Darkwood--Deepening Dusk

Moderator: Seven Words

Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led claws the remaining bugbear that's attacking him, twice.

[ooc] - fifth round shifted
Claw / Claw
Geek the mage, first.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

The bard stood singing as the warlock got to his feet, assessed the situation quickly, and sent a blast towards the manticore before she barely realized it was approaching. Her song continuing, she fought back panic as she moved 10' feet to the northeast, climb the tree to attempt to take cover from whatever the manticore might hurl her way, and nocked an arrow to her bowstring, sighting down the arrow shaft towards the encroaching beast.

[ooc]climb, disguise, and hide checks to find a well camouflaged sight in the tree to take aim upon the manticore[/ooc]
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
Let the sound take you away...
~
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Post by Barak Windblown »

Sweat now pouring freely from his brow, Barak moves his hands through their dance of power once again, sending more bolts of force heading out - this time at the incoming Manticore.

OoC: Barak casts Magic Missile at the Manticore. Sorry about the late post; I forgot to check for updates in back thread.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Laurel climbs the tree, hopefully unseen by the flying monster.

Led tears into the bugbear, claws a blur or carnage. (3 points and 4 points)

Skyseeker runs over to the fallen human and bugbear, pulling up one javelin in each hand in preparation for harrying the manticore from behind.

Marik steps north, then runs 10' to the east, charging the bugbear engaged with Led. He calls upon Missayri's power to strike down this evil foe, as well as leveraging all his might into it, sacrificing precision for power.....his enchanted axe strikes true...strikes deep, severing the bugbears spine! (CRITICAL HIT!!! 29 points)

The manticore flies southerly, before descending somewhat and volleying tail-spikes at Led and Marrik.

Marrik's nigh-impenetrable armor reduces the attack to the merest scratch (1 point)

Led avoids 2 of the 3 spikes sent at him, but the third strikes a glancing blow (2 points)

Vynarkus sends another shaft of mystic power to the north, again striking the airborne abomination! (6points)

Barak draws upon his quickly depleting arcane reserves, sends two more missiles out, now stinging the manticore! (5 points)
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Allowing her song to linger, Laurel screams out, "Once again it's time to toss the dice. The Wild Bitch is loosed!" as she draws back her arrow and lets it fly towards the airborne beast.
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus groans at how little effect his blasts have been having on the Manticore, but continues to attack it anyway.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

[ooc]

While it's off the ground, all Led can do is distract it or be a meat shield. So, depending on how it acts, he has two courses:

1. If it looks like the manticore is heading towards the casters, use a double-move to get over there and stand in front of them and soak damage.

See the section: "Soft Cover" in the section on Cover. It seems that an ally can provide cover to someone.

www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#cover

2. If it looks like the manticore is content to let our ranged attackers keep shooting it, while flinging spikes at me and Marrik... then stay far away from the casters and just keep it occupied. Use the "total defense" option here.
Geek the mage, first.
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Barak sends more force to strike at the Manticore, his breath coming in ragged gasps.

OoC: Barak casts magic missile at the Manticore. By my count that will be the last of Barak's 1st level spells. He has 3 2nd level left.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Laurel sends an arrow arcing towards the advancing beast, striking it! (5 points)

Led sprint over, placing himself squarely in between Barak and the manticore!

Skyseeker hurries, javelins ready, trying to get into range...she's not quite fast enough this round, but surely next....

Marrik runs flat out, armor clanging discordantly as he pushes himself to the uttermost, desperately trying to get into position to protect Vynarkus and Laurel.

The Manticore advances, volleying a full salvo of tail-spikes at Barak! Two fly wide, ones strike Barak, and three strike Led. (Barak--6 points Led--6 points, 5 points, and 7 points)

Vynarkus again blasts the tenacious monster, this time striking a telling blow! (CRITICAL BLAST--19 points)

Barak's casting is disrupted by the manticores spikes, his spell lost!
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led keeps his eyes on the flying monster, making sure to always stand between it and Barak. Since he's already here, he can actively try to deflect the beast's attacks.

[ooc] - Seventh round shifted
Full Defense Action (+4AC to self)
Provide Cover for Barak (+4AC to him)
Geek the mage, first.
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Barak collapses to one knee, blood welling ominously from his spike wound. Gasping in pain, he cries, "Mistress! Grant me your favour!", moving his hands fluidly through the gestures of power.

