Darkwood--The first shadow.....

Moderator: Seven Words

Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Darkwood--The first shadow.....

Post by Seven Words »

Another day is winding to a close at the Winding Way, the only Inn in Waymeet. Townsfolk sit around, the fire popping, listlessly placing orders with the barmaid, Ellys. Listlessness was the rule whenever the feuding moon came on the Heshic tribes, shutting down the caravan routes. Much talk is about the missing caravan. It should have arrived today at the latest, just ahead of the fastest possible Heshic warbands best speed. The Guardsmen taking their ease here this evening are somewhat smugly self-satisfied about this, as the master of the caravan has always been hugely successful, yet committed the apparent sin of being a half-elf.
Last edited by Seven Words on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

A series of rough coughs may divert one's attention to the area of the common room where a table near the bar is ... seated there is what initially looks like a small boy, a little wane of complextion. As he wipes his mouth from the coughing fit that took him for a moment, and dabs his forehead, it becomes apparent that he is not human. Hm, likely one of the 'little folk' or 'halflings' as some call them. Dark circles surround his eyes, and his medium length hair is a little disheveled. He shares a few friendly words with Ellys after ordering a small meal, and can be seen returning his attention back to a sheet of paper flattened out upon a thin board for support. With a piece of conte, the halfling continues his sketch, his head bobbing up and down as he takes in various areas of the common room.
A dark look occassionally flits over in the direction of the Guardsmen.

[ooc] my apologies ... but for some reason I thought halflings had slightly pointed ears... I guess it's a holdover from my 2nd E days ... so ignore that aspect of the portrait... :biggrin: [/ooc]
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

As the sun sets ever lower in the sky, the auburn-headed human female exchanges banter and jokes with Ellys and Ecevin, as she had the past few evenings since arriving in Waymeet. Tonight's talk of the missing caravan held her rapt; such was a very rare occurrence in the rolling farmlands of her home, and was just the sort of thing that only encouraged her fernweh, setting her feet on a path away from home. In between breaks in the banter, while Ellys or Ecevin would be off seeing to the satisfaction of one customer or another, Laurel would turn her brown wide-eyed gaze upon those gathering in the commons room, looking and listening for an overheard word here and there, in order to determine if Waymeet will offer up more to keep her there, or if perhaps in the morning it was time to venture forth to ever more distant lands.

[spot and listen checks around the room please]
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
Let the sound take you away...
~
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

A tall human, nigh upon six feet tall, steps in. He is wearing an elaborately worked suit of Banded mail and it bears upon the chest the Rising Sun of Missaryi. His piercing blue eyes scan the room quickly, before he walks to the bar, and quietly places his order. His shield looks to have at one time born a crest of some sort, but it has been thoroughly masked.

ooc--knowledge--ROyalty/Nobility to try and place this--

He mutters a brief prayer, and slightly lifts his mug, before quaffing a full half of it. He has an expectant air about him. One of the Guardsmen mutters darkly, "Blood be upon it....gods-touched folk mean trouble" The senior one says, "Lorekeeper spoken". After a quarter of an hour or so, as dusk is just passing into true evening, there's some manner of commotion at the Eastern gate. Faint cries are audible, someone--or something--is badly wounded, and is not being let in until someone in charge can arrive. The tall newcomer quickly heads out the door, and can be heard to say, "May the Light guide me"
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

<Knowledge roll does not yield anything (9)>

What was it they said about that cat and curiosity?... meh ... Beauregard barely gave it any thought before he shrugged and put away his sketching implements. Sliding himself off the chair, he leaves a few extra coins on the table for Ellys, and takes the apple core he had finished a little while ago. Adjusting his gear, Beauregard heads out to follow the tall, armoured human, but on the way past one of the more vocal Guardsman, he deftly slips the core into his pocket or hood <Sleight of Hand = 23>, and continues out with a little haste after the long stride of the human.

"This shoud be interesting," he mutters to himself...
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Laurel eyes the small commotion caused by the cries outdoors with a hint of interest. She enjoyed conversing with Ellys and Ecevinn and listening to what was spoken in the common room of The Winding Way. But other than talk of the missing caravan, not much had reached her ears the past few nights.

