Alice in Chains

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Alice in Chains

Post by [Syl] »

New album coming out this summer. Yes, they have a new singer - William DuVall.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Huh. Is this guy any good?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Interesting. I had plans to see them in Baltimore in '06 prior to my ex going batshit insane. Yeah, this guy is good. Can't wait to hear the new album.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I like Cantrell's stuff even without Staley. You definitely can't replace Lane, but I'll still give it a try--probably miles better than most of the crap out there...
fall far and well Pilots!
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

danlo wrote:--probably miles better than most of the crap out there...
Amen! Why does new music suck so bad? I don't want to sound like my grandfather, but crap, why don't we even have music at least as good as the 90s? Can we blame mp3s? Illegal downloading? I don't get it. I'm not completely a classic rock kind of guy. I love Soundgarden. I liked the grunge movement. But damn, that stuff is now 10+ years old!!! I really want to have some new music I can enjoy, but I keep going back to Rush and Tool because they are the only bands still making music I can stand.

Here's hoping this doesn't suck! :D
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

What have they taken all the fun out of creativity and heroin addiction? Even though I love a lot of Disturbed, if they're the best out there than we're really in trouble...

...don't worry the revolution's coming, we always get better music in times of unrest (it's sorta like the fact that I can only write poetry when I'm three steps from the street, and trying like hell just to survive...:P ).
fall far and well Pilots!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Single out on aliceinchains.com (will send a dl link to your email) or on their myspace page.

I've given it three plays so far (four while writing this). The feel is definitely AiC. I'd put it somewhere between Dirt and Tripod with a heavy dose of Cantrell's 'solo' stuff. The sound might be a little too slick for its own good. I can't really weigh in on it without hearing the rest of the album (I could say the same of some of the tracks off of Tripod, but it ended up giving a more cohesive feel to the album).

The big question is the vocals. I'm impressed. He's not Layne, and he's not really trying to be, though there is an obvious effort (appreciated by this fan) to keep it sounding like AiC, thus sounding something like him. The guy's got talent, and I think he'll bring something the Cantrell albums lacked. The harmonies are pure Cantrell, though.

I don't think I've looked forward to an album this much in a long, long time.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The album's out now. I've only had a chance to listen to it once, and my attention was barely on it, but I like it.
-George Steiner
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Heard a new song today.....very, very good.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Malik23 wrote:
danlo wrote:--probably miles better than most of the crap out there...
Amen! Why does new music suck so bad? I don't want to sound like my grandfather, but crap, why don't we even have music at least as good as the 90s? Can we blame mp3s? Illegal downloading? I don't get it. I'm not completely a classic rock kind of guy. I love Soundgarden. I liked the grunge movement. But damn, that stuff is now 10+ years old!!! I really want to have some new music I can enjoy, but I keep going back to Rush and Tool because they are the only bands still making music I can stand.

Here's hoping this doesn't suck! :D
There are plenty, the studio system is just in it's death throws and spewing out mountains of crap. There are bands out there doing massively awesome things that never leave the underground. (Or the shores of the Atlantic. Compare the UK top 40 to America's today, there is rarely any intersection.)

Maybe it's a sign your getting old? When you start thinking everything new sucks. I hardly hate the classics. (My most heavily played albums in the past month are probably David Bowie's Scary Monsters, The Clash's London Calling, Mastadon's Leviathan, and Modest Mouse's The Moon and Antarctica. Old and New...
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Well, I am getting older (37 and counting). :) But I *want* to like new stuff. I did say I like Rush and Tool's new music.

I just listened to Check My Brain. Pretty monotonous. I like the sound, and yes it does sound like AIC. But I hope the rest is better.

I'm open to anything (except rap and country). I'm starving for new music. Any recommendations? I want to be blown away by a new band. That hasn't happened in a long, long time.

