Vampire: The Requiem - The Council of the Primogen

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Unfortunately, my pc died yesterday. I am not sure what is causing the issue - hardware or software - but regardless, I cannot access the hardrive. I was going to back everything up this week, too. So the bad news is that I am unable to access the vampire campaign data or any of the character sheets. Whether this means I can continue the game at the moment or not is difficult to say. I am going to try to pull out the HD and see if I can get to the data tonight.

It's painful because I may have lost some writing for good. I had been working on an alien world - the best stuff I have done in a while - and I'm terrified it's gone.

Sorry everyone.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Sorry to hear about your lost stuff man, sad times
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I am taking my pc in for repairs on Saturday. Until then there is nothing I can do, sorry. I cannot say that this has taught me a lesson to back up more often - I do, but that I didn't do it more recently.

If the data is gone, I may have to run another city/campaign.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Here's to hoping all is retrievable.

Is it not possible to rebuild from what is posted here, and have the players resend you what you may have lost that you sent to them? The time it would take to rebuild would be comparable or possibly less than starting from scratch?

The story is so intriguing. I would hope that if this particular campaign has ended that you would tell the players where you had planned to go with them, so they could share publicly if they so desired.
Maddoc
Woodhelvennin

Post by Maddoc »

Sorry to here about your potentially lost alien world, Loremaster. That sucks. I'd sh*% myself if everything on my hard drive went tits-up.

Seems we'll be in hiatus for awhile, with fingers crossed that we get going again, maybe in another city, you say? Hmm...
Anyway, if this is it, let me say thanks for running this game Loremaster, and cheers everyone, for playing. I've really enjoyed reading everyone's adventures, as well as having my own.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I should be able to start the game again midweek. The computer will be repaired by then, and I think I know how to get around the lost data (if it lost).
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I just hope you recover your stuff - not just Vampire: The Requiem, but everything.

And I'm with Maddoc - this game is effing awesome. Thanks Lore. :D
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Loremaster wrote:I should be able to start the game again midweek. The computer will be repaired by then, and I think I know how to get around the lost data (if it lost).

I look forward to reading some more!
variol son wrote:I just hope you recover your stuff - not just Vampire: The Requiem, but everything.
variol son wrote:And I'm with Maddoc - this game is effing awesome. Thanks Lore. :D
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

We feared the sunrise
Had touched Loremaster's PC
And turned it to dust

Happily, it will
Remain undead among its
Silicon Kindred
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Thanks for the many kind words. I feel the same upon reading your posts. Almost every night Montresor and I discuss what the characters are doing, such as laughing at Maddoc's antics or me hinting at dark things.

I have some good news - I'm going to run the game from tomorrow. I can recall most of the stuff from memory, but I won't run combat given that I don't have the character sheets. Not that combat is imminent for anyone (well someone is walking into a very dangerous situation).

Maybe some cryptic hints are in order . . .

The game is about to experience a shakeup. A new faction is about to arrive, but they may have been here for a long time.

Something lurks beneath the city . . . several things lurk, and not all of them are organic. (Think on that one and be dismayed!)

Someone's broken the Masquerade.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

oh boy...

cryptic hints...

...the wait is now officially killing me...
Hideo Nishi
Servant of the Land

Post by Hideo Nishi »

Dread Poet Jethro wrote:We feared the sunrise
Had touched Loremaster's PC
And turned it to dust

Happily, it will
Remain undead among its
Silicon Kindred
Sumimasen, Boku wa zen zen wakarimasen deshite ne.
Ivan Karpenku
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Ivan Karpenku »

Loremaster wrote:I am taking my pc in for repairs on Saturday. Until then there is nothing I can do, sorry. I cannot say that this has taught me a lesson to back up more often - I do, but that I didn't do it more recently.
I was about to start up a PayPal account on your behalf, and start collecting donations for a USB hard drive so you can have perpetual mirroring running.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Ivan Karpenku wrote:
Loremaster wrote:I am taking my pc in for repairs on Saturday. Until then there is nothing I can do, sorry. I cannot say that this has taught me a lesson to back up more often - I do, but that I didn't do it more recently.
I was about to start up a PayPal account on your behalf, and start collecting donations for a USB hard drive so you can have perpetual mirroring running.
That's a very thoughtful and kind thing to do, Ivan. I appreciate that, but it won't be necessary; I'm backing up my pc every week now.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Great news; I just found a backup dvd containing all my V:tR data. Now the character sheets are not up to date, but I have the campaign information.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Loremaster wrote:Great news; I just found a backup dvd containing all my V:tR data. Now the character sheets are not up to date, but I have the campaign information.

The story arcs in this game is so good. I'm so happy you found your data to continue on with them.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Ha now i just realised how pointless asking you what my Vitae was earlier *shame face*
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

My pc is fixed - the graphics card had died - so I am leaving soon to pick it up. However, due to my epilepsy, I have been having a lot of seizures, so I will have to be careful.

Anyway, my harddrive is undamaged and the system boots up fine. Will backup everything when I get home.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Loremaster wrote:My pc is fixed - the graphics card had died - so I am leaving soon to pick it up. However, due to my epilepsy, I have been having a lot of seizures, so I will have to be careful.
|G
You know you best.
Stop if/whenever you need to.
Loremaster wrote:Anyway, my harddrive is undamaged and the system boots up fine. Will backup everything when I get home.
w00t! :biggrin:

I'm really glad to hear you didn't lose any of your alien world building.
Maddoc
Woodhelvennin

Post by Maddoc »

Bullet dodged. Nice, man, nice.

Return to “Vampire: Requiem”