What is the Gap Series about?

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

What is the Gap Series about?

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

SRD wrote: Sure, portraying evil can itself be an evil thing to do--if the portrayal is gratuitous. I've read books where it seems clear that the writer simply delights in inflicting pain on the characters--and on the reader; where inflicting pain seems to be the only real purpose of the book. I don't hesitate to call such books obscene. But we need to be very careful here. We need to be sure that what we're talking about is indeed gratuitous. And there are a number of issues to keep in mind (although I won't be able to remember all the ones I know of right now). First, I want to mention the importance of telling the truth. Evil and horror really do exist in the world, as well as in people; and to pretend that they do not is a lie. Second, the whole notion of "good" has very little meaning if it doesn't imply the notion of "evil". What is "light," after all, if there is no "darkness"? Third, I wonder what concepts such as "redemption" can possibly mean if they don't entail walking through "hell" to get to the other side. Fourth, we live in a cynical and nihilistic age, and if our literature does not face that fact squarely it cannot offer us any substantive alternatives. "When you look into the abyss, the abyss looks into you." How else can we find out if we have anything in us except emptiness? One of the *many* functions of story-telling as I practice it is that it teaches me how to believe in myself.
Now let me explain this very carefully so as to avoid being confused with some religious fanatic. What strikes me about the above quote from SRD's GI is that his books acknowledge darkness and evil without simply being about that. For example, "There is also love in the world."

Most of the ideas that I bring to this forum are based on ideas found in the GI, not from my personal ideas whatever they happen to be. The rest is mere speculation.

I have learned to read a SRD novel such as The Real Story for the concepts found in them. If TRS was simply about the psychological story SRD weaves, then it would merely be, like the movie Alien, a HORROR STORY based in outer space. Or perhaps, just a very "obscene" psychological thriller.

But I have learned from my time on the Watch that this is not the goal of SRD's writing. Yes, the goal of SRD's writing IS to entertain - however, he does so on many levels. He appeals to his readers on many levels. If you like horror stories, and that's all you want to get out of it, then that's fine. You've been entertained, and on some superficial level your life may even be richer thereby.

HOWEVER, if you WANT to, if being merely entertained is not satisfying to you, then you can look beyond the merely entertaining aspects of novels such as TRS to derive the concepts he employed in his writing, where finding them is not based merely on projecting what the reader wants to find in them.

This is not to denigrate the other levels of SRD's writing, analyzing those plots and intrigues is obviously useful to rooting out the concepts they portray. But what's remarkable to me about SRD's writing IS that it can be appreciated on so many levels.

I've stated my piece on what I think TRS is about, treating it, as SRD does in his Afterword to that work, as a standalone novel. If SRD treats it that way, then so can we. I haven't read the Gap series in its entirety, however, I would expect to find much the same because SRD is a conceptual writer. I'm not talking about "concepts" such as "wood," "brick," or even "love" in the emotional sense. His concepts are mainly archetypical and exist in opposition to each other. If Love is an archetype in the Chronicles, then it has its opposite in Despite.

In other words, SRD's books can be read as literature.

It is relevant then to point out that the first Chronicles were first released AS literature in the fantasy genre. Lester del Rey packaged all three books in fancy hardbound format and gave them titles to be treated very seriously. Those three titles are rather mysterious, but in sales it's all about the package. If the titles pique the curiosity of prospective readers, then that's a selling point right there. In that event, it doesn't matter what the titles mean, all that matters is that they have an influence on the minds of bookstore browsers.

I'm not saying the same thing about TRS or the Gap as a whole. The title The Real Story is gimmicky. The story is short and brutal. Nevertheless, it can be read as literature if you put your best mind to it.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

You're preaching to the choir here. (Sorry, couldn't resist a religious joke :) ).

We're talking about my favorite series by my favorite author. I wouldn't waste my time on it if I didn't think it had literary worth.

But I'm confused why you keep criticizing "merely" psychological interpretations of these novels. You might as well criticize someone for interpreting them in "merely human" terms.

Perhaps you have a different meaning for "psychological." When I use this word, I'm talking about what it means to be human. I think redemption is a psychological concept. I think "staring into the abyss" is a psychological activity. I think "walking through 'hell' to get to the other side" is a psychological journey. When I use this word, I'm talking about analyzing the story in terms of characters, how they treat each other, how they view their world, how they express their humanity, and how they change/grow (or don't).