OoC: Barak calls upon Cerana's blessing and cast a silent magic missile at the Manticore, leaving him two 2nd level spells available.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Amazed at the power of her Lady helping her aim strike true, the bard chooses to allow her song to yet linger, and draws out another scroll. Reading the words written upon it and casting the power upon herself, Laurel believes her Lady will appreciate what she can do for herself, as well as calling upon her Lady's aid.

The spell cast, the bard nocks yet another arrow to her short bow, and readies her aim.

[ooc]use magic device check on scroll, if needed, to cast Cat's Grace (+4 Dexterity, especially attack bonus (Missiles) stacked with Cerana's blessing)
second round Inspire Courage linger[/ooc]
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Vynarkus
Giantfriend

Post by Vynarkus »

Vynarkus winces in sympathy at Barak's pain, then sends another blast at the Manticore.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Laurel reads the spell from the scroll, and her hands blur with newfound dexterity as she prepares to send yet another arrow into the horrific flying beast.

Led adopts a defensive posture in front of Barak, well-prepared to protect the mystic.

Marrik now moves to the west, grimacing in anger as he can only wait and hope the manticore comes lower.

SKyseeker scurries along, before lofting a flaming javelin at the Manticore! ( 18 points)

The manticore's earring glimmers briefly, and it disappears!

Barak holds his spell ready, awaiting the canny creature's return to sight.

Vynarkus is also unable to spot it's location. Cursing under his breath, he prepares to use his Detect Magic ability next round.
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led stays where he is, and searches around for any sign of the manticore.

Eighth round shifted
Listen checks to see if I can tell where it is, and at least keep between it and Barak.
If I can get a direction, free action to tell the others where (generally) it is. At least they'll get the 50% chance to hit it.
Geek the mage, first.
Laurel
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Laurel »

Unable to target the monster, Laurel picks up her lingering song and allows her voice to ring out again to inspire her comrades. Music has been known to charm savage beasts. This one responded to a horn; perhaps singing would pacify it, if not cause it to kill her outright...

Second use of bardic music to restart Inspire Courage
~Close your eyes girl
Look inside girl
~
Barak Windblown
Woodhelvennin

Uncast magic sparking like lightning between his hands, Barak searches about for the Manticore, trying to quiet his ragged breathing.

OoC: Listen and Spot checks, as appropriate.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

The manticore suddenly appears, dropping to the ground right next to Laurel and Vynarkus! It savagely claws at Vynarkus twice, tearing great wounds across his body only slightly attenuated by his heritage, before turning it's bite not upon Laurel, but rather felling the tree she is perched in! (Vynarkus--13 points and 10 points) Vyanrkus falls to the ground, horribly mangled!

Laurel desperately tries to escape the tree's branches as it goes over, (Reflex save DC 15---fail) but is too entangled and is slammed to the ground (4 points) (Will save, DC 12--succeed) She manages to shake off the landing, keeping her senses. However (Concentration check--fail) she loses focus on her song, the mystic melody falling silent.

Barak releases his spell, and yet again the manticore feels the burn of his arcane might! (7 points)
Led Pighp
Bloodguard

Post by Led Pighp »

Led hear's the crash behind him, and with a sense of dread turns to look at the noise. Vyn fallen, Laurel's tree fallen, and it looked like she did not avoid impact in the process.

But it's THERE. It's on the grounds. It's visible. And it's within reach. YES!

Ninth round shifted
Charge to the Manticore (the only obstacles are in my party, so shouldn't impact my movement)
Claw / Claw

[ooc] - Spend a willpower point to hit.
Geek the mage, first.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Led moves south, then charges in to melee with the beast..his claws flash, ironically nearly mirroring the rents across Vynarkus' body....Both strike, deeply. (8 points and 9 points)

Marrik moves around the fallen tree, next to the fallen bugbear before swinging his axe. He trips over the outflung arm of the corpse and falls UPON the spiked tail of the manticore! (CRITICAL FUMBLE---17 POINTS)

Skyseeker steps southeast, then runs 35 more feet south before hurling her other recovered javelin. The incandescant flying spear soars up and over, before sinking into the haunches of the manticore! (11 points) As the flames flicker out, a gush of arterial blood from the entry and exit wounds where the shaft transfixes it clearly evincing that this blow was mortal. It topples, still snarling in rage.

Return to “D&D-Darkwood”