Godsen and Koina (spoilers)

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Duskfire
Servant of the Land

Godsen and Koina (spoilers)

Post by Duskfire »

Just finished reading the Gap, and one thing I am curious about is the Wardens plan, particularly involving Godsen and Koina. Koina played a particularly important role in the end and you would have to say she is as much a reason for the Councils new outlook as Hashi and Morn.

However, what if Godsen hadnt died? How would Dios' plan have worked then? There is no chance Godsen would have done what Koina did and stood against Fane.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

The thing is, Godsen died died precisely because he stood up to the Dragon...
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

The logic behind Fasner's test was extreme. He told Frik to come to his office immediately, which would have spared him from the kaze sent for him. Frik chose to stay, showing loyalty to Warden, which in this instance (IIRC) seemed appropriate. I never felt Frik had turned, but felt that showing loyalty to Warden at that moment was more important.

Perhaps SRD wanted to show that Holt was fallible in manipulating people, but the Frik kaze was a big mistake. It allowed Warden to put Koina into a situation that, IMO, had to have someone besides Frik. Warden wouldn't have been able to replace Frik if he was alive. What would have happened if Frik had left? Would the kaze have walked into his empty office and exploded, or wandered around looking for him?
ItisWritten
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I'll have to look to be sure, but my impression at the time was that Godsen absolutely knew that his choice meant...[though maybe not that he would be dead almost immediately]...I thought it was the first [and only] brave act of his life. He chose. And paid. [a phrase/theme I continually find myself using in reference to SRD's work]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I think Frik new that his choice was significant. Even that it would bring down the breath of the Dragon. But he didn't know that it would have the exact consequences that it did. He thought he would get through whatever the fallout was.

So, in the end, he misplayed it, because he greatly underestimated Fasner.

As for the original question: I think Koina would still have done what she had done, had Frik still been alive. Still, Frik was a bit resourceful, he wasn't a total lackey, and he might have found some other way to change the course of events.

It's too complicated to even ponder, though.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

While I like Koina better than Godsen, I think Warden's plan could have worked with Godsen, as well.. As others have said, Mr. Frick found his bravery.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Maybe I had the wrong impression, but I had thought Holt's game was to have Godsen come to the Home Office so that the kaze would go off in his office without him there...giving the pretext for much ado that would distract from the scandal that Warden and Hashi were fomenting.

Frick wasn't supposed to die...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Savor Dam wrote:Maybe I had the wrong impression, but I had thought Holt's game was to have Godsen come to the Home Office so that the kaze would go off in his office without him there...giving the pretext for much ado that would distract from the scandal that Warden and Hashi were fomenting.

Frick wasn't supposed to die...
You may be right...in Holt's world.
But---Dios was making different kinds of "bets" on peeps. Holt only one.
And Dios was right. Godsen only survives by becoming pure evil [or pure slave, or pure idiot].
We can't KNOW, but I'd say Dios has a plan in case God is Holt's apostle.
[a more difficult/likely to fail one, but still]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I see Holt's planning as simpler in this case. Godsen couldn't be counted on to do Holt's will, so Holt got rid of him.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Cord Hurn wrote:I see Holt's planning as simpler in this case. Godsen couldn't be counted on to do Holt's will, so Holt got rid of him.
Yea...but that's the thing.
Very greatly simplified, both Holt and Dios [not only them, there are many layers and kinds and perspectives---Hashi vs Min, for instance, related but differences, subtle and not so subtle] have a "next man up" thing in their plans---but both are running short, and the end is near.
They both need people that are exceedingly competent---even the worst is among best, compared to average folk.
HOLT, though is playing the weakness/leverage/obedience game. They'll do what he SAYS, he can push them to obey.
DIOS is playing deeper, betting on hidden strengths, when pushed, they'll do what is right/needed.
Holt chooses tools he can wield.
Dios chooses people who will act.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Vraith wrote:Holt chooses tools he can wield.
It somewhat resembles the difference between the Creator and the Despiser in the Covenant books. The Creator trusts those he chooses, and the Despiser manipulates them.

The analogy is not perfect, I'll admit, because Warden is certainly manipulating Angus by replacing his datacore, forcing him to try to rescue Morn at all costs. But Warden became more trusting with giving Angus the freedom to choose, as the story went on.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Cord Hurn wrote:
Vraith wrote:Holt chooses tools he can wield.
It somewhat resembles the difference between the Creator and the Despiser in the Covenant books. The Creator trusts those he chooses, and the Despiser manipulates them.

The analogy is not perfect, I'll admit, because Warden is certainly manipulating Angus by replacing his datacore, forcing him to try to rescue Morn at all costs. But Warden became more trusting with giving Angus the freedom to choose, as the story went on.
I agree...there is a similarity/relationship that can't be ignored.
And differences that can't be, either.

Return to “The Gap Series”