.
Sly the Fates that Drive Us
Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

The outside was a welcome relief, but the buzz of activity in Renard's head was nearly deafening ... it was the choatic noise of inspiration. All that he had seen and done -- witnessed greatness of deeds in his companions and creatures met... it was all too much to stay contained in his head. He had to write it down.
she made her way over to one of the fallen stones, and after removing the brown gem from one of Solana's saddle bags, placed a light kiss on Renard's cheek as she handed him the gem and nodded in a direction as if to dismiss him.
Renard closed Tanya's fingers back around the gem, whispered something back to her and kissed her forehead. Similarily, Tanya needed time alone, and the hawk was a link to that which she sought, and the mystery that disturbed her. With a smile and a pang of regret, he leaves her side and is about to head to the tavern.
A thought eeks it way through the buzzing of creative thoughts ... To Ahkash, Atrus and Balpur he says, "I am off to see how Arael fairs. For those of you who wish not to accompany me, I would kindly ask to have a bottle of fine wine and some sweet meats awaiting my return."

And with a friendly bow to his companions an a wave, Renard heads to the collapsed farm house to find and help Arael...
~ My feet may not know the way, yet my heart be glad for it. ~
Thonunian
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thonunian »

Watching the bard head off, Thonunian turns to the others.

"I would like to see how Arael is coming as well, but with her," he gestures toward Tänya, "in this state, some of us need to stay here to guard her.

...Would some of you care to stay, or must I remain?"
Ahkash
Ramen

Post by Ahkash »

"Go if you like. I'll stay here. And tell the bard if he wants wine, he will have to bring it back here."

With that, the rogue chose the deepest patch of shadow he could find beneath the trees, and settled down to await the return of the other party members.
Thonunian
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thonunian »

Thonunian watches the half-elf melt away, and shrugges. He then heads off after the bard.
Mephiston
Giantfriend

Post by Mephiston »

The group approach the burned farm within minutes.
The scene is not as you can imagine.
Neither horses nor bulls are trying to remove debris, and you can't see anyone working to free the crumbeld farm.

Instead you can see Arael, wearing a wonderful steel full plate, sitting on a rock... probably waiting for you.

He seems to be deep in his thoughts, he doesn't noticed you.
Thonunian
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thonunian »

Thonunian's eyes widen as he looks at Arael. "Wow, Arael! That really is some amazing armor! How did you get it so quickly? I thought it was buried under the house?

"...Also, before I forget, I should give this to you." He holds out the gem he picked up. "I have a lot to tell you, but I want to hear what happened here first."
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

The gentle breeze with verdant scents caressing her cheek softly as it swirls around her before dissipating, prompts the elven druid to fully return to herself. Ohhh, she thinks, as she attempts to stand up and finds the need for White Blossom to support her has intensified. So much I never knew, and so much yet to learn...

Slowly, with many a slip due to weakness, she climbs up on to the fallen rock on which she had been sitting, and bracing White Blossom against the stone to lean upon, blows a nicker towards Solana, calling the mare towards her. Placing the brown gem back into her saddle bags, she then climbs on to the horse's back, and takes a last long look around the ruins [spot check, please], to see if anything had changed while she was in trance. If she finds nothing, she heads off towards the burnt out farm, laying astride the mare's neck as Solana covers the distance she most likely would have had to crawl to on her own.

I hope the work for Arael's armor is nearly done, she thinks to herself. I truly long for a mug of elven wine, some tales and song, and...

...she softly smiles to herself...

...perhaps some warm arms about me as we sit in silence and watch the fire before retiring for the night...
Ahkash
Ramen

Post by Ahkash »

Watching from the shadows, the half-elf sees the druid depart on her horse, and follows along behind, keeping watch as he goes.
Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

The group approach the burned farm within minutes.
The scene is not as you can imagine.
Neither horses nor bulls are trying to remove debris, and you can't see anyone working to free the crumbeld farm.

Instead you can see Arael, wearing a wonderful steel full plate, sitting on a rock... probably waiting for you.

