Darkwood--OOC commentary/discussion

Moderator: Seven Words

Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Seven Words wrote:Had Led not been RIGHT THERE, axe-man would have ducked back in for a couple quick drinks. :)
Thank God for being impatient, then.
Geek the mage, first.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Led Pighp wrote:
Seven Words wrote:Had Led not been RIGHT THERE, axe-man would have ducked back in for a couple quick drinks. :)
Thank God for being impatient, then.
:) Which deity? ;)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Is there anyway we can keep ~OoC~ discussion in this thread instead of the Game thread, unless the reply is phrased somehow in character? I really do appreciate the information; it saves me a lot of hunting and reading. But it is jarring to suddenly have ~OoC~ info pop up in the story...at least for me.

*my apologies if I am stepping out of line*
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Yup, sorry. Was rushing to get all the info stated while multitasking, and I dropped out of character. Heading to bed now, but will edit my post to be in character in the AM.
Geek the mage, first.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

*feeling really stupid asking this, but it isn't obvious to me*
Seven Words wrote:/ooc--several people made their Knowledge Arcane rolls to identify the potions based on the markings, so I'm just listing them.

1. Pot: CLW
2. Pot CLW
3. Pot CMW
4. Pot CMW
5. Pot CLW
6. eagle’s splendor
7. bull strength
8. Aid
9. Barkskin +2
master, is there significance to you saying "Pot" before the cure potions? We already know this is a list of potions, and I was wondering if it signified quantity or something. Like perhaps a cauldron we could fill several vials of each of those potions...

*would be nice, eh*

...off to read up on Eagle's Splendor, and the scrolls, to see what their benefits are...
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Taking this conversation to the OOC thread.
Vynarkus wrote:[ooc]I have several questions and comments.

Led wrote:Eagle's Speldor gives a bonus to charisma, which will allow Laurel to cast additional spells
D20srd wrote: Sorcerers and bards (and other spellcasters who rely on Charisma) affected by this spell do not gain any additional bonus spells for the increased Charisma
Seven may rule otherwise, but I wanted to point that out.
Yup, good point. Then it would have little effect for her, except to raise the DC of her spells. Likewise, it would raise the DC of your eldritch blast, but I don't think that'll be of significant use to us in this context.
Vynarkus wrote:2. The word Pot in front of each of the cure potions suggests that they are in a different sort of container, and it sounds bigger to me than a normal vial. Is it, Seven?
That's Seven's way of abbeviating potion. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
Vynarkus wrote:3.
Led wrote:Marrik is the only one of us with a bladed melee weapon, so he's the only one who can use it
Won't Darak, the dwarf, also be using a weapon? And are you forgetting that we now have the orc leader's magic axe which can either go to him or Marrik?
Darak (anyone else notice that his name sounds like Marrik, only with a D for Dwarf?) has his dwarven throwing hammer, which doesn't benefit from keen edge. I agree that Marrik using the axe, and maybe the oil on the axe would be of benefit to us. But he's a paladin, and they have weird moral qualms when it comes to 'evil' things. The axe is 'elf-bane', which isn't evil by definition, but I could see how it gets into a grey area that a paladin wouldn't want to mess with it. Paladins who cross the line even a little bit (where the line is interpreted by their dieties) have most of their powers removed. So he'll not want to take chances, just for a small increase in damage potential. We might still try to convince him, but paladins are renowned for their stubbornness. (Should be fun to role-play, though.)
Vynarkus wrote:4. Unless I found myself missing often, I wouldn't use it. After all, my attack is a touch attack, and Beau would probably choose to save it as well, although he should reply for himself.
5. Have we even tried to stabilize and interrogate one of the kobolds yet? Or are they all dead already?
Laurel tells me that in a previous encounter, Seven ruled that a heal check cannot be performed untrained. And none of us (except maybe Marrik) have ranks in Heal, because it's out-class for us. So, we cannot attempt to revive them, without spending a potion to do so.

In anticipation of wanting to avoid this problem with this next fight (assuming that we survive it) I'll suggest in game that we attempt to capture one alive.
Geek the mage, first.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Led Pighp wrote:
Vynarkus wrote:[ooc]I have several questions and comments.

