Vampire: The Requiem - Riverview Asylum

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Khalida Mufarrij »

Khalida casts her eyes down in embarrassment. "My apologies, Doctor. Thank you for indulging my curiosity. The idea of cobwebs somehow being able to strengthen the weave is simply fascinating. Perhaps one day you will be willing to explain how a physical cobweb is able to strengthen a metaphysical weave."

She raises her head and looks back into the impenetrable darkness covering Montefiore's eyes. "I am still unsure where to begin in explaining why I wished to contact you," she says, continuing to unconsciously fidget with the key. "I am sure you will find this suggestion tedious, but it may help me to decide. Would you mind if we do a little free association, with me providing the prompt? Perhaps I can gauge where to start that way..?"
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Doctor Montefiore leaned back into his chair and regarded Khalida mutely. A minute or two passed, and then he replied. "I am here to answer some of your questions. However, feel free to use my library here to research. I am a busy man. Although there is a price."
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

"Thank you doctor. I am unsure of what journals, manuals, or texts would be of us to me, but the offer to use your library is a generous one and I am sure something will be found that would be of help."

Khalida reaches in to her clutch to withdraw the letter, then again leans forward, offering both the letter and key to the doctor. "I will start with the most obvious association I have then that pointed me in your direction. My hope is perhaps these will encourage you to satisfy my curiosity further, although it may be a breach of patient-doctor confidentiality.

"If you can, please begin with this. The Emma Saint who wrote this letter now in your hand. Is she still a patient here? And if not, how long ago was she admitted and then released?

"And, what is your price?"
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The doctor took the key and letter, opening the aged paper immediately with barely hidden enthusiasm. The key was placed on the table. Five minutes passed, as he read and pondered the letter. Then he replied softly. "Emma remains a patient here. She is in a catatonic state, I am afraid. So you will be unable to get any information from here. She had been mauled by a pack of animals, given the state her body was in - covered in bite marks. Horrible. This was several years ago.

"Now, evidently this key," he said holding it up, "is the means to enter the other world. I would hazard a guess that a loci is located in 11 Ragnarök Street, which is closest to the shadow realm than here or other locations. Fascinating. As for the Eye. Well, I have never heard of that, nor this 'Golden-eyed shadow'. Skoll I have heard about. Norse being - and some occultists here in the city claimed to have encountered it.

"Finally, the Walking Worm and 'the man covered in teeth' sound to me to be MREs."

He paused before continuining. "Oh, the price," he grinned. "I want some of your vitae - not for me to drink. It is for someone else."
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

Khalida listens to the doctor's reply intently.

"Doctor, I only came upon this key and letter a few hours ago. In that time I have received two phone calls which I believe was from the MRE referred to as "the man covered in teeth." Miss Saint obviously felt she was stalked by both of them. Is it possible an MRE could have attacked her physically? Instead of having been mauled by a pack of animals...could she have instead been mauled by "the man covered in teeth?" Or "the man with 100 hundred mouths," as I have also seen him referred to in the research I did earlier tonight?

"I know little of catatonic states. Would being shown the letter, key and who had come across them be harmful to Miss Saint in her current condition?

"There are occultists here in Lordenshaw who claim to have encountered Skoll? Then it is not only contained within The Other World?" she shudders slightly. "The letter says in order to return from The Other World, one must slay Skoll. If Skoll is encountered in this realm, could that be accomplished before entering The Other World, and then one can enter and leave freely?"

Finally, she looked at the doctor, then inclined her head. "I have yet to drink this morning, but am fairly full. In what way do you propose to take some of my vitae for this other? Is it a one time price, or must I agree to pay each time in exchange for occasional access to your library, should we agree upon me having further usage in the future?

"And is there a concern in my vitae being given to another linking me in some way metaphysically to them?"
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Doctor Montefiore grins again. "You ask many questions, Khalida. Maybe I should charge you a pint of your blood each time you query me; you would be dead by sunrise. However, I am in a good mood and enchanted by your beauty and naivety. First, it is possible that she was mauled by the man with a hundred mouths. The letter hints that possessing the key is enough to call forth the strange pair from the other realm. Or maybe, they do not want you seeing the eye. Or stealing it. Therefore, it is likely that she was indeed attacked by MREs. Second, from memory, Skoll is a guardian. The occultists were looking for powerful artefacts. Although I do not know where. Perhaps he is guarding the eye?

