Which title do you like better?

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Which title for the third book in The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant do you prefer?

Shall Pass Utterly
36%
Against All Things Ending
45%
The Death of Linden Avery
16%
Other
2%

Total votes: 55

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

How does Scott Brick pronounce it in his readings of The Last Chronicles? He verified pronunciation with SRD, right?
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

sindatur wrote:
Malik23 wrote: But surely it's not, "Maw Doubt," is it?
That's how I read it.
I read it as "Mad Doubt"
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

at first I did just like it's spelled Mah (rhymes with AH) doubt (rhymes with doubt) Then I drifted into schwah sound, Iamb accent: muh DOUBT
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Vraith wrote:at first I did just like it's spelled Mah (rhymes with AH) doubt (rhymes with doubt) Then I drifted into schwah sound, Iamb accent: muh DOUBT
Ditto.

Maw-Doubt must be a hillbillie thing.

:flees:
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

wayfriend wrote:
Vraith wrote:at first I did just like it's spelled Mah (rhymes with AH) doubt (rhymes with doubt) Then I drifted into schwah sound, Iamb accent: muh DOUBT
Ditto.

Maw Doubt makes sense, if you consider a Maw being a mouth (IE: Doubting what she says)
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

Did I forget to mention, that the Harrow has the hots for Jeremiah? eeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww P.S.: I greatly prefer "AATE" as a title. "Shall Pass Utterly" sounds a little too vague & "mystical". AATE is a much more "hard-hitting" and hopefully accurate sounding title. I like it! A lot !
"Who enters here, do not lose hope / Who leaves; do not rejoice / Who has not been, shall be here yet / Who has been here, shall never forget" Anonymous / discovered scratched into the wall of a cell in the KGB's Lefortovo Prison in Moscow/originally quoted in the book "Alexander Dolguns Story" (by A.Dolgun),describing the ordeals of an American citizen falsely imprisoned by the Soviet Union from 1948 to 1957.
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

"Ring around the Ur-Lord / careful with the Seventh Ward / Arches, arches, it will fall down!"......................sigh.......I gotta get back to work full-time; I clearly have too much time on my hands LOL
"Who enters here, do not lose hope / Who leaves; do not rejoice / Who has not been, shall be here yet / Who has been here, shall never forget" Anonymous / discovered scratched into the wall of a cell in the KGB's Lefortovo Prison in Moscow/originally quoted in the book "Alexander Dolguns Story" (by A.Dolgun),describing the ordeals of an American citizen falsely imprisoned by the Soviet Union from 1948 to 1957.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

The Harrow is gay? Now that's something that never occurred to me! :biggrin:
fall far and well Pilots!
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

sindatur wrote:
wayfriend wrote:
Ditto.

Maw Doubt makes sense, if you consider a Maw being a mouth (IE: Doubting what she says)
I won't consider maw as a possibility until someone posts words spelled AH that sound AW.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I always managed to get an 'h' sound in there, somehow... so kinda like mayH(little stress on h, letting air out)-doubt... at least we all know how to say the last part of her name :D
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

I wonder if you say it like, Lah-mbus Bread.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Vraith wrote:
sindatur wrote:
wayfriend wrote: Ditto.

I won't consider maw as a possibility until someone posts words spelled AH that sound AW.
Maybe the word, "ah?" :biggrin:

Yeah, I thought it sounded hillbillie, too. As in, "Ma and Pa Doubt."

I just couldn't think of any other way to say it. It's one of the worst names in the Chrons in my redneck (not hillbillie--that's farther south) opinion.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Malik23 wrote:
Vraith wrote:
sindatur wrote: Maw Doubt makes sense, if you consider a Maw being a mouth (IE: Doubting what she says)
Maybe the word, "ah?" :biggrin:

Yeah, I thought it sounded hillbillie, too. As in, "Ma and Pa Doubt."

I just couldn't think of any other way to say it. It's one of the worst names in the Chrons in my redneck (not hillbillie--that's farther south) opinion.
hmmm....I'm not laughing at you, I'm just laughing near you...but now I don't know how to spell it...is it HAH HAH HAH or HAW HAW HAW? 8O
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

Orlion wrote:I always managed to get an 'h' sound in there, somehow... so kinda like mayH(little stress on h, letting air out)-doubt... at least we all know how to say the last part of her name :D
Not so much. :)
I've been pronouncing it as muh-DOOT.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

[quote="Vraith"]Damn funny, Spoonchicken (but is it a fictionalization of your autobiography, since you are obviously terrified of spooning? Or are you a chicken shaped like a spoon? Or do we need to spoon you because you are forkable, but we want to get every drop?...worst of all, are these all jokes other people have already made?)
LOL...No. those are originals to you !!! :biggrin:
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

Lord Fouls Spoon / The Illearth Spoon / The Chicken That Preserves / The Wounded Spoon / The One Spoon / White Spoon Wielder / The Spoons of the Earth / Spoony Revenant / Against All Things Spooning / The Last Spoon
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Auleliel wrote:
Orlion wrote:I always managed to get an 'h' sound in there, somehow... so kinda like mayH(little stress on h, letting air out)-doubt... at least we all know how to say the last part of her name :D
Muh-doot! lol!

Hows bout Moo-dobt?
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

jacob Raver, sinTempter wrote:
Auleliel wrote:
Muh-doot! lol!

hmm...muh-doot might be reasonable, if by chance one was Canadian. If not...well...lets just leave it at that.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

spoonchicken wrote:Lord Fouls Spoon / The Illearth Spoon / The Chicken That Preserves / The Wounded Spoon / The One Spoon / White Spoon Wielder / The Spoons of the Earth / Spoony Revenant / Against All Things Spooning / The Last Spoon
:lol:

I think it's funnier when you put in chicken instead of spoon.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Ur Dead wrote:
spoonchicken wrote:Lord Fouls Spoon / The Illearth Spoon / The Chicken That Preserves / The Wounded Spoon / The One Spoon / White Spoon Wielder / The Spoons of the Earth / Spoony Revenant / Against All Things Spooning / The Last Spoon
:lol:

I think it's funnier when you put in chicken instead of spoon.
I must agree.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”