Donaldson's Obscure Words - Official Thread

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

jackgiantkiller
<i>Elohim</i>

dneer

Post by jackgiantkiller »

this means to scath demean i think
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Did anyabody get unhermeneuticable ?

Hermeneutics is the study of interpretation theory, and can be either the art of interpretation, or the theory and practice of interpretation.

So unhermeneuticable may be mean that there isn't a way to get an
interpretation by any means or figuring out a way of translation of a deed, personalltities, writen words or symbols since there isn't a foundation to begin with.
(like the Rosetta stone was the foundation for reading Egyptian hieroglyphics - before that it was unhermeneuticable to people who didn't know the history or language of ancient Egypt)
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Where's that word found?
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Ur Dead wrote:Did anyabody get unhermeneuticable ?

Hermeneutics is the study of interpretation theory, and can be either the art of interpretation, or the theory and practice of interpretation.

So unhermeneuticable may be mean that there isn't a way to get an
interpretation by any means or figuring out a way of translation of a deed, personalltities, writen words or symbols since there isn't a foundation to begin with.
(like the Rosetta stone was the foundation for reading Egyptian hieroglyphics - before that it was unhermeneuticable to people who didn't know the history or language of ancient Egypt)
Have to see the context...it may be as you say, but it may only mean there's no logical/systematic means: intuition/inspiration wouldn't be barred from leading to interpretation [especially in a magic world like this one, where passion/vision/commitment mean so much].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

If you go to page 8 in this thread, you will see iQuestor's post containing a link to the author's explanation of the meaning of "unhermeneuticable".
The Eighth Ward
Servant of the Land

re the DAMD

Post by The Eighth Ward »

For those that may not be familiar with the web site Donaldson Ate My Dictionary (DAMD), here is the link: gdiproductions.net/srdamd/

I have 39 additional words to add to the DAMD, however the email address on the web site is no longer functional. If any of the moderators here know the owner of that site, please let them know.

I think my face went carbuncle ( you know, incarnadine), when I got the error message back, but I avoided a paroxysm by recognizing that I have behaved laggardly, a reality for which I am not inexculpate because it was not improvident. My hope is that the owner of DAMD is not feeling belorn and would appreciate the beneficence of any who care to contribute.

At the risk of being importunate, I must say that my sentiment towards this particular thread is uxorious. I feel that the accretion of the DAMD list is compulsory. While the climacteric for the completion of this bourne is still far ahead of us, I adjure everyone to take part with alacrity. Do not be chary, rather act with celerity. If you require a guerdon, I encourage you to consider the task an aliment, a puissant roborant, an anodyne for your soul.

If you are unable to take part, do not feel a sense of opprobrium. There is no geas on you. Perhaps my entreaty is not sufficiently mellifluous. Or maybe my vision of this hatchment is oneiric to you, or perhaps my munificence exceeds yours. More likely, however, is that my brain tends to be miasmic (perhaps my frequent insentience contributes to this fug...). My hebetude is genuine and I fear this may be immedicable.

Nevertheless, I augur that a day will come when every obscure word in the Chrons will be included in the DAMD. All of our efforts are condign, and the need is irrefragable.

For those who recognize the mansuetude (perhaps jocund is a better term) of these blandishments, I humbly accept your approbation. For those in the obverse, do you question my gravitas? Has anoxia set in yet? Or perhaps nystagmus? Well, please do not be atrabilious - avoid castigation. Contain your asperity, take a deep breath, and enjoy these additions to the obscure word list.

:Help: Please don't :rocket:

Assaying, TOT 260, as a noun, the testing of a metal or ore to determine its ingredients and quality; as a verb, to examine (something) in order to assess its nature, or determine the biochemical or immunological activity of (a sample). "But Findail watched the Lady Alif with an assaying look."

