Aesir: Rules & Comments

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Syl wrote:I didn't know she was a kid (I swear, officer). My forest has a strict 'no unaccompanied minors' policy. And while Odin did say she was a 'young, blind girl' I didn't think he meant 'a child.' Considering she just showed up in Ganan's room while he was sleeping...

Besides, I just said it was like that. I didn't put those words into the character's mouth. :mrgreen:
Mmm...

Lliannon Aine's reveal makes it pretty clear that Ari'Cri is quite young, but an exact age is not given. We have now been on Narie five years; she could be as old as 15 or 16, perhaps...

However, if what the Leandreas are being told is how it happened, Ari'Cri travelled via Dreams. She may have aged herself as she appeared in Ganan's dream. Maybe?
Erd
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Erd »

Damn it, Menolly. I was just giving Syl a hard time. Now you had to go turning it into an actual theory of a pre-adolescent child pretending to be grown up to sexually interest people through virtual interaction.

Side note: could Dreams be the Narie version of the Interwebs? We apparently already have the cyber-stalkers going, thanks to Menolly. We might as well get advertising and Amazon out of it, too.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Then feel free to leave my characters out of you giving another player a hard time, if you please.

...and thank you.
Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Han-shan »

As you all know, I'm ending Aesir. It's just too much for me. It would be absolutely nothing for Xar, and likely Syl, Goat, and others. But this being my first time, I didn't know how to manage certain things, didn't know that I would need to do this and that, made a couple of mistakes, yadda yadda. My sincere apologies to those who are upset that their characters will be gone. I know how they can grow on us. Heh. OTOH, it's a game, all in fun, and you can make other characters to grow on you. :D

So, starting very soon, we will have Vanir! I'll start a thread right now for Rules and Comments. The first post will be blank, and I'll fill it in as it gets ironed out.

In the meantime, most of the Aesir threads are locked. I'm going to have a Background thread for Vanir, and I don't want anything anybody posts to mess with what I have in mind. But feel free to post in the few that are not locked. They won't get in my way.
I climb the road to Cold Mountain,
The road to Cold Mountain that never ends.
- Han-shan

We dance round in a ring and suppose,
But the Secret sits in the middle and knows.
- Robert Frost

Today was a good day. - Ice Cube
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

It's all good. I'll miss Velt, but I really like the beginnings of games best. My only problem is that I don't know what domain I'll take, much less have a character in mind. There's one I've been keeping in mind for p4, but I'm not sure if I want to use that one. Think I'll go with a skyfather of some type, but a chthonic deity appeals to me, too. Decisions, decisions.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Han-shan »

Well, I'll be gone until Monday night. Might not be on for anything serious until Tuesday. But I'm on vacation next week, so I'll be able to hash a lot of stuff out. I don't expect you all (whoever you all end up being!) to be ready to go even by the end of that week, but start working out your ideas and Revelations.

And I'm very, very grateful to all of you who've played so far! It's been fun helping with the growth of a world. I've gotten a lot of really great enthusiasm so far, and it's been very much appreciated.
- Han-shan

- Robert Frost

Mynaesos
Woodhelvennin

Post by Mynaesos »

Eh. Easy enough (I love this stuff).
“Borders are scratched across the hearts of men
by strangers with a calm, judicial pen,
and when the borders bleed we watch with dread
the lines of ink along the map turn red.”
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

So, throw up a map, and I'm ready.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Cobalt
Ramen

Post by Cobalt »

Ready.
“A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty; but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both.”
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Hey, check out Odin, finally using announcements and stickies. Already, we're driving him to improve himself. Maybe this Venir stuff isn't so bad after all.
The Illuminati
Servant of the Land

Post by The Illuminati »

The Illuminati, Master of Magic, is ready.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I can't help giggling, since the citizens of my Nation The Illumined in both the Facebook game, Nations, and the original browser game, NationStates, are called Illuminati.
Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Han-shan »

OK, there's no Aesir being discussed here, which makes a certain amount of sense. So I'm closing shop here.

So long, and thanks for all the fishes.
- Han-shan

- Robert Frost

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

So, in the interest of sharing:

I had no idea what I was doing or where I was going with things, so I just spent every turn moving the roaming band of converting followers around and giving power to a small group of warriors to defend my people. That's it. The entirety of Nergal's actions, right there.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I guess I can say this much. Velt was only the second character of mine to have any kind of goal in mind, and only the first to ever achieve it. When the game ended, I was pretty much already done (the debacle with Ari'Cree being the result of having nothing better to do). My only regret is that there was never any kind of major inciting incident to prove how badass Velt actually was. Simjen's always been lucky in that regard.