Led wrote:Eagle's Speldor gives a bonus to charisma, which will allow Laurel to cast additional spells
D20srd wrote: Sorcerers and bards (and other spellcasters who rely on Charisma) affected by this spell do not gain any additional bonus spells for the increased Charisma
Seven may rule otherwise, but I wanted to point that out.
Yup, good point. Then it would have little effect for her, except to raise the DC of her spells. Likewise, it would raise the DC of your eldritch blast, but I don't think that'll be of significant use to us in this context.
Vyn has come up with a potential good use for it though, if what he told me is correct. It may come into game play for this next battle. We'll see.
Led Pighp wrote:
Vynarkus wrote:2. The word Pot in front of each of the cure potions suggests that they are in a different sort of container, and it sounds bigger to me than a normal vial. Is it, Seven?
That's Seven's way of abbeviating potion. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
mmm...
That was the same as my post just before yours here.
Thanks...
Led Pighp wrote:
Vynarkus wrote:5. Have we even tried to stabilize and interrogate one of the kobolds yet? Or are they all dead already?
Laurel tells me that in a previous encounter, Seven ruled that a heal check cannot be performed untrained. And none of us (except maybe Marrik) have ranks in Heal, because it's out-class for us. So, we cannot attempt to revive them, without spending a potion to do so.
Unless I am reading more into what the DM said to me.
He told me heal checks on the party could not be performed untrained to determine how badly off each member was (I still have no idea how many HPs many of the party members have, as it should be without a heal check). I assume that means we can't attempt to use a heal check to stabilize a dying creature as well. But, I might be jumping to conclusions...
Led Pighp wrote:In anticipation of wanting to avoid this problem with this next fight (assuming that we survive it) I'll suggest in game that we attempt to capture one alive.
I thought I had suggested that for the previous fight.
I probably did in an oblique manner, when others didn't know I couldn't stabilize (if that is the case). But yeah, I highly suggest this as well...
Vynarkus wrote:Vynarkus looks over at Skyseeker. "Do you think we have time to look for armor? because if we do, I would like to look for armor made of mithril as well.
;)

copycat...
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

yup, in my treasure notes on paper i write Pot: *whatver* the exact potion is...i was jsut typing straight off my pages....

heal is a skil that really needs to be trained to use.

the armory holds NOTHING beyodn the utterly mundane.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Seven Words wrote:the armory holds NOTHING beyodn the utterly mundane.
[sarcasm]Technically, elven chain is utterly mundane.[/sarcasm]

I'm just sayin'.
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Mundane means not significant, typical, average, NOT merely non-magical...and elven chain is NOT commonplace (even among elves).

Because applying YOU technically, the Adamantine half-Plate Marrik strapped on is "mundane",too.

:P
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

OK, it's pushing a week with no word from Beauregard. I'm going to NPC him to get things moving.

As a future guideline....in the name of continuity, does everyone feel that a minimum of 24 hours with no word at all be considered the cutoff for NPC-interval? Unless it's mid-fight, I'm inclined to go longer than 24, more like 48....
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Do we want to exclude weekends from that?
Geek the mage, first.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I hate the weekend/holiday delays, but understand them.
So I say 24 hours no word, other than weekends and holidays, is reasonable before NPC-intervention.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

With a polite request that if people know they'll be away for a period to give notice, so Seven can NPC you to your preferences.
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

yes,sorry, weekends are NOT part of the 24-hour thing, as my own on-ness is iffy on weekends.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Led Pighp wrote:With a polite request that if people know they'll be away for a period to give notice, so Seven can NPC you to your preferences.
Oh, I'm only talking about no notice NPCing...
If someone says they are going to be away, and tells the master how they wish to be played, I think that should kick in as soon as the time they said they would be away begins.

Vyn and I both gave notice and instructions to the master (although I think Vyn needed to be coaxed a bit) when I was unsure I would get the back up dial-up access working at my father-of-love's place last week. Fortunately, the master didn't really need to call upon that...much.

The 24-hour thing is for anyone who has been gone for longer than 24 hours, with no advance warning of any kind...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I just got to say...
Was that not a poor attack on a spellcaster for a surprise round? I am concerned it probably did more harm than good.

:hithead:
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

sorry folks.. I was moving in to a new home and took some time off. Had no access to computer as things are bieng hooked up.
Will try and be more active.
:)
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

No worries, mate. Think we just went all Lord of the Flies on you there, with nothing to do but talk to each other. You know the dangers of leaving children unsupervised... they start to raise icons and sacrifice each other to them.
Geek the mage, first.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Did anyone else notice this, from the first round of combat?
Seven Words wrote:Beauregard hurls a dart into the back of the flat-footed orc now facing Led, piercing the unprotected skull (5 points) The orc collapses, merely incapacitated.
The orc is incapacitated, not dying. Exactly at 0hp. So we can question him later, and not have to make a heal check or waste valuable potions / scrolls.
Geek the mage, first.

Return to “D&D-Darkwood”