Is there any truth to this?

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Malik23 wrote:
The flaws you mentioned are not the real story. I'll tell you what the real story is: TRS is a novel about redemption. Surprised? Here is how:
That's what I was saying!
snip

No. You didn't say anything about redemption in that post. In fact, I don't see anything about my conclusion there even if you happen to agree with it. I came to that conclusion (1) based on the fact that SRD always writes about redemption, and (2) on the SRD quote you gave from the very last page about what the real story allegedly was, and which you pointed to as the third of the triangular "flaw" in the novel.

The first two flaws you mentioned may be revealing of something, but I don't know what.
Malik23 wrote:there’s two flaws in this story. 1) The supply ship from Earth arrived on schedule. 2) The control to Morn Hyland’s zone implant was never found.
I'm afraid those are not simply flaws, those are plot-holes. Plot-holes are not at all anything like intentional "flaws" which may reveal clues to the real story. At the last page, however, is a mystery, and not any third flaw: why didn't Angus reveal the truth to the authorities, thus save himself? But you never called it a mystery:
Malik23 wrote:The first mystery has to do with Nick’s cleverness. The second has to do with Morn’s victimization. Conspicuously . . . there’s a flaw left out here. Donaldson is saving something for the end. The triangle isn’t complete. There’s a third flaw in the chapter 2 “story” that Donaldson comes back to on the very last page:
So I conclude that SRD did not tell us the real story, but left it for his readers to divine. The mystery is not, as you claim, Nick's cleverness or Morn's victimization. Cleverness is a trait of such "animals" as him, it is only a character trait endemic to the type, as is cowardice. There is no triangle of flaws. There is only the mystery of his refusal to tell the truth which could rescue him from spending the rest of his life in lockup. The mystery is solved through the spiritual concept of redemption. Thus, the conflict between Nick's overt toughness and the weakness revealed in him by his desire for Morn, was resolved.

WormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote: So I quite agree that my plot-line summation was not the real story, and in fact, was superficial. But you must admit it did garner a few laughs.
Malik23 wrote:Oh, yeah. I liked it. Got a chuckle out of me. :)
Malik23 wrote:because the Real Story isn’t what happened, but how it happened. These events wouldn’t have been possible if fundamental alterations in the psychology of these character hadn’t occurred (mostly Angus).
I agree with that up to a point. But you still have not uncovered the real story. And then when I said the real story was Angus's redemption you claimed that's what you said. In fact, you said the real story involved how the story played out in terms of altering Angus's fundamental psychology.

You were so close with that. However, Angus's empirical psychological conflicts are not the real story either. The real story involves that, just as it involves all levels of the story, but it goes beyond psychology to the transcendental or spiritual level of redemption, the covenant of law versus the covenant of grace.

Malik,

Your post has been the most interesting of all so far in this thread, and I hope you don't conclude that I'm picking on you. But you do leave thoughts and questions between the lines, such as in this:
Malik23 wrote:The first mystery has to do with Nick’s cleverness. The second has to do with Morn’s victimization.
You say there are these two mysteries, but you don't flesh them out, they simply serve as two legs of an imaginary triangle. But there is only one mystery - the revelation on the last page of the novel which does not explicitly reveal anything - and this sub-mystery which you only hinted at: Why didn't Angus use his cleverness to free himself from lockup? The answer is simple: because if he did, the novel would no longer be about Angus's redemption; and the novel would no longer be about the irony of Angus ultimate situation, his physical imprisonment versus his spiritual salvation through a courage which no walls can hold, the courage not to use his cleverness to speak out and save himself.
Malik23 wrote:This is vital to understanding Angus, and his alteration throughout the series: he didn’t defend himself, even though it cost him everything. And yet, his lack of defense doesn’t arise through a complete loss of self. He still retains enough of his desire to live to mourn for the loss of his ship. Those two facts don’t add up. If he still cares about the one thing he loves (his ship—which is really his freedom, power, autonomy, etc.—which means he still cares about himself), then why doesn’t he defend himself?
I hope you understand from my responses that this is not about Angus defending himself so he can continue to pursue his desires. He has found a chink in his armor due to Morn's influence, and Nick took advantage of that chink making it a permanent feature of his personal story. There is no redemption for Angus's formerly tough personality "armor," his thick hide. Angus is an absolutist, and so he is "religious" about himself in the sense that Covenant is "religious."