Astrolabe, TOT pg 89, noun, an instrument formerly used to make astronomical measurements, typically of the altitudes of celestial bodies, and in navigation for calculating latitude, before the development of the sextant. In its basic form (known from classical times ), it consists of a disk with the edge marked in degrees and a pivoted pointer. "Yet Honinsgrave watched them and the ship, scanned the Sea, consulted his astrolabe, studied his parchments as if he expected danger at any moment. Or, Linden thought as she looked at him closely, as if he needed to keep himself busy."

Badinage, TOT pg 388, noun, humorous or witty conversation. "Linden and Covenant joined them as if drawn there by laughter and badinage and the promise of stories."

Capricious, TOT pg 395, adj, given to sudden and unaccountable changes of mood or behavior. "Warm, capricious, and temperamental, the squalls volleyed back and forth between the horizons."

Chaffering, TOT pg 195, from the noun chaffer, to haggle about the terms of an agreement or price of something. "Eventually, even the Master's chaffering could not rouse them to hope or spirit."

Chidden, TOT pg 375, archaic past tense of the verb chide, to scold or rebuke. "Both chidden and affirmed by the fact that her daughter wore nothing but cast-off's..."

Circadian, ROTE pg 139, adj, (of biological processes) recurring naturally on a twenty-four-hour cycle , even in the absence of light fluctuations. " But she was a physician, trained to patience and imprecise solutions; the circadian rhythms of devotion."

Cockade, TOT Pg 224, noun, a rosette or knot of ribbons worn in a hat as a badge of office or party, or as part of a livery "...and at his right shoulder was pinned a silver cockade like a badge of office."

Comber, TOT pg 6, noun, a long curling sea wave; a person or machine that separates and straightens the fibers of cotton or wool. "He lolled slightly with the faint unevenness of the Sea as if he had been born with combers underfoot, salt in his beard, mastery in every glance of his cavernous eyes."

Dearth, TOT pg 12, noun, a scarcity or lack of something. "roaming without stint or dearth."

Despond, TOT pg 45, verb, become dejected and lose confidence; noun, a state of unhappiness and low spirits. "But this despond ill becomes us. By my heart, I flounder to think that so many giants may be rendered mirthless!"

Elegy, WGW pg 365, noun, poem of serious reflection, typically a lament for the dead; a piece of music in a mournful style. "The drizzle made a quiet stippling noise on the leaves and grass, a delicate elegy."

Elucidated, TOT pg 389, verb from elucidate, to make clear; explain. "High above the slow dance of the masts, stars elucidated the heavens."

Explication, TWL pg 410, noun, from the verb explicate, to analyze and develop (an idea or principle) in detail: analyze (a literary work ) in order to reveal its meaning. "As the sun rose, the gems yellowed and grew more intricate. In links and interstices, they articulated the venous life of the Flat - explication, trap, and anatomy all in one."

Flensing, ROTE pg 231, verb, slice the skin or fat from (a carcass, especially that of a whale); strip (skin or fat) from a carcass. "...and after a time the wind lost its flensing edge."

Gamboled, TWL pg 258, verb, from gambol - to run or jump about playfully. "Delirium befogged his sight; gray shapes gamboled incomprehensibly across his fever, threatening the last lucid piece of himself."

Hauteur, TOT pg 113, noun, haughtiness of manner; disdainful pride. "The Elohim's easy elegance tightened toward hauteur."

Inexpiable, TOT 364, adj, from the verb expiate, which is to atone for (guilt or sin): as an adjective to describe some act or emotion that can be atoned for. So inexpiable would refer, in this case, to something that cannot be atoned for. "The judgment of the Haruchai hung over her as if her crimes were inexpiable."

Infarction, TOT pg 465, noun, the obstruction of the blood supply to an organ or region of tissue, typically by a thrombus or embolus, causing local death of the tissue. "Such damage was as sudden as an infarction."

Innurturance, TOT 375, noun, from nurturance, which is the emotional and physical nourishment and care given to someone. Innurturance is the lack thereof. "She ate is if sheer physical hunger were the symbol and demonstration of her spiritual aggrievement, her soul's innurturance."

