Covenant VS The Dark Tower

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

The_Theomach
Servant of the Land

Covenant VS The Dark Tower

Post by The_Theomach »

Hi, I am new here and I am not sure if this subject has been tackled before, if so I apologize. Having read Stephen King's Dark Tower series and most Covenant books (currently reading Fatal Revenant) I can't help but notice the similarities between the 2 bodies of work. I know that they are more than likely just coincidence but here are some of the major similarities.
Spoiler

Both Roland of Gilead and Thomas Covenant are missing the same two fingers of the same hand.

The Dark Tower and the Arch of Time are very similar and The Crimson King is trying to destroy the Tower while Lord Foul is trying to destroy the Arch.

People from "our" world are transported to both worlds in nearly the same way; through dying in one world or doors in time (falls?) Also, Thinnies and Falls seem to be nearly the same thing.

Although I haven't seen ka-tet or any similar phrase mentioned in the Covenant books it seem Linden has her own sort of ka-tet.

Lord Foul and The Crimson King are very similar, although I doubt Foul will turn in to a spider (hopefully)
These are just the similarities that jump out off the top of my head, I am sure that there are more, though. [/spoiler]
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

First...maybe a mod can merge this one with the original posted in the general discussion?
Second...welcome Theomatch.
Third...Lord Foul will never turn into a spider 8O :lol:
Fourth...I'm obviously in list mode again.
Fifth...I'm gonna stop that now.
I'd really never noticed the similarities you mentioned...interesting catch. The ka-tet idea...I think that's one of the 'tools of the trade' in several genres, but very much so in fantasy. King named it, twisted from Egyption myth/theology, which is pretty cool.
Symbolically, at least, King Crimson...er...the Crimson King and LF do have a lot in common, though I think there is more depth and precision in Foul.
Thinnies and Falls though...not so much...there are a number of differences, but the one that really matters: Falls are an assault, and an expression of power [mad, uncontrolled power, but power nonetheless]. Thinnies are a symptom.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

As I said in the other thread (and a GenDisc mod has to do it, I can't), King's read Donaldson.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The_Theomach
Servant of the Land

Post by The_Theomach »

But which actually came first? King states he started writing The Dark Tower early on in his career. I don't think that one copied the other I just think there are a lot of similarities, and some of them didn't appear until later on in the series. True, King brought in ideas from other authors in the last 3 DT books, such as some concepts from Harry Potter and even comic book characters.
Drink up
Shoot in
Let the beatings begin
Distributor of pain
Your loss becomes my gain
-Metallica

"If you will permit the Mahdoubt one last word of council" --she gave Linden a teasing sidelong glance--" you will clothe yourself ere your companions attend upon you. Oh, assuredly. If you do not, you will disturb their wits."
-Fatal Revenant
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

Personally, I stand by the belief that there are no new ideas in fantasy. Let's be fair after all; both Tolkien and Donaldson borrowed concepts from Der Ring des Nibelungen, which originally existed in Norse Mythology... every fantasy writer reads fantasy, and every fantasy writer is influenced in some way by those things they have written.

IMO, of course. ;)

Brad
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
Cord
Woodhelvennin

Post by Cord »

Tena koe from New Zealand Theomach
Welcome to the Watch.

King in no way equals the emotional intensity of Donaldson (perhaps the closest is Wizard and Glass). I didn't see many similarities.

I for one liked the Drawing of the Three the best. But, for example, when the ka tet is on the Monorail, I was idly interested, however I was completely consumed when Saltheart Foamfollower and Thomas approached Fouls Creche, however.

I don't think Thomas will get to the end of the last book and get transported back to the start of Lord Foul's Bane.

The Dark Tower is good, don't get me wrong, but borrowing from other authors (and putting himself into the story) smacked of self indulgence and lazy writing to me.
Shihad
Fat Freddy's Drop
Katchafire

Return to “Stephen King Forum”