Valley of Eden -Public Submissions

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Cryak
Giantfriend

Valley of Eden -Public Submissions

Post by Cryak »

I could see now that I hung near the wall, in one crack of many, radiating from the Central Shaft. It was the luck of the Gods that where I hung was very near the Northern wall. I spied a small ledge in the stone face where, with much difficulty, I now lay. The terror of building enough momentum to reach this ledge will never leave me.

I have no food or water, and it is terribly cold. Soon I will have to climb to the forest below, but I do not think my mind it up to the task. I don't know why I write, when death is certain, except that I feel it is my destiny to ensure the knowledge of this place is preserved.
Last edited by Cryak on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From a single Acorn, a mighty Oak
Cryak
Giantfriend

Post by Cryak »

Deadline One: Friday, July 10.
Email Submissions to: scarkeeper(at) gmail (dot) com
From a single Acorn, a mighty Oak
Tulayev
Servant of the Land

Post by Tulayev »

Someone approaches the cave. It is Baas. Of course, he must be told. I but awaited his questions.

"Shaman? Are you within?"

"Yes." *I exit my cave.* "I greet you, honored leader." *deep bow*

"And I you." *bow*

"What brings you to my home?"

"None have seen you in many days, shaman. Is all well?"

"So far, yes." His look of concern is expected. And appropriate. "There are powers in the Valley. Some newly strengthened. Others newly arrived. I have been speaking with some of them."

"What are their intentions? Is there danger?"

"It does not appear so. I have discerned no ill-will from any of them, toward the Mukuri, or toward anyone else. Most appear to be curious. And friendly. One is lost, and looking for a way home. Although I have yet to understand where or what that home is."

"I am uneasy with the thought of new powers in our home. But you have never failed in your duties to the Mukuri, shaman. Please keep me informed. And tell me if you have needs." *bow*

"I will, honored leader." *deep bow*
Gods_Favored_Hunter
Servant of the Land

Post by Gods_Favored_Hunter »

Most Favored awaited word, the most promising young Wayfinder had said he scented what might be the Great Prey the People sought, and gone to course its trail, and stalk it, and feed the People. While that one was hunting the Spirit Knowledge, Most Favored had heard of the others living in this place, and wished to learn more of them. Were they Honorable Prey, or were the merely Food? Could there be gain for the People?
Melusina
Servant of the Land

Post by Melusina »

Having left the discussion with the others, I dissolve and merge myself into us within the circulating Source.

As our awareness expands, we become aware of other concerns within the Valley. The one who calls herself Melusina would address one of these situations best. Can she do so to the best interest of all? Or will she manipulate the situation to suit her own inquisitiveness?

We must trust...
As he rushed to quench his thirst,
A fountain spring appeared before him
And as his heated breath brushed through the cool mist,
A liquid voice called, "Son of gods, drink from my spring".

The water tasted strangely sweet.
Behind him the voice called again.
He turned and saw her, in a cloak of mist alone
And as he gazed, her eyes were filled with the darkness of the lake.
pixL
Servant of the Land

Post by pixL »

From the edge of Tall-Chee Wood I watch pixL spin out of the meeting place and zoom beyond sight. Folding up my spy-glass I carefully pack away the prism and mirror into the knapsack.
"Better safe than sorry," I mutter to myself.
Munching on what's left of the rabbit, I take the trail that leads to texL's cottage.

If I hurry there may still be time for a game of Gin Rummy before bedtime.

-------

The smell of breakfast drew me out from under the quilt. A soapstone basin had been filled with water and placed in a corner. So I clambered out of bed and quickly got dressed.
After I'd washed and dried my face I took some time to gaze out of the window. Things looked pretty much as they always did. The ax stuck out obliquely from the log-pile. Linen fluttered on the line. A wicker basket rolled and tumbled through the vegetable garden. The storm would be here soon, I thought. Damn those crones!

I went into the next room and sat down at the table.
texL was busy at the stove and kept her back to me as she spoke.
'I didn't hear you get in last night,' she said.
'It was late,' I replied. 'Didn't want to wake you.'
'How did it go?' she asked.
I chewed on the bread between bites of bacon. And as I ate, I described all that had happened on the Valley Floor. She listened without saying a word. When I'd told her all there was to tell she sighed deeply, then sat down next to me. I could see she had been crying.
'A Water Spirit! A fairy! How can they be of any help to us?'
'They know the Valley better than we do,' I said. 'And I'm sure they have magical powers. But! If they can't help, then they're sure to know others who might!'
'The one you call Khar-rris'Shrach - or the shaman, Tulyev - they're the ones we need. You must go back. Try again.'
I reached out to touch her hand, but she was already getting up from her chair.
'I must go,' she said.
'So soon?'
'The curate's expecting me. He doesn't like to be kept waiting.'
I smiled up at her. 'Auld Dougie can wait a while!'
She wrapped herself in a shawl, then smiled back.
'You know I can't. And besides, I owe him a favour. Where do you think I got the eggs for your breakfast!'
'And a very tasty breakfast it was too,' I said.
'You know what!,' I continued, as I put the empty dish by the wash bucket, 'it's been ages since we took a walk up Scragy Hill.'
But when I turned round, she was gone.

