Weretiger's Curse - The Mages' Guild [Irian]

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Weretiger's Curse - The Mages' Guild [Irian]

Post by Nathan »

Irian decided to visit the Mages' guild to see what she could find out about arcane healing.

Their HQ is a tall, ornate building with gargoyles protruding from the masonry at various levels. The main door is guarded by burly men in armour, but they ignore Irian as she walks past.

Inside, you see a similar setup to the apothecaries' guild, but they have emblems to a different god whom you don't recognise.

The clerk behind the desk asks "what is your business?"
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Irian
Giantfriend

Post by Irian »

The elven sorcerer slipped into the ornate building as surreptitiously as she could. She had found wandering in the vicinity of Scragnoth an eye opening experience over the past few days, and was cherishing what she learned of Vargon during their time together.

But, at times the presence of the fighter still felt...stifling. And she felt his disapproval at her interest in healing whenever she opened her healer's kit to take stock of supplies, or to bandage a wound here and there which didn't require the blessing of Pelor from Brother Charn. I guess his own devotion to Pelor causes him to look frowningly upon my small efforts, she thought to herself. So sending him off on some small made-up errand for her [unsure which skill, if any, is needed here, but escape artist or hide to evade Vargon for a short time please], she took the opportunity to slip away from his constant vigilance, and to begin her inquiries into what other things were held dear to her heart.

Entering the shadowy entrance of the Hall, Irian takes a studied look around until the clerk calls her attention to him. Walking up to his desk, she makes a small curtsy and says humbly, [diplomacy, if needed] "I am a visitor to Scragnoth from the northeast, and am interested in learning about Healing." Seeing the clerk beginning to point up the road towards the Apothecaries Guild, she quickly continues, "I have already inquired at the hall of the Apothecaries Guild, but as I am not a career devotee of any deity, although I do worship Ehlenestra, they directed me to make inquiries here. Is there anyone to whom I may speak regarding the possibility of learning Healing in a non-divine manner? Or a library someplace where I could research the matter for myself?" she asks with baited breath.
In the cool shade of the glade, adventure awaits...
~avatar by DeviantART's tracyjb, graphic shared by Shadow Strike
Vargon
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Vargon »

Vargon noticed the sneaky movements of Irian... she's trying again to avoid his vigilance... Vargon decides to follow her but after few minutes the elf seems to spot him.
Since he was caught , he decides simply to follow her at a distance, winking at her when she looks to him.

Once she's in the HQ of the mages, he reaches her flank. Without look at her he waits for the response of the personnel.
In the name of the King, i will serve!
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

The clerk replies,

"I'm sure there'll be someone who has done research into this. I'll send the boy to find out."

He dings the bell on his desk (it's one of those ones you get in hotels which you press for service at the counter when nobody's there) and a young man no older than 15 runs in from the back.

"What do you need, master?"

"Go to the Hall of Records and see if anyone had conducted research into Arcane Healing. Make it quick, we don't want to keep the wizard and her servant waiting!"
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Irian
Giantfriend

Post by Irian »

Vargon wrote:Vargon noticed the sneaky movements of Irian... she's trying again to avoid his vigilance... Vargon decides to follow her but after few minutes the elf seems to spot him.
Since he was caught , he decides simply to follow her at a distance, winking at her when she looks to him.

Once she's in the HQ of the mages, he reaches her flank. Without looking at her he waits for the response of the personnel.
[ooc]...aaargh!!!... :hithead:[/ooc]
Mages Guild Clerk wrote:"Go to the Hall of Records and see if anyone had conducted research into Arcane Healing. Make it quick, we don't want to keep the wizard and her servant waiting!"
Irian blushes fiercely and speaks up hurriedly. "Please hold, for a second, page." Addressing herself back to the clerk, she explains, "There seems to be a slight misunderstanding. I am a spontaneous spellcaster, not an educated one, but wish to attempt to try studying spells I don't innately know, to see if I can learn arcane healing.

"Has such been done before? This in truth is what I seek here.
"
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

"You are a Sorcerer?!"

The clerk almost spits the word out, as if he doesn't even want it passing through his mouth.

"Your kind are not welcome here at all! Leave immediately before I summon the guards!"
Irian
Giantfriend

Post by Irian »

[ooc]...somehow, I knew that was coming...[/ooc]

Lifting her head high, the elven maid stared at the clerk, her eyes starting to snap angrily, but everything else held in check. Her tone dropping to an emotionless whisper, she asks him, [still Diplomacy, and perhaps Sense Motive now as well, to see if it is blatant prejudice on his part, or something else] "Good sir. Before I take my leave, or you throw me out of your hallowed Hall, may I inquire as to why my class is not welcome here? Should not knowledge be open to all? Yes, I can cast a select number of spells with no previous study needed. That does not mean should I choose to study magick that it would be beyond my intelligence.

"All I ask, good sir, is the opportunity to try to learn. Is there a reason a request for knowledge is denied?

"If I must leave, do you know of any other spontaneous spellcasters within Scragnoth who can heal? Or of a library in town open to everyone where I may research this on my own? Perhaps if your guild will not help me, you can at least guide me as to where I should start?
"
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

The man calms down enough to tell you a little more:

"Sorcerers are not welcome here because magic is something you study hard to understand, or are granted by the gods. Your "spontaneous" magic is an aberration and should be outlawed. Why should real mages have to toil for their power while your type wakes up one day and find out they can wield arcane might at a whim?

