The Power that Preserves, Chapter 20: The Unbeliever

LFB, TIW, TPTP

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

That's true. He's a cast-iron s.o.b. to the end!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I agree. Good observation, Orlion!
Fist and Faith wrote: And I really like Foul's little speech. Enough to type it out. :)
When he was fully present, Lord Foul folded his arms on his chest and said harshly, "Now you do in truth see me, groveler." His tone gave no hint of fear or surrender. "Do you yet believe that you are my master? Fool! I grew beyond your petty wisdom or belief long before your world's babyhood. I tell you plainly, groveler - Despite such as mine is the only true fruit of experience and insight. In time you will not do otherwise than I have done. You will learn contempt for your fellow beings - for the small malices which they misname their loves and beliefs and hopes and loyalties. You will learn that it is easier to control them than to forbear - easier and better. You will not do otherwise. You will become a shadow of what I am - you will be a despiser without the courage to despise. Continue, groveler. Destroy my work if you must - slay me if you can - but make an end! I am weary of your shallow misperception."
*WHEW* His view of everything is certainly not my view, but he sure is absolute about it!
Yes. I think that was the greatest speech Lord Foul ever gave (barring some future devastating diatribe in the Last Chronicles). He seems to express his whole outlook on life here. His words moved me in a perverse way.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Furls Fire and the rest of the commenters did an amazing job analyzing this chapter, I must say! SO amazing that it becomes a challenge to think up any observation that has not already been posted. But, perhaps I can contribute some new thought about this chapter if I put my mind to it... :!:
At once, the Despiser attacked him. Foul put his hands on the Illearth Stone, placed his power on the pulsing heart of its violence. He sent green might raving at Covenant.

It fell on him like the collapse of a mountain, piled onto him like tons of wrecked stone. At first he could not focus the ring on it, and it drove him staggering backward. But then he found his error. He had tried to use the wild magic like a tool or weapon, something which could be wielded. But High Lord Mhoram had told him, You are the white gold. It was not a thing to be commanded, employed well or ill as skill or awkwardness allowed. Now that it was awake, it was a part of him, an expression of himself. He did not need to focus it, aim it; bone and blood, it arose from his passion.

With a shout, he threw back the attack, shattered it into a million droplets of rank fever.
In Chapter 22 of [i]The Illearth War[/i] was wrote:"Ah, bearer, ask the Sunbirth Sea or Melenkurion Skyweir. Question the fires of Gorak Krembal, or the tinder heart of Garroting Deep. All the Earth knows. White gold is brought into use like any other power - through passion and mystery, the honest subterfuge of the heart."
It turns out Amok gave Thomas Covenant a straight answer when TC asked him how to use his ring. |R Amok answered that it came from his passion. This is a surprising realization that Amok took Covenant's question very seriously, for giving straight answers was certainly not Amok's usual style. Amok's typical style of reply would be like when Covenant asked him what he knew about the white gold:
"Much and little, Bearer." Amok answered with a laugh and a bow. " It is said that White Gold articulates the wild magic which destroys peace. But who is able to describe peace?"
Amok only made it sound like he was being evasive when he answered Covenant's question about how to use the white gold, when he was actually giving Covenant the knowledge. And at the time TC was too relieved in believing he had an excuse not to use the ring to realize he was being told how to employ it...I find this kind of interesting. 8)
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

:S
Cord Hurn wrote:Furls Fire and the rest of the commenters did an amazing job analyzing this chapter, I must say! SO amazing that it becomes a challenge to think up any observation that has not already been posted. But, perhaps I can contribute some new thought about this chapter if I put my mind to it... :!: :!:
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In [i]The Power That Preserves[/i] was wrote:"You will not so much as touch me!"
Just noticed that Foul says this. Think about it. :wink:
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

wayfriend wrote:
In [i]The Power That Preserves[/i] was wrote:"You will not so much as touch me!"
Just noticed that Foul says this. Think about it. :wink:

It's like some part of him is a reflection of Covenant, whether he wants to admit it, or not! :lol:
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

dlbpharmd wrote:Nice job, Furls Fire!

Everytime I read this chapter, I'm struck by how obvious it is that Foul will come back. I have the same thoughts at the end of WGW. I hope it will be different at the end of the Third Chronicles.
Spoiler
And, I had those same thoughts. :roll:
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

dlbpharmd wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:Nice job, Furls Fire!

Everytime I read this chapter, I'm struck by how obvious it is that Foul will come back. I have the same thoughts at the end of WGW. I hope it will be different at the end of the Third Chronicles.
Spoiler
And, I had those same thoughts. :roll:
Spoiler
My feeling is I don't think Foul can break free anymore, that Covenant can contain him via "the Foamfollower solution". But more than that I probably should not say in this sub- forum. :3M:

Return to “1st Chronicles”