I resisted the urge to go after her. Instead I visualized her climbing the stile. She would then walk through the meadow and into the lane that leads to the village. And making her way across the square she would finally reach the old kirk. But, all too soon, my reverie was interupted. The wind had begun to howl through the eaves and the windows rattled in the frames. Fetching my things, I too hurried out the door. I didn't look back. I had no wish to see the cottage and its surroundings dissolve and disappear with the storm.
Servant of the Land

Post by 10001110101 »

Technical Manual on the A1-A Automaton

Revision 2

18 September 9 I.V.

Foreward

The A1-A Automaton is a multi-use, self-sufficient, self-propelled labor and cogitational device. It and subsequent models are fully the property of the Blake, McIvers, Pike, and Park Expedition (BMP&P Ex.). Under no circumstances should the A1-A be operated or maintained by outside personnel without the express written consent of BMP&P. The dissemination of this manual shall in no way construe such permission, nor should the contents and its intellectual property be copied or used as the basis for similar inventions. In the event that the expedition disbands, all rights will return to Martin McIvers.

This page intentionally left blank.

Table of Contents

1. Introduction

1.1 Outline of the manual
1.2 Objective and scope
1.3 Defnitions

2. Set-up

2.1 Assembling the A1-A
2.1.1 List of parts
2.1.2 List of required tools
2.2 Keying the A1-A to the V/E-field
2.3 Powering on the A1-A

3. Operation

3.1 Addressing the A1-A
3.2 Short list of voice commands
3.3 Remote operation
3.4 Remote monitoring
3.5 Assigning group function
3.6 Unassigning group function

4. Maintenance

4.1 Routine maintenance functions
4.2 Initiating built-in test
4.3 Powering down for ma...
Orlando
Ramen

Post by Orlando »

*sigh*
Shalaylie
Servant of the Land

Post by Shalaylie »

Shalaylie enters Thripsie Shee and glides over to the Fountain where her mother, the Elder Queen, sang to the birds that flew about her head.

"Mother, I have much to tell you."

Shanien paused in her singing and turned her crystal eyes upon her daughter.

"Speak then, Shalaylie."

"The awakenings that you spoke of? I think they are beginning. I have witnessed one, or three. I am not sure which. And then, there was a great Lizard, who spoke of Prey and Food. It made little sense to me. Mother, Melusina emerged as well."

The Elder Queen pondered in silence for what would have been a long while, if time were measured in the Shee.

"We must withdraw, remain in the Shee. No more adventures Shalaylie beyond the Great Fall."

Shalaylie only blinked at her mother. How could she possibly remain within the Shee now?
Melusina
Servant of the Land

Post by Melusina »

...burble, gurgle...
freely flow
circulate to nourish
peek above to know

fall over the Shee
rain upon the huts
infiltrate the marshes
sooth away all cuts

Salmacian, en guard!!
Mukuri, stand alert.
The People Chosen to Hunt All, be wary.
Fairy, yet flirt.

Three-in-One, an enigma.
Three others remain silent.
Melusina manifests where needed
should there arise...the violent.
As he rushed to quench his thirst,
A fountain spring appeared before him
And as his heated breath brushed through the cool mist,
A liquid voice called, "Son of gods, drink from my spring".

The water tasted strangely sweet.
Behind him the voice called again.
He turned and saw her, in a cloak of mist alone
And as he gazed, her eyes were filled with the darkness of the lake.
Shalaylie
Servant of the Land

Post by Shalaylie »

Humming a song of revealing, I seek out the one who follows and watches. Yet, whoever, whatever the one may be remains hidden from my sight.

The shades hear, and look up as I fly above them. One calls to me...
Gods_Favored_Hunter
Servant of the Land

Post by Gods_Favored_Hunter »

Khar-rris'Shrach returned to the People, bearing wonderful news. He had learned much of the spirits. Enough to know he yet had much to learn, but the People no longer Hunted blindly among the unseen powers. He immediately started teaching others. Soon, soon, there were several who were earning the title of "Hunters-of-the-Unseen". Gods Most Favored even raised Khar-rris up, naming him as "Great-Stalker-of-Spirits", bringing him into the High Pack, the leadership council of the People. Now he stood equal with the master of lore, called the "Hunter-of-Knowledge"; the leader of hunters, the"Prime Predator"; the warleader "Master-of-Prey"; and the head of the nurturers, "Killer-of-Killers", so named for the pre-sentient role performed, namely defending the nests...with sentience that expanded to all aspects of young-raising.

Others had news to share. The bounty of the gods was truly manifest for the People here. A wonderful cave system had been found...hot springs warmed the tunnels, as well as bathing and drinking, there was much workable stone near, both flint and obsidian, the herds of Food-beasts were bountiful and varied, and Prey also were numerous.

The People had to prove their worth of this bounty, however. The gods sent a mighty Prey-beast as a test. A great Cave Bear, glowing golden, came to the caves. Upon its hind legs it stood fully 30' tall. The People fell upon it, Claws-that-Slay flashing in blinding blurs, obsidian spear tips glinting in the light as the missiles flew, they strove to Hunt this Prey. The divine Prey's terrible claws and teeth soon shone slickly red, as not all of the People were fast enough or clever enough in this Hunt. But soon, the People were triumphant! All manner of bear were considered worthy prey, capable of fighting back quite well indeed, fearsome predators in their own right. Their meat quite an honor, and a delicious treat, their fur a mark of status. But this bear, unmistakably not of this world, was greater. Khar stopped them from taking it's fur. "Of its meat, we should, we must, eat. The claws and teeth, we shall take to be worn only by those most worthy. But its fur we must not take, to respect the spirit of this Prey."

Return to “Valley of Eden”