Dark Hope - Chapter 1 - Pan Town

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Mephiston
Giantfriend

Post by Mephiston »

[ooc] i'll send you all a PDF with the story. Since it is a long story, you can read it with ease in a PDF format.[/ooc]
Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

Listening to the added information Thonunian had to impart did little to allay his fears (even though he showed no outwards signs of it), despite knowing the tall elf was very likely able to handle any danger that came his way (that transformation was truly astounding). But the prospect of spending one more night in comfort in Pan’s Town before they trekked off to a tower, possibly inhabited by a demonic psionic --- (‘hmm, that’s a nice rhyme,’ he thinks to himself, ‘I shall have to use it somehow.’) --- that respite would do much to sooth his busy mind.
And that Arael would be present when he sang for the village at dusk was exactly what he was hoping for...

Renard chuckled to himself at the sight of the druid and goblin conversing so, and all the while with the goblin sipping on a mug of milk.

When Tanya started reading from the book, Renard became intrigued, for any story being told of this type always drew his attention. And he briefly imagined his head upon her lap in a quiet meadow, under a willow tree, while she read to him.
When she stopped after the first paragraph Renard looked at her. ”Please continue, fair one -- unless the others care not for the story. In such a case it can be saved for another quiet time.”

<[ooc]depending on what happens, Renard is content to enjoy the tavern longer, with whomever stays as company, and just before duck, will head out to the market area (seems pretty central) and will ‘do his thing’ --- (I’ll let you know specifically what that is if/when we get there)…[/ooc]>
~ My feet may not know the way, yet my heart be glad for it. ~
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

Renard wrote:”Please continue, fair one -- unless the others care not for the story. In such a case it can be saved for another quiet time.”
[ooc]I have no idea how much of the story the DM plans to release, but as it should only be mid-day, I think no matter how much I read aloud we will have several hours before dusk[/ooc]

Continuing her reading in between bites of food here and there, along with some more sips of wine, the druid eventually looks up and says, "That is as far as is easily readable. The rest has been damaged by vermin and the ravages of time. I'll need time to look through this, and decipher the rest."

Turning to Renard, she looks at him with an invitation in her eyes, "There is still some time before dusk, melamin, yet I am still quite fatigued, despite my trance earlier. But, I think I would like to enjoy the fire and will sit by the hearth for a little while before retiring. Would you care to join me, and share some more wine? A tale or quiet song would be just the thing, but if you should wish to go somewhere and create instead of perform before dusk, I understand..."

With that said, the druid rises from the table, grins a quiet farewell to the others of the party that still remain, spreads her cloak back upon the hearthstone where she was when Balpur first entered The Wild Boar several days ago, and folding her legs in front of her, sits and watches the flames.
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

[ooc]...now I'm just being silly while I await interaction from others. feel free to ignore, although I am really wishing this had occured to me earlier...[/ooc]
Balpur wrote:"well... your question deserves an answer: the other goblin prefer hot blood!"
Again the loud laugh of Balpur spread in the tavern
As she watches the flames dance on the hearth and overhears the soft conversation of the others still sitting at the party's table, Tänya recalls the goblin's answer to her question regarding whether his race also enjoyed hot milk, and a distant recollection returns to her. Slowly rising, she makes her way over to the bar keep, and places an order. A few minutes later she returns to the table, a steaming mug in her hand which she places in front of Balpur.

"I do not know if you will find this palatable, Balpur, but I once heard of this beverage being referred to as "a Warrior's drink." All it is is warmed prune juice. But if you have never tried it, perhaps it will give you an option of a second favorite beverage. And being juice, it is more easily transported than milk..." she offers shyly.
Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

Renard seems a little distant for a time, his mind busy in composition as he mentally works on the song he will sing for the villagers (and for Arael), a knot of borrowed and new verses to create something poignant and stirring.
As his eyes glance sightless across the room (couplets and tunes dancing across his mind's eye), they pass across the lithe form of Tanya by the common room hearth, and all the composition stops. Instead a different kind of music fills his heart and he finds himself rising and going to sit beside her.
"What kind of siren is she," he wonders.
Once at her side, she looks up at him with those eyes that could swallow a man and light the way. ”May I,” he asks, indicating the spot next to her. She smiles her concent and Renard melts into a seated position beside her. And together they pass some time together, watching the random dance of the warm fire.
Mephiston
Giantfriend

Post by Mephiston »

Balpur accept the drink... he sips a little from the mug then he turns quickly to the fireplace and then he spits in it... a blue flame rises from the fire for a moment!