He does find his salvation, however, through the courage not to speak out in defense of himself. As weak as that seems - since he is only fleeing toward salvation because of his personal failure to maintain himself against Morn's beauty and then his eventual defeat by Nick - it is still redemption from Angus's limited point-of-view: it gives him the grace to free him from the law, the restrictions, of his cowardice. You can see in the novel various places where Angus's own cowardice has restricted his options and led him inexorably down a certain path. And at the end, even though he is physically imprisoned, he is at last freed from his cowardice. His courage not to speak out in order to free himself physically has, ironically, led to his spiritual salvation or inner freedom.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd,
Excellent posts, but could you limit your response to one post rather than triple posting?
Thanks. :)
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Loremaster wrote:TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd,
Excellent posts, but could you limit your response to one post rather than triple posting?
Yes, if I am allowed to merge them afterwards.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

danlo wrote:FWIW I'm a major SciFi head, I've read close to 3000, and am drawn to intelligent complex stuff (for example Zindell, Daniel, Herbert, Brin, Simmons, Stephenson and Gibson), I proudly rank SRD's Gap series in my top five of all time.
How about Greg Bear?

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
Loremaster wrote:TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd,
Yes, if I am allowed to merge them afterwards.
I saved you the effort this time. :)
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

I don't think I can delete the originals anyway, can I?

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:I don't think I can delete the originals anyway, can I?
Not after more posts are made.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Malik23 wrote: That's what I was saying!
snip

No. You didn't say anything about redemption in that post. In fact, I don't see anything about my conclusion there even if you happen to agree with it.
Look, you're lecturing me on the meaning of a series of which you've only read less than 1/5. You lecturing me on the meaning of my own damn posts, which were comprised of short clips from much longer posts which (I assume) you still haven't read, either. You are calling something "spiritual" which I'm calling "psychological." I don't care one whit about your supernatural beliefs. We're talking about a story. If you can post evidence of Angus's immortal spirit from the book, then do it. I posted evidence of his psychology changing. So, your turn. Are you talking about your personal beliefs, or this series which you haven't read? Either way, you're going beyond the text. Everything in this story can be understood without hypothesizing that Angus has a supernatural something inside him, in addition to his psychology. And in fact, there is nothing in the story to support such a supernatural hypothesis.
I wrote: You can know what happened between these characters, the external outcomes, and still not know the Real Story . . . because the Real Story isn’t what happened, but how it happened. These events wouldn’t have been possible if fundamental alterations in the psychology of these character hadn’t occurred (mostly Angus).