Forget the term "psychological" if you want. I believe you started arguing against it when I mentioned it in contrast to your religious interpretation. So I give you permission to let it go. Substitute "human" for that term, and maybe we can start over.

I never once meant merely "entertainment." I don't know where you got that.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

I don't know. If I'm preaching to the choir (don't they allow atheists in choirs?) then I sure get a lot of disagreement back for the effort.

I didn't accuse you of treating the novels as mere entertainment. This is an old conversation now but I don't recall saying that at all. I'm just analyzing the various perspectives an SRD reader can take on his books. I'm more or less reflecting back to the group what I've learned about SRD's books from reading them, the GI, and this forum.

Let me take up your response this way. 'Staring into the abyss': you can certainly see that as psychological. But where is this 'abyss'? Nowhere, it is a metaphor for an existential emptiness reflecting in terms of the metaphor what it means to be human - according to an existentialist philosopher's interpretation of 'humanness'.

The metaphor is what drives that saying to a level above mere psychology.

The psychology is still present, I'm not denying any level you want to take this too. And in fact existentialist psychologists such as Albert Ellis have made fortunes from bringing existentialist ideas to patients and their practical everyday living.

I'm not a concrete-bound thinker myself. I don't believe that reality determines human existence, but that human (not supernatural) concepts determine it. And concepts are human inventions.

Existentialism is not found in reality, it is a human invention, and yet it has determined many people's realities.

Metaphor does not exist in reality, the things metaphor is made of exist in reality. But metaphor is a purely human form of expression.

The things studied by psychology exists in reality, that is after all an empirical science. Empiricism is the study of that which is concrete, even the psychological (usually thought in terms of behavior). Sometimes empiricism involves an attempt to reduce everything to the empirical. Reductionists will therefore attempt to deny the reality of metaphor, or even the reality of consciousness itself, reducing it to something empirical. Anything claimed to be a purely human invention is then reduced to neural electro-chemical activity in an attempt to deny any reality other than the empirical.

However, at the risk of sounding dualistic, I would like to be rid of this reductionistic thrust that has ruled over the last 2 1/2 centuries of Western civilization, and just try to get the two traditional sides of the debate over Universals to learn to live together and end the centuries of pointless bickering.

And so, in this case, I declare that the realms of metaphor and psychology co-exist, they do not conflict, nor are they mutually exclusive. But neither are they mutually exhaustive. Any attempt to reduce one to the other is as faith-bound and closed-minded as religion, therefore I see no difference between a Christian and an atheist, and on that level, both are equally wrong-headed.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Where did this conversation come from? :D
They do allow atheists in choirs...especially when a tenor calls in sick, and they need someone who knows the piece.
Anyway...someone important (lord, school was so long ago) made a pretty good case that metaphor was the true distinguishing feature between humans and any other creature we know of.
I think, Worm, I might take your insight and desire concerning psych/metaphor even further. The mechanism of our brains may be electro-chemical, but our actual thinking/knowledge functions only by analogy and metaphor, so psychology/psychiatry will always fail at some point unless some way is found to deal with metaphor as it 'exists', without reducing it to something else.
I also think that issues like this one [generally speaking] follow one of two patterns; a definition centered pattern [you and malik concerning psych, for example] or one of dichotomy. These patterns, it seems to me, act as limits. I've been working on an alternative that is [roughly] an overlapping segmentation/continuum of fact/function/meaning.
As applied to the apparent topic, the 'Gap' series, there are a number of possibilities. At the fact level, an entertaining [though graphic] adventure tale. The details of what happens. At the function level a variation on the 'Hero's Journey' [for me, this would also be the psych level: what characteristics of Angus cause his actions? and related questions. At the meaning level, what does this series say about good, evil, and redemption? At each level, the issues and possible questions and answers become more complex, and they progress from simply being so to being constructed by the reader(s). And the levels interact: you can't (well you can, but it's senseless) create some meaning for the series that denies the fact that Angus is a nasty S.O.B.
Just my 2 cents.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Jeff,

I'm all for that. But all I'm really trying to do is route out the witch-hunting here. I can't eliminate the tendency of others to engage in witch-hunting, but I can at least try to remove myself as a target. My post is saying that I'm not a duck, therefore I'm not a witch.

ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

I can appreciate your thought processes, WOTWE, but sometimes ... let me put it a different way. I once read a humorous list of laws. That is, they were intended strictly as satire, but one has stuck with me in regards to internet posting.
Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about.
How this is intended is simple. Most of the questions you have about the Gap fall under the heading of RAFO. Until you've finished it, your questions can't be intelligently debated by those who have.

