Darkwood--Deepening Dusk

Moderator: Seven Words

Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

[ooc] I'm assuming that we haven't gotten to the point where we need a map, yet. But probably soon we will.[/ooc]

Led signals acknowledgement of her message (tapping the side of the head, as if to say "I know"). He circles around the enemy party, looking for the point where he can make a charge at the hornbearer without having to duck past the bugbears.

Since this would be the ideal place for that third bugbear to be waiting in ambush (put the bugbear in the place you know the enemy will use to start his attack... in this case, Led is the enemy), he is very careful on the spot and listen checks when getting close to that area.

If he can get to that spot unmolested, he'll wait for Skyseeker to throw her javalin at the hornbearer. Then charge the man to finish him, if necessary. He'll grab the horn from him if he can, just in case.
Geek the mage, first.
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Post by Barak Windblown »

"Ah, Mistress. Again you seek to test my devotion. If it be Your Will, guide my hand, my Gifts, which You have bestowed upon me..." Barak speaks softy, almost under his breath.

As he prays, he readies his foci and reagents, loosens the hunting blade at his waist, loads up his sling and tucks it into the front of his belt.
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Barak's voice stumbles momentarily. He looks momentarily behind him, before his gaze snaps to the front and his posture tightens. Without hesitation, he moves quickly to Marrik's side, still continuing his all but sub-vocal prayer.

"A bugbear is sneaking up on our pale companion, there," he hisses, indicating Vynarkus with a raised eyebrow. "We must wait until our ambush is launched, or risk the Manticore. Stand ready."

Barak prays now that Marrik has understood him and, ears straining in desperate hope for the sounds of combat, he turns slowly to face Vynarkus and the sneaking Bugbear, his hands held ready.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

No sooner has the last word left Barak's mout then the melee commences!

Surprise round

only actions available to sneaking bugbear, Barak, Led, and Sky

then, initiative in order

20--Laurel
19--Led
17--Marrik
17--Barak
16--Sneaking bugbear
15--Human with horn
14 Skyseeker
10--Vynarkus
8--Bugbears

Led awaits the results of Skyseeker's initial attack....

The wilds-savvy elf suddenly steps off the road, dashing into the undergrowth and hurling a flaming javelin at the would-be signalman. (9 points). He survives the surprise attack!

Once he can see the target survive the fiery missile, Led shifts, hide thickening and claws extending while charging forward to rend and tear! (8 points) This proves more than he can take, and the musician screams as he collapses clutching at the massive wounds inflicted by the razor claws of the scout! His scream dies before it even reaches full volume as Led's other cuts through his neck, striving to avoid drawing the attention of the still-missing manticore.

Barak casts a Silent Magic Missile at the bugbear sneaking up on Vynarkus. (6 points)

The bugbear hurls a dagger at Vynarkus, the blade sinking home in his back (6 points) Vynarkus wavers unsteadily, before slumping down, head lolling. The savage creature draws another dagger and turns towards the young bard, murderous intent evident in the horrific rictus of glee on its face.

/ooc---map will be up later, my apologies for the delay.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led looks up from the body of the fallen human, a feral gleam in his eyes. He looks to the north and spots a bugbear standing by a tree, probably hidden from the road.

Crouching low, he surges from the human's body and charges directly at the beast. Though he gives no battle cry, his facial expression is one of pleasure, almost childlike glee at the carnage he's wrought... and is about to create. The bugbear sees this, but has only a moment to blanch before Led is upon him.

[ooc] - 2nd round shifting
1 square northeast
3 squares north
Charge -> claw / claw
Geek the mage, first.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Spinning to her left, Laurel sees the creature eyeing her with malicious intent. Darting behind the cover of the tree behind her, she trains her arrow upon the bugbear, then launches into song. The young bard hopes her friends can hear her, but if not, she will take heart from her song herself.
Gone are the days when freedom shone
now blood and steel meet bone
In the light of the battle’s way
the sands of time will shake

How proud our soldiers stand
with mace and chain in hand
Sound of charge into glory
ride over the top of their vanguished pride

Victory
Victory oooh
Victory
Victory oooh
Victory
Victory oooh
Victory
Victory oooh