That’s the Real Story. It explains both layers spelled out in the first two chapters: it’s how the events come to fruition (chapter 2), and how the melodrama becomes drama (chapter 1).
How is Angus "redeemed?" Not by other characters . . . not by the grace of god. He redeemed himself. His redemption was the "fundamental alteration in [his] psychology" which explained why Angus would do something as inexplicable as refusing to defend himself--though it cost him everything--simply to protect a woman he spent most of the book victimizing. No, I didn't use the word, "redemption," but that's exactly what I was talking about: Angus changed. However, since that is only the beginning of the process of his redemption--something that doesn't completely play out until the end of this 5-book series--it isn't accurate to say that Angus is redeemed at this stage. Which is why I said: The Real Story isn't really shown until the end of the last book.
. . . the SRD quote you gave from the very last page about what the real story allegedly was, and which you pointed to as the third of the triangular "flaw" in the novel. The first two flaws you mentioned may be revealing of something, but I don't know what.
Not a flaw in the novel . . . a flaw in the surface-level story that everyone on the station took for the truth. The three "flaws" are inconsistencies which are clues that the surface-level story isn't the real story. And Angus' inconsistency can't be understood unless you know what's going on in his head . . . the fact that he is trying to do something honorable (honor his deal with Morn) and something benevolent (save Morn's life).
I'm afraid those are not simply flaws, those are plot-holes. Plot-holes are not at all anything like intentional "flaws" which may reveal clues to the real story.
They are not plot holes! They are explained by other events in the story, which people on the station don't know about, but we (as readers) do know about. Perhaps a reread is in order. You might want to go back and refresh yourself.
At the last page, however, is a mystery, and not any third flaw: why didn't Angus reveal the truth to the authorities, thus save himself? But you never called it a mystery:
You're getting picky. A "flaw" in the "official" story (as known by the station) which is a logical inconsistency, IS a mystery. That's what I was saying. You may have noticed that I intentionally cut out parts of my original posts, and invited you to go read the dissection for a full treatment. I tried to give enough context for those points to be clear, but apparently I did not.
The mystery is not, as you claim, Nick's cleverness or Morn's victimization.
Those are minor, secondary mysteries to the melodramatic, superficial story presented at the beginning, chapter one. I never claimed those were THE mystery. Why do you think I quoted the last paragraph of the book? It's almost as if that was the point I was leading up to the whole time! :)
There is no triangle of flaws.
Dude, go back and read it. There ARE three "flaws" in the "official" story that the by-standers know. Call them inconsistencies, or mysteries, whatever. These three mysteries point to a deeper story. And the deepest mystery of all, the one you have to be inside Angus' head to learn, is how he changed as a person--redemption.
. . . when I said the real story was Angus's redemption you claimed that's what you said. In fact, you said the real story involved how the story played out in terms of altering Angus's fundamental psychology.
Perhaps you forgot about the post I made on page 2, before this present exchange, in which I said this:
On page 2 of this thread, I wrote: Now, on the term, "victim." I disagree with Donaldson on political issues, and his published characterization of "redemption." Even after the series is over, I still don't think Angus has in any sense been "redeemed." I like him, but I wouldn't let him baby-sit my kids.
The issue of Angus' redemption has been discussed here so much over the years, it's the context of many of these conversations . . . so much so that I assumed everyone knew what I meant by "fundamental alterations in his psychology." I personally don't buy Donaldson's attempt at painting him as redeemed, but I do clearly understand that's what he attempted. And yes, before you pointed it out.
You were so close with that. However, Angus's empirical psychological conflicts are not the real story either. The real story involves that, just as it involves all levels of the story, but it goes beyond psychology to the transcendental or spiritual level of redemption, the covenant of law versus the covenant of grace.
Care to provide a quote to back up your Biblical, supernatural interpretation? I've read all five of them. Immortal spirits and supernatural grace aren't in there. But you are free to provide a quote if you think it's there.
You say there are these two mysteries, but you don't flesh them out, they simply serve as two legs of an imaginary triangle.
Have you read the dissection? The whole thing? Until you read beyond the extremely short clips I posted here, I don't think this is a fair assessment.
Angus is an absolutist, and so he is "religious" about himself in the sense that Covenant is "religious."

He does find his salvation, however, through the courage not to speak out in defense of himself. As weak as that seems - since he is only fleeing toward salvation because of his personal failure to maintain himself against Morn's beauty and then his eventual defeat by Nick - it is still redemption from Angus's limited point-of-view: it gives him the grace to free him from the law, the restrictions, of his cowardice. You can see in the novel various places where Angus's own cowardice has restricted his options and led him inexorably down a certain path. And at the end, even though he is physically imprisoned, he is at last freed from his cowardice. His courage not to speak out in order to free himself physically has, ironically, led to his spiritual salvation or inner freedom.
Inner freedom. That's funny. You've really got to read the rest of these books. Angus' choice leads to the exact opposite of "inner freedom." Literally! I don't want to spoil it for you, but the only time he becomes "free" is three books later when he uses knowledge that he gained from the Amnion by doing the most heinous act of betrayal in the entire series. (And then, of course, there is the end . . . which I don't want to spoil.)