"Ehi, Tanya! Do you want to poison me? I don't like this drink! Water or milk!" Balpur seems a bit disappointed...

You can download the pages deciphered by Tanya here:
www.mephiston.net/darkhope/documents/Ta ... _Koris.pdf
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

Balpur wrote:"Ehi, Tanya! Do you want to poison me? I don't like this drink! Water or milk!"
[backtracking briefly to just before Tänya heads back to the fire]

"Oh Balpur, I am sorry! I had heard it was a beverage enjoyed by warrior races. Water and milk it shall be for you from now on, if I am supplying it in any way," the elf responds with a gasp as the blue flame flared up in the hearth.

Then covering her mouth with her hand, the elf smothers a silent giggle, and heads back to her place on the hearthstone.

[and then everything else that occurred *behind the scenes* begins]
Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

Tanya and Renard talked for a while by the fire. Her body language hinted at concern and confusion. Then Renard stood, offered his arm and accepting, Tanya followed Renard from the common room...
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

The druid, slightly anxious at the thought of where the bard suggested they talk, followed his guidance and spent the afternoon describing her confusion and in return receiving from him...

...comfort, some small time to rest, and acceptance.

As the glimpse through the window of the darkening sky hinted at the fulfillment of Renard's promise to sing for the village in the square, the druid stirred herself and made ready to watch lindar a'maelamin command the attention of the entire village.
Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

As the sun begins to set Renard steps through the common room of 'The Boar', he looks over at the inn keeper, and loud enough for all to hear, he mentions, "I am going out to the square to sing a few songs if any of the good people of Pan's Town would like to spare a few minutes before they retire for the night with their family's for food and rest..."
Hoping that he has at least a few people in tow (including Arael and Tanya), Renard saunters lightly, but slowly towards the square. <[ooc]assuming it is where the market stalls are[/ooc]> Once there, he chooses the best spot to be seen and heard. And for the next couple of minutes, he readies himself by practicing some vocal exersises: wordless,beautiful melodic scales and tones.
Then once he feels he is ready (and at least a modest audience is present) Renard begins...

"This is an exerpt from a story from a land far way they called 'Ill Doth Come'"
He bows and begins:
When he came unto our land,
cloaked with the shade of night,
it was such a darkness which followed him unto our light,
allowing the vermin to come out into the open
of our privacy cherished,
and our peace beloved.
He said his only desire was to Wander.
But never was it ever so trivial.
To all it would seem
that he brought
all that was ill.

Black Venom are his words, poison to the ears and lives who heed them.
Honour and Order do whither under his shadowy touch.
Loyalties crumble and Oaths sway,
When The Illbringer doth come.
Renard pauses, looks out among the faces of whoever has gathered. Then with a cherib smile, knowning what effect the ominous tone may have upon the 'simple' folk of Pan's Town, and asks, "Sorry, did I get your attention? <innocent chuckle> Well, then let me sing something all of you who love, can take back to those whom are in your heart.

<he sings the song with quiet yearning, looking out in to the faces of all he hopes to touch -- eventually stopping, and locking eyes with a certain druid in the crowd.>
love I feel so lost, sometimes
days pass and this emptiness fills my heart
when I want to run away
I wander off so far
but whichever way I will go
I’ll come back to the place you are

love, I don't like to see so much pain
so much wasted and this moment keeps slipping away
I get so tired of working so hard for our survival
I look to the time with you to keep me awake and alive

and all my instincts, they return
and the grand facade, so soon will burn
without a noise, without my pride
I reach out from the inside

in your eyes
the light the heat
in your eyes
I am complete
in your eyes
I see the doorway to a thousand churches
in your eyes
the resolution of all the fruitless searches
in your eyes
I see the light and the heat
in your eyes
oh, I want to be that complete
I want to touch the light,
the heat I see in your eyes
in your eyes in your eyes
A modest bow follows from the bard.
Then he quickly announces, "Good people of Pan's Town, for my last song I would like to sing one that is written for you specifically. Please lend me your attention for a moment longer and listen well to its telling...

