Vampire: The Requiem - Old Town

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Loredoctor
Lord

Vampire: The Requiem - Old Town

Post by Loredoctor »

Please post in here for Stories relating to Old Town.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
James Randel
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by James Randel »

Face illuminated by the glow of the screen, James read the email. Who the fuck was Guttermouth? And how did he get his email? James was still getting used to the idea of an eternity as a beast, he had not imagined they got together for little gatherings. He hoped it wasn't some fucked up Gothic book club.

He found himself instinctively reaching out for the bottle of Jack Daniels on the table. He looked at it sorrowfully as he remembered that alcohol was now a luxury of the past. He spat a curse and stood up.

Fuck it, he had nothing else to do, may as well see what other scum lived in this city.

Pulling on some jeans and boots, and sliding on a black leather jacket, Jimmy Randel left his loft. The bottle store below was still open and he nodded at Stu behind the counter as we went past. That store had seen him through some hard times. Sadly James left it behind him.

Walking slowly, James meandered towards the opera house.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Ahead of James lay a wide street lined with two or three story buildings, broken or flickering lampposts and empty cars. Most of the windows were dark, but a few released a pale yellow light through broken and dirty glass. Almost every door was barred or broken, and no noise could be heard from any building. The street was smothered by silence.

Litter lay scattered about the pavement, and some drunks stumbled or crawled about in a nearby alleyway. A figure hunched over a brown bag coughed loudly and then rolled on to his side, facing the street. As James approached, he could see that the man's face was cleanly shaven but pale and pock-marked. He was in his early fourties. His suit, largely unmarked by dirt or grime, was covered in flecks of dried blood.

"Oh Jesus," he cursed with a groan. "Bastards. God damn bastards."
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
James Randel
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by James Randel »

James slowed as he neared the man. Looking at his watch he figured he had a bit of time to kill. No need to be early to some meeting he didn't much want to go to anyway.

He stood back a few feet from the man, looking for the source of the blood on his suit.

"Hey man, what bastards? You alright?"
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

James stares at the flecks of blood on the suit and is overwhelmed by the need to feed on warm blood. The man lying before him would be an easy meal . . . (Roll to resist frenzy (Resolve + Composure: 3 successes). Resisting the hunger, he manages to focus on the situation.

The man in the suit grimaces. "No, I am not alright . . . . Sorry. Thanks for asking. Got beat up. Bastards stole my wallet. Can't call a damn cab now. Help me up will you?"
James Randel
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by James Randel »

James didn't make a move forward to help the man. Crouching down to get a better look at the marks on the guys face, he smiled.

"Sorry man, you know how sick you can get from touching a strangers blood? Call me paranoid but with all this shit in the news about the new virus of the month I'm playing it safe."

His focus shifted towards the paper bag. "Names Jimmy. What's a guy like you doing in a shithole like this?"
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The man in the suit saw that James was looking at the paper bag and immediately pulled it to his chest. He coughed and wiped a shaking hand over his face. "Normally I would say 'a pleasure to meet you, Jimmy' but that would be a lie right now, as you can see. My name is Arthur Howell. I work here, or work in the pawn shop on Byron street, a few blocks away." He indicated to the southwest with a trembling hand.

Perception roll (Wits + Composure): 1 success. James notices a strange item in the paper bag: something made of glass and oddly shaped.

"Look," he continues, "could you call a cab or drive me home? I live above the shop. Make you mind up quick, Jimmy. I don't want to be around here much longer, if you get my drift."
James Randel
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by James Randel »

Standing, James looked down the road. The Pawn store was on his way anyway.

"Sadly Arthur I neither drive nor have much cash for a cab. I am walking that way though. Your welcome to pick yourself up and join me if it would make you feel any safer."

James smiled slightly and looked the man in the eye with what he hoped was open friendly face. Secretly he was studying the pock marks on the man's face too see if they were the result of sickness or just the scars of bad teen acne. James knew he would need to feed at some point, but didn't want tainted food.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Investigation roll (Wits + Investigation): 0 successes. James looks over Arthur's body, but notices nothing of interest.

With a groan, Arthur pulls himself to his feet. He dusts himself off and then picks up the paper bag. "I'd be an idiot to pretend to think otherwise," he laughs weakly. "Swap positions and I'd probably not want to help you up, Jimmy."