I understand that religious people read Donaldson's books. And I also understand that his own religious background (as a child) has steeped him in the language of Christianity. But it is not necessary to interpret these stories according to your personal religious beliefs in order to get the point. Someone like me, an atheist, can see what Donaldson was getting at without subscribing to a supernatural interpretation of a science fiction story, or supposing that there is a ghostly realm beyond psychology. Every aspect of this story can be understood without supposing a Biblical or supernatural underpinning. Donaldson went to great lengths to explain how this story was based (in part) upon another work of mythology. If he intended a Biblical or literally supernatural interpretation, perhaps he would have mentioned this . . . ???

You have really rubbed me the wrong way, with your condescension concerning a story you haven't even finished (not to mention the meaning of my own posts--which you haven't read in their entirety, either).
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Sorry, but that's ad hominem. My alleged supernatural beliefs have nothing to do with my analysis. The number of times I have read TRS is irrelevant. I have finished the story, that's all that matters.

I'm not saying there isn't psychology involved in it, in fact I stated as much. However, what is important is what is at substance in the story, and that is the redemption theme. SRD says in the Afterword that irony is an element of drama. The only irony I found is Angus's physical imprisonment versus his implicit spiritual enlightenment, oblique as it is - his refusal to tell the truth to the authorities, to use his animal cleverness to free himself even in the face of knowing that his ship has been dismantled.

You're making me nervous, and I don't even see where I made any errors in responding or in my analysis, so this will be my last post.

ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

I'm reminded of the tale of the 5 blind men and the elephant. But one of the blind men is arguing with a sighted person who can see the elephant.
ItisWritten
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

You're making me nervous, and I don't even see where I made any errors in responding or in my analysis, so this will be my last post.
WotWE, I was tempted to say the same thing. In fact, I posted something to that effect, then deleted it because I thought it was childish. So clearly you and I are ruffling each other's feathers. I regret that. I've tried to give you props when you deserved it, and in another thread I've tried to be contrite when I've misunderstood you.

However, you have to admit that telling someone they are wrong about their own posts is condescending. So is telling people they don't understand the meaning of a series which they have read, and you have not.
My alleged supernatural beliefs have nothing to do with my analysis.
If you're not talking about your personal beliefs, then you are talking about something from the book. Since you haven't posted on word from the book to back up your position, I think this is a fair judgment to say it's coming from you, not the book. It's not ad hominem to suppose you are seeing this book through the filter of your own beliefs. We all do that, to an extent. That would be fine, if you weren't telling me I'm *wrong* because of your belief-filter. When you say, "You're so close," and then go on to correct me based on concepts that aren't in the book, concepts which go beyond the text, and concepts which require adherence to supernatural metaphysics, well, you've got to be thick-skinned enough to face a rebuttal to such an audacious statement and tactic, which was your own choice.
In the GI, Donaldson wrote:. . . I don't think of them as "anti-heroes." Yes, I know they're "dark," and yes, it is often unpleasant (!) to spend so much time with them. But I think of them as important people who *need* to have these stories happen to them. I am, in a manner of speaking, helping them find redemption (or personal integrity, or love, or the ability to care about something other than themselves, or whatever you choose to call it).
Since Donaldson himself refers to "redemption" in much more general terms than you are using, the burden of proof is on you to show why I'm wrong to interpret "redemption" in purely psychological terms, without reference to a spirit. If you can't prove your very specific interpretation (which seems obvious to me), then perhaps you would do better to say, "in my opinion," rather than, "you are wrong."
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

I hesitated over whether to continue this in public or in private. There are some points which should be kept in private, and others which can be made public. So I'll split my response into both areas.

