Total votes: 9

jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Your Opinion of RotE?

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

What's yur take?
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Your Opinion of RotE?

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote:What's yur take?
Define "meh" please!
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Okay, uninterested...mediocre, meh.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

Frankly, I find that the story just gets crazier and crazier. Kind of like the original Star Wars that had a story that mostly made sense deteriorate into a family affair: "I am your father!" and "She is my sister!" and "What I told you was true, from a certain point of view." Only Runes magnifies it. As depressing as I found the second series to be, it didn't really do that. (I am a big fan of the first series, would've dumped the second series - only the climax of WGW was so (both) logical and mega-cool that I found I could tolerate the build-up.
Runes is an overblow of: he's plotting to do this, she's plotting to do that, and they all hide it in double and triple speak and the interrelations cease to be like what we know in real life. The sequel intensified this for me. I'm not sure whether I care to follow it any further (never mind that I have to specially order it from America). I just can't get worked up about the Mahdoubt or the Masters the way I do about Foamfollower and the Bloodguard.

"We are the Bloodguard." I really miss that line.

I note that the thread would not be so titled unless it was a serious possibility.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." Bill Hingest ("That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis)

"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

ROTE is ok. FR is better.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

I chose the last one..... I would read third party offshoots of this story if they were written, so anything by SRD is going to be received happily from me.. unless he just sums it up by saying TC had a brain tumor and after the tumors removal all memory of the land ceased to exist including his delusion that he had leprosy, so barring that i am all good.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I liked the beginning. I liked the run up the mountainside with Anele's story and the kresh catching up. I like Esmer, the ramen, verge of wandering. I loved the horserite. I even liked Linden creating a caesure and going back in time.

Sometime after that, it went downhill for me. Maybe going back in time should have been a bigger deal. The demondim were disappointing. The last quarter seemed rushed. I didn't like what the Masters had turned into. And Linden's dilemma with the Masters didn't seem to have enough urgency.

But I liked it.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I really was surprised by RotE in B&N. I had to look the book over for twenty minutes before I was convinced that it was a new TC book, at which point, I frightened all within the the store with a hearty, "HELL, YEAH!" This feeling was only intensified for me when time travel became a factor...
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Riiigghhhtttt! "Holy Crap, OMG, f***...a new Covenant?!!!!!!"
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Malik23 wrote: I didn't like what the Masters had turned into.
That's something I hadn't thought of really, but it's true. How hard it is to actually almost dislike Haruchai, regardless of why. Personally I find their plight in the 3rd Chrons more of an abomination then the 2nd. At least in the 2nd they had not lost sight of who they were and what they are about.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

rdhopeca wrote:
Malik23 wrote: I didn't like what the Masters had turned into.
That's something I hadn't thought of really, but it's true. How hard it is to actually almost dislike Haruchai, regardless of why. Personally I find their plight in the 3rd Chrons more of an abomination then the 2nd. At least in the 2nd they had not lost sight of who they were and what they are about.
Bump...
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

why bump a post that was only posted 6 minutes before the quoted post was posted?

...just wonderin' ..... :?
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Your Opinion of RotE?

Post by SleeplessOne »

I liked it margainally more than FR ...
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Seareach wrote:why bump a post that was only posted 6 minutes before the quoted post was posted?

...just wonderin' ..... :?
doesn't "bump" mean "I agree with the last post"?
Sorry, my netequette sucks... :)
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

I believe that to "bump" a post is to take one that hasn't been posted on for a while and "bump" it back up so that people are aware of its existence.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

yeah, rdhopeca right. I always actually thought it was an anagram for "bring up my post" but that might just be purely coincidental.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Seareach wrote:yeah, rdhopeca right. I always actually thought it was an anagram for "bring up my post" but that might just be purely coincidental.
Well then, 6 minutes is too long...need...to...post...more...quicker...precious...
:Help:
:roll: ;)
Last edited by jacob Raver, sinTempter on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Runes...

Ah.

I liked it. The first time I read it I wasn't prepared for how different to the First Chrons it was. Though I felt the same with teh 2nd Chrons, coz the Land was so different. And ultimately I wanted it to be a little different to what it was.

BUT now, after re-reading it and all I really like it. I love the pride of the Ramen, and the ramen v bloodguard conflict. I love Stave's stance he takes against the rest of the Masters..

SD was very bold to demonstrate the Haruchai as something dangerous to the Land. Respect for that.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

Just about done with my second time through RotE, and it is growing on me.

I Have to agree with a lot of what Ninjaboy has said.

Even Liand doesn't irk me so much this time through.

I'm so glad the ur-Viles are on our side now... me being spawn of Demondim-spawn and all. :mrgreen:
Meets or Exceeds International Humane Kill Standards.

Perpetual Motion or Until the Rubber Band Wears Out Motion
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Stave ROOLS

Post by Krazy Kat »

I think Stephen Donaldson has outdone himself this time!

The Runes of the Earth is...ah hell, like Stave said to Linden in the Stonedown goal, 'there's aren't sufficient words to describe it!'.

Did anyone see the significance of Jeremiah's Greek Temple?
Greek temples were mostly used for votive offerings (the modern equivalent would be coins thrown into a fountain): sacrificial offerings were usually done outside the temple. So it's likely that Liand is an offering to Linden by the Master's. Why would they do this?

The Runes of the Earth is breathtaking. I have to close the book to catch my breath; drink some coffee, take a walk outside. I'm already regreting reaching the last chapter as it will take a long time to return afresh.

Come on people, let Stave punch you in the forehead...

*@!:*>?"%^>

the colours are fantastic

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”