He glances behind him down the narrow alleyway where some of the homeless are gathered around a pile of wood and trash. "I tell you what," he says as he lowers his voice. "If you get me home safely I'll pay you. How does fifty dollars sound?"
James Randel
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by James Randel »

Starting to walk, James nodded "Sounds like a plan."

Wandering through the streets, strewn with litter, James found himself deciding against feeding on Arthur. he had been left alone for a few days and this was his first human contact for some time. Despite walking nearly a block in silence he found himself being glad for the company. And being newly sired, he still was not used to the idea of sucking on another man's neck.

"So Arthur, walking is much more pleasant with conversation. Tell me a little about yourself."
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

James and Arthur were walking along a lengthy street lined with run-down apartment buildings and stores with their shutters pulled down. An overturned mailbox had spilled all its contents across the street, and occasionally a car flashed by, causing the letters to fly in to the air. Eventually the pair reached an intersection.

It seemed an eternity before Arthur replied. "As I said, I own and operate a pawnshop. Nothing unique," he laughed. "Just the usual; just valuables that people think are worth more when they sell them because of the memories or the meaning they attach to them. I don't know about that or care, really. So they usually look surprised when I offer less money. Still, they always sell them."

They cross the intersection and passed by an empty shop with broken windows. James' companion rubbed his face and looked around. "You probably think I'm being irrelevant. However, I am talking about what I am; I shock people into seeing that their valuables aren't really that. 'Everything is worth what the buyer pays for it', my father used to say. So that's what everything is - just an object someone buys or sells. Even art. Meaning or personal value comes later."

James and Arthur crossed a road that led off to the right. Ahead of them were rows of shops - a grocery, chemist, fruit market, thrift shop and a bookstore. Arthur indicated ahead, "My shop's at the end of this street and to the right. That's Byron street intersecting this one. Anyway, since you have been kind enough to walk with me despite that you are being payed, I will let you know that the people who sold me this item decided the item was worth more than I offered. They robbed me, I fought back and someone got injured. Hence the blood. Then one of them hit on the back of the head and left me in that alleyway. I have no idea why they didn't take it back. I don't care; as it's now worth three times what I would have sold it for normally."

He stopped and pointed to his right. As he looked down the road, towards where he store would be, Arthur turned pale. "Oh Jesus," he moaned.

A tall, solid man in leathers and torn jeans stepped out door alcove along with a wiry man in a tattered suit. The wiry man had bruises on his face, and his learing smile revealed broken teeth. "Hello, Misteer Howell," the thin man said, "May we have our 'item' back?" The tall figure leaned forward and picked up a baseball bat, scowling as he stepped forward.
Last edited by Loredoctor on Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Randel
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by James Randel »

Stepping between Arthur and the men, James raised a hand.

"Gentlemen is there a problem? I mean really a problem? You see, I told Mr Howell here that I would keep him safe. Being a right and honourable man of my word, I would really really not want to risk breaking my word."

As he spoke, he tried hard to defuse the situation, whilst remaining confident. Sure, whilst James didn't want to tangle with the pair, he wanted there to be no illusions that he wasn't just going to back down at a show of muscle.

"Its getting late, surely the two of you have better things to do then roughing up businessmen. Perhaps having a few drinks at a club, enjoying the company of a lady or three, getting that award winning smile seen too..."
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Persuasion roll (Manipulation + Persuasion): 2 successes.

The tall figure spat on the pavement and tensed his grip on the baseball. Laughing mockingly, the thin man swaggered up to his associate and stood behind him and to the left. However, he appeared to be willing to listen to James, and placed a hand on the tall man's arm. "Don't fuck with meee," he said. "Weee outnumber you two to one. What do you want to get out of this? Just move asiiide, and let us take back what weeee want back."
James Randel
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by James Randel »

James laughed a condescending laugh at the battered man.

"Two to one? Don't fuck with you? Please! Your hiding behind muscle head here, a broken smile and a speech impediment. I'm hardly concerned about you. Add to that your stupidity in getting rid of something you seemingly hold so dear."

James turned his attention to the bigger man and locked his eyes in his gaze.

"What I don't understand is why you listen to this weed." James aimed the words straight at him, drawing upon a focus he hadn't used since he had tried to sell his early Deathspeil albums in interviews (Majesty- 1 vitae) " Your clearly the power in this pair. Why let him push you around? Stand for yourself. All truly great men stand alone. Look at him, look! Without you what is he?"