I have never claimed that Angus's was a Christian redemption. I am also seeing redemption in the broadest terms: He was redeemed from his cowardice through having the courage not to divulge everything to the authorities and thus free himself.

I see SRD as spiritual but not religious. If you can see cowardice as a spiritual problem, and courage as its spiritual solution, then you will see my point. I really am trying to see this from the author's point of view, and not my own.

[Edit]

You know, here's really what drives me toward the "redemption" interpretation: it is the ONLY way I can find to explain the contrivance of Angus not divulging everything to the authorities and freeing himself. There may be some psychological explanation that could cause it to make sense, but I don't see it.

rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

ItisWritten wrote:I'm reminded of the tale of the 5 blind men and the elephant. But one of the blind men is arguing with a sighted person who can see the elephant.
Is the elephant in the room?
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

rdhopeca wrote:
ItisWritten wrote:I'm reminded of the tale of the 5 blind men and the elephant. But one of the blind men is arguing with a sighted person who can see the elephant.
You mean the alleged concept of psychological redemption? It was never present. How was Angus psychologically redeemed? He still suffered in lockup, it said so on the last page. There can be no psychological redemption where he is literally feeling the horror of being locked up. He simply refused to take the necessary steps to free himself. That is analogous with Jesus refusing to flee Jerusalem and allowing himself to be arrested and crucified.

rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

rdhopeca wrote:
You mean the alleged concept of psychological redemption? It was never present.
This was a joke...to a large degree...about whether or not the blind men were talking about the elephant, and the additional irony of blind people being figuratively blind to the truth...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_in_the_room
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I don't want to belabor the issue, and drag this out to the point where it becomes wearisome to others reading along. So I'll say just this: when I say "psychological," I mean exactly what Donaldson meant when he said, "redemption (or personal integrity, or love, or the ability to care about something other than themselves, or whatever you choose to call it)." When I argue against "spiritual," I'm arguing against a literal spirit, and not a figurative usage of the world "spiritual" which can loosely mean "heart," or "passion," or "essence" (which are, in my opinion, psychological concepts).

So perhaps the recent exchange was an example of talking around each other. Words have lots of connotations. I hope this clears it up.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Malik23 wrote:I don't want to belabor the issue, and drag this out to the point where it becomes wearisome to others reading along. So I'll say just this: when I say "psychological," I mean exactly what Donaldson meant when he said, "redemption (or personal integrity, or love, or the ability to care about something other than themselves, or whatever you choose to call it)." When I argue against "spiritual," I'm arguing against a literal spirit, and not a figurative usage of the world "spiritual" which can loosely mean "heart," or "passion," or "essence" (which are, in my opinion, psychological concepts).

So perhaps the recent exchange was an example of talking around each other. Words have lots of connotations. I hope this clears it up.
It is very common for people these days to say "I'm spiritual, not religious." For SRD, I really think that boils down to the secular level, and any use he makes of spiritual or religious concepts are indeed figurative, as you say. Archetypes are not intended to be taken literally - but neither are they literal in the psychological sense.

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Malik23 and WormoftheWorld's End. I appreciate you both keeping it civil.

Great discussion, everyone.
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

rdhopeca wrote:
No, he's explaining it from memory. :wink:
ItisWritten
Insane Bartender
Servant of the Land

Post by Insane Bartender »

While I haven't spent the time appreciating the depth of the circular argument above, I would like to point out, in response to the original post, that the same review site that accused Donaldson of using 'Deus Ex Machina' plot devices then lauds Peter F Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy as 'very impressive', despite having one of the most clipped deus ex machina endings I've ever read.

It's something along the lines of 'oh, we've found a benign, omnipotent singularity, which is more than happy to help solve all the galaxy's problems for no reason whatsoever. End.'

Admittedly, a good series up to that point, but still...

Return to “The Gap Series”