Vampire: The Requiem - Howell University

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Khalida Mufarrij »

Drawing nearer the counter, Khalida sees the librarian look up with a polite, "How may I help you?" Holding the Key in her upright palm, she replies, "I am interested in finding materials which may guide me to the history or known use of this. From what little I have gleaned of its history, I think I may have the most success in your specialty Occult section.

"Also, I understand the university has two copies of a work that interests me, Of Unseen Worlds and their Denizens and the Art of Touching the Veil, by Sandy Monroe. Is either copy available for public review, or are they in special collections where I must make an appointment to view them?"
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The librarian - a muscled man in his late forties - leans back as he searches the database. "You could have done this on your own, you know." He narrows his eyes. "Okay, we have one copy in the vault here in the Library and another in the hands of a Professor Daniels, just near Sneedman's college. If you want to look at the vault copy, you need to make an appointment."
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

"Thank you, sir. I am sorry to trouble you," Khalida says, with a slightly seductive smile. "Could you tell me when the next appointment to retrieve the book from the vault would be? Or whom I would need to contact to set an appointment?"
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

"It's getting late," the librarian said with a roll of his eyes. "Usually the vault closes around seven pm. We open it at eight am. Is it really urgent that you need to look at it now? Assignment due tomorrow?" He laughed to himself.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

Khalida allowed her smile to deepen. "I understand that sir, thank you. Are you saying I could make an appointment to reserve the book for 6:00 tomorrow night? Would I be allowed to check it out, or at least use it until the library closes at midnight tomorrow? I truly could not get here before 6:00 pm, and an hour would be such little time to look through such an interesting work," she said, her eyes taking on a pleading look.
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Convince (Manipulation + Persuasion) roll: 3 successes.

The phone starts ringing at his desk, but with a sigh he ignores it and replies. "Very well, you can hold it until the close of business. But you will only be able to read it in one of the study rooms. We'll need your name and a deposit of five dollars."

The phone continues to ring. "One second," he says before he answers the phone with a roll of his eyes. Khalida stands at the counter as he talks to someone on the phone. He nods and then leans over to a microphone.

The speakers in the library come to life. "Is there a 'Khalida Mufarrij' in the library? There's someone on the phone for her."
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

Someone must have recognized my car in the parking lot. I certainly didn't tell anyone I was coming here tonight, and I haven't been here in ages...

Realizing she had turned her cell to vibrate when she entered the library, she covers her surprise and grins at the librarian. "Well, you now know my name," she says laughingly, with a lilt in her voice. Withdrawing a five dollar bill from her wallet, she also pulls out her cell from her clutch, to see if there were any voice or text messages left on it for her. Handing the fiver to the librarian, she drops her voice to a sultry whisper and tells him, "I'll spell it for you in a moment. Is there an extension where I can take this call for me? Or is it alright for me to take it here?"
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The librarian takes the five dollars and places it in the cash register. "You can take the call here. We normally do not receive outside calls here, nor is it my job to be a receptionist." He sighed and handed the phone to Khalida.
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

"I understand sir, again. Thank you."

Khalida takes the phone to an end of the counter as far as the wire would reach so she didn't block anyone else from wishing to speak with the librarian. Raising the receiver to her ear she quietly says, "Hello? This is Khalida Mufarrij..."
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Khalida hears a soft static sound mixed with a strange buzzing - like a thousand mechanical bees or wasps, faint and almost imperceptible. Then she hears a voice, modulated by some device so that it sounds metallic and very odd.

"Kha-lida," the voice says. "What befalls the <static> when curiosity is sated? You look del-icious. So nice. Come to Sit-ters Town some time. You took the key. Bad bad. We will see you, the worm and I, before you rest."
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

"Do you have a name to be known by, man covered with teeth?" Khalida barely hisses into the phone. "And what, Allah be praised, is "Sit-ters Town?""
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Khalida hears static for ten to twenty seconds, and what could be sobbing. The caller then disconnects. When she places the phone down, she notices that another librarian is sitting at the desk. "That took a while," the librarian says - a plump female in her early twenties. "We cannot let visitors or students take so long next time. Okay, I have to lock the library now - it's midnight."
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

Midnight? It was just going on 11:00 pm as I approached the counter. It couldn't have been more than 11:15 when I took the call, and we barely exchanged a sentence each...

"I apologize, Miss," Khalida responds, covering up her uncertainty. "I doubt it will happen again on my behalf.

"The librarian that was here before, who gave me the phone, was in the middle of making a reservation for me. He took my deposit and my name, but I wasn't given a confirmation of the reservation. Do you see a receipt for "Khalida Mufarrij?" Or do I just show up at the scheduled time with my student I.D.?"
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The librarian looked at Khalida oddly and then turned away to consult an open ledger to her left. "Yes," she said with a brief nod. "You can look at the book between six to eight pm. Just come to this counter tomorrow and request the book. Stating your name and showing your I.D., thanks."
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

Khalida breathes a quick sigh of relief that the reservation had been placed, but she follows up on the length of the reservation. "Could you please check if there is a notation next to the reservation? The librarian who made it gave me verbal permission to use the book in a study room from 6:00 pm until closing tomorrow night. I don't know if I'll need that much time, but it seems such an engrossing topic and there is no possibility of me coming any earlier."
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

"All books retrieved from the rare books vault are read in private rooms. No question about that."
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

"Will I be allowed to continue to read it until closing, as the other librarian told me, if needed?" Khalida asks wistfully. "Two hours seem a brief time for such an engrossing topic."
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The librarian looks at Khalida strangely. "Unlikely; the vault closes around eight pm. You can read it again the next night, or read it during the day."
Khalida Mufarrij
<i>Elohim</i>

Stupid phone call distracting me from completing the reservation with my full attention...

"Thank you, Miss. Perhaps the other librarian will be here tomorrow night when I retrieve the book and he will recall agreeing to letting me hold on to the book until closing time.

"Could you please tell me the name of the librarian you relieved who took my reservation? If I can ask for him by name, it may help me gain the additional time. There truly is no possible chance of me coming in any earlier during the day..."
Whispers in the dark,
intimately suggested.
Influence unfolds
…”

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The librarian sighed and started to shut down her computer. "It's closing time, and I have to leave now - including you. But I can answer your question; his name is Damian Du Pont. He is on tomorrow night, just so you know.

"Now, if you will excuse me; I have to lock the place up."

Return to “Vampire: Requiem”