Kastenessen's curse on Findail, cont'd

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Kastenessen's curse on Findail, cont'd

Post by deer of the dawn »

SGuilfoyle1966 was saying:
I think, taken as a whole, what we learn about all the Elohim is they are all creatures of ego.
And the loss of ego would be the most unimagineable horror possible.
They are too egotistical to withstand being made part of the Staff of Law.
My opinion, anyway.
SRD "declined to commit" as to whether or not the Elohim who became the Colossus of the Fall could escape her Appointment after it had become moot (because the Sunbane destroyed the Old Forests whom she had been Appointed to save). Seems to me he is leaving the way open for Findail to escape his Appointment, if something happens to the Staff of Law.

Vain was "pure structure" and not a living being; but Findail is a sentient, living, and personal being. I would say that Findail has unfinished business with Kastenessen, and there is the possibility that there will be more with them-- even if it means Findail as Staff of Law.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Why start a new thread on this in ROTE forum?
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

One thing that stood out to me on my last reading of WGW was Vain's response to Findail's whining about dieing:

"It is not death, but purpose."

This implies to me that the staff itself is alive with purpose and power, and I've been waiting to see what comes of that.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Mysteweave
Giantfriend

Post by Mysteweave »

dlbpharmd wrote:Why start a new thread on this in ROTE forum?
What is learned in Runes sheds some more light on the elohim. And more specifically Kastenessen. It seems natural to have another topic here, where we don't have to worry about spoilers.

Back on topic, I hadn't actually thought of Findail that way. So many possibilities that I hadn't thought of!
If the physical staff was destroyed, then maybe Vain would be forced to let go of his grip on Findail's wrist, which to my way of thinking, is what's keeping him there.

I know that wild magic is involved too, but I'm ignoring that right now. :P
x Covenant x Mordant's Need x Saltheart Foamfollower x

~ “Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.”
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Why start a new thread on this in ROTE forum?
Mods were expressing their discomfort with the number of spoilers. Also...
Mysteweave wrote: What is learned in Runes sheds some more light on the elohim. And more specifically Kastenessen. It seems natural to have another topic here, where we don't have to worry about spoilers.
I forgot about Vain saying that, too, Rigel. Good call. Wasn't "purpose" the Purpose of being Appointed?? Guess Kastenessen wasn't the only rebel.[/quote]
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”