James took a small step back and regarded both men, still speaking like a salesmen on a mission.

"Both of you shouldn't be bothered with us. Go home, to your women or wherever. But leave this. That item is not worth t he trouble it would cause you. Trust me"
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Majesty (Presence + Expression + Majesty): 4 successes (note that Majesty * does not require vitae expenditure). Persuasion roll (Manipulation + Persuasion + Majesty Successes): 4 successes.

James suddenly becomes overwhelmingly charismatic. The tall man is caught by the magnetic charm, and his eyes focus on the vampire while he listens to every word. Ignoring the thin man behind him, he nods his head and then looks down at the bat in his hands.

"Hey man," he says with a laugh, "I'm just the hired muscle, so I've been payed. I ain't up for this shit now, and I need a drink." Throwing the bat away, he shrugs and steps back. "See ya, Fritz."

Fritz casts a shocked look at his companion, and then glares at James. "Greeeat. Nice. Take my moneeey and then leeeave. Fair enough; I'll deeeal with this one on my own." Fritz pulls a switchblade out of one of his suit pockets. "Now again . . . give meee that item, Howell."
James Randel
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by James Randel »

Watching the bat skittle off into the shadows, James was pleased to see the big man leave. He now cast his smile on Fritz.

"Let me tell you something Fritz. Your a lucky man. Why you may ask? Well your looking at a junky in the middle of the cold turkey program and I tell you what, wringing your little neck would sure make me feel good. But I'm not gonna do that. With me being in this transitional period I'm being a kind man and giving you the option to walk."

Walking towards the man, James raised his arms out to his sides, exposing his chest covered by nothing more than thin fabric of the tee worn under his open jacket.

"You see, guys like me don't have much to live for. I used to have it all, now I'm down to the lowest of lows. I haven't seen sunlight in weeks, and Arthur here is the first guy who's been nice to me in a long time. When your down like me, the idea of being locked up for killing a man doesn't seem that bad."

He stopped a mere foot away from Fritz, the blade tip slightly touching his chest.

"But I'm trying to do the right thing Fritz. I'm trying. Really. Fucking. Hard. Im gonna give you one more chance. Walk away. Forget about this, forget about Arthur but don't you dare forget about me. Go home, pray to your god, and get some sleep. Cause your a lucky man Fritz. I'm giving you a second chance."

Stopping to let the words sink in, James stared Fritz in the eyes.

"So what's it gonna be Fritz? You leaving? Cause if you don't you had best use that life ender there real good, cause I don't got nothing to live for, and everything to die for, and I may just take you with me. You wanna take that chance? Huh Fritz? Do ya?"
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Fritz smiled coldly and took a step back, the knife still held in front of him. "You know for a second I took you to beee smart. I would have thought it would be eeeasy for a junkeee to stand aside and let meee get the object. So this is where you stand."

The blade slipped into his other hand.

Fritz lunged at James with the knife.

Initiative (Fritz): 0 successes.
Initiative + Fast Reflexes * (James): 2 successes. James will strike first.
James Randel
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by James Randel »

As Fritz lunged, James flicked into action. For the first time in weeks he felt as if the blood was pumping through his vains with vigour. Spinning around the knife he reached around Fritz head, desperately reaching for the eye sockets to stab his fingers into. He may not have been the best of fighters in his mortal life, but he sure fought dirty.

Relying totally on his survival instinct he allowed enough of the beast through to help get his skin through this situation.

(1 Vitae spent on Celerity. )
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

James - close combat roll (Strength + Brawl -2 [Fritz's Defense]): 2 successes - 2 points damage.

Supernaturally quick, James stabs Fritz in one of his eyes. It does not blind him, but causes enough damage for some blood to squirt out. The force of the attack causes his head to flick back.

[/][/][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

"You asshole!" he erupts. Fritz again lunges with the blade.

Fritz - knife attack (Strength + Weaponry +1 [knife] -1 [Celerity] -2 [James' Defense]): 0 successes.

The blade misses James' chest.
Last edited by Loredoctor on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Randel
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by James Randel »

James continues quickly attacking Fritz as fast as he can.

(If it would be easier for you Lore, feel free to work out the entire combat and then let me know the result. James woudl run if he felt he was at severe risk of injury or death but will try and fight off Fritz as best he can first)

Return to “Vampire: Requiem”