Darkwood--Deepening Dusk

Moderator: Seven Words

Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Darkwood--Deepening Dusk

Post by Seven Words »

The gates are shut tight. No one has come out to try and stem the peril from the ruins. Marrik must have arrived hours ago. Jauron's factor recognizes him with you, and you faintly hear the clink of coins changing hands....and the gate is opened.

He has the promised rewards for Jauron's return with him. He looks momentarily nonplussed at the additions of Skyseeker, Led, and Darak. "It seems yoru company ahs grown somewhat since you were retained..."he hesitates, looking to Jauron for guidance, who replies, "Lonnes, they all worked together to rescue me from durance most vile indeed. Please, pay the newcomers the same rate promised the folk you first hired."

Lonnes Trevos gestures, and a couple of the armed guards, wearing the insignia of Swiftstar's company, head off to get three more bags of gold. They swiftly return, each carrying a sack bulging with 300 Gold Blades.

Lonnes explains the reason he was waiting, with hefty bribe in hand, at the gate, in a hushed whisper. "That paladin came in, adn Sir Pval declared him insane, raving of impossibilities, and had him locked up. The Brightly Shining is arguing--and winning--the right to see him. If he's crazy, she'll cure him. If he isn't......I'd really rather hope he IS insane. Ancient evils, the Dark of the Wood stirring, expanding?"

Jauron smiles beatifically, enjoying the obvious joy of the small crowd at his return..clearly, this merchant's success is based not upon simply "all teh traffic will bear", but loyalty and generosity. He has Lonnes give each of you a small pin, bearing his company's insignia. "This should open a few doors for you, and ward off some of the more unsavory aspects of Waymeet. Shall we meet for dinner at the Inn? I'll have the back room held for us."

Darak shakes his head. "Ach, I appreciate tha offer, but I best hie to me kin. As I said, all o' tha clans will be coming for sich a bonnie fight as this looks ta be. I'll be using me gold ta buy tha fastest means to me clan-halls."

The Shield says, "I will go to the temple. We have means, at need, to bespeak the Great Shieldhall, in Sverdhame City. It has been an honor to stand true beside such valiant folk"

/ooc--OK, everyone has 300 Great Blades, plus equal shares of the treasure from the ruins..mostly Darelline silver, as I recall. Go shopping. For those seeking potions, deep discounts are available at Missaryi's temple, based on Marrik's words. 50% off. Small temple, so not EVERY potion is available.
Last edited by Seven Words on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Whoa ... Beauregard had never seen so many gold pieces ever,,,, and in his possession! Too much to carry, he muses ... best to buy something with it, something less bulky lest Led make more mention of his prodigeous 'package'...
An almost embarrassed expression crosses the halflings face, and he bows. "Jauron, I am most grateful for you generosity and offer of dinner. I for one would never pass up such a promise of fine food. I shall be there --- after I relieve the burden of golden blades... <wink>"
He then places the merchant's pin on his cape.

And with that, looking at some of the others, he asks "Anyone else with to accompany me around town until dinner? I have need for some potions, a tailor and other things."
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

"I need settle Hardy and...Garvin," the bard says with a gentle smile, reaching forward to pat the neck of the mare. "But if you will accompany me to the stables first, I'll be happy to keep you company and do a little bargaining of my own before dinner," the bard replied, a devilish grin of delight lighting her face.
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
Let the sound take you away...
~
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus nods at everyone. "I'll come with you, and I would like the party to stick together for at least a little while. Besides Jauron, I am probably the only one here who can get us a better profit than what would otherwise be offered for what we have to sell. Of course, it's always possible that Jauron or the clerics at the temple would buy them for a higer price than I could get a normal merchant to agree to, but we should stay together long enough to split up the profit of whatever we get."

[ooc]Okay, besides the unspecified amount in the treasury room, the amount split up among us is: 72 Silver Sceptres, 9 Gold Bows, and whatever we get from selling the items we found... I'm assuming that we used the wagons to bring along the contents of the armory :P

We also have 300 Gold Blades each.

That sums it all up, yes?
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

"Mr. Trevos, can you tell me what has happened to my horse? Lord Marrik borrowed it to ride to town more quickly. I'd like it back now, if possible."

