Led Zeppelin, the greatest band in history?

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

What's your favorite Zeppelin song?

Stairway to Heaven
13%
Over the Hills and Far Away
3%
Immigrant Song
12%
Black Dog
3%
Kashmir
15%
Kashmir
15%
Houses of the Holy
8%
"How could you forget...?"
30%

Total votes: 60

Chrysalis
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Chrysalis »

Wasn't this show postponed?
I was asked to try get tickets (near impossible) and last I heard it wasn't taking place on the original date for some reason.
"-People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes."
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Mothership is a new remastering with no new material.

The concert has been postponed due to Jimmy Page injuring his finger.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Chrysalis
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Chrysalis »

Cail wrote:The concert has been postponed due to Jimmy Page injuring his finger.
Oh! Guess that gives me time to figure out how to get tickets that don't cost the earth :biggrin:
"-People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes."
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Mr Fixit wrote:
The Dreaming wrote:Achilles Last Stand

Battle of Evermore

When the Levee Breaks

By far the best zep songs, among their most overlooked.
I like two of them, but 'Battle of Evermore' is officially my least favorite Zep tune by a large margin. Notice how I said 'my least favorite' rather than saying it was the worst one, ever. Because making statements of opinion look like statements of fact is just plain silly, in my opinion, which just so happens to be fact in this and every other instance. :mrgreen:
Lol, Allow me to be a little irrational about music. It's the only area where I am pretty much resistant to logic.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/08/mu ... index.html
Alison Krauss is a master at slipping into musical styles.

As a singer, musician and producer, the bluegrass star has worked with artists as diverse as Sting, Brad Paisley, James Taylor, Phish, Dolly Parton and Alan Jackson. Her latest project, with former Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant, might be her most ambitious yet.

Produced by T Bone Burnett, "Raising Sand" is a dark, whispery record that finds them interpreting the likes of Townes Van Zandt, the Everly Brothers, Mel Tillis and Tom Waits.

"I think of it as a window into some other world," she says of her collaborations. "You take away something by watching someone sing and watching them do something they were naturally born to do."

Plant, who still wears a shaggy mane of curls, says Krauss and Burnett set the tone for the new record.

"I think my vision was a little more lightweight," he says, sipping hot tea. "Alison wanted something more serious, with more color and shade."

What the record is not is yet another predictable duets album. Plant and Krauss harmonize over a dreamy, at times eerie, soundscape that's different from most anything they have done on their own. It's neither rock, nor bluegrass.

"The idea was to take them both out of their comfort zone. To take us all out of our comfort zones," says Burnett, who selected the musicians and most of the 13 songs, which includes a composition by Plant and Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page called "Please Read the Letter" from their 1998 album "Walking Into Clarksdale."

Both singers had to reach. Plant had to sing harmony -- something he'd never done before. Krauss had to sing tunes that didn't always fit her lyrically.

"We were dealing with a lot of classic songs, and I didn't want to mess with that," she says. "That's why we didn't change the gender on some of the songs. We wanted to keep the integrity of the song. So I had to stretch to sing something that wasn't comfortable. It was a great experience."

Plant, 59, and Krauss, 36, have known each other a while, but the idea of making an album didn't really take hold until they sang together a few years back at a tribute concert for blues great Leadbelly.

When they finally went into the studio, Krauss recalls, "We had the idea that if we go in and it doesn't work, it doesn't work. No hard feelings."

As odd an alliance as it might seem at first, it's not that farfetched. Krauss is a fan of classic rock and pop tunes and has covered the Beatles, the Allman Brothers and Todd Rundgren on her records with her band Union Station. Plant has borrowed from American roots music throughout his career, particularly blues artists like Robert Johnson and Big Bill Broonzy.

"Once I heard the music of the Mississippi Delta, I was no longer English. I was a man of the world," Plant recalls.

A tour is in the works, but both are mum on details. During a recent taping for a January episode of the Country Music Television show "Crossroads" -- their first public performance together outside of the Leadbelly tribute -- they looked comfortable with each other but worlds apart on stage. While Krauss was low-key, almost withdrawn, Plant was animated and talkative.

Musically, they were in lockstep. Krauss even took lead vocals on the two Led Zeppelin numbers, "Black Dog" and "When the Levee Breaks."

Krauss, who has 20 Grammy awards -- more than any female artist in history -- says she learns by working with people like Plant, down to details like the way they stand when they sing.

"There are people I'd love to watch work. A lot of producers I'd love to watch work. String arrangers -- why they chose to bring this in here," she says. "And there are a lot of things I'd love to ask musicians that they wouldn't necessarily be able to explain because it's so naturally who they are."

Plant also sees the collaboration as a chance to grow -- a rare opportunity for a guy who's been doing this 40 years and who helped define the profile of a male rock star in the '70s. During the interview, as makeup artists, photographers and assistants scurried about, he remarked, "The music is one thing, but all this other stuff is something else altogether. I used to be in a group where we hardly did anything. We hardly ever played, and when we did, we got there late."

Nonetheless, he'll join the two other surviving members of Led Zeppelin -- Page and bassist/keyboardist John Paul Jones -- for a December tribute concert for the late Atlantic Records co-founder Ahmet Ertegun. Jason Bonham, son of the late drummer John Bonham, will sit in on drums at the London show.

But don't look for a full-blown reunion tour or album. Plant is focused on the present.

