Darkwood--The first shadow.....

Moderator: Seven Words

Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus looks at Beauregard as he says he promised to let the kobold go, and a flash of anger crosses his face, making him look temporarily dangerous before he manages to suppress it.

He asks in a voice that is trembling slightly, "Perhaps you could tell me what you learned from this thing that is worth keeping it alive?"
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Watching the dangerous changes in Vynakrus, Beauragard cannot help but feel nervous. But he does not back down.

"Certainly," he acknowledges with a nod. "It seems a handful of orcs and a whole bunch of kobolds were sent by their orc leader to attack Jauron's caravan as a reprisal for causing the leader problems previously. They had orders to destroy most of the caravan, but capture Jauron and a few of the other 'important' ones." Beauregard coughs a little, takes another swig from the waterskin, then continues. "Most of the orc's forces were sent on this raid, leaving few back in their lair. The others are returning with the prisoners and this lot,"--he indicates with a sweeping motion of the recent dead--"were ordered to track down and kill the one that got away.
"The kobold has given a fairly good description of where the lair is. I think we may be able to follow these directions, maybe with a littel help from anyone who may have a bit of tracking skill."

Beauregard straightens himself up a bit from his tired slouch enough to face Vynakrus, almost protectively in front of the kobold. Does this satisfy, pale-mage?"
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus nods. "Its fine. I suppose I should not be too eager to kill even monsters and criminals.

"However, we should still attempt to make sure it does not give warning. It should be fine if it heads in the opposite direction from the ruins.

"...My name is Vynarkus, by the way, and I apologize for not introducing myself sooner."
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Beauregard bows. "Nice to meet you, Vynarkus. I am Beauregard Everill.
"I do understand your desire to make sure a creature does not bring harm to others, however I also despise the idea of attacking a smaller or weaker being, nor one that surrenders. Yes, you are right, weaponless we can set the kobold loose."

Beauragard once again converses with the kobold in a language that may not be familiar to some. After saying his piece, and securing that the kobold has no weapons, he gives the kobold its release.

To Marrik he says, "We must follow the road east, then once we get to the ambush sight, we go north. We should be looking out for a particular decent sized hill." Then gesturing to the road ahead, says, Shall we?"

He stops short and from a pouch dumps out some coins and to each person in turn, gives out a portion of them. "These were found on the two orcs. I bid you take a share."

<to each person, he gives 18 lesser blades (silver) and 4 greater blades (gold)>

There is also a gold ring of modest value with an engraving, 'Loyalty gleams a gold'. I know not if it is magic. Perhaps you, Vynarkus, can detect it. If not now, then later. But, if no one objects, I can hold on to it for now."
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

gibbering in ecstatic relief, the kobold heads directly south, as fast as it's stubby legs can carry it, shedding what passes for its armor on the way, its weapons long since dropped in abject terror
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus watches it go, then turns back to Beauregard.

"I am not yet proficient at seeing magic, although I have tried and believe I am making some progress. Keep the ring if you wish."

He addresses himself next to the paladin and the elven lady. "I can understand your distrust of one such as myself, yet I would help you, and I would like to have you look on me as trustworthy, and not merely someone you need for his power. Would you care to talk?"

[ooc]Assuming the paladin and elf are willing, Vynarkus spends the full minute neccessary to make a Diplomacy check.
...I would have put in something about him taking his share of money before heading aside to talk, but... Well, I have not yet had the currency explained to me, and do not want to accidentally take more or less than my share.[/ooc]
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

[ooc] if it is any help, it could be noted that Beauregard handed out the same amount of coin t everyone -- although, i guess it could also be noted that it may have not been noticed what he kept for himself. <shrug> [/ooc]
:)
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Skyseeker quickly finds the trail of the would-be ambushers as well as the slightly older trail of the man who died before Waymeet's walls. She moves quickly, surely, very much at ease here in the wilds.

that night's camp is uneventful

Late the following afternoon, some faint scents are carried to you on the wind...wood smoke..and burned meat...and sickly sweet smell of rot.

The road makes a fairly sharp swerve ahead, obscured from your sight by a small mounded ridge covered in scrub brush and trees.

*ooc---picture it..the road turns from East to NE to NNE, then quickly swings around that small ridge (10-14' high, but covered in growth) and resumes a generally Easterly heading.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

watching Marrik's reaction, Beauregard will hastily, but with a healthy dose of caution, make his way up the mound and peer over the crest to see what is to be seen (although he has a sickly idea ...)
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Although the halfling seems to use his spear as a walking stick like an elderly man, he moves with an elegant caution. Peering over the crest of the hill he spies what is below, and using the spear to stand erect, his body slouches as what he sees confirms his fears. Looking back down the hill at the others, there is a sad and dangerous look on his face.
"It's the caravan," he confirms softly, and begins his slow descent down the other side of the hill, stifling a series of coughs.
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

[ooc]I don't really want to do this, but we need to move the game along...[/ooc]

Vynarkus looks at Beauregard steadily, then slowly climbs the hill to see for himself.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Standing next to Skyseeker <one square north> Beauregard scans the devestation is a sad, but critical eye...

<DM PM>
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Looking at Skyseeker, then nodding, Beauregard heads down the hill looking for the source of the noise heard. He is tentative of danger, but determined in case it is a survivor.
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

[ooc]What noise heard?[/ooc]

Vynarkus watches Beau. head down the hill, and, suppressing his own distaste, moves after him at a distance that still allows him to attack anyone who comes close enough to enter melee with Beau.

[ooc]Sorry for abbreviating Beauregard's name, but I need to have something shorter and easier to remember.[/ooc]
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

The young maid, having traveled the road next to her healer, stayed by his side as they rounded the curve...
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
Let the sound take you away...
~
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Whatever had made the noises which Skyseeker and Beauregard had heard, has ceased. The stench of the carrion is growing incredibly stronger as you approach.

Before anyone takes more than a few steps, Marrik calls out, "HOLD! I sense evil ahead...several...things....."

With a growling roar, several forms burst out from hiding amidst the ruination...they look human..but their skin is a sickly grey, and they have long yellow nails, and mouths full of ripping fangs, also a diseased looking yellow, carrying the stench of death upon them. Some even have gobbets of the rotting flesh they had been feasting upon dangling from their mouths.

"Ghouls!" Marrik gives a name to your loathsome opponents.

Initiative order to follow in an edit

Marrik

Beauregard

Skyseeker

Laurel

ghouls

Vynarkus
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Beauregard is not immediately wanting to interrupt the ghoul's feast upon the dead. Instead, he slips a couple of darts our from a fold in in cloak and prepares to attack if they shold decide fresher meat is on the menu...
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Marrik's sword already in hand, he dashes forward, placing himself as much in the center of the ghouls advance as possible.

Skyseeker moves forward as well, but not so far, an axe already in hand, and curses on her tongue.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Seeing the others prepare for battle, and that the ghouls had looked up and noticed them, once more Laurel breaks forth in song, hoping to inspire her comrades to take heart and fight well.
So many times, it happens too fast
You change your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive
As she sings, she draws her shortbow, notches an arrow, and waits for the range of a target to be more in her favor.
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
Let the sound take you away...
~
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

[ooc]I'm last, so I'm going to want to see the updated positions before deciding exactly how he will move, but...[/ooc]

Vynarkus attempts to keep as many enemies in range as possible while staying out of melee range, using Eldritch Blast on whichever one seems to pose the greatest danger to himself or the party as a whole.

Return to “D&D-Darkwood”