Darkwood--The first shadow.....

Moderator: Seven Words

Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Skyseeker gestures at where the fungus had been, now merely a stain upon the floor..."Stories of that are used to frighten children by older siblings. The Darkness Beyond Death...it slays, and worse...from it's death, only the greatest of Tar-Anatha's clerics can possibly bring one back. And further....somehow, it either consumes the very soul, or sends it beyond the reach of She Who Waits For All, sometimes. Even if unraiseable, spells either arcane or divine for contacting the dead could sometimes reach the fallen..but only sometimes. It's touch means not always death...but once it...infests...death is near-certain. Several powerful magics were needed to purge this contagion. But once it....decomposes...it is perfectly safe", which she demonstrates, by touching the stain.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led takes a step backwards.

"Can you detect it before it gets on you? Or defend against it to make sure it doesn't take root?"
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Marrik says, "I could detect its evil. I realize, though, that that is not a great help."

SKyseeker looks thoughtful..."Anything which would aid on in resisting poisons or diseases would help. And.....* brow furrowing in deep recollection * a swift application of holy water was also helpful, though not a guarantee"
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Eyes wide with fear, Led blurts out, much faster than he normally speaks, "I would feel better if our cleric friend outside happened to have some holy water with him. I think I'll go ask him." He then runs out the door to find the cleric.
Geek the mage, first.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

The bard closes her eyes and recalls something said before entering the building...
Juaron Swiftstar wrote:"Also, the shaman spoke of a great awakening, a power returning. He treated with holy reverence a small packet...he carefully dipped a dart in it that he launched at Tarre, who escaped the ambush. He laughed once he saw it strike flesh, saying he'd die in torment. "
Opening her eyes, she asks Skyseeker, "Is it known how one is infected by this fungus, or does the contagion suddenly appear? There is the pouch of powder we found among the potions. Perhaps Marrik could try to see if this powder is evil in and of itself?

"Or," as she meekly lowers her voice, "I could take the time to sing a Song of Knowledge over it (Identify) to try to determine its properties? If the fungus is the result of a weapon dipped in this powder used upon one, perhaps there are more mundane things we can do to prevent being infected as well..."

[ooc]...sorry for stealing your style of play, Renard...[/ooc]
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
Let the sound take you away...
~
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

"Bearing in mind what friend Jauron has said, and the stories told....the spores of this fungus, seem to be the powder in the packet mentioned..as what we found. It is wholly unnatural, being created by unspecified dark rites upon the most profane altars. It is versatile....it can be used for several purposes..most common is the death, or worse, of living beings. It's very essence is evil, corruptive, as shown by it's breaching of the seal."
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus shakes his head in disgust. "But, even with all of that, it should only be resistant to normal healing, not grow on it! Do you have explanation for that?"
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

"Master Swiftstar did say he saw this powder applied to a dart. Is it known if the spores need to penetrate the skin to become active? Or is simply coming in contact with these spores enough to contract the contagion?"

Turning towards the warlock, the bard nodded.
"Good point. Why did it suddenly grow the way it did with the infusion of positive energy from the cure spell?"
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Marrik chimes in..."It is a living thing, albeit magically created. The seal was harming the fungus, being antithetical. the healing energy bolstered the livelihood of the fungus, enabling it to overcome the damage being done by the magics of the seal, I would imagine. And of the contagion of the fungus....I would imagine that the method of contact determines the likelihood of infection."

Skyseeker nods, "Some folk were cnosumed by mere contact, albeit very few....the weakest, and infirm. And some of the doughtiest survived contaminated wounds."
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

While Charrus, the Shield, does not have any Holy water on him, he does have Bless Water. Which he promptly uses on a full waterskin without pressing for an explanation. However, the vigilance outside has dramatically decreased with the lack of sounds of combat.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

"Thank you, father. I hope we won't need this, but I'll feel much better all the same just having it."

Led takes the waterskin and jogs back inside the building to find the party.
Geek the mage, first.
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus looks towards the door and a distant look appears on his face as he attempts to see magic in the room beyond.

Then he steps back with a look of shock on his face.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

"Valkhan ward us......it's still there, isn't it?" gasps Skyseeker, in a horrified whisper as she sees Vynarkus reaction, "The Web....." she trails off.

Marrik focuses his attention beyond the doors. "I sense no evil within."

Jauron Swiftstar walks up at this point...he has a scroll in his hands. "Charrus has healed that last orc, we're starting to question him" He quickly raises on hand in a placatory gesture to Marrik, "merely asking, not putting to the question"
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus looks over at Skyseeker. "I can't think of anything else this could be. The entire room appears to be a single block of magic, and I can't make out any of the normal schools."
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

"There were warning signs that there was something coming on the Strands...lights, and sounds...it is still taught to our children, part of the Lays of the Lost Lores.....We could start the song, see if the Web responds." says Skyseeker.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

"The Lays of the Lost Lore?" Laurel breathed, turning towards the elf, eyes alight in wonder and with yearning to learn of new-to-her elven music. "I have never heard of such a composition. Please, will you sing just a few bars of the lay which teaches of The Web? Surely there would be no harm in that. I must hear this..."
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Skyseeker wrote:"We could start the song, see if the Web responds."
"I don't think I want the Web responding. Something tells me that would be like walking up to the home of this rising dark power, and beating your sword against your shield."
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Darak says, "Ach, I mislike leaving such an unknown behind us. P'raps, we rest this night, let folk regain their spells, and tomorrow we have a wee bit o' singing at this magic room"

Marrik agrees, adding, "We also should keep a watch on this, should anything attempt to sneak out and upon us. Perhaps Beauregard might contrive some manner of traps to slow and hurt such foes?"
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

The bard looked long at the Heshic scribe. She had merely wanted to hear an unknown lay, and in her excitement of learning of such had not given consideration to the effects the song sung here could have.

But Darak spoke her inner heart; if not what little wisdom her head was screaming at her, fully in agreement with Led. She had left her home Ree far to the south in search of adventure. What more than a room full of magic could she have been searching for?

"I like the suggestions of both Darak and Marrik, should Skyseeker and Beauregard both be agreeable to such.

"I mean...

"...at least let us have Beareugard set what he can, and then let us all sleep on this decision. We can then discuss it more in the light of day," she said in an attempt to ease the concerns of the scribe..."

If the halfling agrees to setting traps against the door, and the others to setting camp and mulling over options for the night, the bard turns to Vynarkus and asks, "We seem to have learned of all the magical items we found through their use in battle, except for the cloak which you have claimed. Would you care for me to sit for an hour or so, and attempt to learn more about it through my Song of Knowledge? It will take a good hour or so, but I am willing to try."
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

If asked, Beauregard would be willing to set up some sort of 'alarm' system to warn...
"I can also set up something along the path to hear, perhaps ... give us a little longer warning..."
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~

Return to “D&D-Darkwood”