"Third," the doctor nodded slowly, "I would some blood to feed one of my patients. He has yet to 'drink' tonight. I may request further blood, depending upon the nature of the request. Odin discovered that, did he not?"
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

Khalida smiles seductively at the doctor's first comment. "I have only scratched the surface of the depth of my questions, Doctor. There is much I have encountered and am in the midst of discovering more as this night wears on. But I do understand you are busy and that I am unexpectedly taking up your time. I will attempt to wrap this up.

"There are two more things of the many questions I have I would like to address before we separate tonight, although we can discuss them as we walk elsewhere if need be. First, I am curious if you know anything about a couple of locations? The first is a town outside of Lordenshaw, called Sitters Town. In one of the phone calls, the MRE I suspect is the man with a hundred mouths suggested I go there. The second is apparently a mystical location known as "Urkash Hratha."

"Second, in the past week since my embrace, my sire spoke of "Covenants." She gave me some details of The Circle of the Crone, but of the others I have but the barest information. Are you a member of one of these Covenants, and are you willing to tell me a little of the one to which you belong?"

As the doctor continues, Khalida's puzzlement grows. "That's twice now you referred to Norse mythology. You said Skoll is a Norse being, and now you mention Odin. I am shamed to admit my own knowledge of the legends of the Norse is minimal, to say the least. Perhaps that would be a place to begin when I start researching in your library.

"I will admit to fear, doctor, at the thought of allowing another to feed off of me. At least, of another I have not chosen to do so myself. And I wonder why, with your patients apparently in mostly catatonic states, why you can not draw some blood from one of them to feed your patient, instead of mine. Perhaps the fear is unfounded; I am too newly arrived to Kindred society to comprehend all of the consequences of my actions. But, while I will admit all of the things that have happened this evening since I chose to begin to follow up on learning of The Eye and "22" are enticing, I will also admit to being scared for my father...and myself, if Ms. Saint is an example of what happens to those who try to defy the man with one hundred mouths and The Worm that Walks.

"That said, even though I hope to learn more of things in your library through research, I will also admit to you that I see it as a potential place of refuge, as the weave between worlds here is as strong as you say. The time may come when I may need that as I pursue this. If you are agreeable for me to come here, both to research and perhaps for refuge on occasion, I will agree to your price."
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Doctor Montefiore sat still as Khalida spoke, one hand holding the key and the other, the note. When she finished speaking he slowly stood up and walked to the door.

"I cannot answer these questions. It appears you want everyone else to answer everything without putting any effort yourself. You may avail yourself of the use of my library. When I return in two hours - that is all the time you have - I will collect the blood."

Khalida has two hours of research.
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

Casting her eyes down in embarrassment at the slight reprimand, Khalida also stands as the doctor makes his way to the door. "Thank you, Doctor," she says as she watches him head to the door. Holding her hand out, she asks before he actually leaves, "If I could just have the note and key back please?"
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The doctor flips the key over with his fingers, watching her from behind dark sunglasses. Then his characteristic grin returns and he places it on a shelf near the door, along with the letter.

"You do realise," he says dangerously, "that by reading this and holding the key you have placed me in danger. Think on that, and do not hold any pretenses that I will not exact revenge should any harm come to me." He then walked away, closing the door softly behind him.
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

Khalida's eyes open wide at the doctor's remark. He was right, she was extremely naive. The thought of having also placed him in danger had never entered her mind.

Yet she suspected the older vampire had means of dealing with the denizens of The Other World that she could not even imagine...

Walking to the shelf, Khalida again grasps the key and note. Rummaging in her clutch for the print out of results from her earlier search, she then casts her eyes about, looking for a computer or any method the doctor may have of cataloging his vast collection.
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Investigation (Intelligence + Investigation) roll: 0 successes.

Khalida scans the room - the shelves lined with books, the desk, drawers, and floors. There is not a single item of technology in the room, or a cataloguing system. All she can ascertain is that the books and journals are arranged alphabetically.
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

It seems there is naught to do but scan the titles and see what may strike me as relevant, Khalida thinks while expelling her breath in a quiet whistle of frustration. Although he was not listed as an owner, perhaps the doctor has a copy of "Of Unseen Worlds and their Denizens and the Art of Touching the Veil", or other relevant works by Sandy Monroe. If so, then there may be a list of reference materials in the back of those which may suggest other titles and authors.

Constantly referring to both the note and search results, Khalida scans the stacks of books throughout the room for anything on unseen worlds and their denizens, legends and folk tales regarding the local vicinity, Norse mythology, Maejin, Urkash Hratha, etc., as well as information on Kindred Covenants. Realizing there is far more information contained in this room than she could ever hope to get through in two hours, as she collects relevant titles she quickly skims through them and notes the title, authors, and topic of each one. Perhaps the doctor will allow me to copy the relevant works to take with me at the end of the two hours so I need not trouble him again.

