Darkwood--The first shadow.....

Moderator: Seven Words

Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus nods at what Led says. "It makes sense, but if both the paladin and the cleric are going to leave, I would like to make a suggestion. It may indeed be true that there are no threats to us on the way, but if there are, I can use divine scrolls that have healing spells on them. Therefore, if you are both going to leave, I'd like to have as many of those scrolls with us as possible."
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Marrik explains, "I am, regrettably, the only person here who Sir Pval might listen too..and even that is no sure thing. The Shield here is "overly familiar" with elves and elven bloods, and so deemed untrustworthy." a sweep of the arm encompasses Darak, Jauron, and Skyseeker, with raised eyebrows as if to say, "and these people"...."Laurel, your magics also make you unreliable to him. Led, your differences are not readily apparent, but your Heshic heritage is, and so you'd be deemed a witless savage and ignored. Associating with you would render me ore than slightly dubious, save, of course, the fact that I AM a paladin of Missaryi and thus my sworn word is beyond reproach. I would suggest we use the relay-to-rearguard strategy. the rearmost person should be mounted, as should the next. If the forces you espy look to eb within our capabilities" he gestures to include eveyrone elft ehre "to fight, then upon gaining some distance, sound the call a second time, to signify such? Elsewise, we assume it is beyond us, and simply run for Waymeet. "
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

"So, you're suggesting that we two ahorse should pace behind the group to warn of attack? Or just stand guard by the magical room and pass warning of it's use back to you?"
Geek the mage, first.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Laurel listens, then says, "Although Led is by far the better rider, perhaps I should be the rearmost. I can nock an arrow, then whistle, shoot if I must, and then flee back towards the party. I am assuming we are to pace behind, yet spaced enough apart to hear the relay whistle."

The bard looks towards the scribe. "Is this agreeable to you?"
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
Let the sound take you away...
~
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

"Gracious bard, I appreciate the thought. But the rearmost is there only to observe and report... then escape until the rest of the group can arrive. Or, if the danger is too great, simply escape. An arrow would do little good, but the ability to gallop a horse as fast as it will go, over potentially dangerous ground is essential."
Geek the mage, first.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

The bard lowered her head in acquiescence. Led's reasoning was logical: he was by far the better rider and he was correct ~ arrows would do little good alone.

...and yet, it felt too much like home and being restricted on what she could do, simply because of her gender. But she shoved that sentiment aside for the good of the group.

"Fair enough," she replied, accepting her place in the line up. "Could you demonstrate the construction of the whistles now, so we could craft a few for the relay?"
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Seeing Laurel's look of consternation, Led adds "Belive me, this is no act of chivalry or bravery. I plan on running like a coward from anything that approaches me. I just think that I can be a better coward in this situation than the rest."

Led then shows her the Spirit Voice.

Led then takes some flat pieces of wood (assume there's some reasonable cut boards about the place) and starts to smooth the edges. He takes some lengths of rope and attaches them to one end of the boards.

[ooc] Guess there's a craft roll here so that's a straight INT role for me, lacking the craft (woodworking) skill. [/ooc]

"These are pretty crude, but they should hopefully do the trick. You use it by hanging the board by the rope like this. Then give the board a spin as it's hanging there, and while it's still spinning start to twirl the whole thing around your head. As it goes through the air, it gives off a noise that can be heard for miles. You can change the tone by spinning it faster or slower, and changing the angle of spin. But for our purposes, just getting it to call out is enough."

"With my people, this is used for long distance communication, but also as a musical instrument. You can always tell when there's a party going on, because you can here these all across the plains."
Last edited by Led Pighp on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Jauron elaborates.."Led, for instance, would stay within eyeshot of this building. Everyone else would head off. Near the edge of range to hear the Spirit Voice, Laurel would stop...and so on, and so on. We will catch up to the caravan before too long. Individuals will stop and wait each time we reach the range of the last Voice. Once all of us have dropped off from the wagons, we call BACK along the relay...and then everyone comes forward and we pace the wagons from however far back we are, as a rear guard."
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

'Ah, then I'll need to make several of these."

