Memories of Ice - need a jolt!

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

StevieG
Andelanian

Memories of Ice - need a jolt!

Post by StevieG »

I admit to you all - I rarely lose interest in a book. I'm not a philosopher. I'm not an aspiring writer, although I appreciate a well written story. I'm not overly concerned with plot or pacing (at least I don't think I am) - but I just can't help losing interest in Memories of Ice.

I haven't read any of this forum for fear of reading spoilers. I quite enjoyed Gardens of the Moon, and really enjoyed Deadhouse Gates. I especially loved the story of Mappo and Icarium (was that his name?). I started ok with MoI but have hit a wall. I like Paran, but find his musings a bit annoying, and the other characters haven't gripped me. How many new characters are there?? I just can't keep up with them.

I don't want to quit reading, and feel maybe just a bit of encouragement is all I need. Maybe I need to look at the Malazan books in a new light - I'm always looking for characters to return to the series, whereas new characters seem to pop up everywhere. Should I be treating these stories as a bunch of stand-alone books, with some thin connections? Or is there a larger purpose? As I say, I want to keep reading, because I like the style of the books, but I just need some ... encouragement!

Any help would be appreciated. :)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Can't help you. Again, I find your sensibilities and mine pretty much the same.

I can tell you that, being as far along as Toll the Hounds, there's only more of the same coming.

IMO, it's popcorn reading. Like a popcorn movie, it's fun, but don't think about it. Enjoy it as it flows by, but don't try to internalize it. And if the resolutions don't live up to the drama, well, it was still fun to watch.
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I've read the 8 main books out so far, as well as Return of the Crimson Guard. IMO, the first four books are clearly the best of the bunch. Not that there's anything wrong with the others. There's some great stuff in each of the others, and a couple of them are very good books. But the first four as a unit are the best.

But Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice are a big cut above the other two. I'm in absolute awe of DG and MoI! And the two times I read DG, I couldn't imagine anything being better. Then I read MoI, and found something that was. So many extraordinary things happen, and they all tie together. My name here is because of MoI, but not nearly all the amazing parts deal with the First Sword. But I can't really say anything without knowing how far along you are. Could be you've already read some of the parts I think are unbelievably good, but they don't do anything for you. That's the way things go, eh? But if you're not too far along yet, maybe I'll try to find a way to encourage you without revealing too much. So what page are you on?
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I'm on page 378. I suppose about a third of the way through.

I enjoy Quick Ben's character, and I'm a bit interested in the Crippled God. It feels significant. I was enjoying Whiskeyjack's character in previous books, but so far he hasn't featured much. And the T'lan Imass are fascinating. I suppose I was more interested in Felisin, Icarium, Mappo from the previous story.

Maybe I'm in a "preparation" stage? And it's all about to happen - at the moment it is all building toward some sort of challenge with the Pannion Seer, I think.

I am encouraged by your comments, Onos T'oolan. Your namesake is another interesting character, and if he features significantly in MoI, then I should read on!
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

"Some sort of challenge"!! Yeah, you could say that! :lol: The Pannion Domin is the nastiest little organization you're likely to ever run into. Damn!

But before you get to their stronghold, you have to get to Capustan. And what happens in Capusatn, both horrifying and heroic, is incredible!! Ah, the Grey Swords! The Barghast! Quick Ben!

Then there's Silverfox and her various parts in it all.

And yeah, my namesake! His travels with Envy and the Seguleh, and especially his friendship with Toc.

AND IT ALL TIES TOGETHER! Everything I've mentioned so far comes together. It's all the same story.

I'm not home, so no book with me. I'll check that page when I'm home, and see what specific stuff to talk about. I'm sure Whiskeyjack's story has begun, and it's great! And the story of the Bridgeburners!
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Thanks again Onos! It's exactly what I need to keep going. I didn't want to come into this fascinating forum and just bad-mouth a book, so hopefully it didn't come across this way. I just needed exactly what I said - a jolt. And your passion for the story has re-ignited my interest, so thanks! I'll keep going and let you know how I go. :)
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

I have hadnt any problems reading this book, if anything I cant put it down :biggrin: I up to Capustan and what happens there and a unlikely person steps up to the mark. I,m enjoying the whole story just keen to see how Toc the Younger fares :?:
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Isn't it Toc who...wait, or was that...?

