Football

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Tis the night before the new season, and everything is ready for the big kick off.

Let the madness begin.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Phantasm wrote:Tis the night before the new season, and everything is ready for the big kick off.

Let the madness begin.
I expect Rangers will do well this season as they don't have the distraction of European football :lol:
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Rangers will win the SPL, shame not in Europe.

Back to real football, English Premierleague will kick off soon so its time for predictions:

Premierleague Title - Arsenal(more I want them, I generally don't think they will... live in hope).
Runner Up - Chelsea
3rd - Liverpool
4th - Man U :lol:

Relegated -
Fulham
Hull
Stoke

FA Cup - Liverpool
League Cup - Man U

Champions League - Chelsea
UEFA Cup - AC Milan

Promotion -
1st - Birmingham
2nd - QPR
3rd - Southampton :lol:
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Premiership
Liverpool
Man utd
Chelsea
Arsenal
Relegated
Stoke
Wigan
West Brom
Fa Cup
Liverpool
League cup
Chelsea
Promotion
Bristol City
Birmingham City
Sheffield Wednesday
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I'm very excited! I got my tickets yesterday! I've only ever been to one premiership game, and that was a corporate junket where I was last choice. But as Brum's just up the railway track, and I've always had a soft spot for Martin O'Neill (he went to my school), and because I'm impressed with Villa giving their shirt sponsorship to a charity, and because gf has never been to a premiership game at all, we decided to get tickets for Villa vs Man City this Sunday. Can't wait!

Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Stonemaybe wrote:I'm very excited! I got my tickets yesterday! Villa vs Man City this Sunday. Can't wait!
Excellent stuff Im trying to get my mates to get tickets to see some football this season there is noting like the atmosphere of being in a stadium watching footie its a buzz :D I hope yous enjoy it. The last prem match i was saw was in 1998 and it was between Derby and Wimbleon at Selhurst park so I am overdue a visit to a game
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

I want to get tickets to actually see some Arsenal games. So far to travel to London and it is expensive but I want to see at least one game... don't mind which though.
One day I want to be there and watch Arsenal v Man U, Arsenal v Chelsea and Arsenal v Tottenham.
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Stonemaybe wrote:I'm very excited! I got my tickets yesterday! I've only ever been to one premiership game, and that was a corporate junket where I was last choice. But as Brum's just up the railway track, and I've always had a soft spot for Martin O'Neill (he went to my school), and because I'm impressed with Villa giving their shirt sponsorship to a charity, and because gf has never been to a premiership game at all, we decided to get tickets for Villa vs Man City this Sunday. Can't wait!
Lots of goals for you to see today!!!!!!

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Queeaqueg wrote:I want to get tickets to actually see some Arsenal games. So far to travel to London and it is expensive but I want to see at least one game... don't mind which though.
One day I want to be there and watch Arsenal v Man U, Arsenal v Chelsea and Arsenal v Tottenham.
Good luck! I tried alot last year cos gf is a big arsenal fan. bloody impossible!

But today's game was great! As Phantasm said, the most goals this weekend, a hatrick for Agbonlahor and one for Carew. And two DREADFUL goals given away by Villa. Barry played really really well, and went down well with the crowd, thankfully cos I like him.

Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Its all about the Arsenal, Nasri scored first goal... who needs Pleb and Flamoney.
Chelsea look good this weekend with Deco really showing us what he is made of, why did Barcelona get rid of him again?
Man U looked a bit tired, I really think Man U need to dip into transfer market and get some players in like a new striker and a right/central defender. Berbatov and Ramos/Zhirkov/Sagnol/Richards.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Anyone seen any of the Olympic football? Watched the highlights of the women's semi between Brazil and Germany (Brazil won 4-1). Some of Brizil's players were fantastic!

Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Stonemaybe wrote:Anyone seen any of the Olympic football? Watched the highlights of the women's semi between Brazil and Germany (Brazil won 4-1). Some of Brizil's players were fantastic!

