bread

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Bread-testing update:
I made a double recipe divided into three regular large (9x5?) loaf pans last night.
Baked it for 15 minutes with cookie sheets covering them, then 10-17? more minutes with the covers off.
It worked.
Savor Dam wrote:The introduction of homemade Instant Pot yogurt in our household this year has been a huge success for Menolly, but her whey-straining process takes roughly as long again as the culturing process.
Ahh, an efficiency expert, I see!
We have one of those in my house too...

And actually, because of one of the few things I've allowed myself to absorb of his thinking on efficiency...
...the whole "needing to use the oven often" thing may be an obstacle with this bread.
Making bread daily would be nice, but... the energy consumed by the oven.
(That only occurred to me after I'd made it like 2 days in a row, for the record.)
SD wrote:At the end, it's an entirely superior product to commercial yogurts...and the whey was a big bonus all spring and summer as a liquid fertilizer for both her tomato plants and Dam-sel's flowers.
Ah, neat... so another use for whey.
and yay, you were growing tomatoes, Menolly...
What variety? (not that I know anything; I just keep telling myself if I ever grow something it will be tomatoes.)
Home-grown tomatoes are SOOOO much more amazing and wonderful compared to store-bought.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Savor Dam wrote:The introduction of homemade Instant Pot yogurt in our household this year has been a huge success for Menolly, but her whey-straining process takes roughly as long again as the culturing process.
Longer. To reach the level of tanginess I like, I incubate the yogurt in the Instant Pot for 10 hours. That's after the 2.5 hour boil and cool down process.

I strain in to a pasta pot with it's steamer insert, lined with three flour sack towels for a full 24 hours. The pot is tall enough to keep the bottom of the yogurt from sitting in the drained off whey through the process. The yogurt pretty much results in labne.

I make two batches. One from a gallon of whole milk with a pint of heavy cream added; the other from a gallon of 1% milk, with a can of fat free evaporated milk added, and half a cup of milk powder. I get about 2 quarts of yogurt and 2 quarts of whey from each batch, after the 24 hour strain.

I like the whole milk plain, served with a sprinkle of Ceylon cinnamon and a sliced banana. As thick as it is, it is very rich. We also use the whole milk plain as a sour cream replacement. It works well for that, and keeps for about a month in a sealed jar. Open jars tend to turn after a couple of weeks. Great way to make use of milk that is about to expire in the carton. The stores here tend to mark milk a few days within the sell by date for half off. Really makes it cheaper to make homemade over buying store bought yogurt.

To the 2 quarts of strained 1% yogurt, I add a half a cup of white granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons of homemade (in the Instant Pot) vanilla extract. When I stir the flavoring in, the yogurt loosens and becomes a bit runnier. Then I jar 4 ounces by weight of the yogurt with a tablespoon and a half of Bonne Maman preserves in 8 ounce wide mouth mason jars for Dam-sel to take to work as a snack. SD gets 4 ounces of the flavored base yogurt in jars as well, but he flavors each jar with his own add ins.

The flavored yogurt keeps for about 10 days, with a little additional whey seepage, jarred this way. Then it starts to mold. Fortunately, it tends to be eaten quicker than that.
SD wrote:At the end, it's an entirely superior product to commercial yogurts...and the whey was a big bonus all spring and summer as a liquid fertilizer for both her tomato plants and Dam-sel's flowers.
*soft smile*
Linna Heartlistener wrote:
Ah, neat... so another use for whey.
and yay, you were growing tomatoes, Menolly...
What variety? (not that I know anything; I just keep telling myself if I ever grow something it will be tomatoes.)
Home-grown tomatoes are SOOOO much more amazing and wonderful compared to store-bought.
While the whey helped the tomato plants thrive, overall growing them here in the Pacific Northwet was a challenge. I think I transplanted them far too late from plants far too large. I got one usable ripe fruit, if I recall correctly, and lots of green ones I didn't harvest before it snowed. I was much more successful growing the tomatilloes from seed Stonemaybe sent me from Britain a few years ago in the Topsy-turvy.

I had a roma variety and a beefsteak variety, in Topsy-turvy planters hung from shepherd hooks. I'll try again, earlier, next year.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

oh yeah... I should have told HLT what I was taught about water temperature for bread.
I was taught it should be body temperature, so if I run the water across the inside of my wrist it should feel like nothing... neither hot nor cold.
(though I realize I actually go with 'just slightly warm,' even if it says "lukewarm")
Menolly wrote:While the whey helped the tomato plants thrive, overall growing them here in the Pacific Northwet was a challenge. I think I transplanted them far too late from plants far too large. I got one usable ripe fruit, if I recall correctly, and lots of green ones I didn't harvest before it snowed. I was much more successful growing the tomatilloes from seed Stonemaybe sent me from Britain a few years ago in the Topsy-turvy.

I had a roma variety and a beefsteak variety, in Topsy-turvy planters hung from shepherd hooks. I'll try again, earlier, next year.
ahhh... only one usable ripe tomato... bummer.

Did not know about the existence of a Topsy-turvy planter...
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

So Bread. We made bread at our house for a number of years. After making it enough you get a feel for the consistency and how it hold together (how much liquid it should have). That is just for the dough. The other part is temperature for it to rise. When its not during the warmer parts of the year, I have used two methods. One is to turn the oven on to allow the ambient temperature to rise where the bread is rising. The other is to turn on the over to the lowest setting, allow it to get warm and just turn the oven off an stick the rising bread in during the rising process.

We recently started making gluten free bread because my wife read that
glutens impact inflamation which causes her tinnitus to go off. For gluten free bread there is no kneading. The consistency is more stickly, and you just put it in and let it do its thing. However you need all these extra kinds of flour (White and brown rice flower, Sorgum flour, (I could go on and on with the flours) Xanthum gum and Tapioca starch make it rise. The breads are good but take practice to figure out how to make and be light and fluffy. For her birthday I made her a double dark chocolate gluten free double layer cake with cream cheese frosting (made it myself... takes 6 cups of powdered sugar LOL).

But bread is cool to make. We love it, but it seems to stick on my waist line. Combine that with the craft beer that I like and its the recipe for disaster!!!
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

A friend of mine had a procedure done yesterday, and I asked if there was anything I could fix for her, since currently visitors are discouraged. She asked for a plain and a rainbow challah. When I went shopping for the m&ms, I saw both milk chocolate and dark chocolate m&ms. I asked her husband which she would prefer, and dark chocolate it is.

My recipe makes 3 challot, so I asked Dam-sel what type of challah she would like, and she suggested a cinnamon swirl. I haven't done that type before, so that loaf was an experiment.

I used a different challah recipe than the one from CHABAD I usually make this time. If Dam-sel's cinnamon swirl challah is any example, this one is much more tender than the other one.

4-strand braid cinnamon swirl challah for Dam-sel. The strands are rolled out in to a rectangle and then layered with cinnamon butter before rolling them up jelly roll style. Then they're braided.

I did four, as I found dividing the butter in to four equal parts to be easier than dividing in to five or six.

I had some butter leakage while baking, so the bottom baked up soggy, hence putting the cooling rack over newspaper. However, the caramel on the bottom firmed up as it cooled.

The inside of the cinnamon swirl challah. I think the leakage may have occurred due to one of the jelly roll braids not staying sealed. But, the flavor is awesome.

5-strand braid plain challah.

6-strand braid rainbow challah. It's been awhile since I've done 6-strand braiding; looks like I need to practice it a bit more.

Return to “The Galley”