To the battle we ride
we crossed a starlit sky
No space no time
we’ll catch the wind

Strange losses, men died
we crossed a starlit sky
And still no space and time
we’ll catch the wind
[ooc]2 squares north
1 square east
sing to Inspire Courage[/ooc]
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
Let the sound take you away...
~
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

The time for silence clearly past, Barak speaks aloud words of power, sending more force at the Bugbear now advancing on Laurel

(ooc: cast Magic Missile at the same Bugbear as last round)
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

The mystic lyrics of the bard carry far, well-trained and practiced lungs projecting powerfully.

The northernmost bugbear manages to avoid Led's first attack, but the second sinks home as twisting away from the first left the beast unable to move away from the second. (10 points)

Marrik steps onto the road, before charging at the bugbear menacing Laurel. However, the creatures dagger manages to just deflect the paladin's enchanted axe.

Barak unleashes another 2 Magic Missiles, which unerringly blast into the bugbear. The savage monster howls in pain as the mystic power sears it. (8 points)

Dagger and hand-axe working in tandem, the bugbear turns in frustrated fury upon Marrik. The adamantine armor serves Missaryi's Chosen well, turning dire strikes into scarce more than scratches (2 points and 1 point)

Skyseeker is taken slightly aback by Led's sudden charge, thinking, "That certainly wasn't the plan" before quickly supporting the shifter's assault. She runs to the northeast, ending up 10' to the east of Led and hurling a javelin at his target. It traces a blazing arc terminating int eh bugbear's shoulder. (12 points) He uses one hand to yank it out and toss it aside, before securing his grip on his massive Great Axe preparing to retaliate on the clawed enemy before him.

The unwounded bugbear moves tactically, southeast, then northeast, pinning Led between himself and his wounded companion. Despite the flanking maneuver, he is unable to land his blow upon the elusive scout. The bloodied bugbear is somewhat more motivated by pain and anger, and does land a blow, sending his oversized Great Axe crashing through Led's defenses. (16 points)
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Continuing to sing, the bard takes a five foot step to the west, then let's an arrow fly towards the bugbear fighting with Marrik. Nocking another arrow in place, she quickly ducks back behind the tree.
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

As the physical axe cuts through his physical form, the pain of the injury cuts through the red haze of his frenzy. Led glances down at yet another great axe touching his spleen and realizes that he should be leading these bugbears to the rest of the party, not standing between them getting chopped to bits.

He glances at Skyseeker, says "RUN!" and then follows his own advice.

[ooc] - Third round of shift.
Withdraw action - full round, no attack.

No opportunity attacks from either bugbear for leaving my space. Move southeast and continue away from the fight scene. I *WILL* receive an AoO from the southern bugbear when I leave my second square.
Move 16 squares total, generally southeast. Keep going south towards the party. Go around the eastern edge of the large collection of boulders. I'm not sure of what the movement comes to, so I'll let you work out the actual placement.

(Assuming that she does run on his turn, he'll head southeast so that he's not seperated from her. Since Led beat her on init, but both go before the bugbears, I'm kind of assuming that Sky and Led can follow the same path and not get split up.)
Geek the mage, first.
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

His hands glowing with power, sweat beginning to form at his temples, Barak sends more force to strike at the Bugbear engaged in combat with Marrik.

(OoC: Barak casts magic missile at the Bugbear fighting Marrik)
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Laurel sees her arrow fly wide of the bugbear as she withdraws behind her cover.

Led slips away, the final blow from the unwounded bugbear coming within inches of his head, then dashing off.

Skyseeker takes off after Led, leaping up and whirling to hurl a hand axe at the bugbear before landing in-stride and continuing after the shifter. ( 9 points)

Marrik's axe powers through the defensive patter of the bugbear's dagger, slashing into it's side. (9 points)

Barak's mystic bolts again flit across the roadway, careening into the bugbear, these missiles proving to be too much, as the creature's body collapses, smoke rising from the sorcerous blast-marks upon it. (9 points)

The bugbear which so nearly hewed Led seeks to take the shorter route to the road, around the other side of the boulders. The sorely wounded one is mindful of the damage he's suffered, and goes over and picks up the horn.
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Seeing the Bugbear fall, Barak gives a short grunt of satisfaction. He moves out onto the verge of the road, his gaze first flicking to the north in search of Sky, Led or persuing Bugbears.