Interpolation, WGW pg 397, verb, insert (something) between fixed points: See note at insert (words) in a book or other text, especially in order to give a false impression as to its date; make such insertions in (a book or text); interject (a remark) in a conversation. " 'It is certain.' Findail’s unexpected interpolation sent a strange shiver down Linden's spine."

Loquacious, TWL 472, adj, tending to talk a great deal; talkative. "So Covenant turned to the Giants, to Pitchwife, who was as loquacious as the First was stern."

Mimesis, TOT pg 228, noun, a limitation, in particular representation or imitation of the real world in art and literature; the deliberate imitation of the behavior of one group of people by another as a factor in social change; another term for mimicry. "With a bow like an ironic mimesis of courtesy, he moved away toward the wheel deck."

Obverse, TOT pg 5, noun, the side of a coin or medal bearing the head or principal design; the design or inscription on this side; the opposite or counterpart of a fact or truth. "But she had not kept that vow. The obverse of her sharp vulnerability was a peculiar and necessary usefulness."

Occulted, TOT pg 44, from the noun occult meaning supernatural, mystical etcetera. Adjective; 1 of, involving, or relating to supernatural, mystical, or magical powers or phenomena: a follower of occult practices similar to voodoo; beyond the range of ordinary knowledge or experience; mysterious: a weird occult sensation of having experienced the identical situation before; communicated only to the initiated; esoteric: the typically occult language of the time. 2 Medicine (of a disease or process) not accompanied by readily discernible signs or symptoms (of blood) abnormally present, e.g., in feces, but detectable only chemically or microscopically. Verb, cut off from view by interposing something: Astronomy (of a celestial body) conceal (an apparently smaller body) from view by passing or being in front of it. "...'Then we must master it with understanding. What manner of power is it? What has transpired in his mind, that he is driven to such defense? What need is occulted in him? Chosen.' Again his hands tightened, half lifting her to her feet. 'How may we appeal to him, so that he will permit our aid?' "

Palliation, TWL pg 470, noun, from the verb palliate, to make (a disease or its symptoms) less severe or unpleasant without removing the cause: allay or moderate (fears or suspicions): disguise the seriousness or gravity of (an offense). "And Linden gazed into the sunrise as if the autumn offered her palliation for her personal distress."

Paucity, TOT pg 328, noun, the presence of something only in small or insufficient quantities or amounts; scarcity. "Even now, years later, his heart cried out against the harm he had done to the Land, to the people of the Land - against the paucity with which he had finally served them."

Pellucid, TOT pg 96, adj, translucently clear: lucid in style or meaning; easily understood; (of music or other sound) clear and pure in tone. "Linden found herself breathing the pellucid and crackling scents of autumn as if her lungs were eager for the odd way in which the atmosphere here tasted telic, deliberate..."

Puerile, WGW pg 439, childishly silly and trivial. " 'Thomas Covenant' - he took an avid step forward - 'the spectacle of your puerile strivings gives me glee to repay long patience, for your defeat has ever been as certain as my will.' "

Remonstrate, verb, TOT pg 113, make a forcefully reproachful protest: "She gathered herself to remonstrate. But Cail preceded her. The Chosen is in my care..."

Remonstrations, TWL pg 446, see remonstrate. " 'Don't you understand?' Covenant could not find sufficient force for his remonstration. 'Everything I touch turns to blood. All I do is kill.' "

Reticular, TWL pg 409, noun, a fine network or netlike structure; having a honeycombed structure. "Pale jewels, rosy and tenuous, spread across the bottom of the shadow, winking together to form reticular lines, intaglios, like a map of the vanished night. Or a snare."

Sieved, TWL pg 282, verb, to put (a food substance or other material) through a sieve, which is a utensil consisting of a wire or plastic mesh held in a frame, used for straining solids from liquids, for separating coarser from finer particles, or for reducing soft solids to a pulp. "Every piece of rock in the area which had ever stood upright had been sieved into ruin."

Thermocline, ROTE pg 335, noun, a steep temperature gradient in a body of water such as a lake, marked by a layer above and below which the water is at different temperatures. "But then the horses sank below some unseen boundary layer like a thermocline, and the cold began to dissipate."