You'll not see nor hear anything new if you stay on your duff, girlfriend, she thinks to herself. With a flourish of a wave towards Ellys, she slides off her stool and follows those who went to see what the cries were about.
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

At the East gate, atop the wall, the Guards are arguing with that man bearing Missaryi’s sigil. “Sir Pval’s orders, that gate don’t open after dark for anybody not under his arms.” A figure is visible, crumpled in the dirt of the road, a small riding pony nearby showing evidence it had carried this poor soul here. The lather and foam on the pony, as well as the blood smears from the fallen rider show it ahs been a long, hard run to get here. “And look at that saddle, that’s Jauron Swiftstar’s mark…..that damn mix always messes with uncanny things when his caravans trade with the Heshics, even things from the Dark Wood. He probably bought something cursed, and demons killed them….Come daylight, we’ll go ask him what sort of trouble he went and stirred up.” This is said with an air of finality, and the senior Guard from the tavern looks at once smugly satisfied that this man is saying all the apparent right things…yet also some lingering apprehension is evident in his glances at the prostrate figure, who is moving weakly.

“I am Marrik Ovanwen, and I say the Lady of Light will NOT countenance this!” as he storms down, and demands the people milling around open the gate…his impressive air and commanding presence yield quick compliance, despite the dire consequences voiced by the Guards about unnatural creatures coming to finish the job and swarming into the town.. As he steps into the gateway, he turns and asks, “Who here has the courage to follow the Light into the dark?”. He turns and walks out, not waiting to see who, if anyone, follows his lead. He goes to the badly wounded man, and lays his hands upon him, invoking Missaryi's blessing. Some of his wounds close, and he visibly improves some, though still gravely wounded. A deep woudn through one shoulder is infected, some loathsome looking fungus spilling forth from it, and he is feverish. He looks at Marrik, and gasps out.."ambush....yesterday...not Hesh.." He spasms briefly, and dies. The fungus rapidly turns a brilliant red, then fades to grey and liquifies.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Without a second thought to the superstitions of the villagers, Laurel follows Ovanwen out the gate and crouches on the other side of the body. Shuddering slightly, she points at the shoulder where the fungus turns red and watches in horror as it liquifies. Nodding at Ovanwen, she introduces herself, "I am Laurel of Ventarii, traveling in search of..."

She shrugged.

"...in search of the new, the different, the noble deeds among the common folk, the unexpected.

"How may I assist you in seeing this poor soul to rights? Perhaps a note of his passing could be sent to his clan?"

Avoiding the fungus, she starts searching the man and pony for some more identification other than Swiftstar's mark, in hopes of finding a name or location to send notification of his passing.

[Spot, Search and Spellcraft (on the fungus for Spellcraft?) checks please]
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

The sight of the injured man tugged at him, but it was the utter distasteful disregard for the suffering man from the guards which urged him to follow the tall, commanding human out. Giving a sidelong glnace to the moman who introduced herself as Laurel, he smiles, thankful he is not the only one making a fool of himself.
As the gravely injured man expires in gruesome fashion, despite the prayer administered to him, the halfling is very careful to keep his distance. He didn't need to 'fight' anythign else right now. That darn cold lasted a month! And he suddenly bursts in to a brief coughing fit...

To Marrik Ovanwen the halfling says, "Courage and compassion is absent from most here"--he directs an obvious stern glance at the guardsmen--"So, good sir, allow a humble halfling to assist in this matter."
Observing the checks the woman was doing, turns to Marrik and asks, Know you this place where this poor fellow and his caravan were travelling from? It may be beneficial to find out if a similar fate awaits other unsuspecting caravans or travellers..."
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Marrik replies, "I do not know this man. However, I gather from what the Guards said, he is with the last caravan from the Heshic lands ahead of the feud-season, the traders group run and owned by the half-elf they so vilify. If he survived, others may as well. I feel it is incumbent upon us to see if there are others we may succor more effectively. Also, his words, that the Heshic did not do this, disturbs me. Though not, of course, so much as that fungus did. If you look within the wound, you can see that the weapon which carried that corruption into him lay within it yet....a small dart, made of Ironwood if I miss not my guess."