Led spends a few minutes making several more devices [craft checks all around], distributes them to everyone, and then hurries them on their way.

"Lord Marrik, we shouldn't tarry here much longer, I fear. We endanger more than just these men if we don't get a response from Sir Pavl soon. You'd better hurry."
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

As LEd stays behind to watch for any emergences, everyone else walks off, Voices in hand.

After something more than a mile, it's the bard's turn, with her mount, to maximize speed on the initial, most important leg.

Next is Skyseeker

Then Vynarkus

Followed by Darak

Then Jauron

And the Shield

then Beauregard

And finally, Marrik.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led gives the signal that things are not okay at the portal room, then gets on his horse and starts riding towards Waymeet and the rest of the party.
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

After several hours, suddenly, the otherworldly sound of the Voice rings out from behind! Everyone rushes..those East of halfway running West, those closer to the caravan running East..everyone meets up....
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led rides up to Laurel, a kobold prisoner tied helplessly to his saddle. As he pulls up beside her, he says "Nothing is following me, but I heard that voice from the portal. It sounds like our song is holding for now... he couldn't open the portal to come through. But he threatened to send someone across the land, and he said that in two or three days, he'd be able to get past your song and open the portal again. We don't have the time to wait for the rest of the prisoners to get to Waymeet... Marrik must talk to Sir Pavl now, and get back to the portal with enough troups to hold it."

As Led and Laurel continue on to the party [ooc] sorry to assume you'll come with me, trying to get the party back together so everyone isn't waiting on us [/ooc], he repeats all this to the rest of them.

"Marrik, as I was leaving the building, I saw the two kobolds sneaking back in. One of them is dead, and the other one is here. Hopefully he will be helpful when questioned. And hopefully he will survive long enough to answer."
Geek the mage, first.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

"The voice's exact words were:"
Creepy Voice from the Portal wrote:"Korrg, it does not matter how you did that. It took all of my sacrifices to manage to open it even this wide. And it's fighting to close off again. I'm casting a Sending to The BrainSmasher. He'll send the Savage to track you down and undo this. Run if you wish....you'll only bleed for it longer. One of the DarkenLords is coming to unravel this. if the Savage doesn't get you, in a two days, perhaps three, I'll have this open and come for you myself. I can't continue with large sacrifices for these fleeting moments of access."
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

the kobold immediately starts shrieking, expounding, at length, divulging all the information he has."I talk! I talk! BrainSmasher, Big Boss, big big magic hammer, angry angry angry.....swing hammer, three times and ugly short hairy-face man swing axe one time! DarkenLord, not know..never heard ...sound big big bad...Savage, he mighty hunter..animal man...part cat..big big cat *attempt at roar* and part man. say from south of horse man, east of elfses"
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Skyseeker blanches at the title,"DarkenLord"....."Valkhan ward us....There were SURVIVORS!" she nearly screams. "His lieutenants....the DarkenLords....oh no...no..no...no" she seems on the edge of utter panic.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

"milady," the bard tries to calm the elf. "If you could tell Marrik what has you in such a panic so he could explain to Sir Pval..."
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

SKyseeker manages to say, "The Dark War...the fallen one...his lieutenants..powerful, evil...spellcasters, killers, warriors....his Chosen were called DarkenLords...Always thought....last sacrifice took all out....but that title...the Web....we...we..WE DIDN'T FINISH THEM....They are STILL THERE...they must have been waiting.....gathering strength....dear gods..the horrors of old...unleashed..."

Marrik agrees he must go now. "Friend Led, I'll take the horse you're offering, and return with all aid as soon as possible. May you ever walk in Her Light"
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led tosses the kobold onto the ground, then dismounts himself and helps Marrik mount.

"Do you want to bring this with you?" he asks, nudging the kobold in the ribs.
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

"Yes, his weight will nto slow me overmuch" as he scoops up the creeture, slams it across his saddle, and takes off.

Return to “D&D-Darkwood”