Having gathered what she could and notated the stack she had placed on the doctor's desk, Khalida draws up one of the wooden chairs facing the doctor's desk, and begins to read, making notes as she goes.
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Research (Intelligence + Occult +1 [two hours]) roll: 2 successes.

Khalida manages to find several books after thirty minutes of searching - Veils and the Other Landscapes, by Hugo T. Mackerby. The Eigenworld, by Rufus Hotzenhollern. The Book of Dreams and Deaths, by the Stranger. Last, Psychopathy and the Hidden Mind, by professor Linda Rain.

Seated before the desk, she pours through the books - turning the pages - old and new - reading of other worlds and other entities . . .

". . . There is anothe realm - of the mind. It is a construct that is both social-generated and personal. A landscape reflected but not inverted of our fears and pleasurable heights. At once familiar and alien. In my journeys throughout the cities of Germany and Turkey, I have gathered proof of this . . ."

"The patient stared at the wall for hours, having finished the sketch of the golden-eyed shadow. Black, terrible things capered at its feet. Worse still was what he had done to his chest and arms. Using the paint and a sharpened piece of wood from his bed, he had tattooed two figures into his skin; a tall, impossibly thin man covered in mouths, and a worm covered in tattered rags. He died the next day . . ."
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

As the two hour time limit approaches, Khalida works fervently to note and quote what she could from the four books in front of her. Then closing them gently, she reverently reshelves them where she had found them, packs her notes into her clutch and straightens the area where she had worked on the doctor's desk.

Rising from the chair where she had worked, she makes her way back to the couch, once again sitting gingerly on the edge, fidgeting with the key while she awaited the doctor's return.

...and the fulfillment of his price for the use of his library.
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The last item of interest that Khalida finds describes the denizens of the shadow realm; beings born from emotions, concepts, travesties and objects in our world, feeding on the very things that birthed them. The book notes that they are utterly alien to life encountered in our world, and their minds are unknowable and unreachable. It is said that they live in a Darwinian nightmare, where lesser entities are devoured by the stronger, and that there exist beings so powerful that they could be called gods. Some of them corrupt the Earth - their dens pits of baleful green light that melts flesh and reshapes it, as well as distorting the minds of those that cast their gaze upon the forms.

Close to two hours later, she finds herself sitting on the couch, facing the opposite wall of shelves. Then she hears movement behind her . . . a slight scratching sound. A faint musty smell fills the room, and the room suddenly seems less colourful and more muted.
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

Gas? Khalida wonders. I agreed to the payment; Montefiore would be more direct in acquiring my blood than to attempt to knock me out unknowingly first...

Unsure of what was happening, Khalida rises from the couch and draws out her boot knife. Attaining a defensive posture while moving rapidly backwards towards the office door to await the doctor in the hallway, she scans the area behind the couch for the source of the scratching sound.
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Three bloated, black and red spiders - the size of small children - climb over the couch and advance silently towards Khalida.

Initiative
Spiders (15)
Khalida (11)
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

Continuing to back towards the door, Khalida fumbles for the knob while her eyes grow wide. Taking deep breaths to calm her nerves, she remembers her childhood teachings:

"Spiders are a benefit to have around," her science tutor once said. "Not all are poisonous or will harm a human. Their webs will catch flies and mosquitoes, as well as other pests."

Yeah, well, you haven't seen the size of these, Khalida silently thinks to herself. And while I haven't seen their abdomens, their coloration sure reminds me of black widows...

The webs all around here had to be spun by something, but the size of these!!!

Still, they must serve Montefiore somehow. Best to retreat and wait for him outside in the hallway, then to take these things on and possibly incur his wrath for attacking his creatures, should they mean me harm.
Grasping the door knob, Khalida twists and pulls on the door to escape in to the hallway.
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

As Khalida turns the door handle, the spiders attack - forelegs raised aggressively and curved, wet fangs extended.

Spider 1 attack (bite -3 [Khalida defence]) roll: 0 successes.

The first arachnid misses, its chitinous head sweeping short of her leg.

Spider 2 attack (bite -3 [Khalida defence]) roll: 2 successes.

The second spider bites her left calf, tearing into dead flesh. Her vitae leaks down her leg. Lethal Damage: X X

Spider 3 attack (bite -3 [Khalida defence]) roll: 2 successes.

The last spider leaps at her, grabbing hold of her upper body with long, black legs and bites into her shoulder. Her body shudders with agony. color=darkred]Lethal Damage: X X[/color]

Return to “Vampire: Requiem”