Second Draft of AATE

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Second Draft of AATE

Post by Orlion »

Just read this at SRD's website:
I've now completed my first rewrite for Covenant 9, "Against All Things Ending". At this stage, the manuscript is now 1076 pages (not counting WHGB or the Glossary). Just to put that number in context: at this same stage, "The Runes of the Earth" was 1032 pages; "Fatal Revenant," 1088. Not much difference.

So what happens now? The text has been sent to my agent, who will read it and decide whether it's good enough to show to my editors. Assuming that he thinks it IS good enough (I believe he will), he'll send it on to my editors. And sometime, oh, 5-8 weeks from now, my editors will give me the benefit of their insights. At that point, I'll start on the third draft. In the unlikely event that my agent gives me a thumbs down, I'll start on the third draft sooner.

At present, I've made up some of the time that I lost in the first draft. But now matters are out of my hands, at least temporarily. All I can do is wait for my agent's verdict--and for feedback from my (badly overworked) editors.

6/8/09
My friends thought I was dying due to the loud gasp I emitted :oops:
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Someone should tell him to start on TLD now, while he was these 5-8 weeks of downtime.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

rdhopeca wrote:Someone should tell him to start on TLD now, while he was these 5-8 weeks of downtime.
I suspect he really NEEDS that downtime. I know I did after I finished my book.
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
dlbpharmd
Lord

Re: Second Draft of AATE

Post by dlbpharmd »

Orlion wrote:Just read this at SRD's website:
I've now completed my first rewrite for Covenant 9, "Against All Things Ending". At this stage, the manuscript is now 1076 pages (not counting WHGB or the Glossary). Just to put that number in context: at this same stage, "The Runes of the Earth" was 1032 pages; "Fatal Revenant," 1088. Not much difference.

So what happens now? The text has been sent to my agent, who will read it and decide whether it's good enough to show to my editors. Assuming that he thinks it IS good enough (I believe he will), he'll send it on to my editors. And sometime, oh, 5-8 weeks from now, my editors will give me the benefit of their insights. At that point, I'll start on the third draft. In the unlikely event that my agent gives me a thumbs down, I'll start on the third draft sooner.

At present, I've made up some of the time that I lost in the first draft. But now matters are out of my hands, at least temporarily. All I can do is wait for my agent's verdict--and for feedback from my (badly overworked) editors.

6/8/09
My friends thought I was dying due to the loud gasp I emitted :oops:
Hooray! Seems like he's ahead of schedule this time, or maybe I'm guilty of wishful thinking. ;)
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Yea!!
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
inablackout
Servant of the Land

Post by inablackout »

Even though I am enjoying reading this final series, I almost wish I hadn't found out about it till they were all written, its killing me to wait another 16 months before the release of the next book.I guess it will give me time to reread the entire series, for the 6th time!!!
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

inablackout wrote:Even though I am enjoying reading this final series, I almost wish I hadn't found out about it till they were all written, its killing me to wait another 16 months before the release of the next book.I guess it will give me time to reread the entire series, for the 6th time!!!
Only the sixth? You're lagging! :read:
"Who enters here, do not lose hope / Who leaves; do not rejoice / Who has not been, shall be here yet / Who has been here, shall never forget" Anonymous / discovered scratched into the wall of a cell in the KGB's Lefortovo Prison in Moscow/originally quoted in the book "Alexander Dolguns Story" (by A.Dolgun),describing the ordeals of an American citizen falsely imprisoned by the Soviet Union from 1948 to 1957.
hoobie
Servant of the Land

Post by hoobie »

well this is definitely good news :D can't wait for the release.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Hey, hoobie, welcome to Kevin's Watch!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Post by Guest »

The first chapter excerpt can't be too far away now.

I say early to mid autumn.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

With FR, the second draft was finished in August, but the first chapter didn't appear online until the next April, with a release data in October.

So I don't think we'll see anything on-line that soon. There's still well over a year until this book is released.
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Awesome!!! :D :D

I hope he gets some much needed rest. :D
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

rdhopeca wrote:Someone should tell him to start on TLD now, while he was these 5-8 weeks of downtime.
:lol:
I am glad that you are not my boss...
:whip:
... nobody I know.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

AjK wrote:
I said "someone", I didn't say me! Besides, doesn't consumer demand drive sales? :twisted:
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
hoobie
Servant of the Land

Post by hoobie »

Orlion wrote:Hey, hoobie, welcome to Kevin's Watch!
Thanks! :biggrin:
Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

This is good news. Can't wait!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

One ... step closer ... much closer ... than before.
In the Gradual Interview, Stephen R Donaldson wrote:Perhaps I should have posted something in the "news" section. After all, I'm the one who first mentioned the issue of waiting to hear from my editors....

So. I had to wait about 7 weeks to hear from my US editor. My UK editor took 10 weeks. This is considerably longer than I've had to wait for editorial feedback in recent years. (Swine flu was added to the usual excuses.) But I've had much worse experiences. The editor of "Reave the Just and Other Tales" took something like five MONTHS to respond. The editor of "The Man Who Fought Alone" took more like SEVEN months.

At any rate, I'm now hard at work on what I believe will be the final rewrite of AATE. If nothing goes wrong, I should be able to deliver the next draft before the end of 2009.

What are the usual excuses? Mainly inhuman amounts of overwork. But overwork has an inadvertent secondary effect. Editors are forced to "prioritize" (a word I don't actually like), and so instinctively they give books that require a great deal of editing precedence over books that require very little editing. And in my case they both agree that AATE needs very little editing. (I disagree.)

A more obvious consequence of overwork is that editing tends to be cursory at best. I received a few comments about pacing and a couple of questions about story-logic: nothing else. On the plus side, both of my editors do want me to keep doing what I'm doing.

(10/17/2009)
sherifffruitfly2
Servant of the Land

Post by sherifffruitfly2 »

lol! It feels like we're all the Misery lady, all SRD's "number one fan", waiting impatiently for him to finish the next book.

:D
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

sherifffruitfly2 wrote:lol! It feels like we're all the Misery lady, all SRD's "number one fan", waiting impatiently for him to finish the next book.

:D
Look how well that turned out :)

Nice to hear he is making progress, despite the Swine Flu... but I want the book now darnit!! :)
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

rdhopeca wrote:
AjK wrote:
I said "someone", I didn't say me! Besides, doesn't consumer demand drive sales? :twisted:
Interesting point. Does anyone know what the consumer demand for the new series has been? I get the impression that the fan base isn't as large as it once was for TC books.

Good to see AATE is in progress! Can't wait to see the first parts released online. It's going to be a long year...
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."

Return to “Against All Things Ending”