Uxorious, TOT 244, adj, having or showing an excessive or submissive fondness for one's wife. "Linden Avery, I am uxorious, and my wife is sadly ill. Therefore I care for our child."

Vasty, TOT pg 12, adj, archaic (?) for an immense space. "We are the ocean's guest, and we love the vasty world!"

Venous, TWL pg 409, adj, of or relating to a vein or the veins; of or relating to the dark red, oxygen-poor blood in the veins and pulmonary artery. "As the sun rose, the gems yellowed and grew more intricate. In links and interstices, they articulated the venous life of the Flat - explication, trap, and anatomy all in one."

Vituperation, TOT pg 177, noun, bitter and abusive language. "The first time she had ever seen him, he had thrown open the door of his house like a hurling of vituperation, the fire and fever of his eyes barely restrained..."

Volubility, TOT pg 96, noun, the quality of talking fluently, readily, or incessantly; talkativeness. "Even Pitchwife's native volubility was rapt in the concentration of the ship."
Last edited by The Eighth Ward on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I used to be The Seventh Ward - Those who knew me had no need of my name.
aynze
Servant of the Land

Post by aynze »

This is great, how satisfying to read that most of my assumptions about the meaning of these words were correct, and that I am not alone in my insecurity.

Now where can I get the hard copy to keep by my side for future books?
Liz :)
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Our beloved roynish was the word of the day on OED online the other day:

www.oed.com/view/Entry/166932
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Verily, I am ever apt to be limerent and uxorious, conceiving my exigent devoir to be irrefragable.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Am not!
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Say what???? :confused:

:)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
centuryhouse
Servant of the Land

Post by centuryhouse »

Haha, love it! :lol:

I'm glad to see this - I love his words choice in these books!
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

I love SRD's use of big latinate and greek words. One of the few joys, for me, reading the last Chrons was SRD's ability to still surprise me with a new word even after nine books. My favourite so far in the new books is 'fuligin', which means the colour that is darker than black. Excellent!

I also came across a word today that I thought would suit SRD perfectly, but I'm fairly sure that he hasn't used yet. The word is 'mithridate', which is an antidote to a poison. Maybe he's saving it for TLD :lol:

u.
pkfridley
Stonedownor

Post by pkfridley »

I'm sorry if this has been discussed (I just joined KW yesterday!) but "geas" is THE word that I most associate with verbal obscurity in the Chronicles.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geis
(this entry recognizes "geas" as an acceptable variation)
"Once bread becomes toast, it can never go back." -- Ajax Duckman
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

pkfridley wrote:I'm sorry if this has been discussed (I just joined KW yesterday!) but "geas" is THE word that I most associate with verbal obscurity in the Chronicles.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geis
(this entry recognizes "geas" as an acceptable variation)
I used to find it weird that geas was obscure to so many people...then I realized not everyone grew up with gaelic family stories/background and/or fantasy/role playing stuff.

But here's a funny thing I found a while ago and forgot to link [go there, and scroll down to see the example quote]:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/geas
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Wow I lasts edited that opening post in 2003 LOL

I suck.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
gratefulheart
Servant of the Land

Post by gratefulheart »

Ah, landwaster, as a fellow logophile this is such a welcome post. I must admit, I am usally caught up in the excitement of the story and just figure out what the heck SRD is trying to say by using the context...lazy, i know.

Thanks again ~

Gratefulheart
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Landwaster, I wanted to add my thanks for this wonderful vocabulary thread you started a decade ago. I think it's a great service for an SRD fan. You rock! :rockband:
Innominate Theurgist
Stonedownor

Post by Innominate Theurgist »

This IS a benison of a thread! Most condign, indeed.

Just looking at my screen name should tell you which two of SRD's words made the most lasting impression with me, although 'roynish' held that crown for years.
Innominate Theurgist
Stonedownor

Post by Innominate Theurgist »

Strike 'crown' from that last post. Insert 'coronet'. More in keeping with the erudition divulged herein.

:biggrin:

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”