Btw, I use this in my sig at sports sites, to obvious effect.
ItisWritten
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

ItisWritten wrote:I can appreciate your thought processes, WOTWE, but sometimes ... let me put it a different way. I once read a humorous list of laws. That is, they were intended strictly as satire, but one has stuck with me in regards to internet posting.
Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about.
How this is intended is simple. Most of the questions you have about the Gap fall under the heading of RAFO. Until you've finished it, your questions can't be intelligently debated by those who have.

Btw, I use this in my sig at sports sites, to obvious effect.
While I agree that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, and logic can be applied to rationalize anything, I still believe that The Real Story deserves to be treated as a stand-alone novella. I did not reach this decision on my own, SRD himself encouraged it in his Afterword to TRS. And so what happens in the next four books is irrelevant to appreciating that first story by itself.

When I consider TRS in the context of the next book, however, I find inconsistencies. But then, I've come to see this as just one of SRD's idiosyncracies, and nothing fatal to his writing efforts. And besides, if I have the discernment to find inconsistencies, that is only to my credit and not to SRD's discredit. It simply means I am paying close attention to the story. Isn't that a good thing?

We'll see what happens after I have read the entire series. If there is something in the next three novels which shows how courage can translate into cowardice, then I'll grant you your point.

thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Malik,

"Psychology" doesn't mean that to me at all. The journey you're talking about is almost always used spiritually. I don't know of anyone else who thinks of such a journey as psychological.

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:Malik,

"Psychology" doesn't mean that to me at all. The journey you're talking about is almost always used spiritually. I don't know of anyone else who thinks of such a journey as psychological.
People who don't believe in a spirit, perhaps? (Somehow this keeps going back to religion.) Even if you put scare quotes about "spiritual" to mean something other than a literal spirit, what does it mean now? What is figurative "spiritual" if not merely a psychological process or concept?

A person learning to value other things besides himself is a perfectly valid topic for the category, "psychological." I don't understand your resistance to this word. Even after I said we can drop it, and use "human" instead, you're still arguing against it. Weird.

I don't really have any particular fondness for this word. I'm not out to prove anything about it. I was just using it so that I could talk about the level of the story that dealt with the characters' personality, growth, personal journeys, etc. in contrast to the bare facts of the plot. In other words, I wanted to talk about the things happening internally, within the characters themselves, rather than external events. And it was my goal to do so in neutral terms that didn't imply any commitment to metaphysical or mythological concepts like a "spirit." Therefore, though it's not a perfect word, "psychological" delineates a sphere of concern which is internal, personal, and distinct from the objective, external events of the story. Character development as opposed to plot mechanics. And since SRD uses character development to explore "what it means to be human," I think this encompasses the meaning level Jeff was talking about, too.

I don't understand your "witch hunt" complaint. If someone disagrees with your analysis, you're a victim? I thought we were already done with all that, but here you are still complaining about being mistreated. I'm not trying to attack you personally. I just disagree. I think "witch hunt" goes too far . . . unless you're talking about someone else, and some other events I'm not aware of.

[Edit: I just realized that the first post here was about a month ago. I thought it was a new thread. I don't know why I've never noticed it before. Anyway, I supposed that could explain why we're still talking about this when I thought it was settled. :) ]
If there is something in the next three novels which shows how courage can translate into cowardice, then I'll grant you your point.
So I take it you didn't like my explanation? What's wrong with saying he was acting courageously towards Morn, but then cowardly when it came to saving himself?
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Malik23 wrote:
TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:Malik,

People who don't believe in a spirit, perhaps? (Somehow this keeps going back to religion.)
Because you take it there. That is the witch-hunting I referred to, your attempts to portray a duck as a witch simply because they both float on water don't fly with me.
Malik23 wrote: Even if you put scare quotes about "spiritual" to mean something other than a literal spirit, what does it mean now? What is figurative "spiritual" if not merely a psychological process or concept?

