Fatal Revenant Part 2 Chapter 11 - The Essence of the Land

ROTE, FR, AATE, TLD

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

Damelon
Lord

Fatal Revenant Part 2 Chapter 11 - The Essence of the Land

Post by Damelon »

Part Two - Chapter 11 - The Essence of the Land

After the tumult of the conflict on the Tor, the party needs healing. Where better to heal than Andelain!

They hurried in an effort to reach that place, protected as it was now by the reawakened might of the krill. In Salva Gildenbourne were still Kastenessen and the skurj, and they would still try to act before the party could get out of reach.

And there was still Longwrath’s madness to consider. Initally, they carried him, unconscious, with them. Longwrath escaped from the party, but realizing that he did not have his sword, left to return to the Tor to retrieve it. His anxiousness to get it back, greater than his desire to do harm to Linden.

Initially, the thicket of Salva Glidenbourne impeded progress. But, gradually, by degrees, the the constricted forest began to lighten. Crossing the boundary into Andelain was, like always in the Chronicles, a joyful experience:
As one, the Giants slowed their steps. As if in reverence, they set aside their haste, assumed a more condign gravitas. When they left the last fringes of Salva Gildenbourne and crossed into Andelain, they did so as if they were entering a place of worship. Here was the Land’s untrammeled bounty, as essential as blood, and as profound as orogeny. And they were Giants: instinctively they reveled in largesse.
And the others:
Joyfully, Bhapa and Pahni threw themselves prostrate on the lush grass, doing homage to Andelain and escape. Mahrtiir knelt with his head bowed to the earth as if he were praying. Liand flung his arms wide and spun in circles, crowing with delight. “Andelain?” he cired. “Oh, Linden! This is Andelain? I could not have believed - !”
But Linden also thought of Anele, and that what Andelain was also home to would be a cause for fear for him. When she came to him, he spoke, but in the voice of his long dead mother, Hollian, giving words of doubt, but also reassurance. In asking Linden to take care of Anele, Hollian says through him, in the centerpiece quote of the chapter:
...”His vision of his parents are too lofty. He torments himself for faults which are not his. When your (Linden’s) deeds have come to doom, as they must, remember that he is the hope of the Land.”

“This also, the Despiser and all who serve him cannot imagine.”
With that, Anele turned and went off into the hills.

The Giants also wished to have a caamora, to grieve for their fallen. As they began the preparations, Linden took to healing the party, cleansing infection from the Giants and the burns from other members of the party.

During the caamora, while the Giants assuaged their hurt with stories of the fallen and with the cleansing pain of fire; Longwrath returned, on his mission of rage against Linden. However, he was stopped at the border of Andelain. By the Wraiths:
Exqusite candle flames pranced over the hillside, more and more of them, until at least a score had become manifest….
As soon as Longwrath’s foot touched the palpable demarcation between Salva Gildenbourne and Andelain, the Wraiths arrayed themselves in front of him. Together, they gyred and flared as though they meant to ensorcel his madness.
Greater his wrath became, but the Wraiths would not allow him to pass. They had formed an effective barrier against Longwrath. Then one a lit directly on the scar that disfigured his face. This caused him to shriek, pounding at his face. When he realized he could not pass, he broke into sobs, and retreated into the forest of Salva Gildenbourne.

After the caamora, and a night of sleep, Linden felt the need for greater speed to reach the krill. Greater than what the Giants could give her. She wished to make it to the Soulsease river in one day. The Giants had said it would take two. The Ranyhyn were summoned. They came at Stave’s whistle, but they looked as though they had been through an ordeal. However, for them, Andelain was a salve, they soaked up the abundant Earthpower of the place and rapidly recovered from their weariness. Swiftly they went, though the Ranyhyn could go swifter, they kept a pace that the Giants could match. At the end of the day, they reached the Soulsease, and the end of the chapter:
As the company halted, Linden recognized the satisfied pride of the Giants, the calm confidence of the Ranyhyn. She tasted Liand’s pleasure and that of the Cords. Indeed, Pahni’s and Bhapa’s gladness was dimmed only by their Manethrall’s clenched contained sorrow. Linden sensed the depth of Anele’s dreamless slumber, the solidity of Stave’s presence, the ungiving impassivity of the Humbled. But now she shared none of their reactions. Her attention had already gone past the Soulsease
On the far side of the Soulsease, she saw the Harrow.
His relaxed poise as he sat his destrier made it obvious that he was waiting for her.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Very nicely done, Damelon. Yes, this chapter certainly feels like a respite from despite. But it's at times like these when things sneak in!
When your deeds have come to doom, as they must
Again with the Doom! But Hollian doesn't say "fail", or "desecration", or "you big screw-up". Just "Doom" ... fate. Something serious is going to happen, but it need not be that it should have been avoided.

The actions of the wraiths give us hope. They, and the krill and the other forces in Andelain, keep out the bad guys, right down to Longwrath.

But Linden is allowed to enter. She can't be all bad.

And Hollian even tells her, us, that Foul may set his traps, but he doesn't know everything.

There is hope in contradiction.