No! We will not help you, and you will not come back. Leave immediately."
Irian
Giantfriend

Post by Irian »

Cheeks flaming, Irian spins around and stalks out of the Hall. Outlawed? she wonders to herself. My magick is a gift from the g-ds, one I was born with, not blessed with by taking vows. How in the world could you "outlaw" an innate gift?

Striding down the grand steps back to street level, Irian casts her glance around the main street [spot? search?], hoping to find a member of the capital Watch to ask for directions to the nearest library accessible to all which might contain volumes on arcane magick.

Her look warns Vargon away. You really don't want to deal with me right now, she thinks as her gaze slides past the big fighter.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

You find a member of the city guard and he tells you that there is no public library, only private ones maintained by the individual guilds.
Irian
Giantfriend

Post by Irian »

Jaw dropping open at the answer, Irian thanks the guard but inside she is seething. No library at all? In the capital??? she wonders to herself.

Frustrated beyond her endurance, Irian turns towards Vargon. "Follow me if you must, but leave me be. I am going to find a tavern, one hopefully with a talented bard to distract my thoughts while I listen to tales and song, and order some elven wine. I have never attempted to drown out frustration before, so this may take awhile..."

Leaving Vargon to follow as he chooses, Irian starts walking through the capital, listening for lilting strains of song to follow to lose her thoughts in.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

The whole city is packed full of taverns, it seems like the place must run on alcohol, so it's not too long before you find one selling Elven wine. A minstrel sits on a stool by the fireplace, strumming on his lute and singing passionately about love. His lute-case lies open before him and it's layered with a healthy amount of copper, and even some silver, pieces.

Many of the patrons ignore him, caught up in their own thoughts or conversations, but others seem to be captivated by the beautiful music, listening raptly while he weaves tales of love and loss with his music, breaking the spell momentarily to gulp their drinks, they fall back into their trancelike state almost immediately.

Clearly the fellow knows how to handle a musical instrument, and he looks like he's doing quite well for himself, his clothes don't look cheap, and he gives off an aura of sophistication and trustworthiness. He's also stunningly good looking, and you notice that many of the drinkers today are women. Coincidence? Perhaps the man plays here regularly.
Irian
Giantfriend

Post by Irian »

Following the sound of the lute and trained voice, Irian approaches the entrance to the tavern and looks to see if it is reputable or seedy. The aura from the bard himself convinces her to enter. Looking to see if Vargon still followed [he did, damn it] she looked for a place to sit to enjoy her wine and the entertainment...
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

While you sit and enjoy your wine, the musician continues to impress with his musical prowess.

Eventually, he comes to the end of a song and does't start another one.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for listening, and for your kind generosity! I'll be here the same time next week."

He starts packing up his things to leave.
Irian
Giantfriend

Post by Irian »

The wine getting the best of her senses, yet not enough to forget her frustration, Irian rises and approaches the minstrel. "Good sir, is there no way to convince you to play another set? she asks, casually flipping a gold piece into his lute-case.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

He turns to look at you with his deep blue eyes and holds your gaze for a few seconds without saying a word.

Eventually he says

"What is your name, my lady?"

He waits for an answer, his striking eyes still staring into yours.
Irian
Giantfriend

Post by Irian »

Her mind slightly fuzzy from the bottle of fine elven wine she has already consumed, the elf looks back at the minstrel and attempts a fumbling curtsy. "I am Irian, kind sir. I came in towards the end of your performance, and would appreciate hearing more, if you would."

Trying to break his gaze, the elf stumbles, gashing her elbow on a nearby table. Muttering to herself in embarrassment, "The g-ds be...pheh. All I want is to be able to cast an arcane healing spell," she makes her way back to her backpack, and digs out her healers kit, bandaging the elbow in a clumsy manner. Then sits and resumes drinking her wine, while waiting to see if the performance will continue.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

The man continues to watch you quizzically until you sit down, he doesn't seem to take much notice of what you're saying, then he picks up his lute again and says,

"One last song. This one is for Irian."

He plays a song of doleful melancholy, the story of an unlikely relationship between human and orc in times of yore. How they tried, and failed to keep their forbidden love secret, but were eventually each hounded and killed by their own families for what was (and still is) considered a crime against nature.

You've heard the story of Romk and Julia before, it's a common fairy tale, but the way the Bard plays it fills you with empathy for the two torn lovers. How they must have felt, knowing that what they were doing was wrong, but unable to stop.

The song comes to its eventual conclusion and the bard starts packing his things to leave again.
Irian
Giantfriend

Post by Irian »

The song fills Irian with sorrow, and she steals a glance at the fighter who tails her constantly. Forbidden love, she thinks, whether forbidden through society or perception of a duty, just...stinks.

Resigning herself that the music had ended, she turns her attention to her primary reason for entering the tavern, and pours herself yet another goblet of wine.
Irian
Giantfriend

Post by Irian »

Glancing over at the silent, disapproving visage of Vargon, who hasn't touched a drop of wine or any other spirit, but sits next to her with his arms crossed against his chest, the elf disappointingly upturns the now empty bottle of fine elven wine. "Oh well, she mumbles to herself, "what's another 10 gold anyway?" Starting to stand, the room begins to spin, and she sits back down with a thump.

Grinning foolishly at Vargon, she says to him, "Perhaps a short break is in order," and with those words lays her head in her arms on to the table, and softly begins to snore.

Return to “D&D Weretiger's Curse”