I mean exactly as my example described it, and no more than that; in this case: a metaphorical level of discussion. The 'abyss' is not psychological, it is a metaphor for a purely human state of affairs which is not psychological because it is - universal and inevitable - a-priori to all psychological musings. Besides, if I had been throwing out Bible passages from the very beginning then I wouldn't blame you for responding that way. But it apparently wasn't necessary.
Malik23 wrote: A person learning to value other things besides himself is a perfectly valid topic for the category, "psychological." I don't understand your resistance to this word. Even after I said we can drop it, and use "human" instead, you're still arguing against it. Weird.
I don't resist the word "psychology." You are employing such terms favoring reductionism, which in this case is to reduce the concept of spirit (however it is defined) in terms which psychologists are familiar and comfortable with because the abyss is what they fear.
Malik23 wrote:I don't really have any particular fondness for this word. I'm not out to prove anything about it. I was just using it so that I could talk about the level of the story that dealt with the characters' personality, growth, personal journeys, etc. in contrast to the bare facts of the plot. In other words, I wanted to talk about the things happening internally, within the characters themselves, rather than external events. And it was my goal to do so in neutral terms that didn't imply any commitment to metaphysical or mythological concepts like a "spirit." Therefore, though it's not a perfect word, "psychological" delineates a sphere of concern which is internal, personal, and distinct from the objective, external events of the story. Character development as opposed to plot mechanics. And since SRD uses character development to explore "what it means to be human," I think this encompasses the meaning level Jeff was talking about, too.
Psychological or character development does not encompass, or do justice to, the profound meaning of the journey. Such growth is not made possible on any empirical grounds, because that which rules the empirical is entropy. (You can see this in the Last Chronicles.) It can only be made possible as a purely human invention, and as such it takes part in a definition of that which is human which encompasses more than the sum of its parts, that is, which transcends the whole.

How "spiritually" a person wants to define that is up to them. But not everybody chooses to define it in terms of real spirits or deities. Metaphor often serves the same purpose. And Immanuel Kant saw these issues in terms of Ideas which serve as grounds for reflection. Psychology is not a science of reflection. But the entire procedure of a metaphorical discussion must be grounded in reflection or else you have lost the grounds for discussion and reduced its terms to absurdity. Therefore it must employ ideas not grounded in the empirical.

My basis is Kantian, not religious. He may have been a deist or agnostic, that is debatable. However, even atheist Ayn Rand grounded her philosophy in a man-worshipping religion designed to encompass religious feelings and re-orient them toward the level of man- or hero-worshipping. She rejected religion, she rejected God, but she retained the human emotions which are a part of religious belief, not as a psychology but as a philosophy. Psychology does not define these kinds of concepts. Philosophy defines them, and psychology sometimes has a role in applying them practically.

So in my own terms of the discussion here, you are throwing out the baby with the bathwater by reducing metaphor to psychology. Psychology has never derived a single metaphor, that is not its function. The very use of metaphor is beyond psychology. Psychologists may use metaphorical language to their own advantage but only because philosophers thought it up first. Reducing metaphorical language to psychology is absurd.

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:Because you take it there. That is the witch-hunting I referred to, your attempts to portray a duck as a witch simply because they both float on water don't fly with me.
I love Monty Python. But I'm not trying to portray you as a witch. You are the one who keeps bringing up religious comparisons. I think you are noticing ducklike tendencies in the chronicles, and proclaiming it to be a spirit.
I mean exactly as my example described it, and no more than that; in this case: a metaphorical level of discussion. The 'abyss' is not psychological, it is a metaphor for a purely human state of affairs which is not psychological because it is - universal and inevitable - a-priori to all psychological musings. Besides, if I had been throwing out Bible passages from the very beginning then I wouldn't blame you for responding that way. But it apparently wasn't necessary.
We crossed paths somewhere, but I'm not sure it was exactly where you think. Perhaps we originally talked around each other (assuming we knew the meaning of each other's terms), and we're still doing that. I'm willing to drop "psychological." As I said, I don't have any personal investment in this term. I've tried to explain in detail that what I mean goes beyond this term (and yet still doesn't commit one to a belief in a "ghost in the machine").

