Who is the Fatal Revenat?

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

son of Dwillian
Servant of the Land

Who is the Fatal Revenat?

Post by son of Dwillian »

Call me obtuse if you like, but who is actually the Fatal Revenant? Linden or Covenant? Thanks.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I'll let others more versed in the Chrons answer your question, son of Dwillian, and take the time to welcome you to the Watch instead. So...

Be Welcome to the Watch, son of Dwillian.
Be Well Come and True.

If you like, come tell us about yourself in the Say "Hello" in here thread in The Summonsing.
Seeker of Truth
Ramen

Post by Seeker of Truth »

according to the missus ME!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

here's a previous thread that might help you out.. :)

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13276
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

LA is the Fatal Revenant. It says so on SRD's website. Go to the home page & click on the "trailer" for FR at the top of the Home Page. See for yourselves.
"Who enters here, do not lose hope / Who leaves; do not rejoice / Who has not been, shall be here yet / Who has been here, shall never forget" Anonymous / discovered scratched into the wall of a cell in the KGB's Lefortovo Prison in Moscow/originally quoted in the book "Alexander Dolguns Story" (by A.Dolgun),describing the ordeals of an American citizen falsely imprisoned by the Soviet Union from 1948 to 1957.
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

Don't go by the trailer - that's just something **I** made up after reading the draft. Even though SRD "approves" them before they go on the site, they don't necessarilly represent what he had in mind. It amazes me how often I felt sure I knew what was going on (in *any* of the books), then read something in the GI or hear Steve answer a question at an Elohimfest and find out how much deeper the "truth" really is. And I put together the "teaser" to be exactly that - perhaps meaning one thing, perhaps another. Like the "Linden, what have you done?" quote in the FR trailer. It's one of the last lines in the book, but it suggests that the TC that we see at the beginning might be the real one. Now, that doesn't mean that the trailer doesn't accurately represent the book - it's meant to do that, too.

I think SRD said in a GI answer that there were several Fatal Revenants. Linden, Roger, Jeremiah, TC himself. They can all be looked at as fatal reflections or incarnations of themselves.
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

I don't think the Fatal Revenant is just one person - it is more like an underlying concept of the last chronicles. Depending on the perspective everyone is a revenant of one sort with the potential to be fatal to others. Foul, Linden, Covenant, Anele, Ramen and Ranyhym (who return to the land), the Mahdoubt, the Theomach, the Demondim, the ur-Viles and Waynhims ... even Berek. With time travel and ceasures every one can be a revenant.

EDIT:
And Romeo was faster. Damn, I type top slow or think too long while typing ...
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Romeo wrote:Don't go by the trailer - that's just something **I** made up after reading the draft. Even though SRD "approves" them before they go on the site, they don't necessarilly represent what he had in mind. It amazes me how often I felt sure I knew what was going on (in *any* of the books), then read something in the GI or hear Steve answer a question at an Elohimfest and find out how much deeper the "truth" really is. And I put together the "teaser" to be exactly that - perhaps meaning one thing, perhaps another. Like the "Linden, what have you done?" quote in the FR trailer. It's one of the last lines in the book, but it suggests that the TC that we see at the beginning might be the real one. Now, that doesn't mean that the trailer doesn't accurately represent the book - it's meant to do that, too.

I think SRD said in a GI answer that there were several Fatal Revenants. Linden, Roger, Jeremiah, TC himself. They can all be looked at as fatal reflections or incarnations of themselves.
That quote - "Oh Linden, what have you done?" was a helluva teaser, and an even better cliffhanger. ;)
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Romeo wrote:Don't go by the trailer - that's just something **I** made up after reading the draft. Even though SRD "approves" them before they go on the site, they don't necessarilly represent what he had in mind. It amazes me how often I felt sure I knew what was going on (in *any* of the books), then read something in the GI or hear Steve answer a question at an Elohimfest and find out how much deeper the "truth" really is. And I put together the "teaser" to be exactly that - perhaps meaning one thing, perhaps another. Like the "Linden, what have you done?" quote in the FR trailer. It's one of the last lines in the book, but it suggests that the TC that we see at the beginning might be the real one. Now, that doesn't mean that the trailer doesn't accurately represent the book - it's meant to do that, too.