<[ooc] at this point, good DM, I am curious to know what has been happenign during all this --- what kind of reaction is Renard getting?... How many people have come out by this time to listen to him....[/ooc]>
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

Renard wrote:Renard pauses, looks out among the faces of whoever has gathered. Then with a cherib smile, knowning what effect the ominous tone may have upon the 'simple' folk of Pan's Town, and asks, "Sorry, did I get your attention? <innocent chuckle> Well, then let me sing something all of you who love, can take back to those whom are in your heart.

<he sings the song with quiet yearning, looking out in to the faces of all he hopes to touch -- eventually stopping, and locking eyes with a certain druid in the crowd.>
love I feel so lost, sometimes
days pass and this emptiness fills my heart
when I want to run away
I wander off so far
but whichever way I will go
I’ll come back to the place you are

love, I don't like to see so much pain
so much wasted and this moment keeps slipping away
I get so tired of working so hard for our survival
I look to the time with you to keep me awake and alive

and all my instincts, they return
and the grand facade, so soon will burn
without a noise, without my pride
I reach out from the inside

in your eyes
the light the heat
in your eyes
I am complete
in your eyes
I see the doorway to a thousand churches
in your eyes
the resolution of all the fruitless searches
in your eyes
I see the light and the heat
in your eyes
oh, I want to be that complete
I want to touch the light,
the heat I see in your eyes
in your eyes in your eyes
Tänya, having been told the first song sung would be done so with her in mind, listened enraptured and enthralled. But her own curiosity was piqued by what Renard said after, and she anticipated his next offering, as she was sure all those with her in the crowd did as well...
Mephiston
Giantfriend

Post by Mephiston »

the people of the town seems to be completly charmed by the marvelous voice of the bard!

Many come near Renard to better listen his song.
The bard took the attention of the entire market and even the vendors are waiting for the song.

Balpur and Arael are waiting as well
Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

With a smile of delight, witnessing their rapt attention, Renard starts in to his last song.
He takes a moment to look at as many of them individually as he sings.
With a slow, deep breath, he starts out the song quietly...

There is unrest in the forest
And evil about the trees
Craving the reverse of life
And bring you to its knees.

The trouble with this plight
(And I’m quite convinced I’m right)
Is that your minds are too clouded
With dark thoughts that cause you fright
I know you can't help your feelings
But correct it and direct it to the cause
Not to those who give you hope
<a shrewd look in Areal’s direction>
Whose gifts and strength you see as flaws.

You see the world through your timid eyes
You're a nervous folk I can tell
You've got the earth in the palm of your hand
But your hand's wet with sweat and your eyes can’t see the rest.

How can you be such a frightened ol’ clan
When your future looks quite bright to me
<with a bright smile and vocal tones>
While there may be lurking a sinister plan
But don’t hide like a lamb, not from this caring young man.
<gesturing suddenly towards Arael>

You're fooling yourself if you don't believe it
You're kidding yourself if you don't believe it

<In a loud, uplifting voice while moving through the crowd that has gathered>
Get up!, get back on your feet
You're the ones that can defeat the evil, don’t sow it.
Come on!, let's see what you've got
Just take your best shot and don't blow it

You're fooling yourself in this ill weather
You're killing yourself if you’re not together
Get up!, get back on your feet
You're all the ones evil can't beat altogether
Come on!, let's see what you've got
Just take your best shot for harmony forever.

Renard bows slowly, gives his most serene, empowering smile to the crowd, nods to them all, then turns and bows to Arael.
Then he leaves to go back to the tavern….
Thonunian
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thonunian »

Thonunian had finished the last parts of his meal and gone out after the first song, but before the second and third. While listening to Renard sing, he smiles.

If anything can convince these fools that Arael is safe and helpful instead of someone to be afraid of, this should be it.