I think that "spirit" is a metaphor, too. But it's a metaphor for (perhaps) psychological processes which we don't yet know how to explain completely with science. I've said elsewhere: I don't think we are organic computers. I'm not a functionalist.
I don't resist the word "psychology." You are employing such terms favoring reductionism, which in this case is to reduce the concept of spirit (however it is defined) in terms which psychologists are familiar and comfortable with because the abyss is what they fear.
If this is truly what you think, you don't understand me. And I'm perfectly willing to admit that it's my fault for not explaining it correctly. I'm not at all a reductionist. I'm not a materialist. I think there is a level of human experience which pure materialism doesn't capture because it can't explain how matter becomes aware of itself. But at the same time, I don't necessarily think this implies a spirit . . . that would entail dualism or even worse--reductionism in the opposite direction.
Psychological or character development does not encompass, or do justice to, the profound meaning of the journey. Such growth is not made possible on any empirical grounds, because that which rules the empirical is entropy. (You can see this in the Last Chronicles.) It can only be made possible as a purely human invention, and as such it takes part in a definition of that which is human which encompasses more than the sum of its parts, that is, which transcends the whole.
If you ignore the biases and reductions involved in everyday usage of "psychological" (which I've been trying to steer away from), I think character development DOES encompass the profound meaning of this journey. Donaldson has said over and over that he's not a polemicist. He doesn't have a message. He's just telling a story about people who need these stories to happen to them. While I have myself expressed incredulity about this "I'm not a polemicist" claim (check the GI for questions by Nathan R Eddy) I do think he is being truthful. However, at the same time, I think that his idea of "character development" entails a lot more than other writers. So you are right. There is a deeper level involved. But because Donaldson is the kind of writer he is (a true master), this deeper level is subsumed in "mere" character development. So perhaps we're approaching the same point from two different directions, like simultaneous reductions toward the same paradox.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Malik23 wrote:
TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:Because you take it there. That is the witch-hunting I referred to, your attempts to portray a duck as a witch simply because they both float on water don't fly with me.
I love Monty Python. But I'm not trying to portray you as a witch. You are the one who keeps bringing up religious comparisons. I think you are noticing ducklike tendencies in the chronicles, and proclaiming it to be a spirit.
Note my new sig. If SRD made exactly the same point, is he thus portraying himself as a witch?

And "redemption" is a religious concept. That is no mere comparison, that is using religion as a direct source of inspiration. It is easy to see that SRD has also borrowed much from Eastern mysticism.
Malik23 wrote:
WormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:I mean exactly as my example described it, and no more than that; in this case: a metaphorical level of discussion. The 'abyss' is not psychological, it is a metaphor for a purely human state of affairs which is not psychological because it is - universal and inevitable - a-priori to all psychological musings. Besides, if I had been throwing out Bible passages from the very beginning then I wouldn't blame you for responding that way. But it apparently wasn't necessary.
We crossed paths somewhere, but I'm not sure it was exactly where you think. Perhaps we originally talked around each other (assuming we knew the meaning of each other's terms), and we're still doing that. I'm willing to drop "psychological." As I said, I don't have any personal investment in this term. I've tried to explain in detail that what I mean goes beyond this term (and yet still doesn't commit one to a belief in a "ghost in the machine").

I think that "spirit" is a metaphor, too. But it's a metaphor for (perhaps) psychological processes which we don't yet know how to explain completely with science. I've said elsewhere: I don't think we are organic computers. I'm not a functionalist.
I don't know of any other viewpoint that avoids functionalism, except epiphenomenalism. And the problem with that theory is that it cannot be explained scientifically, so it is only assumed axiomatically.

I find the middle ground between science and faith in philosophy.
Malik23 wrote:
WormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:]I don't resist the word "psychology." You are employing such terms favoring reductionism, which in this case is to reduce the concept of spirit (however it is defined) in terms which psychologists are familiar and comfortable with because the abyss is what they fear.
If this is truly what you think, you don't understand me. And I'm perfectly willing to admit that it's my fault for not explaining it correctly. I'm not at all a reductionist. I'm not a materialist. I think there is a level of human experience which pure materialism doesn't capture because it can't explain how matter becomes aware of itself. But at the same time, I don't necessarily think this implies a spirit . . . that would entail dualism or even worse--reductionism in the opposite direction.
You're assuming that matter has become aware of itself, but that's beside the point. I thought I would just point out the materialistic basis of your assumption.

