The new Tool thread that shouldn't be deleted

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Cail
Lord

The new Tool thread that shouldn't be deleted

Post by Cail »

The old one apparently got whacked by accident and can't be recovered, so....

Whoo hoo! TOOL!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I'm so sorry TOOL fans, I was asked to delete the Michael Jackson thread, but instead ended up erasing one of my best threads ever and probably THE coolest one in Vespers. I should be publicly flogged, though maybe for a shorter time than Bernie Madoff. I tried with Vain to see if there was any way to resurrect the thread-but there's not-it's possible that we might import an automatic archiving function to make sure this doesn't happen again. We're working on it.
Wiki wrote:Tool is a Grammy Award-winning American rock band from Los Angeles, California, formed in 1990. Since its inception, the band's line-up has included drummer Danny Carey, guitarist Adam Jones, and vocalist Maynard James Keenan. The current bassist is Justin Chancellor, who has been with the band since 1995. Tool is known to have rigorous touring schedules in support of their albums, they have performed well on charts worldwide, and have sold an estimated 9.25 million records in the US alone.

Tool emerged with a heavy metal sound on their first album Undertow, at a time when the genre was dominated by thrash metal, and later reached the top of the alternative metal movement with the release of their second album, Ænima, in 1996. Their efforts to unify musical experimentation, visual arts, and a message of personal evolution continued with their third record Lateralus in 2001 and their most recent album, 10,000 Days, released in 2006, gained the band critical acclaim and success around the world. Due to Tool's incorporation of visual arts and relatively long and complex releases, the band is generally described as a style-transcending act and part of progressive rock and art rock. The relationship between the band and today's music industry is ambivalent, at times marked by censorship and the band members' insistence on privacy
'09 US tour dates:
22 Aug Pomona, CA Epicenter 09 Festival
08 Aug CHICAGO, IL LOLLAPOLOOZA
07 Aug Cincinnati, OH PNC Pavilion
05 Aug Toronto CANADA Molson Amplitheater
04 Aug Kingston/Ontario CANADA K Rock Center
02 Aug Manchester, NH Verizon Wireless Arena
01 Aug Jersey City, NJ ALL POINTS WEST FESTIVAL
30 Jul FAIRFAX, VA PATRIOT CENTER
29 Jul CHARLOTTE, NC BOJANGLE'S COLISEUM
27 Jul DULUTH, GA GWINNETT ARENA
25 Jul Dallas, TX Nokia Theater at Grand Prairie
24 Jul SAN ANTONIO, TX AT&T CENTER
22 Jul RIO RANCHO, NM SANTA ANA STAR CENTER
21 Jul PHOENIX, AZ US AIRWAYS ARENA
19 Jul Salt Lake City, UT EnergySolutions
18 Jul DENVER, CO THE FIELDS at Dick's Sporting Goods

Last edited by danlo on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 9 times in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

Maynard is my hero despite his frowning on hero-worship.
Meets or Exceeds International Humane Kill Standards.

Perpetual Motion or Until the Rubber Band Wears Out Motion
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

OK. A fresh start!

Here's my current favourite - random clip included - Right in Two
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

Everyone should listen to Disgustipated. Right now.

And when I get my tattoo of a carrot holding a sign that says "Let the Rabbits Wear Glasses" I'll post it here and you all will understand.
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Another favourite of mine from 10,000 Days - Vicarious

I know what the song is about (the lyrics are awesome), but if anyone has any insights on the video clip :? - typical wierd Tool sh*t, I guess is the most appropriate answer...
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

kicking my soul into the ground

Amazing stuff guys!!!!!
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Australian radio station TripleJ are counting down a user voted hottest 100 of all time.

They just played 46 & 2 by Tool. AWESOME!!

It's been a long time since I listened to it, it's got some of the best drumming from about 4:30 onwards that I've heard.

Enjoy! 46 & 2
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Yeah, 46 & 2 is one of my favourite Tool songs. 8)

Another favourite: Parabol/Parabola
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Oh yeah! I've always loved the transition from Parabol to Parabola (at the appropriate volume of course), and also the ending guitars.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

mood> sad can't afford to go to the show today and have a sick child to tend to (ear infection)... :(
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Thank you. Thank you very much. It's great to be here. It's so very nice to be appre...

*looks around*

Oh. Sorry.

*tries not to disturb anyone while leaving*
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Any word on a new Tool album sometime in the foreseeable future? My Tool CDs are wearing out... I need new stuff :)

Perfect Circle is ok for a filler... but it's just not the same as Tool
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

Akasri wrote:Perfect Circle is ok for a filler... but it's just not the same as Tool
Hmmm ... saw Perfect Circle some years back when they opened for NIN and thought they were pretty good. I guess now I will have to check out Tool. Seems like I have been saying that for years...
Any recommendations for a Tool newbie as to where to start? Disgustipated sounds great just on the title alone but how about other folks thoughts?
... nobody I know.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I'd personally recommend the album AENIMA for classic TOOL. I think it would be a good place to start.

Some great songs on it: Stinkfist, Eulogy, 46 & 2 (linked above), Aenema....
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Akasri wrote:Perfect Circle is ok for a filler... but it's just not the same as Tool
So true. Tool lite.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Interesting that people always say that, since most of APC's material is written by Billy Howerdel (who's not in Tool, obviously). I suspect it's mainly the effect of Maynard's voice.

Anyway, my opinion on A Perfect Circle versus Tool is similar to my opinion on Megadeth versus Metallica: Tool (Metallica) at their best are better than APC (Megadeth) at their best, but APC (Megadeth) is more consistent in quality. I find Tool's songs vary hugely from brilliant to irritating. In any case, I think APC are distinctive enough to deserve recognition separate from Tool. When I saw them on the 13th Step tour, someone just to my right shouted "Go back to Tool!" over and over and over for the entire set, which annoyed many people judging by the snarling around me.

I second StevieG's Aenima recommendation. That was my entry point to Tool, and I think it strikes the best (and most accessible) balance between the undiluted rage of early Tool and the labyrinthine musings of later Tool. My first Tool experience was Stinkfist, but IIRC what sold me on them was H.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

My first Tool album was Lateralus. After hearing it, I immediately went out and got Aenima. Either one would probably be a good intro to the band, but yeah, Aenima is probably the better of the two overall.

They are both great though :)
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Aenima is more accessible than Lateralus. But then again, APC is more accessible than Tool. I don't think this means "more consistently good," I just think it means easier to get into. There are a *few* Tool songs that I skip. But mostly it's because they are emotionally draining and require quite a commitment to sit down and take that particular journey (i.e. not easily accessible). But this doesn't mean they are boring. Sometimes I just want a quick fix. :twisted:
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

Thanks to all for the recommendations. I will have to save up a few bucks and check them out. Of course, in another thread Danlo has me wanting to save up for some Neil Young back catalog, too. Cr@p...
... nobody I know.

Return to “Vespers”