The Guard come out now, bearing oil..they quickly douse the body in it, using enough fluid to create a puddle some five feet across.

"If you've words to say, say them" grunts the senior Guard as he takes the deceased's mount in tow.

Marrik quickly utters a prayer for Missaryi to light the way to Tar-Anatha's throne. scarcely does he finish before the body is set aflame. A rather rich-looking townman followed the Guard out.

"I am Lonnes Trevos, the local factor for Jauron Swiftstar. He was himself with the caravan that is missing. I will pay you each three hundred Great Blades if you rescue him.....Fifty if you return with his body. We must know what happened."

The senior guard eyes you as Lonnes finishes saying this, and says, "Haring off or not, you got too close to that infection. We'll not have you bring that within our walls. Sir Pval can have a cleric come and cleanse you lot in the morning. You're not coming back in tonight"
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

The halfling continues to keep his distance from the fallen man, but listens to Marrik, nodding at his words and observation. The halfling silently muses the benefits and the pains of travel at this time and wonders about leaving the comfy inn.

The bruskness of the guards colours his opinion, and he takes out a coin, tosses it in the air and catches it his hand free hand, still resting much of his weight upon the long spear he carries.
A rather rich-looking townman followed the Guard out.
"I am Lonnes Trevos, the local factor for Jauron Swiftstar. He was himself with the caravan that is missing. I will pay you each three hundred Great Blades if you rescue him.....Fifty if you return with his body. We must know what happened."
'Fifty great blades!' .... whew, that as something to serious mull about.
And as the corpse goes up in flame, the pale halfling looks down at his closed hand...
The senior guard eyes you as Lonnes finishes saying this, and says, "Haring off or not, you got too close to that infection. We'll not have you bring that within our walls. Sir Pval can have a cleric come and cleanse you lot in the morning. You're not coming back in tonight"
Suddenly the coin did not matter as fate nudged him of Her own accord. Putting the coin back in a pouch, the halfling looks over at Lonnes and then up at Marrik, and extending his hand introduces himself, "Beauregard. I think you have a companion. Unless you do not care for non-humans..."
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

I care not what manner of folk one is, but rather I concern myself with their actions. To declare enmity based solely on differences is foolish, yet I admit it seems to be the norm amongst my countrymen. Well met, good sir." a brief pause for a small, yet elaborate bow to the bard, "And well met to you as well, my lady"

"As we'll not be allowed to return to the town tonight, and I do not trust our safety under the "watchful" eye of the Guardsmen, perhaps we might make a start on retracing the route this poor unfortunate took to get here?"

As he finishes saying this, Marrik heads off along the road, the blood spattered every fifteen feet or so making the trail impossible to miss in the light of the full moons.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

There is some disturbance back at the gate, which is not yet closed as the cremation squad is still re-entering town. The barmaid, Ellys, is approaching, shouting...She is leading Laurel's pony..."Wait! don't you need him?" she pushes her way to near the gate, but is restrained. Hardy, however, simply pushes between the guards and ambles on out into the road.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

I care not what manner of folk one is, but rather I concern myself with their actions. To declare enmity based solely on differences is foolish, yet I admit it seems to be the norm amongst my countrymen.
Beauregard smiles in earnest at this and bows to Marrik.

Upon seeing Ellys' "delivery" of the pony, the halfling smiles again. Well, it might not be so bad after all away from the comforts of the city ... and scowling at the guardsmen once again, he figures another day and he would have done something nasty to one of them ...