You're bringing up an issue that's been called the Hard Problem of Consciousness.
consc.net/papers/facing.html
"Consciousness poses the most baffling problems in the science of the mind. There is nothing that we know more intimately than conscious experience, but there is nothing that is harder to explain..."
Malik23 wrote:
WormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:Psychological or character development does not encompass, or do justice to, the profound meaning of the journey. Such growth is not made possible on any empirical grounds, because that which rules the empirical is entropy. (You can see this in the Last Chronicles.) It can only be made possible as a purely human invention, and as such it takes part in a definition of that which is human which encompasses more than the sum of its parts, that is, which transcends the whole.
If you ignore the biases and reductions involved in everyday usage of "psychological" (which I've been trying to steer away from), I think character development DOES encompass the profound meaning of this journey. Donaldson has said over and over that he's not a polemicist. He doesn't have a message. He's just telling a story about people who need these stories to happen to them. While I have myself expressed incredulity about this "I'm not a polemicist" claim (check the GI for questions by Nathan R Eddy) I do think he is being truthful. However, at the same time, I think that his idea of "character development" entails a lot more than other writers. So you are right. There is a deeper level involved. But because Donaldson is the kind of writer he is (a true master), this deeper level is subsumed in "mere" character development. So perhaps we're approaching the same point from two different directions, like simultaneous reductions toward the same paradox.
When you say "Character development" you are often emphasizing the word "Character" while I am emphasizing the word "development." But I only do it to make a point: that development is not possible without projecting a goal toward which one's character is to develop. And this is not possible on empirical grounds. Science cannot explain the growth of a single blade of grass, much less the growth of human character.

Thus we have replacements for science, concepts which help us to understand these processes. I certainly agree that spiritualistic explanations should go by the wayside, but only because those explanations are faith-based. The concepts themselves can be very useful in promoting understanding of things that science can never by itself explain. Philosophers, poets, novelists, and even scientists have often borrowed concepts from religion without employing them to further any religious agenda.

I remember reading the Nathan R Eddy comments. The Kamelda comments led to responses which were more revealing. I admire the way he/she kept at it on the GI over the months until SRD's defenses crumbled, at which time, SRD declared:

'Here in the GI, I've spent mumbletymumble years (not to mention pages) proclaiming that I'm not a polemicist. But way back when, you described Covenant's "solution" as "too easy"--and what did I do? Without even realizing I was doing it, I turned into a rampant polemicist, arguing with you like a man who believes he has some kind of Answer to the Big Questions. So I've expended (part of) the past six weeks asking myself why I allowed you to trick me--er, I mean, why I tricked myself--like that.'

SRD is a polemicist, of course. Aren't we all?

rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Malik23 wrote:

I think SRD answers this to a great degree in one of his videos on his website (I think it was Wayfriend's question) about how Mordant's Need is truly a story about the societal advancement of women...but that's not really what you get out of it in terms of character development...since Geraden also has a major arc. He likens it to his own personal concept of work ethic and making sure we get value for the money we spend on his books (or don't spend, to Malik's chagrin). He wants to write a story that people will enjoy and want to read, so he hides his deeper meanings and story intentions inside his plots and characters. Personally I would have never guessed that that was what MN was really about, and I like the story enough that I'm not sure I care that that was what it was really about.

Same with the Chrons. I don't read them to be lectured on or taught some great lesson or some other "great answer" to life. I read them because the stories are awesome and the characters are awesome, and if SRD can hide his messages and morals within these great stories, more power to him.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I think SRD answers this to a great degree in one of his videos on his website (I think it was Wayfriend's question) about how Mordant's Need is truly a story about the societal advancement of women...but that's not really what you get out of it in terms of character development...since Geraden also has a major arc. He likens it to his own personal concept of work ethic and making sure we get value for the money we spend on his books (or don't spend, to Malik's chagrin). He wants to write a story that people will enjoy and want to read, so he hides his deeper meanings and story intentions inside his plots and characters. Personally I would have never guessed that that was what MN was really about, and I like the story enough that I'm not sure I care that that was what it was really about.

Same with the Chrons. I don't read them to be lectured on or taught some great lesson or some other "great answer" to life. I read them because the stories are awesome and the characters are awesome, and if SRD can hide his messages and morals within these great stories, more power to him.
:goodpost: Absolutely - couldn't agree more.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

StevieG wrote:

Absolutely - and you could also read the Bible simply as a great story with awesome characters.

rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
StevieG wrote:

Absolutely - and you could also read the Bible simply as a great story with awesome characters.
I usually do.
Rob

thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

But the Chrons can also be read as an attempt to redefine the fantasy genre by giving it the credibility of high literature in the eyes of critics who portray the whole field as nothing more than fluff. The problem is, there is so much fluff out there that I hardly think that the Chrons alone will make a dent in their presuppositions.

rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:But the Chrons can also be read as an attempt to redefine the fantasy genre by giving it the credibility of high literature in the eyes of critics who portray the whole field as nothing more than fluff. The problem is, there is so much fluff out there that I hardly think that the Chrons alone will make a dent in their presuppositions.
I suppose it could be. But to quote SRD, he's "just a guy who writes books". I think he wants to be the best writer he can be, and write the best books he can write, and critics be damned.
Rob

thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Quoting SRD saying that he's just a guy who writes books doesn't contradict the fact that he is also just a guy who wants and intends to redefine the fantasy genre by raising the bar to a new level. And he will do this even if it means re-interpreting established works such as LoTR according to his new definition. Thus, after establishing his definition with regard to the Chrons, he writes for example that Sauron is really just an aspect of Frodo, and that's why Frodo was turning evil. In other words, SRD wants to rewrite an entire genre in his own image.