"I think I was 19 when I started rehearsing for Led Zeppelin. I'm not the same guy now," he says. "To go back out of respect to complete the circle, to bring Jason Bonham into the picture, to make his mom smile, to make Ahmet's sweetheart feel good and to help all those kids in that charity is the right thing to do.

"But after that," he adds, "I'm hot-toeing it back to Ms. Krauss."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Uh oh.
Led Zep To Go Low Key

Reformed rockers Led Zeppelin have been forced to rearrange their hit songs for their upcoming reunion concert - after frontman Robert Plant struggled to hit high notes in rehearsals.

The legendary band, who will play their first gig in 19 years at London's O2 Arena on December 10, have recomposed the songs in a lower key because their aging vocalist's voice has deepened.

A source tells British newspaper The Sun, "He and guitarist Jimmy Page have had a few heated discussions about the upcoming gig. Jimmy is a bit rusty and Robert has been struggling with the high notes. To avoid any embarrassing vocal wobbles with the world watching, they decided it would be best to transpose the songs in a lower key."
Chrysalis
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Chrysalis »

Hrrmm..not quite sure what to think about the changes they plan to make. Will certainly be interesting.

I just got offered 2 tickets to go so will have to report back afterwards! :D
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

Chrysalis wrote:Hrrmm..not quite sure what to think about the changes they plan to make. Will certainly be interesting.

You lucky bastard!!!! I will envy you until I die.
Chrysalis
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Chrysalis »

Sunbaneglasses wrote:
Chrysalis wrote:Hrrmm..not quite sure what to think about the changes they plan to make. Will certainly be interesting.

You lucky bastard!!!! I will envy you until I die.
I am still in shock. Only found out I had tickets today! :D
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/06/pe ... index.html
Will Led Zeppelin's long-awaited reunion lead to more concerts?

Guitarist Jimmy Page, singer Robert Plant and bass player John Paul Jones will perform Monday at London's 02 Arena, a benefit tribute to Atlantic Records co-founder Ahmet Ertegun, who died last year.

It will be the rock band's first concert in almost two decades.

"I must say that after our initial get-together it was so exhilarating and fun that I did feel I would like to do more," Q music magazine quoted Page, 63, as saying.

"I've got things I've been working on for the past four years that I'm proud of," he says. "Some of the songs I've got ready are as good as anything I've done in the past. I wouldn't necessarily save them for my solo career."

Jones, 61, tells both Q and Rolling Stone magazine that he has no idea whether more concerts will follow.

"I guess the door has been left slightly ajar," he tells Q. "We'll have to see how we feel about it afterwards."

Plant, 59, tells Rolling Stone magazine in its December 13 issue: "If people don't talk about a tour, anything is likely. The more people talk, the more pressure it puts on everybody."

And if there is no more Led Zeppelin after Monday's show, "That's fine," he says, "because we will do it with a good heart."

Led Zeppelin split up in 1980 after the death of drummer John Bonham. They will be joined at Monday's concert by Bonham's son Jason.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

"Cailfrontman Robert Plant struggled to hit high notes in rehearsals.
Elton John managed to continue on quite successfully after he lost his range. But he re-arranged his music, sang them differently, dropped some songs. I think merely changing to a lower key is a quick hack that is all they have time for in this case.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Plant's voice has been degrading since the late '70s, so I guess this isn't a terrible surprise.

The retooled stuff they did on the '98 tour wasn't bad by any stretch, but then again, the songs remained the same.
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

The show reviews are very positive. Apparently there were no long scale or detuned instruments, by all accounts Plant sang beautifully.
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

There are vids of the show up on youtube.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Holy f*cking sh*t.

They pulled it off.

I've heard a ton of Zeppelin bootlegs, and they sound as they've always sounded....Plant can't hit the highs, Page misses a ton of his cues, Jonesy and The Son are rock solid.

Wow.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

The richest tour in the history of music coming soon?
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

If Plant will agree to do it.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Cail wrote:Plant's voice has been degrading since the late '70s, so I guess this isn't a terrible surprise.
I gotta say, Plant's voice sounded mighty good on Mighty ReArranger. I think he's still a good singer, as long as he stays within his limits and uses the right arrangements/studio trickery.
jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

Ya know...I never got into the whole Led Zeppelin thing.

It's hard to say why, but they have just never appealed to me. And I have given them many chances and listened to many of their songs over all of these past years, but nothing of theirs has ever really jumped up and grabbed me or slapped me across the face.

It isn't a generation thing, I'm 41 years old...maybe they were a little before my time, but not much.

Then there was always the competition between fans over who was better, Kiss of Zep. And I was a huge Kiss fan dating all the way back to about 1977 - 1978, when I was only 11 / 12 years old. So I had a biased built in that may to this day still subconciously affect what I hear when I hear Zeppelin.

In my mind, I know that they had to be good...all of these people can't be wrong, right? It's just a matter pf preference, and I just have never ever cared for their music.

I have been playing guitar for about 30 years now, and nothing that Page does ever really makes me say 'wow'. There are so many other guitarists that (to me) have done so much more with their instruments. There are no Page riffs that just blow me away.

I've been following this thread for a while now, and just finally decided that I would put my 2 cents in...
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsHcUwtw5H0 What Cail said. Kashmir! Wow.

Return to “Vespers”