Darkwood--Deepening Dusk

Moderator: Seven Words

Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

A light, musical laugh echoes around the campsite, as Skyseeker steps out from her concealment in the undergrowth.
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Post by Barak Windblown »

Barak greets each of the companions as they join Vynarkus by the spoils of yesterday's battle. Everyone seems refreshed after the nights rest, though Barak still moves gingerly, as if his wound still troubles him somewhat.
Laurel wrote:"What do we have here? Is there still need for me to search those we fought yesterday?"
"The dead occasionally can still speak, if we know how to listen," says Barak solemnly, "A search may reveal something about the Halfling's kidnappers."
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Wrinkling her nose in distaste, the bard concedes to the wisdom of the older man and moves over to search through the stacked pile of corpses from yesterday's battle. Taking her time and moving slowly, she searches the clothes, belts, and pouches, as well as taking note of any distinguishing marks or dress customs that might give them a hint as to whom to seek information from at the end of their journey north, or even in the next town as they stop to supply themselves.

"It really will be useful when we will be able to determine when a foe is weak enough to take captive, instead of outright killing them," she thought to herself.

Search, Spot and Listen checks please, and well as Spellcraft and any knowledge checks, in case Vynarkus missed anything. Although I doubt that happened. ;)
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
Let the sound take you away...
~
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

While watching Laurel try to find anything else useful, Vynarkus attempts to activate the earring.

[ooc]Use Magic Device check, Activate blindly. Also use Deceive Item special ability. I don't know if an earring has to be worn as an earring to work, or if it can be worn as a ring, but I want to try.[/ooc]
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus looks up from the earring, and sees Laurel still working. He looks slightly impatient, then starts looking around for something else to do. After a couple of seconds, he turns to Led.

"Hey, Led. Do you still have that two-bladed sword? I think I've worked out how to do what I was trying before, and while it will take me quite a while to master it, I think I can achieve it with a small amount of luck."
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

[ooc] - Oh yeah... the sword.

"Yes, it's here with my saddle."

He ducks into his tent and brings out the double-bladed sword. He hesitates before handing it to Vynarkus. "Try not to break it."
Geek the mage, first.
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Barak heads over to where Laurel is searching distastefully through the bodies. He helps her as best he can, aiding in the lifting and moving of the corpses. Though he also casts his eye over the remains, he remains silent, primarily offering moral support to the Bard as she performs her grisly task.
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus takes the blades, points one of them towards the ground a few feet away, and tries to use its magic in conjunction with his blast.

[ooc]UMD check, difficulty 30, modifier +17, need to roll a 13 or better.[/ooc]
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Vynarkus' Eldritch blast lances out, this time sheathed in a blue-white corona. The area struck is rimed with frost. However, the warlock appears somewhat drained by this exercise.
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Barak jumps at the Warlock's display of power, one hand clutching at the tokens around his neck whilst the other makes a guesture of warding.

When he realises what has happened, he chuckles, smiling ruefully at Laurel. "So. Now I am awake," he says.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

There is nothing to further find on the corpses of your foes.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

With a shudder, the bard steps away from the piled up corpses and starts gathering dead wood to create a pyre for the bodies. She smiles as Barak shifts tasks and again assists her. When finished, she goes to the stream to wash the stink of death off herself as best she can, then approaches Marrik. "We don't have a cleric among us. Although these dead attacked us, are there words you can find within you to send them on their way to the embrace of their respective deities?"
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

"If there is any justice in the world, Zyrx or Darethon have taken their souls already. But if such rites are necessary for the Gods to embrace them, it might be a kindness for us to leave them unsaid."

Led stops and stares at the bodies further.

"These were hired murderers. They took money to wait in ambush and kill total strangers. I doubt not that they've done this kind of thing before. So... yes, indeed. Let us commend their souls to Zyrx's care, to suffer for all of eternity."
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Marrik shakes his head, dolefully. "Yet in their penance, as justice is meted upon them, we should hope that the Light will show them the truth of all thier acts, that they might find redemption in time."
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Barak grunts. "There is truth in your words, Warrior," he says to Marrik. He studies the pile of wood both he and Laurel had collected. "Perhaps we should leave them for the Forest to reclaim. There, they might do more good in death than they ever did in life." he muses.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

"Would not a pile of corpses lead to more questions than we're interested in answering, should anyone come across them before we finish supplying ourselves?"
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus shrugs, then heads over to the group around the corpses.

"I don't know whether or not we should do some type of rite to ease their souls' passage, but I do agree with Laurel that we do not need a pile of corpses nearby."

He stares at the corpses for a while, considering whether or not it would be a bad idea to do what he is thinking, then says, "If we decide not to burn or bury them, I can probably reduce them to dust by blasting them for long enough, and then the dust could be used to fertilize the trees, as Barak suggested."
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

SKyseeker shrugs. "Dead bugbears and a dead human renegade are not exactly rare here...the Dark Wood is less than two days ride from where we stand. Granted, a dead manticore would provoke some more response, but only in that warriors would be sent to see if it had a mate or offspring near here."
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Barak turns to consider the bodies. He regards them with hard eyes as he speaks. "The morning could grow long while we decide what to do with these, and we would be no closer to finding out what happened to your Halfling friend. If you would burn them, do it now, and let us be gone."

He turns and walks back to the camp, quickly and efficiently repacking his supplies and reading himself for travel. The he aids in breaking camp and helps saddle the horses.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led nods agreement. "The only fire I can make is with flint and steel. These bodies and the eternal standings of their souls concern me less than getting on the road and retreiving Beauregard quickly."

He turns back to his tent and begins to pack his belongings onto his horse.

Pointing at the double-sword, he asks "Have you done all you needed that for?"
Geek the mage, first.

Return to “D&D-Darkwood”