Anyone care to guess why Linden is thinking about that?

A couple, three other points:

:!!!: Linden is prompted to remember the vision she had when first coming to the Land.
The skurj had vindicated Linden's visions during her translation to the Land. If Lord Foul kept his promises, she would eventually have to face the Worm of the World's End.
I'm not quite so sure that that's the right interpretation. [ link] Linden not only foresaw that she would face the Worm, she foresaw that she would wake the Worm. By weilding the white wild magic.

:!!!: There is an alarming reference to the Sandgorgons here.
Her enemies could not afford to let her reach her goal. If they failed to thwart her themselves, moksha Jehannum would suggest other tactics; summon other foes.

The scraps of samadhi Sheol's dark spirit wielded some form of influence among the Sandgorgons. And they had repaid their self-imposed debt. They are done with you. If the skurj could not catch her in time, and Roger's resources proved useless in Salva Gildenbourne, moksha Raver might reach out to his rent brother -

Linden had made too many mistakes. Acknowledging that the Sandgorgons had honored their debt was only one of them.
Can the other Ravers influence the Sandgorgons, bend them to their plans?!?! Linden thinks so.

And now I think so.

Pesky ravers.

:!!!: Hollian says something specifically about her son.
"... remember that he is the hope of the Land.

"This, also, the Despiser and all who serve him cannot imagine."
If that means what I think it means, and if it is correct, then Anele is literally Linden's shaved knuckle. Her ace up her sleeve. Her ringer.

The answer.

:!!!: After some debate, debate which we knew how it was going to end - debate which was really the author's justification - Linden summons the Ranyhyn.

Ah, Andelain and Ranyhyn.
When the horses appeared, they seemed to gallop straight into the glory of the sun. Its light blazed like heraldry in the stars on their foreheads. They were ten, and they ran as though they were the rich heart of the Hills made flesh.
Why does the author need the Ranyhyn here so badly?

Aren't the ur-viles also close by?

Uh. Oh.

Looks like we're headin' back to the past ...
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Yup, and I bet it's to meet Loric.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Yup, and I bet it's to meet Loric.
8O

That would be awesome. Loric fascinates me more than any other of the Old High Lords, because there are no accounts of his battles with the Viles and of his fashioning of the krill. I want to learn more about this badass Lord who took on the Viles and won.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I don't know...if they go to Loric's time, there will be two Staves of Law at the same time (and same place if they go to meet him)...and possibly two krill as well (does Linden or any of her companions know when in his long life Loric made it?...do we?) And what if Loric recognizes Linden? [both his father and grandfather met her, if I have the order of linneage right...it seems unlikely that Loric wouldn't know an aweful lot about her, considering the things she was responsible for/connected to]

Sandgorgons and Ravers. I'm split here...it's obvious the consumed raver has had an effect on them...but I have this suspicion that before the end the Ravers might wish they'd never heard of Sandgorgons. [and if I had to fight a skurj, I can't think of anything I'd rather have on my side than Sandgorgons] Certainly Linden is afraid she made a mistake calling the debt paid. But doing so also gives them the chance to act according to choice/freedom instead of by obligation, and the Sandgorgons have had some hard lessons concerning enslavement, refusal, obligations, and freedom.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Here are the names of all the Giants, as best as I can make out.

Rime Coldspray (Ironhand)
Frostheart Grueburn
Onyx Stonemage
Stormpast Galesend
Halewhole Bluntfist
Cirrus Kindwind (lost her arm)
Scend Wavegift (slain by Longwrath)
Moire Squireset (slain by skurj)
??? Cabledarm
??? Latebirth

And Exalt Widenedworld, aka Lostson Longwrath

I wanted to write them down because they are, alas, very forgettable.
The Seventh Ward
Servant of the Land

Post by The Seventh Ward »

When the Wraith touched Longwrath on his scar it reminded me of the first time Covenant met the Wraiths. They touched his source of power and became changed. Can they make changes to something else? Longwrath didn't start acting crazy until he recieved that scar, is the scar kind of a focal point for his madness? Were they trying to relieve his madness? Anele (almost) always freaks out when anything tries to turn his madness aside, and even when he doesn't freak out he can't stand being sane. Did the Wraith succeed in relieving his madness, even if just briefly? I think thats why he sobbed and ran. If he had a moment of clarity, was he trying to keep himself from doing what his madness compells him to try?
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

Also worthy of mention (I would have thought):
For the first time, Linden wondered whether his sword might be an instrument of magik. If his weapon had been forged with theurgy as well as fire, however the effects were no longer perceptible. They had been attenuated by too much time - or they had been designed for circumstances that no longer existed.
Longwrath has a relationship to his sword similar to Joan's with her ring - in the sense that it calms them - it is perhaps necessary to their given purpose and so the nearness of the item is a salve.

So what is Longwrath's given purpose? Is it evil? Could Lord Foul have reached across the Ocean's to the Giant's homeland? The sword was acquired in Bhrathairealm - does it pertain to Sandgorgans?

At least Linden's musings seem unlikely to have been empty (from the author's point of view).

Return to “Last Chronicles”