Hmm. Since everybody already knows the story, more or less, I can also post this.
Velt wrote:This turn, I will manifest in my Forest.

I will appear directly in the grove that holds the tallest tree near the forest's heart, within walking distance of Hartton. There I will sit and meditate, joining myself to the forest. I see everything through its eyes, feel the sun on what remains of the canopy and upon the bared branches below as if it was upon my own hair and skin. Reaching into the forest's private mind, I feel its dread of the approaching winter, and I see it, see winter, not as a time of year or as changes in the forest, but as a nameless, faceless god. It marches upon the verge like an uninvited guest stepping over the threshold.

Feeling the distaste my forest feels for this being as my own, I would not tolerate this intrusion. Combining my will with that of my woods, I forbade it purchase within my territory. No trunk or limb or leaf would let his cold presence pass the verge. The creature fancied itself as implacable, but it could not stand against one like me. In my woods, in my time, in my name, I am king in this domain. The faceless god may find his amusement elsewhere.

[redacted]

There are some creatures of my woods who pay fealty to this god. No longer. I mean them no animosity, but these creatures may either turn their fealty to me, for which I will help them find a place in the now winterless woods, or follow Winter into other lands. He will return here no more while I rule.
Odin wrote:Winter is a force that can be matched by few others. Every year, for countless millennia, it has engulfed the section of Narie with which you are familiar, which is not the whole of that part of the world. And it takes other parts of Narie at other times. Stopping a primal force is, to ridiculously understate the situation, a daunting task.

But you have factors working in your favor. You are only attempting this in your forest. And "your" forest is quite accurate. You have done much work there. You have... [redacted].

All of these things help you now. And you have great success! It is impossible to succeed completely, forever, this first time. Perhaps if you had thrice your strength... But for now, your forest sees no more than a few scattered flurries of snow here and there. Never enough to blanket the ground. The still waters only get the thinnest of coatings of ice, only for a week at the deepest time of the season, and running waters get only that at their edges.

You will need to reinforce this over the next couple of winters. But, since you will doubtless be strengthening the forest as a whole in various way, less power will be needed each winter.
Of course, this came back to haunt me a couple turns later.
Odin wrote:Godling. You presume much for one so young. Your power here is great, in its way. Great enough, in fact, to have awoken me! I would not have taken note of these new "gods" on Narie if one of your power had not taken it upon himself to deny me! But you did.

And I am angry. How dare you take it upon yourself to subvert a primal progression! How dare you, even for a moment, forbid me my place in the cycle! Now, you pay the price!

Suddenly, a blizzard strikes the very center of the forest! It is more powerful than any blizzard ever before seen in the forest. It is fortunate that the blizzard is very small, only a few square miles. Also fortunate that you have done so much to strengthen and unify the forest. [redacted].

After a week, the blizzard ends as apruptly as it began. And, though most of it thaws naturally, the very heart of the ice, a circle of some dozen trees, remains frozen solid. It does not appear to be thawing, despite it being the height of summer. (Truly, this would not have occurred to me. You did it. Lol. You made Winter into a nameless, faceless god by declaring it to be one. Kinda funny, no? )
So I made nice with Winter and got the following response:
Aaaahhhhh.... Yes, things become clearer. Long lost names...

What place is this? It does not feel like earth! Yet how can this be??

Very well. I will relinquinsh the ice from these trees. But they retain my mark, so that we may communicate here. I will look elsewhere for a home in this new world.

You have solidified the order of the forest more surely than ever before. It has long been filled with your power. A unified whole quite unlike anything ever seen. [Except for Shakari, of course. ;) ] Now it will be more temperate throughout the entire year.
And that's all you get!
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*shakes head*

That answers much that Mimir tried to show Leaf.
Thanks!!!

Odin actually did a fabulous job of portraying that with a nature spirit which had no words to communicate. I think I got the gist of it when first shown it, but as usual jumped to further conclusions than was "told."
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

On the one hand, that's good stuff, Syl.

On the other hand, it totally makes clear some stuff that I've run into in Vanir. Which pretty much shoots down my whole statement that there would be NO impact to sharing Aesir details now. But, if I'm going to be proven wrong, at least it was with a really cool bit of storytelling. So I guess I don't mind TOO much.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Goatkiller666 wrote:On the one hand, that's good stuff, Syl.

On the other hand, it totally makes clear some stuff that I've run into in Vanir. Which pretty much shoots down my whole statement that there would be NO impact to sharing Aesir details now. But, if I'm going to be proven wrong, at least it was with a really cool bit of storytelling. So I guess I don't mind TOO much.
Well, as I said about when Leaf was shown what Syl described by her prophet, I jumped to conclusions which Odin did his best to dispel. But I'll admit between what we were told by Syl and what the latest W&E post says, I am making wild guesses again as to if and how they could be related.

