Text Error

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Text Error

Post by spoonchicken »

On page 540 of ROTE, the text states tht LA has never seen the Close inside Revelstone. But, she has! In WGW, she's there in response to TC walking into the Banefire, and later when she works with Nom & the First to divert Glimmersmere into the Close to extinguish the Banefire. (pg 838 of The 2nd Chrons Reprinted as one book by the SFBC.). OOPS ! The good news is, it does nothing to affect the story itself, so SRD "dodged a bullet" on that one...lol
Last edited by spoonchicken on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Who enters here, do not lose hope / Who leaves; do not rejoice / Who has not been, shall be here yet / Who has been here, shall never forget" Anonymous / discovered scratched into the wall of a cell in the KGB's Lefortovo Prison in Moscow/originally quoted in the book "Alexander Dolguns Story" (by A.Dolgun),describing the ordeals of an American citizen falsely imprisoned by the Soviet Union from 1948 to 1957.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Yeah, I spotted that, among others...

Hey, what's with the Joan/Linden text errors that seem to be intentional (I haven't read FR yet, so please no spoilers if it is indeed planned by SRD)? You know, nearer to the beginning where Joan's name or something is written instead of Linden's?
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

Dunno, I'll have to re-read, and try to find the exact text you refer to. And btw......you still haven't read FR ?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?! 8O 8O
"Who enters here, do not lose hope / Who leaves; do not rejoice / Who has not been, shall be here yet / Who has been here, shall never forget" Anonymous / discovered scratched into the wall of a cell in the KGB's Lefortovo Prison in Moscow/originally quoted in the book "Alexander Dolguns Story" (by A.Dolgun),describing the ordeals of an American citizen falsely imprisoned by the Soviet Union from 1948 to 1957.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Re: Text Error

Post by dlbpharmd »

spoonchicken wrote:On page 540 of ROTE, the text states tht LA has never seen the Close inside Revelstone. But, she has! In WGW, she's there in response to TC walking into the Banefire, and later when she works with Nom & the First to divert Glimmersmere into the Close to extinguish the Banefire. (pg 838 of The 2nd Chrons Reprinted as one book by the SFBC.). OOPS ! The good news is, it does nothing to affect the story itself, so SRD "dodged a bullet" on that one...lol
Are you certain that was the Close and not the Sacred Enclosure? These were two, separate places inside Revelstone.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

It was the Close (I screamed angrily in my head when I first read that part...couldn't forget it if I tried)...

...and yes, I just finished reading Runes last week and am waiting for my library to pull-in a copy of FR.

...sorry, but I'm very disappointed by Runes and am in no hurry to read FR, though I can't wait at the same time, lol! I think SRD's writing has vastly improved over the last thirty years but I don't like how he's using his genius in the Last Chrons so far...

As far as those Joan/Linden moments, I'll have to catalogue them when I do a reread in a couple months...
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Right on, DLB. The Close is the hall where the Lords held council. The "Sacred Enclosure" was where Vespers was held.

The Banefire was in the Sacred Enclosure, not the Close. So it may very well be that Linden had never been to the Close.

(In LFB, Atiaran says, "Sacred? I know that word, but its meaning is obscure to me." Now THAT seems like an error, if there is a "Sacred enclusure" in Revelstone.)
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Okay. I just got my copy of FR and I just finished chapter two...so far so...Runes'ish...
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote:Okay. I just got my copy of FR and I just finished chapter two...so far so...Runes'ish...
Keep reading. Things get VERY interesting after about the first 1/3 of FR. However, in spite of how "slow & plodding" the first part of FR seems, all the stuff that happens is very critical to the story.[/quote]
Unfettered One
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Unfettered One »

spoonchicken wrote:...all the stuff that happens is very critical to the story.
Understatement of the century... that's always true with SRD.
Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience. - Albert Einstein

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Re: Text Error

Post by spoonchicken »

dlbpharmd wrote:
spoonchicken wrote:On page 540 of ROTE, the text states tht LA has never seen the Close inside Revelstone. But, she has! In WGW, she's there in response to TC walking into the Banefire, and later when she works with Nom & the First to divert Glimmersmere into the Close to extinguish the Banefire. (pg 838 of The 2nd Chrons Reprinted as one book by the SFBC.). OOPS ! The good news is, it does nothing to affect the story itself, so SRD "dodged a bullet" on that one...lol
Are you certain that was the Close and not the Sacred Enclosure? These were two, separate places inside Revelstone.
No, I wasn't certain, so I re-read the First Chrons.....turns out I was wrong. The Close & The Sacred Enclosure ARE two separete places within Revelstone. I suck.
Steve Hurtloam
Ramen

Post by Steve Hurtloam »

Someone should lock this thread then! :)
:)
insect

Post by insect »

The most important "mistake" srd made was in claiming that lyndon all the sudden didn't know how to use white gold when she was more adept at it than covenant was in the last series.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Lyndon?

Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

insect wrote:The most important "mistake" srd made was in claiming that lyndon all the sudden didn't know how to use white gold when she was more adept at it than covenant was in the last series.
Really? Show me.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
insect

Post by insect »

Really? Show me.

I shouldn't have to. If you're going to deny it, you need to reread the second series.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

insect wrote: Really? Show me.

I shouldn't have to. If you're going to deny it, you need to reread the second series.
There were ten years without white gold for Lyndon in between. Back then she used it while sort of possessing TC. She never had to use it all by herself. And don't forget about Esmer. He might have played a part in her initial inability to use it.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

But you do have to. If you make a claim, back it up. Simple.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

CovenantJr wrote:

:lol:

I think insect has difficulty grasping that concept. Or . . .

Troll here, people. Nothing to see, move on. ;)
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Loremaster wrote:
CovenantJr wrote:

:lol:

I think insect has difficulty grasping that concept. Or . . .

Troll here, people. Nothing to see, move on. ;)
:lol: :lol: True. But I responded to several of his posts because sometimes it's a fun release for me to just counterpunch. I can't just thoughtlessly whack away at most of the people here...[well...I could, but then who would read my posts and respond more than once? It's my martial arts classes in words: everyone else ignores or kills the flailers, I play with them a while... ] ;)
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

I don't think anyone's opinion ought to dismissed out of hand, regardless of any less than cordial tone it may be embedded in.

I myself dislike intensely a lot of The One Tree, simply because of what I consider the unrealistic relationship betwixt Covenant and Linden at that point of the story. When she's pining for him, Covenant is bogged down in his misunderstanding of Linden's feelings, and vice versa. Then it goes back and forth and on and on. And on. Interminably.

I agree with little of what he has to say, but nonetheless I thank insect simply for stirring the pot around here. Sometimes that's what it takes to keep the gruel from sticking to the side of the cauldron.

Okay, now kill the n00b. :biggrin:
Meets or Exceeds International Humane Kill Standards.

Perpetual Motion or Until the Rubber Band Wears Out Motion

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”