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:Note my new sig. If SRD made exactly the same point, is he thus portraying himself as a witch?

And "redemption" is a religious concept. That is no mere comparison, that is using religion as a direct source of inspiration. It is easy to see that SRD has also borrowed much from Eastern mysticism.
Yes, I noticed the new sig. :)

How can "redemption" be a religious concept for Donaldson when he said:
Donaldson wrote: . . . I don't think of them as "anti-heroes." Yes, I know they're "dark," and yes, it is often unpleasant (!) to spend so much time with them. But I think of them as important people who *need* to have these stories happen to them. I am, in a manner of speaking, helping them find redemption (or personal integrity, or love, or the ability to care about something other than themselves, or whatever you choose to call it).
Atheists can have personal integrity. Atheists can love. Atheists can care about something other than themselves. Atheists can find redemption. There is nothing inherently religious about this concept, and Donaldson explicitly defines it in terms which transcend religion.

No, I wouldn't call Donaldson a witch (or anyone else). I think he uses the word "spiritual" much like he uses the word "redemption." I think the "spiritual" journey you reference in your sig is indeed the journey to redemption I've mentioned in the above quote. And since he describes it in terms which don't require a literal spirit, I think it's fair to claim he uses this word in a figurative sense.

But you also make a fair point that he has borrowed from religious inspiration, though I feel it misses a larger point if one doesn't view that in its proper context, that his aims transcend religion, to something far more universal and human.
I don't know of any other viewpoint that avoids functionalism, except epiphenomenalism. And the problem with that theory is that it cannot be explained scientifically, so it is only assumed axiomatically.
In SHADOWS OF THE MIND, Roger Penrose developed an interesting middle ground theory which rejected both functionalism and mysticism, but yet still insisted that mind is produced by the brain, and can eventually be explained by science. However, a new science will be necessary to explain it (perhaps a new physics), because mind is a phenomenon which can't be captured with axiomatic or algorithmic explanations. His main source of evidence for mind transcending current science (or functionalism explanations) is that humans can understand Godel's Theorem, which no algorithmic system could achieve.
I find the middle ground between science and faith in philosophy.
Then perhaps we have more in common than either of us has realized.
WormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:]I don't resist the word "psychology." You are employing such terms favoring reductionism, which in this case is to reduce the concept of spirit (however it is defined) in terms which psychologists are familiar and comfortable with because the abyss is what they fear.
Honestly, I didn't expect you to be so rigorous in your objection to "psychological." I admit that I used this term in a sloppy manner, and intended to mean something closer to "human" in order to talk about character development instead of plot mechanics. I am not a reductionist. In purely philosophical terms, I'm a neutral monist.
You're assuming that matter has become aware of itself, but that's beside the point. I thought I would just point out the materialistic basis of your assumption.
Aren't you made of matter? Aren't you aware of yourself? It's not an assumption that matter has become aware of itself. It's evident in each of us. But that's different from being a materialist. I do not think mental properties are material. Qualia, subjectivity, and intentionality aren't material entities, nor can they be described in terms appropriate for the description of matter. So while this might seem to lead to dualism (and the contradictory problems that entails), I think a "middle ground" approach is closer to the truth (hence my neutral monism stance). I think we still misunderstand both matter and mind.
When you say "Character development" you are often emphasizing the word "Character" while I am emphasizing the word "development." But I only do it to make a point: that development is not possible without projecting a goal toward which one's character is to develop. And this is not possible on empirical grounds. Science cannot explain the growth of a single blade of grass, much less the growth of human character.
I never invoked science to explain character development--but this does certainly explain your resistance to my terms, if you thought I meant a realm of human activity studied by and "explained" psychologists.