He starts clapping slowly, hoping to lead the rest of the crowd into applause and understanding.
Mephiston
Giantfriend

Post by Mephiston »

While Renard walks among the people, they acclaim him as a famous star! Everyone applauds in the wake of the bard's departure, with many drying away tears at the same time.

Arael seems to be turned in a salt statue... his eyes are widen and he's able only to follow with his sight the bard walking toward the tavern.

Balpur goes near the tall winged man.
"oh, c'm on! it is not the way you are supposed to react! it was a wonderful song, i liked it very much! But... honestly, i have to admit it... i really don't understand to who the song refers to!"

Arael looks down to the goblin
"oh, dear Balpur... sometimes i think you are blind or totally lost..."

"Sometimes i think the same of you, my dear Arael"
Balpur says suddenly serious.

He winks to Arael and then he hurriedly runs to reach Renard.
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

The elven maid listens with wonder in her eyes, and stands quietly off to the side as the villagers applaud and thump the bard's back as he makes his return to The Wild Boar. She has seen many an elven performer back in Lastwood, and has heard it told that non-elves could even be spellbound by one when they sang or performed in one of the arts.

But rarely has she seen such an opportune performance. And done pretty much spontaneously, for Renard had had no time to prepare, from what she learned of the time that had passed from the party coming upon Arael, hearing his story, and then she herself making claims on Renard's time.

So, she hangs back, letting him revel in his moment, and silently observing the exchange between Arael and Balpur. Turning towards the tavern herself, she makes her way to the stable, where she waters and brushes Solana. Then stepping out behind the tavern, she looks up at the stars shining brightly in the treeless fields between The Wild Boar and the ruins of the Temple of the Twin G-ddesses.

Hugging herself tightly, she mutters softly, "So much to ponder this night. I think for now, my presence would be an intrusion, and spreading her cloak upon the grass in the field while balancing White Blossom across her knees, sits gazing at the stars, eventually silently slipping into a restful trance, where she will stay unless her absence is noticed and she is sought out.
Renard
Giantfriend

Post by Renard »

The accolades were wonderful, but it really wasn’t what he was hoping for. He grinned as he overheard the exchange between Balpur and Arael, and stole a glance over his shoulder to catch a glimpse at Areal .. the people liked the songs, but did it change anything? Did it make them rethink their attitude to Arael?...

Passing Thonunian, Renard gives the elf a big smile and a nod of his head. It did not go unnoticed how he had reacted once his last song was done. He felt exactly how Renard did, and he silently thanks him for it.

Heading back to the “Wild Boar” Renard is grateful for any compliments, thanking any who come to him along his walk back to the ‘The Boar”. Hoping to ‘disappear’ within the common room, Renard scoots over to the barkeep. Leaning over the bar, he deftly flips a small pouch under the first shelf. This one you may not rebuff. Drinks are on me for as long as that coin lasts.” Then back over the bar, he adjusts his tunic and announces to any who have come to enjoy a couple of drinks on him, and then go back to their loved ones.

Knowing full well that they were waiting for Tanya to be contacted by he mentor for approval on meeting with the land’s most powerful psi, Renard slyly excused himself and went to the rooms. On his way, he made sure to talk to his companions.
”I am unsure when we will be leaving to head up north to the Tower of Myst, but I think I am going to take it upon myself to get some rest. In the morning I may go about town and look into purchasing some things for a journey.”
And with a nod to them, heads off towards his room. Then remembering something, turns back to Thonunian and quietly asks,"If you would like me to sing a song of knowledge upon your sword, let me know and I will attempt it."

If nothing else is said, he will disappear towards the rooms...
Mephiston
Giantfriend

Post by Mephiston »

ok, if no one wants to add anything, i'll go directly to the morning of the next day... ok?
Tänya
Giantfriend

Post by Tänya »

[ooc]working on it, DM
give me just a tiny bit to wrap something up behind the scenes, then I'll post in thread[/ooc]
Thonunian
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thonunian »

Mephiston wrote:ok, if no one wants to add anything, i'll go directly to the morning of the next day... ok?
[ooc]fine by me[/ooc]

Return to “D&D Dark Hope”