[Edit: actually, Tenacious D has been my biggest surprise this century.]
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

Alice in Chains is one of my favorites. I still like to hear them. I thought they went downhill when Lane got off the heroin tho. Oddly enough, I don't like the rooster. I liked NIN at about the same time I listened to a lot of Alice and I don't like NIN anymore. I have a feeling I won't be a huge fan of the new stuff, but here's to hoping I'm wrong.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Harbinger wrote:I thought they went downhill when Lane got off the heroin tho.
I suppose you could say that.
-George Steiner
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Malik wrote:I'm open to anything (except rap and country). I'm starving for new music. Any recommendations? I want to be blown away by a new band. That hasn't happened in a long, long time.
Well, you haven't given me much to go on but If I were going to mix Tool and Rush I might come out with something like Porcupine Tree, a prog band with some harder tendencies. Try either their "Deadwing" Album or "In Absentia". They certainly aren't a new band but hopefully they'll be new to you.

I like to think of myself as a new music afficianado. Give me some other stuff you like and I'll try to come up with a few more recommendations.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Brinn, The Dreaming gave me some recommendations that I'll try out, but I can always use more.

I like jazz fusion and prog rock. King Crimson, Bela Fleck and Flecktones, Yes, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Spock's Beard, Allen Holdsworth, Dixie Dregs, etc.

But I also like classic rock. Led Zep, Kansas, Beatles, Van Halen, Pink Floyd, etc. You can throw some "grundge" in there too . . . Soundgarden and AIC, STP.

I love Rush because their 35 year career spans so many different styles. I can pop in a Rush CD if I'm in the mood for 70s, 80s, 90s, or 00s music. I've never heard a band evolve as much as they have.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Brinn wrote:
Malik wrote:I'm open to anything (except rap and country). I'm starving for new music. Any recommendations? I want to be blown away by a new band. That hasn't happened in a long, long time.
Well, you haven't given me much to go on but If I were going to mix Tool and Rush I might come out with something like Porcupine Tree, a prog band with some harder tendencies. Try either their "Deadwing" Album or "In Absentia". They certainly aren't a new band but hopefully they'll be new to you.

I like to think of myself as a new music afficianado. Give me some other stuff you like and I'll try to come up with a few more recommendations.
"Fear of a Blank Planet" is exceptional. My dad is a huge fan of this band. I'm kind of back/forth with them. Sometimes it seems like Wilson is trying to sound like too many things, but being a fan of prog, I can't dislike ambition.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

In this increasingly off-topic discussion . . . I heard that Alex Lifeson played on the latest Porcupine Tree release. That might be the next one I try.
Sometimes it seems like Wilson is trying to sound like too many things, but being a fan of prog, I can't dislike ambition.
Variety is nice, unless it doesn't sound authentic. If it just sounds like a hodge-podge of all the artists' influences, then this can get tiresome. Dream Theater, for instance, has never grabbed me because they don't seem to have a sound all their own. Or maybe I just didn't like their songs. Or maybe I haven't given them enough of a chance.

This discussion got me thinking about Dixie Dregs again. If you love prog, and you haven't given them a try, you're missing out on a distinctively American prog rock band. Definitely some southern influence in Steve Morse's sound.

And DD fans? (The band, not the bra size. :) )
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Dream Theater is a band that has released a pretty eclectic group of albums. If you are looking for something focused from them, Train of Thought is probably the album you need to listen too. It might be their best album, and its certainly their most consistent.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

It's funny, listening to The Boneyard last night and "Pull Me Under" came on. To me, it's a rote example of how to make that kind of music. Spacey keyboards? Check. Nebulous lyrics? Check. Stuttering drums and guitars? Check. Needless time changes? You betcha.

It's like someone went to the mall and visited the "Build a Prog-Metal Song Workshop".
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Malik23 wrote: I like jazz fusion and prog rock. King Crimson, Bela Fleck and Flecktones, Yes, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Spock's Beard, Allen Holdsworth, Dixie Dregs, etc.

But I also like classic rock. Led Zep, Kansas, Beatles, Van Halen, Pink Floyd, etc. You can throw some "grundge" in there too . . . Soundgarden and AIC, STP.

I love Rush because their 35 year career spans so many different styles. I can pop in a Rush CD if I'm in the mood for 70s, 80s, 90s, or 00s music. I've never heard a band evolve as much as they have.
Thank God you put the Beatles in there, Malik..otherwise I would think we share the same music brain...heh..I'm going to put on "Metal Fatique" right now, as background for posting...you've inspired me.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Return to “Vespers”