He seems to be deep in his thoughts, he doesn't noticed you.
Approaching the farm and seeing no effort being put in to clearing the debris brought hundreds of questions to Renard's mind. However, upon seeing Arael pensively sitting on a rock with the armour that was spoken of erased all questions and left just one.

Thonunian:
Thonunian's eyes widen as he looks at Arael. "Wow, Arael! That really is some amazing armor! How did you get it so quickly? I thought it was buried under the house?

"...Also, before I forget, I should give this to you." He holds out the gem he picked up. "I have a lot to tell you, but I want to hear what happened here first."
The armour Arael wore was magnificent! And perhaps under different circumstances Renard would have taken greater note of it. But Arael's demeanour drew his attention. When he gave no immediate reply to Thonunian's enthusiastic questions, Renard calmly walked to where Arael was, sat upon the grass before him, casually picked a long strand of grass and placed it between his thumbs, took a deep breath a blew.
A loud, course, yet amusing trumpet sound erupted from the effort.
Renard looked up at Arael with a boyish smile, then calmly asked, "What troubles you, my friend?"
Mephiston
Giantfriend

Post by Mephiston »

Ahkash and Tänya head towards the farm.

Arael gradually becomes aware of his surroundings as he looks towards the party as they approach and address him.

"Oh, my friends, are you all ok? I'm sorry, I should had come to the cavern to help you as soon as I found my armor... but... it didn't go as I thought!"

He takes a deep breath.

"When I reached the farm, my father and many friends were working on the crumbled building.
I started to help them, and the work seemed to be impossible! We worked for about an hour... and in that time we barely freed the entrance of the farmhouse... we thought that many days would be needed to clean the debris and start to rebuild the place... Suddenly the earth shook under our feet, and the debris of the farm crumbled more... then a column of light spread up from the rubble and we saw that my armor was in the column!"
He shakes his head.
"I don't know how it is possible... but the armor moved toward me and then alighted softly near me. I felt an overwhelming compulsion to touch the armor... and I did. Immediately the pieces of armor exploded and they clave to me as if they were animated by an inner will... I don't know what happened... I don't know why... but I felt like I was born with this armor... I felt at home...
But my father and the other farmers were scared of me and by what happened... so they fled in fear... and I was unable to stop them... the more I tried to approach them, the more they fled! I don't know where they have gone... and I fear never again will my father accept me..."
Putting his face in his hands, he begins to weep.
Thonunian
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thonunian »

Thonunian looks sympathetic. "Arael... I know this isn't enough, but I'm sorry. I've gone through similar treatment myself...

Listen. In my experience, the best way to take your mind off of mistreatment is to do something. If there is no way to fix the problem, then the best thing to do is talk to and work with the few people who do not treat you that way...

I may as well tell you about what happened to us while we were separated."
He talks about the Demon, what happened with his sword, Atrus' new sword, he frescoes , and C'tar-melak.

"...As for that root elemental, C'tar-melak, he may know something about who you are, or at least what your race is. Would you like to go talk to him?"
Ahkash
Ramen

Post by Ahkash »

Arriving in sight of the farm, the rogue sees the winged man practically weeping in the tall elf's arms.

Without drawing attention to himself, he silently rejoins the company, even as Tanya drew her horse to a halt, and slid rom its back.
Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

Although Thonunian's reply was earnest, Renard did not think it would help Arael understand. These people were his family, the ones he had memory of living with and growing with. And for the man that he had called ‘father’ for so many years to run away in fear of him --- Renard can only imagine what that must be like. But the pain on Arael’s face was enough urge Renard to speak further of it.

While still sitting upon the grass before Arael, Renard flicked the strand of grass aside and looked up at the angelic man. ”Arael, there is no immediate answer to the pain and hurt you feel. But know that these people”—gesturing in the direction of the surrounding town—”do not fear you, but are frightened by the apparent change that has come over you. And they are frightened because they do not understand.”
Taking a moment to look at the magnificent armour he wears, Renard smiles and winks, ”It is quite fantastic armour! And I can imagine the sight that you described must have been quite amazing. But to people who have known only farming all their life --- it can be frightening. And I am sure you are also feeling a little scared and unsure right now.”

