Vampire: The Requiem - The Council of the Primogen

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Loredoctor
Lord

Vampire: The Requiem - The Council of the Primogen

Post by Loredoctor »

Theoretically, a primogen is the oldest vampire of his clan, and serves as a representative and voice for the clan in city affairs. In the modern era, the officeholder is usually decided within the clan proper by voting, violence or someone higher up giving the orders, rather than simply comparing ages. Primogen traditionally make up a council that is the second most powerful institution in the city after the Princedom. The power of the primogen varies with the power of the vampires that make it up, in some cities they are a rubberstamp for the prince, in other cities they manage all affairs.
This is really just a fancy way of giving a name for a general discussion thread. If the Primogen act as the advisory council to the Prince, and I may be likened to the storyteller (who is controlling all the npcs - including the Prince, until someone takes control one night . . .). I thought the players might like to have a thread where they could just let me (and each) know what they thought (and general banter).
Last edited by Loredoctor on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Well my idea was for a guy kinda like Robert Johnson. Musician strung out and down on his luck, getting lost in booze and heading down to the crossroads to sell his soul to the devil. Only the devil isnt what was there to meet him.

I can make it work in any setting really, but thats kinda why i was steering it towards the south :P

What do you think of that idea for a character Lore?

By the way loving all your ideas. Real cool stuff. Im getting rather excited
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Steer him south, he comes north. Either way he works for me. I know whatever you do, Dorian, you do well.

A Menolly sighting in my forum. Welcome, Menolly. ;)
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

I just had a think about it, and decided he can work wherever you put him. he can be a touring musician, and theres nothing a muso fears more then running out of all his luck and coin when away on tour. Broke and in no mans land. Makes the character work even better really.

Just watched crossroads again cause of this idea. Cant wait
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Loremaster wrote:A Menolly sighting in my forum. Welcome, Menolly. ;)

Thanks for the singular welcome, Lore. I've been lurking from the start of the discussion. This concept fascinates me, but again, the rules fly over my head, and there aren't even that many yet.

...not to mention I don't think my role playing is up to this...

I'll do my traditional lurking on the public boards and occasionally commenting, if that is allowed...

I did mention this game to Shadow Strike via messenger. Hopefully that will encourage him to return to the Watch. We'll see...
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Lurk away, Menolly. I'd be honoured for you to read what transpires here. And you are more than welcome to comment. It's going to be great. Thanks for trying to get Shadowstrike involved.

Nice ideas, Dorian. Just remember that Kindred are predators. And when he comes into a city he's entering as a stranger, into a realm of predators. But then again, all the player characters will be new.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

My idea is...a socialite....descendant fo White Russians....very high society mover and shaker....more details meant for ST eyes only, adn we'll hash out what is common knowledge
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

I must admit im a tad gutted that they got rid of the Toreadore. Daeva are similar I guess. But still.

I always hate choosing clans. Too many choices!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Toreador still exist, but as a bloodline of one of the clans.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

At this stage all I know is that I definitely won't be a Gangrel and I probably won't be a Ventrue. That doesn't make the choice that much easier. :D
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I am in the process of scribing (which is exactly what the process is) the character creation rules to a thread. I expect that by the end of the weekend I will be largely finished. However, as I have yet to finish the Vampire rulebook the discipline information may take a while - sorry.

Anyway, I have some good news. White Wolf have editable pdf character sheets available. If you pm me your email address I can email you a copy, which makes it easy to create you kindred characters and send them back to me (and for me to edit them as the campaign progresses).

Edit: VS, you might just have to select a bloodline. It seems you have a good grasp of the game so they wont complicate it for you.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I would only play Ventrue if I could play the Malkovian Bloodline, and I might be interested in playing a Bloodline if I were to play Daeva.

My problem is that information on the actual gameplay advantages and disadvantages of choosing a Bloodline (rather than just a Clan) seems a little light on the ground. Do you know of anywhere I might look?

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Bloodline_%28VTR%29

This is the best I can find, but I can certainly offer advice from the rulebook. Please note that the only books I have, so far are (aside the main rule book):

The Invictus
Night Horrors (deals with the Telamones)
Damnation City (no bloodlines).

I plan to purchase Ordo Dracul and Lancea Sanctum, which will open up more bloodlines, but things will probably get very complex and that will be too late then.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Invictus deals with one Bloodline I am interested in (it's Daeva, see if you can figure out which one - just PM me your guess ;)) and the Rulebook deals with another (Ventrue this time), so I just need to learn more about the Mekhet Bloodline that I like.

Didn't I vote no on Bloodlines? :D

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I realise you voted 'no' but I'm just trying to tempt you, sir. ;) :lol:
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Well I am tempted, that's for sure. :D

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Call me Mephistopheles. :lol:

I don't want players new to Vampire to worry - bloodlines really don't complicate things. They are just offshoots of the five clans. Just think of them as descendants of the 'families'.

Note that each bloodline, based on the originating clan, specifies two favoured attributes at character creation. A player selects one of these where he can place an additional dot in the trait.

Gangrel - Bruja (think of a biker gang) (disciplines: Animalism, Protean, Resilience, Vigor) (weakness: harder to resist feeding frenzy).

Nosferatu - Burakumin (disciplines: Getsumei, Nightmare, Obfuscate, Vigor) (weakness: these kindred resemble decaying corpses).

Ventrue - Malkovians (disciplines: Auspex, Dominate, Obfuscate, Resilience) (weakness: more likely to gain a derangement).

Mekhet - Morbus (disciplines: Auspex, Cachexy, Celerity, Obfuscate) (weakness: can only drink the blood of the diseased and dying).

Daeva - Toreador (disciplines: Celerity, Dominate, Majesty, Vigor) (weakness: difficult to resist hedonistic impulses - if failing to follow their vice, lose willpower).
Last edited by Loredoctor on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Heh, they have additional strengths too Mephistopheles - additional supernatural Disciplines, or increased attribute or skill levels. Kinda like one extra thing you can do, and one extra thing you can't.

I have noticed also that Bloodline strengths and weaknesses are often quite specific, so they aren't necessarily things you'd have to think about all the time.

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

variol son wrote:Heh, they have additional strengths too Mephistopheles - additional supernatural Disciplines, or increased attribute or skill levels. Kinda like one extra thing you can do, and one extra thing you can't.
I'm still going through the disciplines. Give me a minute.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Alright. But just one. :twisted:

Return to “Vampire: Requiem”