I'm clearly no help, Cleburne. You'll just have to keep reading.

;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

aliantha wrote:Isn't it Toc who...wait, or was that...?

I'm clearly no help, Cleburne. You'll just have to keep reading.

;)
I still have too find out what happens Toc but dont worry Aliantha I,m almost finished. ;)
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Well, StevieG, I hope it's going well. I'm glad if my enthusiasm helped you continue, but, having looked to see what happened by page 378, I'm entirely shocked that you were able to put the book down long enough to write your post!! 8O :lol: MoI is so very full of wonders that nearly every other page of my copy is dog-eared!
:LOLS:
Really. Tool and the Seguleh. Tool and Toc. Toc and Envy. Every conversation; every action. Even the funny moments kill me!
"They had gods once, you know."

He shot her a glance. "Oh?"

"Well. Spirits, then. Earth and rock and tree and beast and sun and stars and antler and bone and blood-"

"Yes, yes, Lady, I grasp the theme."
Everything Quick Ben's done and said.

The whole Barghast situation, leading to Trotts' duel.

The birth of Barghast gods.

Paran's discoveries about the holds and Houses.

Silverfox.

The Grey Swords.

The K'Chain Che'Malle.

Please tell me you're moving right along? Heh.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

:lol: Yes, I'm moving right along!!

I know - from what I have (carefully - avoiding spoilers) read of this forum, MoI and DG are readers' favourites. That's why it distressed me somewhat that my interest was waning.

I think that a contributing factor is that I only read at night, in bed - and sometimes only a couple of sentences before falling asleep. I have lost track, from time to time, of the number of characters and stories in this book, and have been forced to go back and forward quite a bit.

I've changed my approach and attitude a little to reading the book, and have advanced another 50 or so pages since my 1st post. I'll keep you posted (so to speak) on my progress. Hopefully, there'll be some humble pie for me at the end. ;)
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Still going - I'm a slow reader. Gone past Trott duel. Toc is currently musing on the cannibalism of Annaster's lieutenants (first child of the dead seed - :faint: - shudder)
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Yeah, there's nothing pleasant about the Pannion Domin.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I'm a fast reader, but the Malazan books take me for-freakin'-ever to read. Not because they're so big (big honkin' books don't scare *me*! :lol:), but because they're so chockablock with characters and nuances and little stuff that might be important later (and that I'm guaranteed to forget in another 50 pages or so anyhow :roll:).

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

aliantha wrote:I'm a fast reader, but the Malazan books take me for-freakin'-ever to read. Not because they're so big (big honkin' books don't scare *me*! :lol:), but because they're so chockablock with characters and nuances and little stuff that might be important later (and that I'm guaranteed to forget in another 50 pages or so anyhow :roll:).
I can totally relate!

I am now very worried about Toc who has just visited the Pannion Seer.... about to start Chapter 13.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

be worried. be very worried. :(
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Yeah....

EZ Board Survivor

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Well, I've just gone past day one of the siege on Capustan. Gruntle is turning out to be a bit of a hero. Buke has some new special gifts. Those 2 sorcerer bastards (Bauchalin and Broach) are trying to take Anaster (failed so far). The citizens are going to the underground shelters... and there's not a snowflakes chance in hell that I'm going to put it down now :evil: !! It's now impacting on my work and sleep time - HOOD TAKE YOU ALL!!!!!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

:twisted:

(I forgot about Buke...)

EZ Board Survivor

Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Capustan

You know, I've never come close to being disappointed in any of the books. But MoI... How one person came up with all that is beyond me. I'm in awe.

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”