AATE Exists!!!!!!!

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

You are very wise, Master of the Plains...
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Ur Dead wrote:
AjK wrote:
Orlion wrote:It's a shame though that the world will end in 2012
I am Against that. :biggrin:
Wouldn't that make you:

Against All Things Ending
Actually, it only makes him Against All Things Ending Before Against All Things Ending. :)
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

AJKAATEBAATE (A-J-K-A-teh-bAte?)
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

wayfriend wrote:
Ur Dead wrote:
AjK wrote: I am Against that. :biggrin:
Wouldn't that make you:

Against All Things Ending
Actually, it only makes him Against All Things Ending Before Against All Things Ending. :)
Not to put too fine a point on it, but AATE is due in 2010, so it will arrive before All Things End in 2012 (if indeed they do...) AjK is actually Against All Things Ending Before The Last Dark.

Which is the way it should be and must be. Against All Things Ending must preceed The Last Dark, or The Last Dark won't make much sense.

Rather like this post, I guess! :P
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

Enough of this madness! Hand over the masterpiece!
Wide Eyed Stupid
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Mr. Broken wrote:Enough of this madness! Hand over the masterpiece!
Maybe we should do the Seven thing with 'em...see what he produces, eh? :twisted:
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I'm very happy to hear this because us GRRM fans keep getting pushed back on A Song Of Ice and Fire series. heh,
The King has one more move.
I-Jeroth
Servant of the Land

Post by I-Jeroth »

As an Atheist - and an avowed Thomas Covenantist - I just want AATE now :!!!:
And that just coz I'm an impatient zealot.
:twisted:
sweetbread
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by sweetbread »

I definitely be willing to do just about anything to get a peak at those initial 1052 and 1209 page drafts. I wonder what all was cut out or revised; this could bring up many points as well, for instance, suppose one of the editors just so happened to secretly be a member of THOOLAH!!!! what then? This entire Order could have been founded upon a premise that was perpetuated by a few high placed official who were sympathetic to the cause....

sounds like a controversy brewin here, and only those first drafts will exonerate or condemn Linden Avery for the %^$^ she is.....

Can somebody serve this man a court order or something? =)
emotional leper wrote:Is bad-assness not a most puissant power, Ninjaboy?
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

I guess i better get started removing this signature from my account. having experience with favorite writers trying to hurry something, I hope he takes his time. Last thing i want to see is TC getting to his tower (Dark tower by King) and SRD ending the story with,

She came out of the store just in time to see her young son playing on the sidewalk directly in the path of the gray, gaunt man who strode down the center of the walk like a mechanical derelict.

I swear that will kill me.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Blackhawk wrote:I guess i better get started removing this signature from my account. having experience with favorite writers trying to hurry something, I hope he takes his time. Last thing i want to see is TC getting to his tower (Dark tower by King) and SRD ending the story with,

She came out of the store just in time to see her young son playing on the sidewalk directly in the path of the gray, gaunt man who strode down the center of the walk like a mechanical derelict.

I swear that will kill me.
Agreed, lucky for us, SRD said in Feb. '08 of the GI:
This is a huge spoiler, but I can't resist.

I would rather be dead than leave my readers (and myself) feeling the way I felt when I finished "The Dark Tower".

Even with his habit of throwing us off in his GI, I think it's conclusive and safe to say that we won't have a crappy "King" ending to the chronicles.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Orlion wrote:Agreed, lucky for us, SRD said in Feb. '08 of the GI:
This is a huge spoiler, but I can't resist.

I would rather be dead than leave my readers (and myself) feeling the way I felt when I finished "The Dark Tower".

Even with his habit of throwing us off in his GI, I think it's conclusive and safe to say that we won't have a crappy "King" ending to the chronicles.
Actually this is one of the reasons that I haven't tackled the Dark Tower series - there are a lot of books to get through for an (apparently) unsatisfying ending.

I think the end of the Last Chronicles will leave us feeling glad that we read the series (I am a natural optomist, but SRD hasn't let me down yet).
renny
Ramen

dark tower pants

Post by renny »

words cannot describe how I felt when I reached the conclusion of that accursed series - the first 4 books were amongst the best that king had written, the last 3 the worst. It was bad enough including himself in the story but the ending was THE WORST ending of all time. Totally destroyed any faith I had left in him as a writer.

Mr Donaldson however is different bananas and I have said on here that I felt ROTE was the set up and that the story would take off with FR and IMVHO I think I was right - and that quote from the GI really made me very happy - I think we are in safe hands and whatever the outcome I trust Mr Donaldson to get it right.

After first reading LFB in 1979 though I could do with it happening a little faster LOL
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Was anyone still expecting a good ending from Stephen King Horror/Fantasy when Dark Tower came out? I've only read Salem's Lot, but, I've seen many Stephen King movies, and been told the endings matched the books, and I long ago came to the conclusion he has some great ideas for stories, and builds them fantastically, but, it's almost like he loses interest in his stories, and just throws an ending out there so he can be done with it. My mother actually says his non-Horror/SciFi are all real good (which I haven't read any of), but, she agrees with my assessment of his Horror/Fantasy stuff. I did like the Carrie and Misery movies, but, can't think of any others with satisfying endings
renny
Ramen

Post by renny »

I think thats a fair assessment - Ive read all his books ( up till the dark tower) and most of them feel that way. The diference with the tower is that I had to wait 20+ years for that sh*te!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Didn't SK get hit by a van while out walking one day, and that was the end of the DT series as we knew it? I hope the people of Albequerque drive safely ...
renny
Ramen

Post by renny »

yes you're right - he even included that in the last book!

I put up with him all the way through his books about bad things happening to bestselling authors then I have to put up with books about car crash victims. Looking back now I cant believe how hard up I was for a decent read in those days - thank God for Steven Erikson and now of course the return of Mr Donaldson.

Surely while he is waiting for the d&a of AATE he will have started TLD ?

If not why not? :lol:
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

renny wrote:
Surely while he is waiting for the d&a of AATE he will have started TLD ?

If not why not? :lol:
Actually some authors deliberately wait until a book is released before starting on the next one, because if they write too much of the new one, the line blurs for them between the two books, and they may not write a proper description for something mistakenly remembering it was introduced in the prior book, or they may accidentally give away a spoiler for the next book when talking about the current one.

Plus, writing can be an all consuming job, 10 or more hours a day, 7 days a week, so they need a vacation for some recuperation time, and time to spend with family and friends.
Last edited by sindatur on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Not to mention that it's still a full time job getting a book through editing and proofing before it's done. Maybe other authors have it easier, but it seems to be a very demanding time for SRD.

Then there's the book tours. And the groupies.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

sindatur wrote:Was anyone still expecting a good ending from Stephen King Horror/Fantasy when Dark Tower came out? I've only read Salem's Lot, but, I've seen many Stephen King movies, and been told the endings matched the books, and I long ago came to the conclusion he has some great ideas for stories, and builds them fantastically, but, it's almost like he loses interest in his stories, and just throws an ending out there so he can be done with it. My mother actually says his non-Horror/SciFi are all real good (which I haven't read any of), but, she agrees with my assessment of his Horror/Fantasy stuff. I did like the Carrie and Misery movies, but, can't think of any others with satisfying endings
:goodpost: It's good to see that other people out there share my opinion...

Which makes me wonder, why are they having him do the last few episodes of 'Lost'? That fact alone does not bode well to me...
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Return to “Against All Things Ending”