Turning his smile to Laurel, he nods a 'hello' and nodding in the direction of Marrik, says, "Best we amble after he of the noble heart and long stride..."
And with that, Beauregard quickens his pace to catch up to the man.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Lifting her voice so it carries over the dispersing crowd, Laurel lilts out to Ellys, "My sincere thanks! I shall sing praises of The Winding Way whenever the opportunity arises," she finishes with a deep bow over one leg extended in front of her. Straightening then grasping Hardy's lead, she chirrups at him and sets off after the human and halfling. You wanted to see the world, girlfriend, she thinks to herself. Looks like you're on your way to seeing a small part of it anyway...
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

As you continue along, night upon two hours since you left Waymeet’s walls, you hear a shout in a female voice of “Ware! An ambush!” from off to the north a ways, near the huge stump of a long-fallen tree. Several small figures burst from behind cover just off the road, while a pair of much larger figures step out from behind a tree off to the south of the road, these two nocking longbows in the moonlight.

/ooc—I rolled spot checks, nobody made it, but the warning negates any surprise on either part….Laurel is posting the map for me, I’ll edit it to include what things represent what.

Initiative order

Beauregard
Marrik
Mystery NPC
6 red dots
Laurel
2 purple dots
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Beauregard takes the opportunity to dash to the nearest cover of bushes on the south side, drawing a handful of darts from behind on his belt as he does so (wishing to keep as much cover between himself and the two bowmen as possible!). The halfling is extremely swift despite his rather gaunt appearance.
He will then take view of what occurs next and not take an action until next round...
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Marrik heads directly at the oncoming creatures seeking to close, longsword flashing beside his shield. He swings his blade, cutting deep into the northernmost one..it screams, dropping its weapon and crumpling to the ground.

The mystery woman glides gracefully forward, then abruptly her right hadn flicks out, and a throwing axe describes a graceful silver arc towards one of the charging creatures. a brief flicker in the moonlight and then a THUNK as it sinks home in the unwitting creatures back. It collapses, kicking briefly int the dirt, then lays still.

The charging mob appears to have no order, but are simply seeking to close. Three of them encircled Marrik, but he reduced their number by one already. They use their short spears to stab at the well-armored man to no effect. The two charging at the bard have become one lone charger due to well-thrown axe.

The longbow armed figures both unleash arrows at the bold paladin, one missing, one finding his mark despite the heavy armor.

-ooc note--next round benefits of Laurel's Bardic Music will be a factor in attacks et al.
Last edited by Seven Words on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Tugging on Hardy's lead with her shortbow in her other hand, Laurel quickly moves to cover behind the tree/bush 20' to the northeast. While doing so, she breaks into song, hoping to inspire those with her...
Try to be best
‘Cause you’re only a man
And a man’s gotta learn to take it

Try to believe
Though the going gets rough
That you gotta hang tough to make it

History repeats itself
Try and you’ll succeed

Never doubt that you’re the one
And you can have your dreams!

You’re the best!
Around!
Nothing’s gonna ever keep you down
You’re the Best!
Around!
You’re the Best!
Around!
Nothing’s gonna ever keep you dow-ow-ow-ow-own

Fight ‘til the end
Cause your life will depend
On the strength that you have inside you

Ah you gotta be proud
starin’ out in the cloud
When the odds in the game defy you

Try your best to win them all
and one day time will tell
when you’re the one that’s standing there
you’ll reach the final bell!

You’re the best!
Around!
You’re the Best!
Around!
You’re the Best!
Around!
Nothing’s gonna ever keep you dow-ow-ow-ho-how-ho-own

You’re the best!
Around!
You’re the Best!
Around!
You’re the Best!
Around!
Nothing’s gonna ever keep you dow-ow-ow-ow-own

Fight ‘til you drop
never stop
can’t give up
Til you reach the top (FIGHT!)
you’re the best in town (FIGHT!)
Listen to that sound
A little bit of all you got
Can never bring you down

You’re the best!
Around!
You’re the Best!
Around!
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Few catch a glimpse of Beauregard's hunched form in the cover of the bushes as he flits his attention about. The orcs with the bows? Or await the persuing kobolds?... his pale face is wet with sweat .. one wonders if he is terribly frightened or if the disease that a killed the traveller has affected the halfling.
Time slows for him and he awaits the perfect moment...
<PM to DM...>

Then, mustering a little courage, he slips around the bush as quietly as he can, attempting to keep the kobold out of sight as well, and strikes out at the orc with his spear...

Return to “D&D-Darkwood”