However, all that is neither here nor there, as Leaf has not ventured very far out of the forest...yet. I'll assume other than having been given some history via visualization, that none of this will come in to play for Leaf, unless the grove at the heart of the forest should see a wintry visitor again at some point.

...I must admit, I had mentioned a grove at the heart of the forest throughout my play, and yet, had no real reason in game to do so other than my own desire to be drawn there. Fascinating.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

So, in Erd's case, there was nothing I did that I didn't then put into a public post. So the "history" isn't really dangerous to share. But I had some really cool ideas going on into the future that I never got to implement. Variations of these ideas may come up with other deity games later, if they fit my other characters. We'll see.

The first bit that I'm really proud of, though I don't think it was especially clear, was that Jove and Erd merged their faiths. Odin was keeping a separate count of our followers still, but her priests would teach people about Erd, Erd's priests would teach people about Jove. My guys tended to spread out faster, so this meant a lot of villages on Troon knew of Jove by the time Jove's actual priests showed up. But it was a good partnership for all of us.

The first course of action was to build a presence on Ayana and Mekoth. Since there were already gods there, and all the cities were more or less faithful to others, I wasn't going to mission the place up for converts. That's where the golems came in. It was really pricey, but I could just form a single person (later, more at a time) from pure energy, out of stone. They were just regular people, but I could put them ANYWHERE. And, being living stone, they were functionally immortal. We saw one of those on Mekoth in a public post, but I had already plotted out making a couple more, then a few more, and eventually several more every turn. I was targetting all of the little islands that nobody had bothered to colonize, then later the cities of Nergal's followers, since Nergal was gone by then.

I wasn't really going for conquest, but I liked the idea of having at least a couple geomancers in every city on every map, just to be helping people out. No political agenda, just that it could only benefit people everywhere for the roads to be better, the cliffs to be stable, and underground living to be available (especially in the harsher mountain areas). They'd have been entirely available to their local governments, though... since all of Erd's followers were also Jove's followers... they'd likely have charged a decent wage for their help.

I only ever created three golems before the game ended, the first one of which never really got to share Erd or Jove with anybody, since he was busy flying from Mekoth to Ayana to help fight Nergal

Syl, how would Velt and his people taken to geomancers, I wonder? I didn't expect much complaint from anybody else, but Erd's idea of "helping" people tended to run in a very "urban growth" kind of way, and I always wondered if that would be a problem in Velt's forest. I was prepared to keep my guys out of those cities, if he'd asked.

All of the little island people would eventually be making those giant stone boats as well, and soon there would be huge fleets of monster stone vessels plying trade across the seas. Once again, a good partnership of Erd and Jove, furthering both of our goals.

My big plan, one that I didn't think I could even start for at least two years of game time, and one that wouldn't finish for an even longer time was: the flying mountain.

I figured I'd be pouring all my power into the thing for a really long time. (That's part of why I wanted to get geomancers spread out to all the cities first, so they could use their powers while I had none left to spare the world for a while.) Eventually, I'd create a massive golem, the size of a mountain, and the shape of a mountain. I'd make this being into a prophet, and enhance him with all the geomancer powers too. And then I'd have to spend a LOT of power making him able to fly.

The long-term goal was to be sort of a floating UN, and I'd already worked out some things with a few other gods, so they could have people up there too. Transportation to / from the mountain was never really worked out. Nor how to feed the number of people I assumed would be up there. I figured there'd be one or two full villages, and maybe enough pasture land for self-sufficient farms or livestock. Lots and lots of logistics to work out, for sure. But it was going to be GLORIOUS indeed.

I'd been pestering Odin since I started the game about various iterations of an intercontinental tunnel system. Never quite worked it out. There'd be no way to get breathable air through a tunnel that went between the continents. If there were a LOT of golems, maybe they could move goods back and forth, but the ships were my replacement idea to that. I played with having a volcano on each side, with a geomancer who would keep the vent gasses pent up and then periodically release them in a big burst that would somehow push (and yet safely) a container of people through the tunnel (very like a huge bullet with people inside it) all the way through. The amount of time it would take to build that was insane, and I needed to start from both sides to do it, but I'd only just barely gotten off Troon when the game ended, so that mostly went nowhere.

I'd sort of thought about slowly changing all of my followers into dwarves. Maybe spend power on their tunnel residences, so that over time all the inhabitants would take the strength of stone into themselves... getting smaller, tougher, etc. It was low priority, though.
Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Han-shan »

Well, at least I got one turn submission... :lol:
- Han-shan

- Robert Frost

Return to “Aesir & Vanir”