The Movies

Not whitegold ring chat. The one ring chat.

Moderator: High Lord Tolkien

Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

They did it for money?! Really?! I thought they were getting paid in peanuts! :roll: ;)

Obviously, I loved the movies, and I thought it was done with the utmost respect to Tolkien. When I was watching them I felt the spirit of the books. Many experts on Tolkien agreed. It's simply amazing enough that the seemingly impossible was done and it was put to celluloid.

Anyway, Jackson always had a copy of Lord of the Rings on set, and many times the actors suggested things to keep it more faithful to the book. It was a labor of love, make no mistake.

Overall, I think it was a success, with things added for dramatic effect, as is natural in the cinematic medium.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Revelstone_dweller
Stonedownor

Post by Revelstone_dweller »

HAh! Maybe he had a copy of LOTR with him, but in CHINESE !
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Peter Jackson was and is the only person I can think of that could have turned this masterpiece into a movie. If you read several of his interviews and watch the extended interviews on the DVD's you will find that his rendition of the books was a labor of love. I also thought that no one could ever turn The Lord of the Rings into a movie and remain true to the spirit of Tolkien. But I was wrong. PJ did an awesome job, and all the work that went into making these movies was incredible, from the massive set construction of Edoras, Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith, to the most minute detail on Aragorn's sword. This was NOT just for "money"...this had been a dream of Jackson's since his boyhood, when LOTR captured his heart...like it captured all of ours...

I believe Tolkien would have been pleased, even though there were several changes to the story, but they were minor changes and in no way took away from the essential plot...which was Frodo braving incredible odds and destroying the Ring in the pit of Mt Doom....
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Worm of Despite
Lord

Also, I've said it before and I'll be saying it again and again: I wouldn't have watched movies if they were 100% faithful to the book. I wanted something that was LOTR and in the spirit of it, but it needed its own flavor and a few unexpected changes of pace from the book. Otherwise, it's just the "same old thing", except on the movie screen instead of in the book. Just look at the Harry Potter movies and see how much it suffers from following the book verbatim. Why even watch movies like that? If I wanted something that faithful to the book--heck--I'll just read the book!
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

OH...and did I mention Gollum??? who'd a thought Gollum would come out soooo realistically?? Kudos to Andy Serkis!!! :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Worm of Despite
Lord

Yeah, I was so worried about that, but then when I saw his first scene in Two Towers my confidence skyrocketed--and my jaw dropped.

Post by Guest »

Just announced!! The Return of the King will be released on home video and DVD on May 25, 2004!!! :D :D
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

You say it like it's a good thing...
Worm of Despite
Lord

If ya don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

In that case I'd never speak. :P
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

To revive this:

The Return of the King on Extended DVD was wonderful, with one major exception.

There isn't a chance the the Witch King could have shattered Gandalf's staff. I can't believe that so many idiots on Amazon are arguing the point I made about that, even if the review was hastily written, it contained all of the information they needed to understand the hierarchy.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." (Anais Nin)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the films. My parents bought the 3 extended films and I watched them again. I think that they are brilliant, though having flaws. My respect for the story has grown.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

A friend just acquired the extended ROTK. Since I never saw it the first time round, I might borrow it. He has only good things to say about this version 8)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

New Line refreshes "LOTR" franchise for new buyers
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - There hasn't been a new "Lord of the Rings" movie in nearly three years.

But that hasn't stopped New Line Home Entertainment from preparing new DVD versions of all three films in the franchise, which generated more than $1 billion in U.S. theaters and won 17 Academy Awards.

Three "The Lord of the Rings Limited Edition" sets, one for each movie, will roll out August 29. Each two-disc set will include the original theatrical and the extended versions of the film, along with Costa Botes' feature-length documentary on each film's creation.
:-x
Trapper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Trapper »

Just belatedly adding my two cents worth on the movies. :)

I loved them. I understood that there would be changes made, for example the way "The Houses of Healing", one of my favourite chapters, was eviscerated in order to provide character development (particularly for Eowyn) earlier in the movies.

But I do remember coming out of ROTK slightly angry about two things:

1/ The weakness of Denethor, the juice running running down his chin as he feasted while Faramir and his men were sent to retake Osgiliath.

In the books he was a much stronger character, one who could meet the eye of Gandalf in a contest of wills and almost prevail.

I felt that Tolkien saw him as a man in whom the blood of Numenor ran strong, who, if not for his despair over what Sauron had shown him of the might of Mordor in the Palantir, would have been the equal of both of his sons.

That said, I very much enjoyed the direction in which that (family) storyline was taken. I first read the books when I was only eight years old, and I did not have sympathetic feelings towards Boromir at all. I thought he was weak. Now I find his death to be one of the most stirring scenes in the entire series.
I would have followed you my Brother. My Captain. My King.
:cry:

I also loved the scene with Denethor and Faramir:
If I should return... Think better of me Father.
That shall depend on the manner of your return...

2/ Eowyn's act of heroism in defeating the Witch-King was IMHO the greatest act of individual valour of the Third Age, only surpassed by Fingolfin in all of Tolkiens mythology (although I have friends who are partial to Hurin's capture).

The quiet dignity of her victory was, to my mind, treated somewhat flippantly in the pursuit of applause from female cinema patrons. Instead of a fatalistic but courageous "Eowyn, daughter of Eomund am I...", we got a defiant ass-kicking :roll: "I am no man... Hyaagh".

But overall I was happy with PJ's effort. I think Tolkien would be too.
Last edited by Trapper on Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

The movies were a conematic achievement that few could hope to equal. An achievement that actually equals, and in some respects SURPASSES the parent materials that spawned the movies...a rare achievement indeed.

After the FotR...I knew they all would kick tail. it was perfect in every way. Hell...the lack of Tom Bombadil notwithstanding...the whole movie set was perfect.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Trapper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Trapper »

Hiya Guns. I thought the lack of Tom Bombadil was one of the BEST things. :lol:

That storyline was only significant to me for the fact that Merry got his sword in the Barrow-Downs.
Glad would he who forged it long ago to know it's fate...
I agree that there are ways in which the movies surpassed the books.
Last edited by Trapper on Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Bombadil was a good literary character...but I am not sure he would have translated well to the screen. Jackson choice was a good one.

ImageImage
Trapper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Trapper »

I didn't really like him that much as a character. I thought he was an interesting vehicle for the story, in that once the Hobbits step out of the Shire they immediately need to be rescued not once but twice by a stranger.

Strider=Thrice. Then they start to realise what the outside world is like.

I'm reminded of Aragorn's contemptuous words about Butterbur "who lives half a days march from foes that would freeze his blood".
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I just rewatched the extended version trilogy. Has anyone seen the extended versions? There are some real compelling scenes that PJ omitted.

For example in the Two Towers, Faramir recalls a point in time just before Boromir leaves for the Council at Rivendell, where we learn that Boromir, too is unsettled by his Father's disdain for Faramir, and that he did not wish to go in the first place...that Faramir should have gone. What is interesting is that Boromir, feeling his Father's need, was instantly mastered by the ring, where Faramir let Frodo go. Faramir, obviously was the stronger of the two brothers despite the father's thoughts.

There are tons of greatstuff that was omittted!! TONS!

ImageImage

Return to “J.R.R. Tolkien Forum”