Pausing for a second, Renard looks at his other companions, stopping at Thonunian before directing his attention back to Areal.
”And our friend Thonunian is correct. For whatever reason Fate has sent us on this path, it crosses and moves in the direction of your own. Come with us and help Pan’s Town. I am sure it will take you mind off things, as well as perhaps helping you learn more about yourself. And in the end, if I am able to write this tale, <wink> I am hoping that your ‘father’ and the others will learn not to be afraid and know that you are the man they know, regardless of glowing, animated armour and wings.”
Another smile and wink.
Getting to his feet, Renard extends his hand to Areal. ”Now, if you are up to the challenge, come with us to the pub, enjoy a bit of food and drink while we tell you in full what has transpired, and perhaps we can be inspired to find our path again.”
Mephiston
Giantfriend

Post by Mephiston »

"oh, my dear friends... Thank you all.
I think i have to follow you during your journey... i'm sure i'll find something else on me and my origins... maybe when i'll be able to explain to my father who and what i am... parhaps he'll accept me again..."
He stands up

"Well then" he says cleaning his tears
"I'm ready to go to the tavern. Go ahead my friend, i'll follow you"

"yes tes my friend! this is what i want to hear from you! now you are ready to go to the tavern and drink a good mug of hot milk!!!! yes yes!"
Balpur says.

"thanks, Thonunian, i think we should go in the temple when you took some rest.."
Arael adds

Is the party ready for the tavern? Anyone else wants to add something before you leave the burned farm?
Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

<Renard is ready for a tavern and some discussion>
Quickly scratching out a note for Tanya to meet them at the tavern, Renard places it on a conspicuous piece of timber and leads the group on.

Pleased that Arael has agreed to accompany them, Renard cannot help but feel sadness for him. He resisted making a promise to him to help find his identity or ensure his father would not fear him. But Renard had made a couple promises already and was sure his passion would get the better of his capabilities.

Once at the tavern Renard asks what everyone would like to drink and eat, offering to pay for this, and then entreats everyone to speak their minds --- "What are we to do now? Shall we head back to the temple and speak with them again? Does anyone know if there is a sage or scholar in this tiny place?
"With some rest I may be able to learn more about some of the magic items we have found. But, alas, I can sing only one such song per day."

Once the food and drink comes, Renard feels a little better... but keeps looking over at the door, awaiting Tanya to come ...
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

Approaching the farm, Tänya is surprised to see it deserted. She was certain clearing the debris would take much longer than the time they had spent in the temple. Spotting an unburnt slip of paper on a piece of timber, she reads what is written upon it and turns Solana towards The Wild Boar.

Upon reaching the tavern, her first step is to arrange safe stabling for Solana, then leaving Solana in the care of the tavern's stable boy, makes her way in to the common room. Spying the party at a table near the hearth, she slowly makes her way over so as to not disturb any discussions going on.

Is that anxiety I see on the face of Renard? Ah! He sees me; I can't explain that sudden look of relief in his eyes by any other reason, the druid smiles to herself as she watches the bard slide over on the bench, attempting to make a spot for her. Sitting demurely next to him, she reaches for a handful of berries and nuts, and watches the bard pour her a full mug of wine. Taking it gratefully, she raises it slightly towards him with a whispered, "Cormamin lindua ele lle," and quaffs deeply.

Feeling slightly better than before her hour long trance and ride on Solana, especially with a little food and wine in front of her, she looks at the others and asks, "So, what happened at the farm? Arael, that armor is wondrous! But I am amazed you retrieved it so quickly..."
Mephiston
Giantfriend

Post by Mephiston »

The entire group is now at the Wild Boar tavern

Arael tells to Tanya what is happened to him at the farm, and how he found his armor.

Balpur ask for a mug of hot milk, the bar keeper shakes his head but after a while bring the mug to the goblin.
The green skinned immediately chugs the mug.

Return to “D&D Dark Hope”