Valley of Eden - Guidelines and Comments

Moderator: Goatkiller666

balon!
Lord

Valley of Eden - Guidelines and Comments

Post by balon! »

I don't think of these are "rules" more as they are to guidelines. The game is yours, play it within these. But don't be afraid! If I don't say anything, assume everything is chill. :)

At the center of the Earth is a valley I discovered, after becoming lost in a crystal mine in South America. After many days of walking in the darkness, I came upon a thin crack in the earth. I could see it stretched many miles, the walls of melted obsidian, and let in the sunlight from far above. The reflections from the glossy surfaces were ghostly. Setting a piton in the stone, I let out all the rope I had with me. As I descended the crack, a threshold opened beneath, and my breathe caught in my throat.

To my great surprise, I hung above an entire world. A verdant green valley stretched for many miles. I could see dark jungles of trees, wild with strange animals noises. On each side were craggy mountain ranges, melting into the stone walls that stretched to the ceiling above where I hung. The center of the great roof was hollow, a shaft of unimaginable width stretching up to the blue skies of my home. I could see now that I hung near the wall, in one crack of many, radiating from the Central Shaft.
At the center of the earth is the Valley of Eden. Untouched by the world above, the Valley has never known climate change. No meteor has destroyed its great species and fire has never burned its branches. The only men to walk it's floor was the writer of the journal where I read of the Valley first, and myself.

We both moved among its incredible inhabitants, and saw many sights. Beasts from the beginnings of the Earth were there. The Terrible Lizards made the ground tremble. I saw Earth Spirits and Water Spirits dance. Tribes of intelligent creatures welcomed me into their camps, and others tried to devour me as sacrifice. It will take a long time to speak of them all, and the strife that eventually destroyed the Garden forever.

-----------------------------

Valley of Eden is a collaborative storytelling game.
That is the basic background. The rest if up to you and me.
The roles you'll be playing, and the ultimate goal of the game is open to imagination.
A few examples: a tribe of intelligent protohumans, an ancient Elemental or a surviving Dinosaur(s) from long ago.
The Valley is totally unique, so anything is really up for grabs.
Menolly wrote: So I am guessing we are the natives of the Valley, and that you as game master are the lone explorer coming across us? And that the game is free enough for us to be any sort of ancient being, or even group of beings, that would interact with you and eventually with each other?
(that about sums it up)

Plot Points (PPs) are earned each turn, and as a reward for achieving your goals in the game.
Plot Points are spent to create/do/inspire/bless/et cetera. These are for progressing the Plot of the game.
You can do almost anything with PP's.
Simple actions like changing a characters physical aspects or investing an object with power are examples.
But also other concepts like deus ex machina can be manipulated with PP's.
Actions that change the Plot more drastically will require more PP's than those which have simpler results.
But the possibilities are limited only to your imagination.

The game progresses by turns, each turn consisting of a Public and Private submission.
The submissions can be in whatever format you want, as short or as long as you want.
In Valley, you take some initiative in the making the story happen.
I only approve and suggest changes to keep things in relative balance,
in addition to the events I write to each player in their Turn Result.

Feel free to post stories to elaborate on any world-building details of your part of the Valley,
but try to stay away from things that move Plot. Save those for PPs.

Above all, remember this is your story! Have fun with it!

Together the Public/Private Turn submissions and spending Plot Points (in the submissions) is how you realize your goals for the Plot.
What is the Plot? That's each up to you, and to a lesser degree, me. I have a few ideas for my own plans, but what you want with the game is how you play.
If you need a hand with Plot, PM me and we'll think of one.
(I have a very active imagination, so a little daydreaming is usually enough. ;) )

As soon as this thread is stickied (or moved to a new subforum) registration can begin. PM me, we'll work out the details, and I will add you to the Registry.

Have fun!
Last edited by balon! on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Count me in.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

So far, so good. :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Some edits made and I'm ready to start registration.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I wasn't sure if we were going to be explorers or something. So we're deities?
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Fist and Faith wrote:I wasn't sure if we were going to be explorers or something. So we're deities?
All players will be natives (relatively) to the Valley. Maybe descendants of a long-forgotten exploration Company, but nothing foreign.

Are you referencing this?:
Simple actions like changing a characters physical aspects or investing an object with power are examples.
But also other concepts like deus ex machina can be manipulated with PP's.
Say you had a village of the described above and you wanted them to be more adaptable to the environment, say seeing in the dark. You could spend a PP, and write in your submission how:
a few of the members of the village had stumbled into a puddle of dark liquid in the night. It got into their eyes, and for three nights they were blinded. On the fourth morning, they woke and could see again. They noticed no changes until the night when, to their surprise, they could see as well as in day!

In Valley, you take some initiative in the making the story happen. I only approve and suggest changes to keep things in relative balance, in addition to the events I write to each player in their Turn Result.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

The concept of game play is sounding more and more like Purgatory, with the addition of Plot Points. I really enjoyed Purgatory, but The Overfiend had a lot of patience with me. Still maybe...

Let me see more details first. I don't want to commit and then back out because I get totally stuck in developing concept.
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Purgatory inspired me a lot, even though I didn't have the time to play it when Syl was running. I also prefer a little more structure, inspired by Pantheon, but with a little twist.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I suppose y'all are going to be wanting a new sub-forum for this? :lol:

--A
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Avatar wrote:I suppose y'all are going to be wanting a new sub-forum for this? :lol:

--A
Sure!

Thanks, Av-man. :D
Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Han-shan »

:LOLS:
I climb the road to Cold Mountain,
The road to Cold Mountain that never ends.
- Han-shan

We dance round in a ring and suppose,
But the Secret sits in the middle and knows.
- Robert Frost

Today was a good day. - Ice Cube
Cryak
Giantfriend

Post by Cryak »

:lol:
From a single Acorn, a mighty Oak

Post by Avatar »

OK, gimme a couple days. :D

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I think I know what I'll be doing. I should be able to register this weekend. :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

We could all try it, to test it out, but even if it's not the rule of the game, I will not do any OOC communicating in this game.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

I'm in....got my idea jelling nicely.

Post by Avatar »

SHABLAM!

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

:)
Thanks Av.
This will make this game much easier to find.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I love it! :lol:

OK, who's next! Come on folks, two of us revealed, two to go, and more players to be forc... talked into joining! :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fire Daughter
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Fire Daughter »

Mom told me to check this out. Looks cool. Though I have no idea how to play these games.
For Myles--
When evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love

For Mom--
Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Fly...fly high against the sky...
Thank you, thank you, thank God for you