"All things being equal, I'd like the man himself back as well. If Sir Pavl won't help us against those who would destroy him, we have little time to tarry here debating the issue with him."

"That said, tiny Beauregard, I also would be glad to join you, though I'll thank you to keep a respectible distance between us. Unless you'd like people to think Laurel and I are a wedded couple, and you our child."
Geek the mage, first.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

A hearty laugh takes Beauregard before a wracking cough takes him. Still he manages to chuckle and comment. "That actually might be a better idea considering how 'little' people heare think of non-humans"
<wink>
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

As they head towards the first shop, in search of replacement clothing (Led's was torn up by all the fighting, Laurel has a bloody arrow hole in hers, and Beauregard has some dirty ghoul claw holes), Led gives a chuckle. Then a bigger laugh, that just keeps coming.

"Friend Beauregard, in all the rushing and dying, I'd forgotten how good it feels to laugh. Thank you for that."

"I think your mother and I are still a bit too young to have a child as old as you. Perhaps you're her little brother, and I her suiter?"
Geek the mage, first.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

The bard smiled between the two, then glanced down at herself as they approached the clothier, her brows raising in surprise at her unkempt appearance. As she saw the displays of gowns and courtly dresses, her breath caught in her throat. Even in the main city of her Ree, such attire was not commonly seen, and she longed to run her hands through them. But the expression of horror on the faces of the shop's clerks as she approached the racks displaying the gowns made her reconsider, after a glance at her hands. Perhaps a stop at the Inn first to clean up a little would have been wise, she thought to herself. Approaching the counter, she waits for one of the sales clerks to address her. A nice gown, sturdy enough to survive being packed away while traveling between wearings and a couple of outfits for the road, she thinks to herself.

An intense discussion seems to take place among the store's clerks. Laurel over hears the words, "man-beast," "song-witch," and "halfling," before one comes to assist her...
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

One piece of news that is on the tip of everyone in town's tongue concerns Marrik's treatment. It seems that as he was being elad off, he insisted that the kobold prisoner he had could verify his claims. Sir Pval dismissed this, saying such miserable beasts lie as easily as they breathe...and once Marrik was away, had it beheaded right there.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

Upon hearing such news, Beauregard's mood turns as dark as his health. Part way through the shopping trip with Laurel and Led, he excuses himself, and promises to meet for dinner at the inn with Jauron.

Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

"Interesting. Either Sir Pavl has some way of having seen us while we were at the ruins, in which case it's probably criminal of him NOT to head over there and defend his own holdings... or he's in communication with someone who was there. I'd guess this 'Savage' person or the like. I don't think we left any survivers, though. But Sir Pavl know about us and our abilities BEFORE we returned."

"Anyway, that kobold was Lord Marrik's prisoner, and under his protection. Killing it like that was akin to murder. I'd thought the man was simply ignoring the dangers, but now I begin to suspect he's actively involved in these plots."

"Laurel, I'm no good at convincing people to share information with me. It's my Heshic upbringing, I guess. I just assume that a person's sense of honor will cause him to act honorably. That seems not to be the case here... everyone is so timid and cowardly. But, before I get us all hanged by badgering everyone in this town, could you attempt to charm from them some information?"

"We really need to know how Sir Pavl knew about us before we got to town. He seems to be casting aspersions on you for knowing something of magic, but does he have any enchantments of his own? We may need enter his presence, and let our very perceptive friend Vynarkus see if he has magic upon or around him."

"But we just don't have time to convince the lord of the land to protect his own people. The enemy will be upon us in little more than a day or two. We need to rouse the guard and get there quickly. Hells, we might need to deal with this 'Savage' person even before the portal opens."

"In the mean time, I'm going to see if there's a Temple of Serloth here. Perhaps they will have knowledge that can help us."
Geek the mage, first.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Led Pighp wrote:"Laurel, I'm no good at convincing people to share information with me. It's my Heshic upbringing, I guess. I just assume that a person's sense of honor will cause him to act honorably. That seems not to be the case here... everyone is so timid and cowardly. But, before I get us all hanged by badgering everyone in this town, could you attempt to charm from them some information?"
The bard shook her head slowly, as the store clerk which was approaching rapidly backed away. She had managed to get her two traveling outfits and a nice presentable gown for when she needed to dress (although that necklace that was found in the ruins would accessorize it nicely; she kept no jewelry of her own) for going price, after hefty haggling down from a 25% mark up.

