Darkwood--The first shadow.....

Moderator: Seven Words

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

After having regained a little strength, Beauregard straightens himself to a stand. Allowing the tall folk to chat about the presnet, the past and what may be, he begins to wander to the buildings in search of what may be found...
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Jauron wrote:He treated with holy reverence a small packet...
Note to self: keep an eye out for this, and be careful when touching it. It could be what was in the packet that we found in the leadership hut, too. That would mean we have two of them.
Jauron wrote:Also, the shaman spoke of a great awakening, a power returning.... They also made mention of soon to be getting more people....even some "darklings", though I know not what a "darkling" is. They did say that they would be coming out of the DarkWood."
"Skyseeker, do you know what that means? If they're coming from the DarkWood, and dealing with an awakening. Is whatever horror that caused your people to abuse mine returning? I can't help but think that your supposedly 'buried forever' ruins rising up, just when there's talk of an awakening in the Darkwood, can bode only ill for those who live near it."

Led looks to the armory's door, where Beauregard walked in a few moments prior. "Perhaps we should be in there guarding him. This could be more dangerous than some orcs and a traiterous human."
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

The elf's brow furrows, as she casts deep into her recollections of the tales told in her earliest years...

"The oldest stories tell that the prince did not create the evil power...he reached out to it..something indescribably vile, long banished. He sought to break the barriers holding it away from the world. That is why not merely mystic but divine wardings were necessary to hold the Darkness to the once-fair Golden Wood. "

She whirls about, looking to the entrance where Beauregard recently went...."If the Root Hall of the Aether Web is intact...if the Web was corrupted and fell, but was not riven utterly...."

She runs off, javelin in hand, a look of fear on her face....
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led runs after her as well, grabbing the potions that were found on the dead orcs recently. "I'll hand these out to people once we get a chance to think," he thinks, trying hard no to imagine what horrible things could have befallen his new halfling friend.
Geek the mage, first.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Seeing the elf and shifter running towards the armory after the halfling, the female human heaves herself to her feet and makes a brief bow to the caravan leader. "Your pardon, master Jauron. I know not what concerns those two, but perhaps I should follow after as a second wave..."

Restringing her short bow after having settled it upon her back before climbing down from the roof, she nocks a regular arrow and cautiously follows after into the armory.
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
Let the sound take you away...
~
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Marrik and Darak join the general migration into the building. Jauron and the cleric stand ready outside, he with a shortbow, the Shield wiht his warhammer.
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus shrugs as all the others run off, and heads after them, making sure he is ready to blast anything that looks dangerous.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Heading inside, around the corner, you see.....

Beauregard, inspecting some sealed doors, looking back at your clamorous arrival.

Skyseeker visibly relaxes,a s she sees the doors are closed, the plaque in place....However, as more details of the door are noticed, she pales...and faints.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

What now? the bard wonders to herself. Making her way over to Skyseeker, she verifies she is alright and makes her comfortable until she comes around.
...strand to nowhere, nowhere back, never found...
...she reads off of the plaque, making note of the missing materials from the binding seal described which should be in place.

"Beauregard...
Can you tell what should be here on this seal that isn't?" she asks the halfling rogue. "And in what manner they would have been applied?"
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

beauregard looks back over his shoulder at the human bard, his brow furrowed in a slightly worried fashion.
"The plaque is written in elvish. Perhaps someone could read this first. And the seal exists all around the door. There is something -- or somethigs inside there that someone does not want out.
"Anyone know what it could be?..."
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

As Marrik works to bring Skyseeker around, Darak is scowling at the door, examining it. "There were adamantine in these runes. Aye, and iron, gold, bronze about this gate as well. There be some o' the oldest marks of Valkhan's protection I see 'mongst yon scrawls. Ach, they be older than all but the eldest tales o' me folk. Whate'er her folk sought to lock behind here, they maun meant to lock it away for good. But look....tis like the other metals hae been leached away..."

Skyseeker wakes, looks,and shudders visibly.....muttering briefly to herself, "Must I tell all the secrets of my folk this week?", she explains what lies beyond the door..."the Root Hall of the Aether Web. It connected all of our places, long ago. A wondrous magic...spoken words, materials, people could simply step upon the stone, sing the words of the Lay of Long Ways, and be taken to anywhere else upon the Web. It was tainted in teh war...rendered more and more often impassable...as the unreliability grew, I am told it was determined that the fabric of the magics of the Web itself were rotting away. IT was though it had failed utterly. But prudence was decided upon, and so when the Wood was warded in, all Halls of the Web Root were sealed also, lest that provide an exit which the great working did not bar. But clearly, the evil within the heart of the woods has worked these many years to find purchase beyond the wards. Does any magic even linger within this?" as she turns inquisitive eyes upon Vynarkus.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

The bard nods as the dwarf confirms what she herself had been able to make out of the obscure writing...

"Do you feel any magic emanating from this plaque?" she also asks Vynarkus.
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

whew, this was beyond Beauregard. Dare he say 'over his head'... ah but that would be a bad human joke.
Feeling the heaviness of moment and the importance of what is locked away, Beauregard glances at Skyseeker as she finishes her telling and steps away...
"If you need me," he comments to those present as he meanders to away, "I shall be outside on the lookout."

If no one asks anything of him, Beauregard will climb up the best 'look-out tree'.
:)
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus glances around at everyone depending on him for the first time since leaving his village and smiles briefly, then stares intently at the doors and the surrounding area.

[ooc]Spot and Search checks to try to see what everyone else has, and Detect Magic at the same time.[/ooc]
Seven Words wrote:very, very, VERY faint magic still lingers in the seal...but clinging TO it, is intensive necromancy...attacking it.
[oopc]...Not sure how to say this in character, besides precisely as Seven put it...[/ooc]
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Intense Necromancy???
What little do I know of necromancy?

Rummaging through the found scrolls she still held, Laurel drew one forth. Her brow creased as she considered...
...do I dare waste this, not knowing if it will help or not? Or if I am even able to cast it?

Shaking her head and putting doubt aside, the bard first calls upon her own skills. Reaching out with her fingertips towards the mithril plaque, a soft glow begins to emanate from it (Light), if not helping to disrupt the attack by necromancy upon the seal at least shedding more light with which she could read the scroll. When the plaque glows brightly, she holds a scroll in front of her and reads the words for one of the Cure Moderate Wounds spells inscribed there, focusing the positive energy of the spell against the necromantic attack against the seal.

[ooc]...no idea what, if anything, either of these will do, or if trying to chase off the necromancy is of any benefit, it's just a hunch that hit...if it is a waste of a CMW spell (if I can even manage to trigger it), my apologies...[/ooc]
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

As the healing energy suffuses the plaque......

a horrifically familiar sight is revealed!

That deadly fungus, seen upon the messenger to Waymeet, virtually explodes across the plaque.....a faint, ethereal tearing sound is audible.....and the doors part, perhaps a half an inch....

......silence reigns.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

MArrik had just started to speak words of praise for your idea....when the growth occurred.

He and DArak leap back, weapons at the ready....

Skyseeker gasps, "Darkness Beyond Death", and hoists a javelin for any threat that may come through...

....but nothing does....

...silence reigns...
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

The bard leaps back in terror, paling as the thought, What harm did I just do??? suffices her being...
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

The fungus melts away, just as the growth on the messengers body did, once it's task was finished.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led, having kept quiet since entering the building [ooc] Sorry, I actually took the weekend off including Monday, so I was avoiding the computer a lot. [/ooc] also keeps a weary eye on the doorway, and looks for anything coming through it.
Geek the mage, first.

Return to “D&D-Darkwood”