That quote - "Oh Linden, what have you done?" was a helluva teaser, and an even better cliffhanger. ;)
After I read FR, I thought about that trailer and said "Well-played". My hat off to you, Romeo
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Orlion wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:

After I read FR, I thought about that trailer and said "Well-played". My hat off to you, Romeo
let's not brag on Romeo too much - he's already got that "I'm SRD's webmaster and you're not" attitude going on. ;)
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Cool ideas here. TC almost has to be one FR, [half the powers in the world knew that, whatever her other intentions, Linden was going to call TC..fated, back from the dead]. Many of the other speculations are pretty interesting too, and considering SRD's penchant for multiplicity, ONE ANSWER seems unlikely. A couple thoughts just occured to me [that are highly speculative, but I hope interesting...] Kastenessen...certainly fatal [in both the deadly and fated senses] and also a revenant...returned, but not what he once was. The Haruchai [same reasons as Kast.] ....damn, I should have mentioned, since I didn't see it here, in addition to the noted definitions, revenant can also mean remainder, or what is left over.
Last one, just for fun and weirdness: The Staff of Law. At this point, analogically, it reminds me of police forces in Mexico, some US cities, and a lot of other places. What it stands for [ideologically] is still in place, as is its "mission" [slight but important difference there]...but in practice it has been violated, corrupted, distorted and abused in so many ways, often with good intentions.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I always assumed TC was the Fatal Revenant, due to the definition of revenant.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

MsMary wrote:I always assumed TC was the Fatal Revenant, due to the definition of revenant.
The same definition would apply to Lord Foul. Or Linden - after all she looks like being pretty dead in her own world.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Percipience
Servant of the Land

Post by Percipience »

I finished an entire book and still don't know what the title means. If only I knew what Revenant meant. I suppose I should have looked it up, but I figured eventually I would get a clue in reading the book. Not so. :-(
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

One note or two, three:
The FR can be a spectre of a past deed. A dark mood(Which Linden has developed) The Mahdoubt could be one. Bhapa's fear of being a Manethrall.

A revenant is a spirit who seek vengence for a wrong, but SRD might redefine it as a condition.
Or it can be Kastenessen, who is mad but is he alive?
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Methinks it is deliberately vague, but in terms of obvious plot, Thomas Covenant.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Wheelwash Whitecap
Stonedownor

Who is the FR?

Post by Wheelwash Whitecap »

Even though the definition of revenant says a "spirit", that does not necessarily mean that the FR is dead.

Therefore, it could be LA or TC. For that matter there are several more characters that fit the bill as well.

Having said that, IMO it is TC.
Life is just a candle
And a dream must give it flame.
Fountain Of Lamneth
Illearth
Servant of the Land

I'd guess it's the Ranyhyn!

Post by Illearth »

Just because everybody (except LF and Ravers) loves them.

I'm looking forward to the conclusion, but gotta say LA is bugging the bejabbers out of me. She's so admirable in so many ways, yet she's willing to damn the Land for the sake of vacant Jeremiah. All the wonder of the Land and its denizens doesn't strike me as a worthy bargain (as Wildwood would say) for one damaged teen who never responds. BTW, I do hope Jeremiah isn't going to put Foul somewhere from whence he can never return.
Remillard
Servant of the Land

Re: I'd guess it's the Ranyhyn!

Post by Remillard »

Illearth wrote:She's so admirable in so many ways, yet she's willing to damn the Land for the sake of vacant Jeremiah. All the wonder of the Land and its denizens doesn't strike me as a worthy bargain (as Wildwood would say) for one damaged teen who never responds.
She's his MOTHER.
Illearth
Servant of the Land

Re: I'd guess it's the Ranyhyn!

Post by Illearth »

Remillard wrote: She's his MOTHER.
By adoption.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”