I do think I stressed development.
I remember reading the Nathan R Eddy comments. The Kamelda comments led to responses which were more revealing. . . .
SRD is a polemicist, of course. Aren't we all?
Well, there's a difference between becoming a polemicist after the fact in response to reader questions, and setting out to be a polemicist from the beginning. I honestly believe he doesn't write stories as an act of polemics.

This is the GI question I was talking about:
Mr. Donaldson,

You have insisted repeatedly that you are not a polemicist; instead, you write a story for its own sake, because it moves or excites you in some way. But this strikes me as misleading, because what excites you is necessarily entangled with deeper issues like French existentialism (as you’ve mentioned above). So I’m guessing that what passes for “exciting” to Mr. Donaldson goes a lot deeper than what most people would describe as an exciting story. And from reading others like me in this forum, I assume lots of us are reading your work for this very reason, for that underlying depth which gives your characters their meaning, their relevance, and their emotional power. What makes your characters “real” is that their journeys touch upon "what it means to be human”—another description you’ve given for your writing.

But isn’t this exactly what existentialism is? An account of our being-in-the-world? A description of “the human condition”? Life, death, freewill, our roles as our own lawgiver/enforcer/judge (as Nietzsche might say). If “what it means to be human” is that deeper level upon which your stories are grounded, then perhaps you would consider “existential metaphor,” if not “allegory” as a description of what you do? Or "existential fantasy?"

I’m not really trying to find a label for you. I just feel that in an effort to resist that particular label (polemicist), you misleadingly diminish the part of your work that so many of us find unique and epiphanic.

So I suppose my question is: do you REALLY think that your creative impulses can be explained in terms of pursuing an exciting story, or is this just a simplified version you offer to stave off more confusion and misplaced assumptions?

If (as you’ve said here) there are conscious and subconscious parts to our freewill, then this deeper level of significance, which leaks into your stories, is just as much your choice as your stated reasons for writing them. Your passion is obviously under your control. I’m confused why you distance yourself from what it “inadvertently” produces in your writing.

<sigh> This is all so much more complicated than I ever wanted it to be. You make a number of perfectly valid points. And yet there are some insidiously misleading assumptions at work, many of which I've inadvertently fostered.

In this interview and elsewhere, I've made a number of statements about my work which (apparently) justify your observations. But there are a couple of critical points here which tend to get lost in the discussion (I mean lost by me as well as by other people). 1) Every statement I've ever made that bears on the "content" of my work was made in retrospect; looking back on the work after it was done. In other words, it was made from my perspective as a reader, not from my perspective as the writer. 2) Every statement I've ever made that bears on the "content" of my work was made in response to a question. In other words, it was elicited from a perspective external to my own. Oh, and there may be a third critical point here as well: most of the statements I've made that bear on the "content" of my work were/are intended to apply to art/literature/fantasy in general rather than to my work in particular.

In this context, yes, I really do think that my creative impulses can be explained in terms of pursuing an exciting story. And yes, OF COURSE, who I am as a person profoundly affects what I find exciting. And in addition, my training as a student of literature affects both what I find exciting and how I talk about that excitement. Nevertheless I must insist: I DO NOT HAVE A MESSAGE. Certainly not in the sense that "allegory" implies. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, teach you anything, demonstrate anything, or advocate for anything.

My *message,* if I have one, is simply that good stories are worth reading. Why? Because, in my experience, they expand us. How? By engaging us in extremely specific individuals experiencing extremely specific dilemmas which we would not have encountered otherwise, but which (precisely because they are not us) can increase the range of what we're able to understand and (perhaps) empathize with. Polemics, by definition, is about generalization. Story-telling, by definition, is entirely consumed in specifics.

So you could--if you were so inclined--say that my stance as a story-teller is one of "existential humanism." But that is not at all the same thing as saying that my stories are *about* existential humanism. My stories are not *about* anything except my characters and their emotions; their dilemmas and their responses to those dilemmas.

The observations that we can make about a particular story, or about stories in general, after we have experienced them have the potential to be very educational: they can continue the process of expansion. But they also have the potential to be very misleading because they can confuse the observation with the experience.

Apparently I've made that mistake more often than I realized.

(03/18/2005)
I think we both made the same mistake here in assuming an entire linguistic history behind the terms we both chose: psychological vs spiritual. You thought I meant something materialistic, reductionist, and scientific. I thought you meant something dualistic, mystical, or supernatural. While I'm still not clear on what exactly you mean by "spiritual," I do realize I underestimated you. And, I hope I've made my own meaning clearer.

Return to “The Gap Series”