Womens football is wrong on so many levels - let them stick to doing the washing up and ironing.

Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Did anyone see that dismal performance? We have the players, we have the stadium and we have the coach, but for some reason they just simply won't play for the team. Come to the point where they would rather play for their club than country. Thank god for the Premiership.

Arsenal to beat Fulham, going to win the title.
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Queeaqueg wrote:Did anyone see that dismal performance? Thank god for the Premiership.
Arsenal to beat Fulham, going to win the title.
It was a bad performance alright but I dont think they needed that fixture as the premership has just started and the players are saving themselves for their clubs.
As for Arsenel to win the league Iam not so sure about that :cry:
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I'd love it if Arsenal won the league, but I don't see it happening either.... :( :(

Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Arsenal are not doing a very good job of because they lost at the weekend... too Fulham(can't stand that team, so badly wanted them to go down).
Chelsea look like the unstoppables, I would hate to see them with Robinho in their team... scary thought.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I actually like Fulham, but I wanted them to go down last year for sacking Chris Coleman when he'd done as good a job as Tigana with a fraction of the money (Steve Marlet, anyone?). Sanchez was immediately out of his depth, but Hodgson did a great job to keep them up. After his miserable attempt at managing Blackburn I thought he was one of those managers who just couldn't adapt to the Premiership, but he's proved me wrong and bought well in the summer.

Arsenal I think are going to have a rough year. Had Tottenham and Everton not started so badly I'd even be wondering if they might drop out of the top 4. There's no avoiding the fact that their squad is patchy, thin in places and too young. I can't see them winning consistently with the likes of Almunia and Eboue at the back, although Silvestre could prove to be an inspired purchase. Van Persie is great, but not consistent enough to carry the team and they really do miss Fabregas if he's not playing. Eduardo might make a big difference when he's back, but they can't rely on that.

It's not all doom and gloom by any means; with young talent like Vela, Wilshere, Lansbury, Walcott and Ramsey in the squad I can see another period of Arsenal domination down the road, but it's going to take a few years for them to be ready and they need to have a solid back five to play in front of. Currently I'd keep Clichy and look at replacing the rest, I can't believe they've made Gallas captain again.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Can't stand Fulham, same with Middlesbrough, West Brom and Tottenham.
Arsenal could have a good year, depends on whether we make a new signing because we need a new Defensive Midfield. At least Senderos is gone.

A lot of talk about a Great Britain Football team. I don't know what to make of it, it sounds good but can every national team be represented. England are better than the others, it is a fact we see it in the Premierleague every week but it doesn't mean they are a better side(Croatia football players are not the best but they play as a team).
I tried making a team, trying not to be too biased(others have a go):

Goalkepper - Gordon
Right Back - Hutton
Left back - G McCartney
Centre - Terry
Centre - Ferdinand
Right Mid - Fletcher
Left Mid - Simone Davis
Centre mid - Gerrard
Centre mid - B Ferguson
Striker - Healy
Striker - Rooney

Sub - Whittaker, Brunt, Ramsey, Bentley, Taylor, McFadden, J Cole

Obviously this is in four years time and many players would be older and others would have come through but choosing a team was quite difficult, with trying to fair for every nationality.
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Don't get me started on a team GB for the olympics in London. :roll:

It's not gonna happen - England may well have a team, representing GB and called GB, but you can bet your bottom dollar that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will avoid this like the plague.

There is no way that they will risk their status within FIFA for a few games in the Olympics, basically to boost the viewing figures and give a bit of kudos to the PM.

Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Oh come, I stand this idea of 'National identity', England, Wales, N Ireland and Scotland all make up Great Britain, why not have a Great Britain football team?
Rugby 7s(so I heard, it will so sick if Rugby 7s is in Olympics.. I will actually watch it then) will have a Britain team so why not football. I wish every team will stop being so petty about this idea of losing their identity. You will not lose your identity, its just forming a team capable of winning the gold off the Argentine.

Return to “Sports”