(OoC: Barak moves three squares east, and does spot check to the north of his position, to see what he can see...)
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

As the bugbear drops, Laurel continues to sing and starts moving towards Vynarkus to see what manner of injury felled him.

[ooc]Two move actions, for a total of 50' to the southwest (total of 7 squares diagonally so I wind up to the northwest of Vynarkus). Although I know ~OoC~ it is a sleeping poison affecting Vynarkus, I don't think Laurel knows that ~IC,~ so Heal Check please, once I'm at Vynarkus' side.[/ooc]
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Hearing no sounds of an approaching Bugbear, Led glances back over his shoulder to check on Skyseeker. He can just make her out around the curve of the boulders, with no sign of pursuit.

He comes to a halt, with his back to the rocks to his north, grabs a potion from off his belt. Keeping an eye back towards where he came, he quaffs the potion quickly as Skyseeker passes him.

We're supposed to be luring the bugbears back to the party. Why aren't they following us? Maybe they're trying to flank us around the other side, or by the road?

He turns and skirts along the southern edge of the rocks, going due west to see if there's one creaping around that side. He makes no effort to hide his presence as he does this... the intent is to attact their attention at this point.

[ooc] - Fourth round shifted
Standard Action - drink potion
Move Action - 40' to the west
Listen and spot checks as appropriate
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Laurel rushes to Vynarkus' side, only to find the warlock shaking his head an regaining his feet.

Led drinks his healing potion ( heal 13 points) and moves west, comes around the boulders, and sees a single bugbear, glancing back over its shoulder at someone or something, before it heads towards him, massive Great Axe upheld as it prepares to charge him!

Skyseeker sees the wounded bugbear lifting the horn, and reverses while hurling her last javelin in desperation. It flies true, killing and pinning the bugbear to the ground , wreathed in flames, horn unwinded. (11 Points)

No sooner does the bugbear die then a faint rush of wings can be heard by Led and Skyseeker...but anyone looking north can see....the Manticore is coming!

ooc--Vyn, post what you're doing, and I will edit it in, like Baraks' spell (assuming he casts one)

Marrik runs quickly, urgently trying to get to Led.

Barak can clearly see the Manticore over the treetops...as can everyone else. (ooc--as you stated wanting to look out North, you can cast a spell yet this round. Either at Bubgbear or Manticore)

The charging bugbear swings powerfully, but misses Led!

Vynarkus sends his blast ravening down the road, striking the approaching manticore. ( 8 points)

Barak incants another Magic Missile spell, and again two mystic projectiles streak forth and strike home. ( 7 points)
Last edited by Seven Words on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

[ooc] - As a point of clarification, WHERE over the treetops is the Manticore? Our responses will be different if it's hovering directly over Led's head, than if it's visible on the horizon.

If we have chance at being concealed before it shows up, we might go for that.
Geek the mage, first.
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

[ooc]First, I will write what Vyn did last turn, then what he will do this turn.[/ooc]

Vynarkus attacks the unwounded bugbear with eldritch spear, and then attempts to move to a point out of sight from where the Manticore is.

He watches the Manticore, and prepares to attack it if it moves to attack or uses its earring of invisibility instead of just flying overhead. If it does nothing, Vyn attacks the bugbear again right before the end of the round.

~~edit~~~

[ooc]If the surviving bugbear is the one closer to Vyn on the map, he attacks, otherwise, he will prepare to attack the Manticore both turns instead of just the second one.[/ooc]
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

OOC--sorry, forgot to send updated map for posting...the BIG red X will be the Manticore.
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

"Mistress preserve us..," Barak whispers, ducking instinctively at the sight of the Manticore. Then he refocuses back on the Bugbear attacking Led, sending more mystic force to attack the creature.

OoC: Barak casts magic missile at the last remaining Bugbear.

Return to “D&D-Darkwood”