"I have not the ability to Charm anyone, Led. I'll have to do it the old fashioned way, and order a few rounds to spread around while I attempt to gather some information in the common room at The Winding Way.

"But first, I wish to find a bower, and make some inquiries into replacing my short bow here..."
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

"Dear Lady, I'm living proof that you personally need no spells to charm a man."
Geek the mage, first.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

The bard stopped suddenly at the scribe's words, causing him to walk ahead a few paces before realizing she had stopped. As he turned around to see why she stopped, his look would have revealed Laurel gazing at him intently, a stunned look on her face at his quiet response. Then shaking her head as if to clear it, she caught his gaze and ducked her blushing face down with a gentle smile.

The blush eventually receding, she looked back up at Led. Catching his eye, she caught up with him, and proceeded onward to the bowyer.

"How much?" Laurel gasped.

The eyes of the bowyer glanced quickly at the town guards casually lounging against the walls of his shop. "I told you. 250 Great Blades, and I'll give you a discount of 12 Great Blades, simply for your beauty..."

Laurel looked longingly at the samples of witchwood bows in the shop, then shook her head. Even if the bowyer was interested in her current bow, she doubted he would offer her a fair price in trade. Bowing to the maker of bows, she declined the offer. "Your workmanship impresses me, good sir. But not so much that a 25% surcharge on your goods seems justified. I will make due with my dependable "friend" here," said as she patted her shortbow, "and see what the next town I come to may offer. Good even to you," she finished as she departed.

Turning to the Heshic scribe, she asked, "Is there anything else you need? These two stops were all I needed to learn that at least here in Waymeet, the shopkeepers wish to swindle me most of the time. You seem to have had better luck in your haggling than I.

"If we are finished, I think I would like to return to The Winding Way, and see if either Ecevin or Ellys can conjure up one of these "hot baths" you mentioned prior to dinner. Would you care to join me?" she asked, with a wide-eyed innocent look directly at him...

"...back to The Winding Way, I mean," she said with a crimson blush.
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Laurel wrote:Turning to the Heshic scribe, she asked, "Is there anything else you need? These two stops were all I needed to learn that at least here in Waymeet, the shopkeepers wish to swindle me most of the time. You seem to have had better luck in your haggling than I.
"Oh, not at all. Most of what I purchased was from the Missaryi temple, where the one or two people in this town who are not swindlers seem to reside. But I'm used to being abused by shopkeepers here. You'd think that all Heshics reeked of filth and bile, and our very presence in a man's shop will cost him extra to repair."

"I swear, the more I travel in these countries, the more I feel unwelcome. I'd be inclined to blame proximity to the Darkwood as the cause for all this animosity, except that my family lives under the branches at the edge of the Wood, and we still remember how to be courtious to guests in our village."
Laurel wrote:"these "hot baths" you mentioned prior to dinner. Would you care to join me?" she asked, with a wide-eyed innocent look directly at him...

"...back to The Winding Way, I mean," she said with a crimson blush.
Forgetting his rancor about the ill treatment by the people he was about to risk his life for, Led considers the offer with a mischevious grin.

"Either destination would be pleasing to me."
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

As you all retire to the Inn, in advance of Jauron's promised dinner, Laurel has some words with Ecevin and Ellys. Drinks soon flow to all and sundry, courtesy of her largesse.

After several rounds on the bard, words are flowing much freer, albeit often less clear, than usual.

What you are able to discern is chilling.

While not clear on exactly WHAT Sir Pval knew in advance of your arrival, the method is revealed. A bird arrived, one not marked by the usual tags to denote its origin. The previous words you knew of were from his distracted rantings upon reading it. One of the servants caught a glimpse of part of the message paper as it was tossed in the fire...it bore an odd symbol or seal upon it...some kind of purple, red, black, and green pattern. What stuck most in her mind, however, were the 2 or 3 characters she saw before they were consumed...they were so beautiful, and flowing....elven lettering. Her family has an heirloom dagger, from an elf her 5xgreat grandfather saved from marauding lizardmen near the Reek, and it has the same pretty letters on the sheath inscribed.

