The dream cast......

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

DrPaul
Giantfriend

Re: The dream cast......

Post by DrPaul »

lorin wrote:Okay, so I have had the final casting call and my decisions are final.... :biggrin:

Covenant......who else? Hugh Laurie

Elena - Kate Winslett

Lena - Alyssa Milano

Bannor - Eric Roberts

Mhoram - Kevin Kline

Prothal - Christopher Plummer

Atiaran - Susan Sarandon

Trell - now dont laugh....... James Gandolfini

Linden - Julianne Moore

Tamarantha - Joanne Woodward

Variol - Peter O'Toole

Saltheart Foamfollower - Brad Garrett

Ok, so it's a dull saturday night..........
Hugh Laurie is an excellent choice for Covenant but would need to grow his hair long and stick it in a ponytail for the Second Chronicles.

Julianne Moore is perfect for Linden.

I'm not sure about Kevin Kline for Mhoram. We need someone who looks like he has been wearing the weight of the world on his shoulders for years (as in fact Mhoram had been doing by the time of TIW and especially TPTP).

Interestingly, Kate Winslet's expression in the pic chimes with what I have always imagined Lena to look like when she was smiling in LFB. Perhaps Kate could be cast as Elena and the young Lena, with someone else cast as the older Lena of TPTP.

For Bannor we would need an actor of East Asian appearance, strong build and very well muscled. A more heavily framed version of Bruce Lee, perhaps?

And what do people think about Anthony Hopkins for Gibbon in The Second Chronicles?
www.biography.com/people/anthony-hopkin ... 6#synopsis
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

DrPaul wrote: Hugh Laurie is an excellent choice for Covenant but would need to grow his hair long and stick it in a ponytail for the Second Chronicles.

I'm not sure about Kevin Kline for Mhoram. We need someone who looks like he has been wearing the weight of the world on his shoulders for years (as in fact Mhoram had been doing by the time of TIW and especially TPTP).

Interestingly, Kate Winslet's expression in the pic chimes with what I have always imagined Lena to look like when she was smiling in LFB. Perhaps Kate could be cast as Elena and the young Lena, with someone else cast as the older Lena of TPTP.

For Bannor we would need an actor of East Asian appearance, strong build and very well muscled. A more heavily framed version of Bruce Lee, perhaps?

And what do people think about Anthony Hopkins for Gibbon in The Second Chronicles?
I love Anthony Hopkins as Gibbon.

Ponytail? 8O lol
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I have to say that, after watching the Magnificent Seven recently, that Vincent D'onofrio would be an excellent Trell. This is in no small part owing to having also seen him in Daredevil.

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

If there were a Covenant mini series on HBO and we were looking for age appropriate actors to play these roles I get the feeling that many of the one's offered so far probably wouldn't work. I understand this thread is probably intended as an all era, fantasy cast with ideas like Bruce Lee as Bannor and Judy Garland as Lena but I've always tried to imagine what the actual cast would be comprised of if a film went into production today. Hugh Laurie would have of course made a wonderful TC if shooting had started in 1998 and still would be terrific as TC in the Last Chronicles but actors inevitably age and you have to re compute your selections.

Thomas Covenant: early thirties male actor/ medium to thin build/ expressive-intelligent leading man features but also possessed of an every-man quality/ Must be able to embody sardonic, sarcastic personality. Who does this sound like? At age 40 Benedict Cumberbatch squeaks in under the wire but realistically the best candidate would probably be an actor less well known and that's what casting calls are all about. You never know what you are going to get unless you toss out a net and see what turns up. Mostly dead fish and a rubber boot but sometimes you find just what you are looking for. :-)

Maybe one day we'll actually see a live action production of some kind. I'll be very interested to see if the creative team's vision matches with mine in any way. Sometimes actors appear perfect for the role to me. Being a long time fan of the character I was very pleased when Robert Downey Jr. was given the role of Tony Stark/Iron man. On the other hand after imagining what Darth Vader would look and act like as a child I hated Jake Lloyd as Anakin Skywalker. Sometimes things just don't work out the way you want. :-(
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Shuram Gudatetris wrote:
DrPaul wrote: Hugh Laurie is an excellent choice for Covenant but would need to grow his hair long and stick it in a ponytail for the Second Chronicles.

I love Anthony Hopkins as Gibbon.

Ponytail? 8O lol
I've commented elsewhere that Covenant would: (a) not really have needed stylish haircuts given his circumstances as a writer living in isolation with an income stream from his books; and (b) because of his medical condition would not have wanted to risk using scissors close to his skin if he couldn't see what he was doing. Hence between the First and Second Chronicles he would have let his hair grow long, tied it back to keep it out of his way, and lopped off the end when it got too long.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”