Pval sent birds of his own out...two flew south, and five wet. None to the east, which is from whence the mystery bird arrived.

Jauron's long-standing reputation of honesty and generosity is at odds with the less than joyful reception his return has received. The reasons behind this are being debated, as he has always paid the taxes and dues in full. Even went so far as once to turn in a team master who was smuggling unbeknownst to the excisemen.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

A couple of hours, and several Great Blades (ouch!) later, the bard tiredly slides in next to the group. "Apparently there are large ears and loose tongues here, even when the rounds aren't quite so forthcoming. A few hours before we arrived, although it is not certain if this happened before or after Marrik arrived, a serving wench here was overheard talking with her boyfriend while serving him. Her brother is a servant of Sir Pval's. Only bits and pieces were overheard, but the things most of the patrons here remember are "man-beast," "song-witch," and "stop them."

"It doesn't seem like much for 20 Great Blades worth of rounds," Laurel sighs, dejectedly. "But at least it is a start.

Casting a quick glance around the group, lingering just slightly longer on the Heshic scribe, Laurel stands and stretches. "There is yet some time before dinner. Now I am going to ask Ellys who I should talk to about getting a hot bath drawn, soak for a bit, and try on my new clothes. If someone could knock on my door when we start gathering for dinner, please?"

With that the bard gifted the party with one of her dramatic flourishes, made her way over to the bar to speak with Ellys, and then disappeared up the stairs, heading to her room.
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Skyseeker wanders in, features tight, scowling at the dark looks her ears and buld receive from the town guards, and half the other patrons as well. She sits, and is handed her wine by Ellys, who appears happy to see her, which loosens the elf's grimace somewhat

Jaruon enters the common room, catches your eye, and indicates to head for the back room. Marrik enters behind him, looking rather outraged, and confused.

Marrik speaks first, "I know not what Sir Pval is doing, but he has clearly forsaken the light. It took a spell of truth before he would release me....and he even went so far as to minimize what I said while the spell was active about what we faced, and heard...shouting me down in front of the council. Bizarrely, while seeking to diminish the perception of threat from my testimony, he sought to seize assets to fund an anticipated conflict, and as a punitive measure fro bringing this down upon us. I'm sure the failure of logic here is apparent. I managed to make sure all heard, under truth, that Jauron had NOTHING to do with stirring this evil, nor did Skyseeker. He was actually speaking of having her BURNED at the stake." Skyseeker visibly flinches at this last.

Jauron now relates his news...."Most disturbing...I had 12 pigeons. all save one are dead. I found out that anyone who keeps birds has, in the last week, had them either "escape", "eaten by stray cats", or "fallen ill". Sir Pval's coops have not escaped this, even. However, he has lost relatively few...namely, birds whose homes are all further in Sverdhame. Excepting his family's estates. This is dire news."

Skyseeker shrugs, and simply says, "I did well to avoid being actually spat upon, for the most part. Dodged also some overripe produce, and more than a few stones."
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus looks shocked at most of what is said, and winces sympathetically at what happened to Skysseker. He then shakes his head. "I can understand prejudice, even if I despise it, and what the citizens did to you is something that can be mostly ignored, Skyseeker.

...However, I have never heard of a ruler doing the things this "Sir" Pval has done." His expression makes it clear that he means the title as an insult, even though he is able to keep his tone from changing. "We cannot go so far as to attack him, but if we are able to stop the invasion from those ruins, Led's idea of ruining the town's trade may well be something worth doing."
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

barely audible from outside is a chorus of voices...the topic which has ignited the sudden, loud chatter is the fact that, "to allay any pointless concerns about unsubstantiated rumors and fear-mongering", Sir Pval and a Book-Ward Loxaran (ooc--title indicates low to mid-level cleric of Serloth) will address the town tomorrow afternoon.

Return to “D&D-Darkwood”